Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough (H) League-Tuesday 12/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:40 am

Registered Saddler wrote: I guess there may even be grounds for criminal proceedings for something like that.

TRENDY WENDY ALERT.

No wonder this country is going down the pan.God help us.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:54 am

kevin wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote: I guess there may even be grounds for criminal proceedings for something like that.

TRENDY WENDY ALERT.

No wonder this country is going down the pan.God help us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just what i thought

Ian Gittins

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:55 am

Would the Peterborough oaf have kissed a male ref's assistant? No. It's boorish, patronising, disrespectful behaviour, worthy of a yellow card. I fail to see how that opinion represents a country "going down the pan".

Great result! Wish I'd been there!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:01 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Gerrard was NOT a disgrace, the referee very definitely WAS !

Totally agree geoff the ref was an utter disgrace , Gerrard should never have been sent off simply because there was no intent , it was more the posh strikers head meeting Gerrards foot than the other way round.
Why Sam was booked i don't know , as for Boro'2 second red card what was that all about .
Performance , brilliant .some if our passing and movement was a joy to watch , took me back to our 4th division days under Buckley.
Westwood played his best ever game for us , Dobson was outstanding ,
breaking up play and superb passing , Wright and Fox excellent. Butler ran his heart out. And before his sending off i thought Gerrard was brilliant. All in all great stuff more of the same please.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 am

Jorge14 wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Ok. :?

:lol:

Couldn't help but laugh with pity when I heard someone going "Stick to ball-tampering referee"...

If you must be racist, at least get the religion right. :roll:

I think it was to do with the fact the ref looked like Monty Panesar and he connected the two together. I dont think he intended to be racist Jorge.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:51 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Couldn't help but laugh with pity when I heard someone going "Stick to ball-tampering referee"...

I think it was to do with the fact the ref looked like Monty Panesar and he connected the two together. I dont think he intended to be racist Jorge.

That's Jorge's point... Monty Panesar is Sikh, as was last nights Ref, the ball tampering was by Pakistan, whom are muslim...

I love it when folk say things like that, they may as well put a neon sign above their head saying 'look how ignorant I am'...

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:51 am

Whilst we won 5-0 and outplayed a poor Peterboro team am I the only one thinking we didnt play as well as we could last night. I thought at times the defence looked a bit shaky especially with Benjamin causing us problems.
It really should've been 10-0. Wrighty had three decent chances that a more composed winger would have put away and really Sam should've scored two, both decent heading oppurtunities.

The Gerrard sending off. HE HAD TO GO. Whether the player was stooping or not, the speed that Gerrard came across with his foot 5ft in the air was ridiculous. Its a shame really because until then he was having his best game this season.

Whats with this criticism of Ince again?? He kept yet another clean sheet! OK he spilled one but the player was offside does it really matter? By the way did any of you notice Incey's leg was strapped up, he looked in agony whenever he kicked the ball. I couldnt believe some people around me were going mad when he threw the ball instead of kicking it! Some people need to open their eyes a bit more.

That was for you Matt.

I really expected Peterboro to be up there this season but after that they will do well to stay up, bring on bottom of the league Saturday! 8)

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 am

wfc_2uk wrote:I really expected Peterboro to be up there this season but after that they will do well to stay up, bring on bottom of the league Saturday! 8)

And I've got no doubt they will be there or thereabouts eventually, they've just had two stinking results... A bit like we did, but the outcome of theirs was far worse (although they also played two better teams in Darlington and Walsall, as opposed to Barnet and Grimsby)...

This Peterboro team had only conceded 3 goals in their opening 6 matches, now they've conceded 8 in 2.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 am

Exile wrote:A week or two back there were a few posts on here saying that with the right impetus we could give some team an absolute trouncing. We've still not conceded at Bescot, there's still talent in the team, and at risk of sounding like a happy clapper, I think Tuesday will be the game to deliver that thrashing.

4-0 to us.
well said Exile...did you have a go on the lottery mate... :D

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:25 am

wfc_2uk wrote:I couldnt believe some people around me were going mad when he threw the ball instead of kicking it! Some people need to open their eyes a bit more.

And in fact, apart from one or two wayward ones, his throwing was excellent, sometimes Schmeichelesque. One throw went straight onto Butler's head, about 15 yards inside the opposition half - brilliant!

