Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (H) League - Saturday 16/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:04 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
God I've read some incorrect stuff in my time, BUT .........

"cars" is a plural, which means that the apostrophe is TOTALLY wrong !
One car - two cars. One car - two cars. One car - two cars. One car - two cars. One care - two cars. One car - two cars - there !

Sorry Phil, just kiddin' around. Phil you make some good points, Wright is far from the complete winger or the finished article. He IS improving though IMHO, playing quite well, and worth his place from the members of the squad that we have.

Comparing him to Peron though - well - that's a bit of a tall order. JP was magnificent, silky smooth, total class, and even mentioning Pedro and Ainsworth in the same sentence is hardly appropriate, never mind Mark Wright.

However, for the time being MW is laying on some decent balls, some decent crosses, worrying defences with his pace, and he's not out of place in this division. I think you are a bit unkind calling him a Conference player, he IS better than that.

I'm not his number one fan by any means, but you are being extremely hard on the lad. There were plenty of examples today of players who gave the ball away, produced poor passes, treated the ball like a hot potato, when the situation was crying out for a Kinsella to put his foot on the ball and calm things down. So to dedicate so much time to ripping Wright apart is a bit mis-placed IMHO.

Today we took a lot of pressure, plenty of incoming shots, loads of corners, Clayton saved us more than once, and Macclesfield themselves saved us at times with some awful shooting. To be honest I think a great deal of it was self-inflicted, but the blame for that lies at the feet (and heads) of several players who simply would NOT control the ball and keep it.

I wouldn't have reserved so much time for Wright this evening, there were plenty of other problems out there to discuss without picking on one individual.

Beat me to it Geoff!!

I think central midfield is certainly more of an issue at the moment. If you can't hold onto the ball then you will always be under pressure. I would like to see Kinsella next to Dobson, especially in more testing games or at least starting and Keates to replace him when his legs start to go in a game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:08 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:I think central midfield is certainly more of an issue at the moment. If you can't hold onto the ball then you will always be under pressure. I would like to see Kinsella next to Dobson, especially in more testing games or at least starting and Keates to replace him when his legs start to go in a game.

On the subject of Keates, is it just me who is bewildered by the reaction of some of our fans to some of Keates' play?
If he does an overhead kick, causing the ball to go out of play for a needless throw-in, he gets rapturous applause (particularly from the FTG lower). If he boots the ball miles up in the air, he gets the same reaction, even if it would have been easier for him to bring the ball under control and play it simple.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:18 pm

I have never been a fan of Mark Wright but some of the comments about him are crazy. We know what we will get from Wrighty so I dont see why people try to put him down. He has done quite well this season, I have missed two games this season and the games I have been at Wrighty has been probably the second best player so far.

Anyway getting off the (pointless) Wrighty subject WE WON and yet again we did not conceed! We have gone 450 minutes at home without conceeding a goal (surely a record Leamore?) I think that will end Tuesday night but who knows? I thought Wrighty and Westwood had very good games today aswell as Ince (who yet again got questioned about his kicking despite having his kicking leg heavily strapped up!!!). Hector Sam finally scored and Scott Dann proved he is our super sub. 5 games, 5 wins, twelve goals scored and none conceeded, it is very much FORTRESS BESCOT once more.

Keep it up lads.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:07 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Keep it up lads.

Not the first time you've said that I bet.

Long time since I last made a joke, eh Kev ? :wink:

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:08 pm

good post phil,
we are doing ok but one thing bothers me,when the opposition have a corner why do we have to have everyone in our own box?as soon as we clear it comes straight back,wright cant head or tackle but is quick so leave him on the halfway line as a threat to the opposition.
otherwise ok

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 pm

BEACON SADDLER wrote:good post phil,
we are doing ok but one thing bothers me,when the opposition have a corner why do we have to have everyone in our own box?as soon as we clear it comes straight back,wright cant head or tackle but is quick so leave him on the halfway line as a threat to the opposition.
otherwise ok

Agree. I can understand why Butler comes back as he is good in the air, but I would leave Wright and Sam (or one of them) on the halfway line to give their defenders something to think about.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:34 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I think people need to watch a few videos of a proper right winger because this over-rating of Mark Wright is spiralling out of control!

