Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (H) League - Saturday 16/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Just sifted quickly through this thread so I may be repeating what others have said.I find it hard to understand why people were disappointed with the performance-we refused to be intimidated by a big,strong side.transplant a Premiership club into this division and they wouldn't be able to win playing sublime football week after week.many games they'd just have to battle for much of the time-as Walsall did yesterday.
I think Mark Wright is improving with every game.he's learning to release the ball earlier.however am i the only one on here who feels his crossing needs to improve?I can't remember a ball into the box being touched by a Walsall player first until the ball to Sam.but he's improving fast.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:55 pm

reading more,no,i'm not the only one who still thinks his crossing needs to improve!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:01 pm

What I find amazing about the whole Wright debate is that I've barely heard a whisper about the bloke on the other flank, Fox who is far less effective than Wright, Fox escapes any critisism is seems, very very strange, offensively I think Fox is terrible :?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:22 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I think some people need to remember we are in division FOUR. Phil, I presume you didn't see us in division FOUR last time round and don't remember hoe crap it is? Same goes for you WFC Rob?

No, I'll admit, I wasn't around (as a Walsall fan) last time we were at this level.
The thing is though MMF, people aren't expecting him to be a world-beater, they are expecting him to do the 'bread and butter' things like tackling and heading - both of which he bottles out of, even when the odds of him winning the ball are clearly in his favour. Giving the ball away cheaply is something else that he has a habit of doing.
At home, I think he is an asset because he will run at people and create goals. Away from home however, he is merely a passenger I don't think we can afford.
He played well yesterday (in the first half) and he played well on Tuesday night, in what was his best performance in a Walsall shirt. I'm willing to give credit where it's due, but he is so over-hyped, it's unreal.

Feel free to continue questioning my opinion on Mark Wright if you want, but there are plenty of other Walsall fans who have the same opinion as me. Before you try to get clever with that, I'm not saying that means I'm right by any stretch of the imagination.
And another thing - where's this reference to Mark Wright being a 'boo-boy' come from? I've never heard anyone boo the guy and would never dream of doing it myself as it's not going to help him on the pitch.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:35 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I think some people need to remember we are in division FOUR. Phil, I presume you didn't see us in division FOUR last time round and don't remember hoe crap it is? Same goes for you WFC Rob?

He played well yesterday (in the first half) and he played well on Tuesday night, in what was his best performance in a Walsall shirt. I'm willing to give credit where it's due, but he is so over-hyped, it's unreal.

Mark Wright over hyped? Whatever. It's just people defending him when he receives criticism even when he's played well.

I'll say it once more because his critics don't seem to be listening.

He is a WINGER, on the pitch to create goals. He created another yesterday and put over more good crosses which we should have done better from.

The tackles etc you ask for should be better but it isn't the main part of his game....just like kicking isn't the main part of his game and defending isn't the main part of Butler's game. See my point?

Wright creates goals
Ince saves them
Butler scores them

even though they all have parts to their game they could improve on. Walsall don't have perfect players, in fact only the best clubs in the world do and even they make mistakes.

I've no problem with criticising players who make constant mistakes that cost us points and shouldn't continue to be picked but that doesn't apply to anyone so far this season.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

No, I'll admit, I wasn't around (as a Walsall fan) last time we were at this level.
The thing is though MMF, people aren't expecting him to be a world-beater, they are expecting him to do the 'bread and butter' things like tackling and heading - both of which he bottles out of, even when the odds of him winning the ball are clearly in his favour. Giving the ball away cheaply is something else that he has a habit of doing.
At home, I think he is an asset because he will run at people and create goals. Away from home however, he is merely a passenger I don't think we can afford.

Feel free to continue questioning my opinion on Mark Wright if you want, but there are plenty of other Walsall fans who have the same opinion as me. Before you try to get clever with that, I'm not saying that means I'm right by any stretch of the imagination.
And another thing - where's this reference to Mark Wright being a 'boo-boy' come from? I've never heard anyone boo the guy and would never dream of doing it myself as it's not going to help him on the pitch.