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:39 am

Does it really matter if he kicks it or throws it. The ball was going as far when he threw it and for the most part ws very accurate. I think Ince is very good a keeping the game moving and setting up attacks as he often distributes the ball very quickly, meaning momentum is not lost

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:40 am

Jorge14 wrote:

its not racist for christ sake...why do people have to be labeled racist all the time...he was just cracking a joke...which is what football crowds do...very well in my opinion too... :D ...if the ref is bald you will get a joke or cutting remark shouted about that...or if he is thin or a bit chubby...but please dont bring that racist thing out all the time...just enjoy the banter jorge...unless it gets to real abusive obvious racist remarks...which thankfully you rarely hear now .
Last edited by sid swifty on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

WfcDanOc
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:40 am

wfc_2uk wrote:The poor ineffective performances are creeping back in.

Walsall 0-1 Peterboro

good old walsall, never stick to anyones preconceptions

are we looking good, or has every team who have travelled to bescot stunk? its all looking rosey again, let the rollercoaster commence!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:07 am

Stu wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

That's Jorge's point... Monty Panesar is Sikh, as was last nights Ref, the ball tampering was by Pakistan, whom are muslim...

I love it when folk say things like that, they may as well put a neon sign above their head saying 'look how ignorant I am'...

I know the ball tamperer was from Pakistan they were just making the link to cricket, thats all.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 am

wfc_2uk wrote:Whilst we won 5-0 and outplayed a poor Peterboro team am I the only one thinking we didnt play as well as we could last night.

No, I agree. The thing with games like that though is that we broke so quickly and were finding so much space in the opposition half, there was no need to raise our performance. I mean, how do you do much better than score 5 and keep a clean sheet whilst creating numerous other chances.
Sam was better than the last time I saw him, at Barnet, but is still too lazy for my liking. He ought to watch how hard Butler makes defenders work, both on and off the ball. Kris Taylor was ok going forward as the game went on, but I thought his distribution from the back at times last night (particularly in the first half) was sloppy.
Little things like that can be improved upon, but the fact is, we ARE a very good side at this level. That's why we can win and still have a moan. :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 am

I know we won emphatically, but I am going to be quite critical of the performance.

Peterborough were absolutely awful in defence, even Constable could have scored. At times though, the football we played was just terrible. Booting it up, giving the ball away needlessly, Keates and Dobson both guilty of that, Wrighty had a decent game but still wimps out of the softest of challenges, and for some reason Fox kept drifting in to the middle, giving us little width on the left.

There was a marked difference when Kinsella came on, he put his foot on the ball, looked up, and we started playing football. For me, he's got the start.

The ref had a bit of a mare, I have no idea why he sent Gerrard off for what was a foul admittedly, but it was a yellow at a stretch, never a red in a month of sundays.

We have to start performing away from home though - there wont be many teams that come to bescot and beat us, in this division we have the quality to beat anyone at home, it's our away performances that have already, and will let us down. We must keep the ball, get it down, not bypass the midfield, and use Kinsella as he's head and shoulders above Keates.

Sorry for being critical, it was a great night.

Quite interesting also that a certain Mr Paul Merson was in attendance.

Merson first game in charge: 5-0 defeat
Merson last game in charge: 5-0 defeat
Merson attends game: 5-0 victory

Merson is a barclays! la la la la :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:16 am

Stu wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:I really expected Peterboro to be up there this season but after that they will do well to stay up, bring on bottom of the league Saturday! 8)

And I've got no doubt they will be there or thereabouts eventually, they've just had two stinking results... A bit like we did, but the outcome of theirs was far worse (although they also played two better teams in Darlington and Walsall, as opposed to Barnet and Grimsby)...

This Peterboro team had only conceded 3 goals in their opening 6 matches, now they've conceded 8 in 2.

Can't see myself Stu , not on last nights showing, we carved them open time and time again could have scored 10, and i think we can and will play better .
Last edited by Duke on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:24 am

Pedro wrote:
Pedro wrote:Walsall 4
Posh 1

Sam
Butler
keates
Butler

Well i was close . Got Butler scoring twice and 5 goals in the game

Clutching and straws there, Pedro :lol:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:32 am

Gerrard is a bloody clown, he's crap

Terrible passer of the ball

Terrible judgment, totally reckless challenge, idiot

Walsall fans love him because of his surname :roll:

OK performance, nothing special I don't think, in fact we can play much better, was quite a strange game, Peterboro were truly awful

I thought the ref got it right to be honest, Gerrard is a clown, the bloke kissing the poor lino should have been a straight red the patronising nob and the other bloke was pretty dirty all night

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:34 am

sid swifty wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

its not racist for christ sake...why do people have to be labeled racist all the time...he was just cracking a joke...which is what football crowds do...very well in my opinion too... :D ...if the ref is bald you will get a joke or cutting remark shouted about that...or if he is thin or a bit chubby...but please dont bring that racist thing out all the time...just enjoy the banter jorge...unless it gets to real abusive obvious racist remarks...which thankfully you rarely hear now .