On the Ball
Running past people
On the ball mark is very nervous. He has pace, but doesn't use it, he never ever knocks it past his man, he nearly always turns inside his man and then tries to cross, which in turns creates an easier-to-defend situation for the defenders. His crossing is tediously average and terribly inconsistent. He's capable of placing the ball on someones head, but rarely looks up - most of his crosses today were catching practice for the keeper.

Passing
Marks passing has improved over the past couple of seasons, but he still has a poor passing range

First Touch
He's got an awful first touch - see today when he let the ball just slide past him - thats terrible, its basic football. He gave the ball away several times in todays game because his touch let him down.

Off the Ball
Making Runs
Rarely makes a burst forward, mostly because he's asleep most of the time.

Making Tackles
Non existant, he wimps out of any physical contact.

General awareness
He's comotosed if he isn't on the ball, so many times today, their left back had gone walk about, Wright, instead of giving Keates or Dobson an option by bursting down the right wing, just stands square of the ball and to the right.

All in all, he's average at best - but to give him the Man of the Match because of the hyperbole that is surrounding him at the moment is quite ridiculous - why people can't see how poor a footballer he is - is completely beyond me, but I suspect it has something to do with us not having had a decent winger for a long long time, thus making Wright look decent. Don't people remember Matias, Ainsworth, Peron? They were proper wingers, they knew how to beat their man, they knew that crosses coming in behind a defender were much harder to defend than crosses coming in infront of defenders, they knew how to find space, they tackled hard - Mark Wright just can't do any of these things.

I think people see Mark Wright as a good player because he is, essentially our only outlet from midfield - almost all of our attacking play comes through passing the ball to him and letting him do his thing - that doesn't mean 'his thing' is any good. But because all our attacking play comes through him he seems to get a lot of plaudits. The reason the attacking play goes through him is because 95% of the time Dobson and Keates are sitting very deep, and having Fox on the left is like having two left backs playing - so you see what I mean, Wright sees the ball a lot, but it doesn't mean he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I just can't stand to see a player pussy out of 99% of challenges like him, get one half decent cross in per game, never beat his man, and lay off one pass when 3-on-2 ... and get man of the match!! Get a half decent right winger playing for us, and you'll really see why I'm right.

Don't get me wrong, he's had one of his better games today, but technically, tactically, mentally and physically he's no better than a standard conference player - just because we haven't had a decent winger for ages don't over estimate Wright.

I'll give him credit for laying the ball off the Sam today - but I could have done that, so why does that make him Man of the Match.

I'm sorry, but a player that pussys out of challenges doesn't deserve to be a footballer, add to that his poorness all round, then compare to a proper winger...and you'll see Wright in a different light. Just please see Wright for what he is.

If you didnt know Car's existed, and some one presented you with a 1979 Yugo, you'd probably think "Wow, this is a great thing", its the same with Wright, it's been years since we've had a winger of any description, so we all think Wright is the dogs balls. It's a similar situation with strikers, for years, we hadn't had a decent striker, we'd had to make do with dross, then Martin Butler comes along, and shows us what a proper striker is - soon a winger will come along and show us what a proper winger is.

Mark Wright has got ability, he's got pace and skill and can cross a ball - just like Ish - the difference is, Ish knows that a wingers job is to beat his man, get to the byline and swing one in, and as a result, Ish will cause a defence more trouble in 10 mins that Wright will in an entire 90!

Anyway...

Decent match, still not playing that well, doing a little too much long ball stuff for my liking, I'm losing faith in Keatesy, I'd much rather see Kinsella - he may be much older, but his classyness shines through.[/u]

I hear what you're saying, Phil, and to me it sounds like "whine whine, he's not great, whine whine moan, I could pass better, moan whine moaan it's not like the old days whinge moan cry why did he get man of the match instead of my favourites cry moan whine"

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Exile wrote:I hear what you're saying, Phil, and to me it sounds like "whine whine, he's not great, whine whine moan, I could pass better, moan whine moaan it's not like the old days whinge moan cry why did he get man of the match instead of my favourites cry moan whine"

I can't believe I'm about to say this Exiley baby.....But I agree with you. :shock:

Would you like to join the MWAS?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Well said, Phil. Some of the recent eulogising of Wright has been so far "over the top" as to be ridiculous. MW has been much better this season than last - but that is damning him with faint praise. His performance levels, last season, were so low that it would be impossible to be worse! MotM, today, should have gone to Westwood or Butler, imho.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:31 pm

otherwise ok

I hate the bloody tactic of bring everyone back. As you say it just means the ball keeps coming back to us. We've been doing this regularly since Lee was in charge. I just don't understand the logic.

