Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League - Saturday 23/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
dler

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:55 pm

Bugger. 1-2.

All their possession, it's hardly surprising.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Top on goal difference with Lincoln.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Get in me babbies!

Good result lads.

Bring on the salop now.

UTS :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Not the best game - but you can only beat what is in front of you. Brizzle were truly awful - we wern't much better - but the major difference is we took our chances.
Midfield was poor again - Keates in particular looked jaded. I wasn't impressed with Bedeau when he came on - didn't look interested.
Main bright point - Scott Dann and Westwood, both of whom were outstanding.

That's about as much as I can say - 3 points, top of the league, winning ugly away doesn't bother me!

BTW - what a scorcher 25+ degrees for those of us on the terrace, of course the YGA's in the marque were in the shade so wont have noticed. Pedro, Pedro give us a song!

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Who was the bird, Pedro was sitting next to? :shock:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Timothy_Claypole wrote:Who was the bird, Pedro was sitting next to? :shock:

:D :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Don't remember seeing you today TC :wink:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:33 pm

Well - you know what jorge said:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Im only into Blond aussie girls.

Think little brother has been getting his birds mixed up with mine :wink:

baghouse

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:44 pm

Bristol Rovers were awfull
We were awfull
The Ref was awfull
The linesmen were awfull
The away terrace was awfull
and the bloody sun was in my eyes!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Interested now Pedro :wink: :wink: :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:46 pm

Pedro wrote:Im only into Blond aussie girls.

He was with a very nice lady on the uts night

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Basically, started off well, scored the two goals and sat back, a little too deep for my liking :shock:

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:33 pm

cheesebag wrote:Basically, started off well, scored the two goals and sat back, a little too deep for my liking :shock:

A little too deep :shock: :shock:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Timothy_Claypole wrote:
cheesebag wrote:Basically, started off well, scored the two goals and sat back, a little too deep for my liking :shock:

A little too deep :shock: :shock:

At least nothing will tear. :oops:

sj
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:14 am

I was in the marque and it was good but I could not stand up when requested :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:51 am

sj wrote:I was in the marque and it was good but I could not stand up when requested :wink:

I too was in the marque but the bride and groom never turned up. HOW MANY TIMES did the stewards check your tickets????? :shock:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:54 am

Not the best of performances by all accounts, but 3 very welcome points and top of the league . Bit worried about this defending to deep , but we are scoring goals and picking up points its working lets just enyoy it .

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:23 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Pedro wrote:Im only into Blond aussie girls.

He was with a very nice lady on the uts night

Hello possum...

It was alright in the marquee in the first half...apart from the crazy kid trying to bite my arm :shock: :lol: , the moaning oldies and Mr. Dame Edna. However, there was a post in my way, and I couldn't help think I was sitting in the beer tent at Edgbaston. Whilst the second half on the terrace was highlighted by Gladiators music, "Pedro give us a song" and crys of "Tennis". And sun. Lots of sun.

And that was the highlight. The game was dull. We were poor (and I thought Keates and Butler in particular looked absolutely knackered from the start), but we defended well and other than one cracking save by Ince and the goal, they never created a decent chance. Rovers were even worse, and for all their possession still looked on a par with the likes of Stockport and Rochdale. Two banks of four finally clicked away from home, and we reduced them to taking pot-shots from 25/30 yards out which were never going to test Ince.

Encouraging to score two from set pieces, and encouraging to see Lieutenant Dann, as he has been christened by some, play so well.

I'm worried though that in a couple of weeks we could have some real issues of tiredness with the likes of Butler - we need Nicholls and Constable to be back to full fitness by then or we could be left very short up front.

Roll on the journey to Middle England complete with Dwarves and Goblin-like creatures, or Shrewsbury as it is known by the majority. We are top of the League (Thanks very much Peterborough's defence x x x)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Lt. Dann was Christened last season. ;)

A good day out in the very unexpected sunshine. Scorchio!

Not a very good performance at all but it didn't have to be after we'd taken advantage of their poor defending of set pieces. They had lots of possession but didn't create many clear cut chances. The ones they did we defended well or Ince saved well.

It might have been a different story if they'd pulled one back earlier but they didn't because their finishing was awful.

We'll need to play better to beat Salopshite.

What a good day. We are top of the league and Millwall, Sjoke and Rotherscum and all struggling.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:42 pm

A bit late with this, and I'm sure a lot will have already been said, but here are my thoughts on yesterday:

Plus points

The result.
We are top of the league.
Two excellently executed goals.
Ince did OK. Two good saves. Flapped a bit but got away with it.
We responded well to Ropes going off injured - Dann MOM, Westwood not far behind.
Defence generally did their job. Fox/Taylor improved from a defensive point of view as the match wore on.
Playing poorly and winning is a sign of a successful team.
Pasties as reliable as ever.

Minus points

The central midfield. Or lack of it. Keates/Dobson together are not creative enough, in fact on that performance are not creative at all. In many ways it was a reprise of Macclesfield. Too deep, an inability to keep the ball and pass it. Keates never got near the ball most of the afternoon and Dobson just clogged it forward. Kinsella is a must at the moment to play with Dobson.

Tony Bedeau. Did not look interested, though a non existent midfield did not help him. I never thought I would say this, but Mark Wright is miles the better option at the moment.

Hector Sam. He has some good touches and holds the ball up well, but his style annoys me. IMO he does not support Butler well enough, who is often isolated far too much upfront. He does offer something different, but his attitude is not particularly good. His popularity with the fans will be tested when we are not doing so well. Needs competition for his place.

A better, more confident team than Bristol Rovers would have murdered us. Maybe there are none of those in this division, but I cannot remember a second half of a game with such poor quality.

UTS

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Tony Bedeau. Did not look interested, though a non existent midfield did not help him. I never thought I would say this, but Mark Wright is miles the better option at the moment.

As I have just said on the Bolton thread.

The Mark Wright bashers should have seen Bedeau when he came on although Wright did need to be taken off as he was average yesterday.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Tony Bedeau. Did not look interested, though a non existent midfield did not help him. I never thought I would say this, but Mark Wright is miles the better option at the moment.

As I have just said on the Bolton thread.

The Mark Wright bashers should have seen Bedeau when he came on although Wright did need to be taken off as he was average yesterday.

By taking him off, it showed what we miss when he isn't in the team. Quite a few of us pointed out that after he'd gone, there was no one holding the ball and running with it from midfield. Bedeau isn't ready yet, and he certainly doesn't strike me as a better option on the right wing than Wright. If people say Mark Wright can't track back and defend, they'll be going crazy if Bedeau starts there. Perhaps if Sam loses form completely Bedeau might get his chance up top, but until then he's going to have to work very hard to force his way in.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Didnt go but I shall be driving to the world of the salops on Tuesday,

We are top of the league....but for how long???? :roll:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:14 pm

I don't care if we're not top as long as we stay in the top 3 all season. As long as we don't get crippled by injuries I can't see that happening.

We need to build on this away win with another asap to keep the momentum going...starting with Shrewsbury where the fans will inspire the team to a better performance. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:1-2 to us. The odd goal against is creeping in away from home, but I think we'll have too much for them. Butler and Dann with the goals.

Near as damn it with the prediction.
:wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:52 pm

A massive away victory to take us top and there's just 87 posts on the match thread by Tuesday morning? Doesn't anyone have anything to moan about?

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season