It was a crap joke if that's what he was trying to do then, but of course it ain't racist - they all look the same don't they?*

* - dripping in irony

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:35 am

sid swifty wrote:
Exile wrote:A week or two back there were a few posts on here saying that with the right impetus we could give some team an absolute trouncing. We've still not conceded at Bescot, there's still talent in the team, and at risk of sounding like a happy clapper, I think Tuesday will be the game to deliver that thrashing.

4-0 to us.
well said Exile...did you have a go on the lottery mate... :D

Nah Sid - the lottery is a tax on the mathematically inept. :wink:

Rhino Saddler

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:46 am

saddlerken wrote:the bloke kissing the poor lino should have been a straight red the patronising nob

Agreed.

The best punishment would have been a knee in the nuts from the lino.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:54 am

Maybe I've woke up with my optimistic head on but I thought for the first 20 minutes 'boro looked quite useful with Benjamin and Opara upfront. I thought Gerrard and Roper handled them manfully.

Fox's goal - I'd like to see how much of the goal the keeper gave him to aim at, he was very near post and I think Fox thought "thanks for that, even I can score now"

Gerrard's red - I now don't think it was a red because old man Whiting and Percie have said the same thing about it from completely different angles so I do hope there is an appeal as I thought he was good while he was on.

Westwood - Best game in a Walsall shirt considering he was at full back?

Wright - Great running and his crossing is improving a lot, as for bottling out of challenges I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he likes to stay on his feet for the ones he thinks he has no chance of getting in a 50-50.

Ince - He isn't looking bad for a clown.

Sam - Much improved on the last few weeks imo.

Looking forward to the Macc game even though i'm probably going to be in a near comatose hangover and I think ASBO is learning his lesson, 5 minutes he was on and he got clattered/physically relieved of the ball twice and he just sat on his little crime causing arse until the anger flowed from him like a drunk's Carling up a wall.

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRNNNNNN THE REDS!!!

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:02 am

saddlerken wrote:Gerrard is a bloody clown, he's crap

Terrible passer of the ball

Terrible judgment, totally reckless challenge, idiot

as i did read the reports of last games he seemed have done very well. It's still diificult for me as i only can read reports but the three times I did see him play i wouldn't say he's crap!! Really think he's got the talent.

Other fact. I think we've got a great result last night. If you can win a game 5-0 only a few days after the first defeat then that'll mean it's a strong team!!! I'll think we'll be at the top after the season, come on saddlers!!!!

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:36 am

Don't see the point in disagreements as to whether Gerrard deserved the red card or not, at the end of the day, he got himself sent off, maybe/maybe not deservedly.

Can't see any appeal working, unless the ref decides to lift all three red cards, and be honest, can you see that happening?

Thought the ref had a really good game up until that point, but just went downhill from there, totally lost the plot.

All in all, we won five nil, and i think with Gerrards absence, we will now see just how good a manager DD is!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:56 am

saddlersdaz wrote:All in all, we won five nil, and i think with Gerrards absence, we will now see just how good a manager DD is!

I don't think it takes any special management to bring Pead in at right back and move Westwood across to centre half. The other option would be to bring Picken back, but I would be very surprised if he's fit to even be on the bench before the Bolton game.

Some are saying Gerrard needs dropping anyway. I thought he played well last night, but I didn't see him at Grimsby.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:11 am

I bet Wright is happy now that the finger of doom has turned to Gerrard!!!

Cannot comment on the sending off as I was not well so could not attend. Leamore - did you put your feet on my seat?

I can add this match to the 8 - 4 against Torquay (working in Swansea) and the 4 - 0 (I think) against Shrewsbury (changing the valves on my car) - goalfests I missed :cry:
Last edited by cyclothymic on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:13 am

Just keep away then, at least lemur can rest his old legs while you're making tea or going to the shops.

:D

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:16 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
saddlersdaz wrote:All in all, we won five nil, and i think with Gerrards absence, we will now see just how good a manager DD is!

I don't think it takes any special management to bring Pead in at right back and move Westwood across to centre half. The other option would be to bring Picken back, but I would be very surprised if he's fit to even be on the bench before the Bolton game.

Some are saying Gerrard needs dropping anyway. I thought he played well last night, but I didn't see him at Grimsby.

I thought gerrard played OKAY last night, which I personally think was a much better performance than he put in at GRIMsby, but thats just my own opinion.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:17 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Just keep away then, at least lemur can rest his old legs while you're making tea or going to the shops.

:D

Do you know me? :shock:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season