Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bolton (H) Carling Cup 2nd Round- 19/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:30 pm

I get Marcus :D

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:33 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:How many fast tricky wingers actually make hard crunching challenges??... answers on a postcard.

Lay off Wrighty.

BTW Geoff, was that your lad Chris that I spoke to last night walking back from the ground?

Yes Kev, Chris was the (27 year-old) lad with me, thought you'd met him before mate. :?

No Geoff, I had heard you talk about him but never met him.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:41 pm

Pedro wrote:I get Marcus :D

Thats even worse ! unless your name is actually Marcus of course :D

Metfan Sausage is fine :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:because hes the most overated player ever, he might run at people but when does he ever run past them??

Lancs, I'll say the same thing to you that I did to Rob and Leamore last week. Why does Wright need to beat anybody and get to the byline, his crossing has been excellent from deep and is finding his man 9/10 at the moment. He even came out with a couple of short crosses (which I heard people moan at!) even though it was clear he was picking out Butler on the edge of the box who applauded him for it.

So, back to my original point, how many times have you seen David Beckham beat a man with his pace or skill and get to the byeline before crossing? And has he or has he not been the best right winger in this country in the last 10 years?

So shut it. ;)

:lol:

I swear I have de ja vu...I'm sure I heard that exact same thing about 15 hours ago!

But its spot on, and I agree with you every week on every match thread. Name me 10 'tough tackling', 'hard as nails' right wingers in the modern game, and I will never, ever praise Mark Wright again. They simply are not around. Wright is there to create goals - he's done that 5 or 6 times this season at least.

And the myth he doesn't beat players? I'm sorry, but that is quite simply untrue. He did in the first half yesterday, he did in the second half yesterday. He did on Saturday. He did the week before. How I can be confident in saying that he beats his man is that in the first half I sit about 15 yards from the corner flag of the end we attack in the TXT999 stand - he beats his marker, as Sheff would say *but not about Mark Wright*, its a FACT.

He was man of the match by a mile, and the sooner people realise that the Mark Wright Appreciation Society are God's chosen people, the better it all gets for everyone.

As for everyone else, I have never seen us play 90 minutes at such a full tempo in my life. Total credit to Whitney and Money, because they lasted the pace with a Premiership team who I thought looked capable of being fantastic. Yes they play long ball, but they always find their man and they are played with such pace. Roper and Westwood were immense at the back...I'm just waiting for the next person to say "Ian Roper is slow", because you can now add £50 million man Nicolas Anelka to the list of pacy strikers that Ropes has more than matched.

I thought Kris Taylor had a fantastic game, and covered a lot of ground. He was flying in to tackles, and the partnership with Fox makes us look so solid down that left flank. Pead is still suspect, but he did well going forward and never stopped working.

Dobson did well. Last night he did the sensible job, and let Keates do all the chasing around. Keates, by the way, played the total replica of his game in the Play-off final. Thank God we didn't go to extra-time, because he would have had to crawl off. He was out on his feet.

Butler and Sam worked very hard and did all the chasing you'd expect of them. Butler's positional play nearly created a couple of clear cut chances, and he put the goal away well.

Whilst I'd have liked to have seen him brought on earlier, Ishmel's first touch summed him up and turned Nick Hunt inside out. He plays without fear, and I think we'd have really stretched them more than we did if we'd have had Wright with Ishmel on the other flank for longer.

A superb game - I can't think of a game of football I've enjoyed that much in years. It even had a haircut of yga proportions in the guise of Ian "Where is Suzi?" Walker.

Great post Jorge, brilliantly summed-up.

I've no axe to grind over the Ishy vs Mark Wright issue, I'm not normally MW's greatest fan, but he has improved immeasurably this season, and he WAS my MoM last night for a great attacking performance, and I don't just mean second-half METFAN!

Lancs, it's all very well scoring points about Ishy beating his man, crossing and then tackling back. The first two points are exactly what MW did many times last night. Chasing back with Ish's energy? Well when you're brought on with 10-15 minutes to go you can easily do that can't you, knowing that you're not going to burn yourself out in that short time. It's maybe a bit different when you're on for the full 90 minutes, and I happen to think that's very relevant to the situation.

ut to

dannyv

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Even though we were cheated by Diouf i thought bringing fox off was a mistake. Even though Ish played well last night both of the goals came down the left side and if Fox was on maybe we would be more solid down that side but still a great performance from the lads..

UP THE SADDLERS!!!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:05 am

A midweek cup tie at home, and just 154 posts on the match thread by Saturday? Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:52 pm

Stu wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:when was the last time wright did a sliding tackle!!!

Why would you want anyone to slide tackle? First rule to defenders is to stay on your feet. If you make a slide tackle and miss, the player skips past and you are out of the game. It should only be used as a last possible option.

More so, why on earth do you want your right winger throwing himself into last ditch slide tackles?

I don't want him running around like a lemon on speed chasing up and down after the ball, as he has enough running to do down the flanks, and thats one of my concerns of Ishmel.

A wingers job is to provide width, put crosses in the box and offer protection when needed to his right back... Wright is doing that, and doing that effectively.

but wright doesnt offer much if any protection to the full back, which is why pead and westwood (i know hes not really a right back) look uncomfortable with two players running at them.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Wright does offer very good protection and did so again depsite being stretched all he first half and made to run all over the place by the Bolton players. trouble is people don't see the running he does, they just see his inability to get stuck in. It's called being blinkered.

Pead and Westwood look uncomfortable because neither are very good full backs.

Wright was poor at Bristol though, but Bedeau was worse...not that certainly is a case of someone not offerering his full back protection.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Wright does offer very good protection and did so again depsite being stretched all he first half and made to run all over the place by the Bolton players. trouble is people don't see the running he does, they just see his inability to get stuck in. It's called being blinkered.

Pead and Westwood look uncomfortable because neither are very good full backs.

Wright was poor at Bristol though, but Bedeau was worse...not that certainly is a case of someone not offerering his full back protection.

As I keep saying, if people can name me 10 right wingers in the modern game who fly into tackles, who track all the way back and still have enough energy to be an attacking force, are 100% accurate with their crosses, never fail to beat their man, are built like a rock, never shirk a tackle and pop up with 15 goals a season, I will stop praising Mark Wright. The things we ask of a League Two winger are ridiculous. He was poor yesterday, but he still did a better job than Bedeau, and I thought we looked weaker without Wright there. Wright has at least 4 or 5 assists this season, and he's created countless other chances. Simply put, the days of Wright being the 'weak link' are long gone. I'd also wager that a key factor in Pead and Westwood's weakness with "two players running at them" are down to the fact that they are not natural right backs - and not solely down to the player in front of them.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season