I think you have kinda hit the nail on the head there, it is the basics that really ******** me off, the bottling out of every single challenge really, really gets to me. and i think this is the main crux of why people dislike him.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:37 pm

matty_walsall4eva wrote:there was nealry a fight breaking out in the upper yesterday, with some old bloke slagging mark wright off and another bloke sticking up for him, quite funny really as the bloke sticking up for mark wright saying to the old man "shut up you grey haired twerp"

That's just the latest episode in the ucow vs "grey haired old twerp" battles. Always funny if slightly embarrasing. :P

You have to sit near the bloke to realise what a nob he is. Always moaning and slagging players off for no reason. He always used to slag Wacka off as well. :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

He is a WINGER, on the pitch to create goals. He created another yesterday and put over more good crosses which we should have done better from.

No, people are listening - you just don't like the idea that they have opinions different to yours.
A wingers main job may be to create goals, but what about the other hings they are expected to do? Making it difficult for the opposition to attack down their side, making themselves available to receive the ball from their own fullback etc?
Last season, one of the main reasons why we let so many goals in that originated from our right hand side was because Wright spent the best part of 90 minutes hiding, shirking tackles and giving the ball away cheaply.
I'm not going to go on because this doesn't happen as often as it did then (because of the level we now find ourselves at) and also because I vowed that I would judge him on this season rather than last.
The main point I'm trying to make is that people seem happy to accept the bare minimum from certain players when they could add so much to the team. Nit-picking it may be, but this isn't down to a lack of ability, it's down to a lack of effort and tactical sense.

It's not just Wright either. Hector Sam spends most of his time standing on the halfway line when we haven't got the ball. He may look good on the ball, but sometimes you can see Butler getting a bit fed up by the fact that he is doing all the donkey work, whilst Sam stands there doing nothing.

I'm not suggesting Sam and Wright (or anyone at the moment) should be dropped, but I worry that when we come up against a better side, or a side who have done their homework on us, we will come unstuck.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Lads we are 3rd in the league . Not lost at home , so why do people feel the need to slag players off .Wright every since he has put on a Walsall shirt have been slagged off by fans ( Could it be something to do who hus dad is )

In the textsexoap there are 4 blokes who sit in Block k who always slagging players off . They even moaned at Butler last Tuesday night

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:57 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

No, people are listening - you just don't like the idea that they have opinions different to yours.
A wingers main job may be to create goals, but what about the other hings they are expected to do? Making it difficult for the opposition to attack down their side

How many goals have we conceded from the right hand side? Not many that I can recall.

I never accept players that don't give 100% effort. I can take below par players if they give their all and I don't think this applies to Wright.

So he's frightened to go into challenges? That makes him a wimp not someone who doesn't give 100%.

You really need to wake up or go back in time and see some of the players wer had to endure last time in this division.

I hate these newcomer young fans who have only seen us in the higher leagues and with better players because we had the budget.

We are in Division FOUR. Accept it.

PS - You really are being ignorant to my last post Rob. You just keep going on about the missing parts to his game when I've already pointed out that no player in this league will be perfect and the main parts to his game are going well at the moment so leave it alone.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:00 pm

Have to say in Martin Butler think we have easly the best player in this league :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:01 pm

Our palyers are the best!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM promotion places!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:You really need to wake up or go back in time and see some of the players wer had to endure last time in this division.

I hate these newcomer young fans who have only seen us in the higher leagues and with better players because we had the budget.

What a pleasant attitude to have towards supporters of 'your' football club. :roll:
I hate these 'know it all' experienced supporters who think that because they've been there, done that & got the T-shirt, they have views that do not deserve to be challenged by anyone. :wink:
I do accept we're in Division Four. What I don't accept is the attitude that because we are in this league, we have to have below-par players who could do better. Maybe it will be enough to get us out of this league, but I don't think it's something that can be taken for granted.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:15 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:You really need to wake up or go back in time and see some of the players wer had to endure last time in this division.

What a pleasant attitude to have towards supporters of 'your' football club. :roll:
I hate these 'know it all' experienced supporters who think that because they've been there, done that & got the T-shirt, they have views that do not deserve to be challenged by anyone. :wink:
I do accept we're in Division Four. What I don't accept is the attitude that because we are in this league, we have to have below-par players who could do better. Maybe it will be enough to get us out of this league, but I don't think it's something that can be taken for granted.

Sorry Rob, I made that comment to end the argument because it's becoming tedious.