As for the Wright debate. I am far from being a big Wright fan, he fails to take on the defender far too often and as for making a tackle, well need I say more. However, I think he played very well today, and MOTM was (just about) deserved. Yeah, we all ahve players we don't rate that often but at least admit when they have a good game.

redalways

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Wright faded a bit in the second half because the centre of midfield was non existent. Not for the first time, Dobson was totally awol after the break.

The idea of having Kinsella and Dobson in midfield scares the hell out of me, because they are both lame ducks.

Keates and Kris Taylor would be my choice with Ishmel and Wright wide. Asbo should definitely be given a new name because he is a changed player and he deserves a start.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:56 pm

06/07 League 2 Top 10 GOAL ASSISTS

Player / Club / FL2 / CUPS / TOTAL
Jamie Forrester / Lincoln City / 7 / 0 / 7
Mark Wright / Walsall / 3 / 1 / 4
Ben Davies / Shrewsbury / 4 / 0 / 4
Simon Brown / Mansfield Town / 4 / 0 / 4
Jason Puncheon / Barnet / 3 / 0 / 3
Simon Travis / Hereford / 2 / 1 / 3
Paul Tait / Boston Utd / 3 / 0 / 3
Chris Palmer / Wycombe / 2 / 1 / 3
Micky Evans / Torquay United / 3 / 0 / 3
Jon-Paul McGovern / MK Dons / 3 / 0 / 3

From the Football League site

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:03 am

Dave Roe wrote:
otherwise ok

I hate the bloody tactic of bring everyone back. As you say it just means the ball keeps coming back to us. We've been doing this regularly since Lee was in charge. I just don't understand the logic.

As for the Wright debate. I am far from being a big Wright fan, he fails to take on the defender far too often and as for making a tackle, well need I say more. However, I think he played very well today, and MOTM was (just about) deserved. Yeah, we all ahve players we don't rate that often but at least admit when they have a good game.

Hear, hear Dave, well said, on both counts!

MoM could have gone to Wright, Westwood or Butler, maybe even Clayton Ince for one or two fine saves that kept the home-goals-against tally blank for the season to-date. Can't complain that MW got it, there wasn't a lot to choose between them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:37 am

The last effective hanger-on at opposition corners that I remember is David Kelly. He'd lurk around the half way line, tie up two defenders and make the rest of the opposition worry about the ball flying up field. Saw bits of Charlton v Portsmouth earlier and both sides did the same too.

Having said that, if DD saw lots of videos of last season, he'll have known our set-piece defending was woeful, so he's probably gone for safety in numbers.

matt3454

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:21 am

BBC have a nice match review:

Walsall equalled a club record five straight league wins with a battling home victory over Macclesfield.

Mark Wright released Hector Sam after 38 minutes and he drove home a low shot to score his first goal for the club.

Macclesfield pushed forward and Spencer Weir-Daley and Clayton Ince both missed chances to equalise in the second half.

But with a minute left, Walsall substitute Scott Dann ended their hopes as he coolly slotted home from 12 yards after being teed up by Martin Butler

So i take it the Grimsby defeat didnt count as going unbeaten in 5 matches. Clayton Ince also most of done cack if he was trying to equalise for Maccs and missed.

Whos writes the match report for BBC, is it just another dingle?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:50 am

Not sure what Hector Sam Contributes defending set peices, and would be able to hold the ball up if it did get sent up feild

I'm not so sure safety in numbers works, although it's difficult to say it's not for us, seeing as we haven't let in any goals at home.

Was listening to Sam Allardice few years back on tv, and he was saying you should never give a goal away from a set piece, if everyone does their job properly they should be the easiest thing to defend

Mind you i also heard Alan Hanson say if no mistakes where ever made, no one would ever score a goal :shock:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:04 am

Phil - Not sure where this "hyperbole" is??? Most people on this site/thread have said that "they are not his biggest fan" and have mearly pointed out that he had a good game today. More people have said this (inc. the sponsors - mind you, that doesn't give it credance!) than those that haven't. As Dave said, sometime you have to admit that a player has done well even if you dont usually rate him.

