Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Macclesfield Town (H) League - Saturday 16/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:53 pm

philthesaddler wrote:especially when we are a big fish in a little pond so to speak.

Oh dear.

Its a shame what a few years of success can do to your fellow supporters.

:wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:19 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Firstly, Mark, yes I was around last time we were in this division, albeit a young lad, but I went to several games at this level, and I remember what the football was like.

And Geoff, I have seen plenty of footballers down the years, plenty - at all kinds of levels. Wright is gifted because he has natural pace, and a wriggly nature that makes him perfect to play on the wing [probably the only reason he became a pro footballer, because based on his work rate and physicality - he'd struggle to be a pro netballer], but like I said, technically [his passing, tackling, heading], physically [his strength] and mentally [awareness] he's probably one of the poorest I've seen because he leaves so much to be desired in all three categories.

YES - he's playing much better than last season, YES - he's threatening, and some would say that is all he needs to do in this division, but for a lad of so much ability, its frustrating to see a lot of what he does turn out to be complete tripe, especially when we are a big fish in a little pond so to speak.

We know he's got ability, thats not the arguement, I just wish he'd have the balls, guts, determination and work rate to use them to his potential.

Right, so actually he's NOT one of the poorest footballers you've ever seen then ! :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:21 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Firstly, Mark, yes I was around last time we were in this division, albeit a young lad, but I went to several games at this level, and I remember what the football was like.

And Geoff, I have seen plenty of footballers down the years, plenty - at all kinds of levels. Wright is gifted because he has natural pace, and a wriggly nature that makes him perfect to play on the wing [probably the only reason he became a pro footballer, because based on his work rate and physicality - he'd struggle to be a pro netballer], but like I said, technically [his passing, tackling, heading], physically [his strength] and mentally [awareness] he's probably one of the poorest I've seen because he leaves so much to be desired in all three categories.

YES - he's playing much better than last season, YES - he's threatening, and some would say that is all he needs to do in this division, but for a lad of so much ability, its frustrating to see a lot of what he does turn out to be complete tripe, especially when we are a big fish in a little pond so to speak.

We know he's got ability, thats not the arguement, I just wish he'd have the balls, guts, determination and work rate to use them to his potential.

Right, so actually he's NOT one of the poorest footballers you've ever seen then ! :D

Yes he is, because 95% of being a decent player is about being tough enough to get involved, being determined to make something of yourself - if Wrights scared by the slightest challenge what does that say about his committment? There's plenty of players not anywhere near as gifted as Wright thats put in triple the effort and committment. Im happy to say he's been playing well, but my original point still stands that he aint worth all the hype and hyperbole, and especially not the man of the match for what should be his staple week in week out performance!

And KJC, yes we are a big fish in a little pond.

Whats the standard been like this year? How good were Stockport, Peterborough and Rochdale?

How big is our budget compared to other clubs?

Compare attendances.

Look at our position in the League.

We are a big side in this division, thats not a blinkered view, we bloody well are - our facilities, professionalism, turnover, playing squad - almost everything you can mention about the club, puts us miles ahead of the vast majority of this league.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 am

I knew that few months you had without negativity was too good to be true. Phil, you're sounding like you did last time you "retired" from the board.

Try mixing some positive comments in now and again...to do that just think how bad last season was and then you'll realise that there's isn't really a lot to moan about at the moment whatever division we're in.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:15 am

It's called an opinion Mark. You have plenty of negative stuff to say quite often, so get off the high horse mate.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:41 am

philthesaddler wrote:It's called an opinion Mark. You have plenty of negative stuff to say quite often, so get off the high horse mate.

Difference is not EVERYTHING I say is negative which is why you get the reactions you do. I'll ignore your PM, a bit childish in my opinion.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 am

Not everything I say is negative Mark.

Trying to sort it out over a PM is quite the opposite of childish. Bringing up & mentioning that you'll ignore the Private Message is childish.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:55 am

handbags :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:03 am

saddlerken wrote:handbags :wink:

Stop being so negative!!! :D

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 am

King Crimson wrote:

yeah , get behind the lads. :o

BTW where is The UTS master of verse ?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:21 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

yeah , get behind the lads. :o

BTW where is The UTS master of verse ?

I thought that was King Crimson these days, despite that pesky transfer window putting him into temporary hibernation. It's been ages since I last read an original Geordie composition.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:22 pm

Nah . KC is king of the odes :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I thought that was King Crimson these days, despite that pesky transfer window putting him into temporary hibernation. It's been ages since I last read an original Geordie composition.

Geordie is the Saddler Lauriate. I am but a Limerick to his sonnet. :(

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:36 pm

Who's Mark ? :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:42 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Nah . KC is king of the odours :wink:

:mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:27 am

Exile wrote:

I agree Exile. But who will hear our two dissenting voices amongst the cacophony of adoration? :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:55 am

Exile wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season