Anyway you've just ended the argument here:

http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=30

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh right, so you do actually read other peoples' posts then! I could suggest reasons why things differ slightly in the case of a central defender, but I've talked into this brick wall enough as it is. :wink:
Looks like it's argument officially ended then.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:32 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Oh right, so you do actually read other peoples' posts then! I could suggest reasons why things differ slightly in the case of a central defender, but I've talked into this brick wall enough as it is. :wink:
Looks like it's argument officially ended then.

Good. Thanks hypocrite. ;)

Stalky

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Just to say that I enjoyed and agreed with the match report.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ld-report/

You must either: -

i) have been watching the same match as me, or
ii) have read my comments earlier on this thread.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:43 pm

Stalky wrote:Just to say that I enjoyed and agreed with the match report.

It was watching the same game! I deliberately don't read the match threads until after I've written it, so it is just my opinion.

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stalky wrote:Just to say that I enjoyed and agreed with the match report.

It was watching the same game! I deliberately don't read the match threads until after I've written it, so it is just my opinion.

Thats my only dig with you Neil.

Match reports should be detailed accounts of the game, not your opinion. Something Geordie did better than you IMHO. May I also make a request. I like the way Geordie involved other peoples posts about the match on the front page. I kinda like that idea, maybe something to think about?

dan_h_wfc

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:12 pm

the shoutin man was in poor voice on saturday

dan_h_wfc

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:15 pm

at least on saturday the ref was better than the monty we had on tuesday

dannyv

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:15 pm

Has anyone heared that man in the F2G Middle Block around the middle of the stand that shouts things at someone called plucky :? :? He called him elton.. Very funny though :lol:
Last edited by dannyv on Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan_h_wfc

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:21 pm

ive heard that bloke hes in the middle block and whos that plucky geeza ?????

dan_h_wfc

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:25 pm

i jus found out that plucky is that stouty kid wiv glasses thats always carryin that bag around

stealth_vision

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:56 am

was he the one who shouted you grey haird c**t

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:05 am

At the end of the day , we now have a squad battling , giving 100& every game , we have a manager who knows what he is doing , and we are hard to beat. so much better than the last 2 years, Yes there is room for improvement that i'm sure will come . lets enjoy it.

UP THE SADDLERS

Or as Geordie would say "stop moaning get behind the lads" :wink:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:27 am

This was Mrs Leics' (as she is now) first Walsall match and it's fair to say she's not a football expert, but these are her thoughts.

She thinks that Pead's distribution is poor.
The Walsall defence spend too much time arguing with each other.
Wright looked a good player.
'Exocet' Dann caused her great amusement - she likes him.
Macclesfield aren't the worst team in the league.
Bescot Stadium is much better than it looks from the motorway.
The new hotel on the other hand is an 'architectural masterpiece' (I assumed this was irony).
She thought the atmosphere was pleasant but was slightly upset by the spat in the F2G middle.

Irrespective of her thoughts, which I didn't influence, I thought the defence was put under needless pressure due to a wafer-like midfield and deep defending. The criticism of Wright I witnessed was absolutely ridiculous when he'd beat one player when being roughed up by two or three at a time and Pead insisted on passing to him no matter how many players marked him.

Other than those negatives, I thought it was a professional performance. Walsall clearly weren't at their best but had enough to beat a willing if feeble Macclesfield. It was definitely a case of some players trying to keep some in hand for Tuesday.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:05 am

A record-equalling victory at home, and only 146 posts on the match thread byMonday morning? Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:16 am

Exile wrote:A record-equalling victory at home, and only 146 posts on the match thread byMonday morning? Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

Shut up and get behind the lads

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:50 am

Firstly, Mark, yes I was around last time we were in this division, albeit a young lad, but I went to several games at this level, and I remember what the football was like.

And Geoff, I have seen plenty of footballers down the years, plenty - at all kinds of levels. Wright is gifted because he has natural pace, and a wriggly nature that makes him perfect to play on the wing [probably the only reason he became a pro footballer, because based on his work rate and physicality - he'd struggle to be a pro netballer], but like I said, technically [his passing, tackling, heading], physically [his strength] and mentally [awareness] he's probably one of the poorest I've seen because he leaves so much to be desired in all three categories.

YES - he's playing much better than last season, YES - he's threatening, and some would say that is all he needs to do in this division, but for a lad of so much ability, its frustrating to see a lot of what he does turn out to be complete tripe, especially when we are a big fish in a little pond so to speak.

We know he's got ability, thats not the arguement, I just wish he'd have the balls, guts, determination and work rate to use them to his potential.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season