I am one of Wrights biggest critics, and can't understand why the club kept him on over the last few seasons. That said, maybe this is his level, how many better wingers have we seen play against us yet? You mention that he tries to go awround the player and get a cross in - this is something we have lacked for a long time, and something he himself never used to do. To take a player apart as you have on this thread when he was (in most peoples opinion thus far) MOTM seems a bit harsh.

Anyway, I will probably be back to slagging him off next week - its a rarity for me to praise him, but today (for yesterday) I think he deserves it.

I would still swap him for any of the others you mentioned though :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:58 am

philthesaddler wrote: an essay on 'over-rated' Mark Wright

In defence of Wrighty...

Am I right in saying that you don't think he's any good because you're comparing him to Peron (the best Walsall player I've seen and player of the season twice for Portsmouth) and Ainsworth (who has played almost all his football in the Championship)? That seems very harsh, of course he's not as good as those two, of course he'll have his faults - but we're a League Two club now and there's no way we'll be able to have wingers anywhere near as good as those two on our books. But look at the facts, he's second in the assist rankings for our division and I'd imagine most teams at our level would kill to have a player like him on their books. How often this season have we seen an oppo winger that's played as well as Wright? I would also like to know how much Conference football you've watched recently, because I watch a fair amount of non-league football and Wright's performances this season have put him so far clear of that level its untrue.

When you say a winger's job is to beat his man, get to the byline and get crosses in, you seem to have a somewhat outdated view. Our wide midfielder on the other side does none of those things, but is still contributing to the side. There are plenty of other aspects to a midfielder's role apart from that, so if Wright isn't getting ten crosses in a match it doesn't mean he's had a bad game. I'd agree with you that Ishy is a much better player, but until he's shown he can be trusted, he's not going to get a game. Another example of how we're not going to have flawless players on our books at this level.

Don't get me wrong, Wright's not outstanding - his faults are clear to see, bottling challenges, clumsy running with the ball, inconsistent crossing - but he has done a very good job for us this season. I hope he continues to perform this way. You offer a veiled criticism of him because he is 'our only outlet from midfield'. I would say it is a big plus that he is responding to the pressure put on him by playing such a role in the team. I could probably write a lengthy diatribe about the failings of most of the players in our team, but there's little point because we know our players aren't going to be perfect and they are performing well and getting results.

Final point. You say 'for years, we hadn't had a decent striker'. Fryatt? Leitao? Junior?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:03 am

copied this from another thread..couldn't be A***D to write it out again.. :D

It was my first match of the season yesterday and a few things struck me...ince did ok but you always get the feeling that a totally missjudged cross is not far away or a ball through his legs..but maybe thats because he just looks a bit ungainly or the fact that every other black goalie i have seen (and there aren't many of them) dont seem to fully understand the rules...fox and taylor looked a brilliant pairing and both looked good going forward or defending...pead and wright on the other side impressed me less though...even though i thought wright had individually the best game ive seen him have...which doesn't mean he was outstanding but its nice to see even he is improving under DD...i was left wondering what all the fuss was about Dobson..he looked very average..and his control let him down time and again...keats gave 100% as usual..sam tried to do too much almost everytime he got the ball and Butler although giving 100% never really impressed me...nice to see sam get of the mark though and it will look odd in the goal scoring columns saying Dan & Sam got the goals..p.s..i thought Dan looked a good allround player what little i saw of him.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:11 am

Defended far to deep , gave the ball far to often, we lost the midfield.
You can't fault any player for effort, commitment , and work rate.
Sam took his goal well, Wright deserved his MOTM , Although Westwood must have been a very close second. I can fully understand why DD has been leaving Pead out of the side , he was poor yesterday imo.

All in all a good battling performance against a supprisingly good Macclesfield team, but i can't help feeling we made them look better than they really are .

BTW, The result from Swindon yesterday makes our result from Tuesday look even better

UP THE SADDLERS

saddlesore

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:58 am

Interesting to hear all the critisism of Mark Wright....some of which I agree with,particularly the bottling challenges & poor control at times.However it's been a while since I've heard that kind of buzz from the Bescot crowd when one of our players pick up the ball in his own half & starts breaking for the opposistions goal.Who knows....with a bit of encouragement instead of consistent barracking - he might blosom even further.........................
I mean who would you swap him for in this division?

Walt Flanagan's Dog

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:17 am

As with Sid, yesterday was my Bescot bow for the season, for various reasons. Impressions as follows...

"Workmanlike" would be the best way to describe that performance. There was a good 20 minute spell in the second half when a Macclesfield equalizer wouldn't have been unjust; indeed, I was most impressed with their big number 4- best player on the pitch, IMO. Yet, particularly in the first half, we were full of ideas going forward, while they were very one dimensional.

Other general observations- to the eyes of someone whose last game was Merson-stewarded..... Good Lord, Money has gotten them fit- same levels of running & vigour in the last 10 minutes as the first 10. A noticably narrow game - Wright (and Fox/Taylor in the first half) caught the eye by virtue of the fact that they actually pulled wide & gave us another option on several occasions. Player by player (remember, first impressions for this campaign)....

INCE- can't argue with five straight clean sheets at home, visably laid back, but if I do manage to get to Bescot anything resembling regularly, I can see him being a heart-condition risk. Especially slow to come off his line & "sweep up" loose balls. Kicking very weak for a man his size (anyone else noticed that he kicks left-footed out of his hands, and right footed off the ground? Strange). Very affirmative coming for crosses.

PEAD- As last season really. Generally tidy, does the simple things well, just a shame that when he makes an error (one misplaced pass in the second half) it tends to be glaring.

FOX/TAYLOR- Very good in the first half, faded into anonymity for large spells in the second. Fox actually looked our biggest goal threat for the first half hour, and was unlucky not to open the scoring.

ROPER/WESTWOOD- Looked a solid partnership. Never got in each others way, which cost us a fair few goals (between our numerous centre-half pairings) last year. Ropes won everything in the air, Westwood very settled & composed.

DOBSON- Have to say, he didn't cover as much ground as previous reports had led me to expect, but as suggested elsewhere, seemed a little constricted by Keates (and vice versa), as the old "I'll sit, you go" never looked like an option.

KEATES- As above. Tracked back well on a few occasions, making one notable block in his own area.

WRIGHT- Final ball was very good, more often than not. Great run & through-ball to Sam for the first goal. Still s***s out of every 50/50 ball, though.

BUTLER- Easy to see why he's been amongst the goals. Off the ball running was superb- if Dobson/Keates could've ventured further forward to give him more options, we could've seen a bigger scorline- witness the run down the left (start of the second) and ball across the box that Wright was unlucky not to connect with.

SAM- Didn't look fit, in all honesty. Opposite of Butler- not hard to see why he hasn't been amongst the goals; plays with his back to goal a lot of the time, but gave us that "stickability" that we've lacked in recent years. Took his goal well- could've had another in the second half, but wanted one touch too many.

Subs
PICKEN- Comfortable on the ball. Bombed forward, ball at feet, on one occasion- cue subsequent nosebleed.

BEDEAU- Like Sam, looked a fair bit off full fitness. Unfair to judge at the moment, but certainly did nothing wrong.

DANN- Did what he was brought on to do- a fresh pair of legs to occupy the Macc back four for the last ten minutes. Took his goal with aplomb- didn't snatch, which he could've been forgiven for doing. Is he officially a utility man now?

Don't be too harsh........

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:18 am

Match report now with us:

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:29 am

Registered Saddler wrote:

Final point. You say 'for years, we hadn't had a decent striker'. Fryatt? Leitao? Junior?

I'll reply to the Wright points later, but on the Striker point, yes Fryatt is the only exception to what I said. But even he was learning - good but learning, and you've got to admit that as an 17 year old playing his first few games, he made the likes of Jorge, Robinson, other strikers we had look pisspoor. My assertion of not having decent strikers goes back to just after Junior / Byfield years - since then we have had nothing of note, except Fryatt - and even he was playing under a pisspoor manager, in his first few games, in a poorly performing team.

Surely you can't disagree with the main point I make about strikers that for years [at least the Merson reign] we had the likes of Robinson et al who were just awful, now we have Butler, his movement and ability on the ball make Robinson look like he shouldn't be a pro.

As for Wrighty, he's in a team performing really well, and he's only just achieving some praise. If Wrighty's performance yesterday was a benchmark for man of the match, then anyone on that pitch could have won it. Thats what I mean about hyperbole. He's on WM before the match, going on about how its time he started performing bla bla bla, the typical media friendly soundbites, and he 95% of our link between midfield and upfront. If we'd played Ish, and he'd managed to stay on the field, he'd have made Wright look like the poor link in the midfield. I'm just begging people not to give such credit to a player that in my book is one of the poorest professionals [technically, physcially and mentally] I've ever seen, just because he's seeing a lot of the ball.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:05 am

I think some people need to remember we are in division FOUR. Phil, I presume you didn't see us in division FOUR last time round and don't remember hoe crap it is? Same goes for you WFC Rob?

What do you want? World beaters?

We have players who are performing well at this level and getting us results, week in, week out. What more do you want? Warsaw Pact found the figures I was going to look for when reading this thread and shows he has more assists than almost anyone in the league so would you swap him for anyone else below him in the list? He's not perfect, none of our players, that's why they're with us in the bottom division and the sooner people realise this the sooner we can get back to supporting the team and helping them get promotion.

We beat a well organised and battling side 2-0 without playing well. We won't beat teams 5-0 every game like the other night. Accept it and enjoy it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:08 am

Yeah... some people, always like a moan

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:08 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

I'll reply to the Wright points later, but on the Striker point, yes Fryatt is the only exception to what I said. But even he was learning - good but learning, and you've got to admit that as an 17 year old playing his first few games, he made the likes of Jorge, Robinson, other strikers we had look pisspoor. My assertion of not having decent strikers goes back to just after Junior / Byfield years - since then we have had nothing of note, except Fryatt - and even he was playing under a pisspoor manager, in his first few games, in a poorly performing team.

Surely you can't disagree with the main point I make about strikers that for years [at least the Merson reign] we had the likes of Robinson et al who were just awful, now we have Butler, his movement and ability on the ball make Robinson look like he shouldn't be a pro.

As for Wrighty, he's in a team performing really well, and he's only just achieving some praise. If Wrighty's performance yesterday was a benchmark for man of the match, then anyone on that pitch could have won it. Thats what I mean about hyperbole. He's on WM before the match, going on about how its time he started performing bla bla bla, the typical media friendly soundbites, and he 95% of our link between midfield and upfront. If we'd played Ish, and he'd managed to stay on the field, he'd have made Wright look like the poor link in the midfield. I'm just begging people not to give such credit to a player that in my book is one of the poorest professionals [technically, physcially and mentally] I've ever seen, just because he's seeing a lot of the ball.

Surely Phil you can ses the difference in Wright this season , his confidence is growing with every game, don't get me wrong no big club is going to make a massive bid for him , but give the lad some some credit
he's doing a good job just look at his assists .

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Well I had been thinking that a lot of sensible thought had gone into what you were saying Phil. I don't exactly agree with you about Wright, but there is plenty of truth in some of your comments.

But then you lost it and said this :

"I'm just begging people not to give such credit to a player that in my book is one of the poorest professionals [technically, physcially and mentally] I've ever seen".

And at that point you just lost the plot and the argument as far as I'm concerned. That is one utterly crazy statement. We've already seen plenty of poorer players than Wright in the games we've played so far this season, so to describe him as "one of the poorest you've ever seen" is wrong, wrong, so wrong and so totally out of order. Sorry Phil, you just totally blew yourself out of the water with that one mate! :?

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:17 pm

there was nealry a fight breaking out in the upper yesterday, with some old bloke slagging mark wright off and another bloke sticking up for him, quite funny really as the bloke sticking up for mark wright saying to the old man "shut up you grey haired twerp"

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:30 pm

First time out to see the Saddlers this season, and grateful for the points. However, I have to say that the front page report is 'way over the top'. I thought we were fortunate. If Macc had someone who could shoot straight they would have got at least a point, I lost count of the number of efforts they had in the second half.

A lot has already been said, but the Dobson/Keates midfield, on this evidence, is not creative enough and play far too deeply. Neither of them were able to keep the ball for any considerable time. I would prefer Kinsella in the middle with Dobson, with Keates on the bench. Ok, not much pace, but Kinsella is a wiley old head, and did'nt Dobson have his best performances earlier on in the season with Kinsella?

Great to see Sam score, and he took his goal superbly. However, isn't he a bit, well, lazy? He does not seem to bother unless he has the ball and does not get forward quickly enough to support Butler, who was often entirely on his own.

Still, another three points. Cannot complain at that. I look forward to the match at the Memorial Ground next week.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season