Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough (H) League-Tuesday 12/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:24 am

The referee first - Mr.Singh is a good referee and I thought he did well until the Gerrard dismissal. That should have been a yellow card. It was stupid and reckless but not malicious. Thereafter, because the ref. had set the standard, there was always going to be the risk of further red cards. I have NO sympathy whatsoever with the two Posh players who were sent off and I hope Keith Alexander fines them both, heavily. So for Mr. Singh - first 65 minutes, very good, last 25 minutes, over the top.

Peterborough were dreadful defensively and, for once, we punished them. They suffered as we have so often, in the past. They had wide players, such as Jamie Day, who are good going forward but who are useless defensively, leaving the full-backs isolated and exposed - sound familiar? As an attacking force, I felt that Posh could have scored a couple of goals themselves. I was very impressed with Lloyd Opara. We could do with him ourselves, to partner Butler.

I suppose it would be churlish to criticise any player after a performance like that but we should not be carried away with one impressive result. There is still a lot of room for improvement. Hector Sam continues to disappoint although, to be fair, he did, at least, have two attempts on goal (sadly, both poor). How much longer DD can continue to select him - who knows? Mark Wright actually put over a few good crosses! (See, Jorge14 and Cyclo - I have praised him! :D ) His first half cross to Sam (poor header) and the second half one to lay on Butler's goal (good header) were particularly worthy of mention. However, not once did he beat his man with the ball at his feet, unlike, say, Ishy or Pedro Matias in his heyday. Also, his chickening out of physical challenges is now getting beyond a joke. He is scared of his own shadow.

Those two apart, it is hard to fault the others. It was refreshing to see ASBO Ishy not react to two awful challenges. Is DD finally getting through to him? The defence looked sound and Ince was clearly carrying an injury. Even the midfield looked o.k., particularly when Kinsella came on and Butler was - well, Butler!

The biggest improvement was in our attacking third of the field. At last, our midfield got up to support the front two (or one and a half, in view of Sam's contribution) and our passes found their target. Admittedly, we were aided by Posh's tactical naivety (see above) but, as the saying goes, we can only beat what is put in front of us.

Roll on, Macclesfield. Bottom of the league visiting a team near the top and full of confidence after an impressive win. All this in front of a large home crowd. It's got to be a convincing home win, hasn't it....................................well, hasn't it? :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:37 pm

It was never a sending off, never. Yellow card ? maybe just, but red ? no way.

I just hope we aren't 80 minutes into the game on Saturday just wishing we could borrow one goal from last night.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Butler got a hatrick

No he didn't. :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Did you enjoy the questionable pleasure of me sitting next to you MMF ? :lol:

It was a good performance so you didn't see me in my infamous "angry" state. I was also releived that Mr Wright had a fairly good game, I wasn't looking forward to crossing swords with the top Wright apologist :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Did you enjoy the questionable pleasure of me sitting next to you MMF ? :lol:

It was a good performance so you didn't see me in my infamous "angry" state. I was also releived that Mr Wright had a fairly good game, I wasn't looking forward to crossing swords with the top Wright apologist :wink:

He was great last night you madman!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Did you enjoy the questionable pleasure of me sitting next to you MMF ? :lol:

He was great last night you madman!

His crossing was generally excellent I agree. It's the bottling of the 60 - 40 (and sometimes 70 - 30) balls that really get me mad. Get that part of his game sorted and he'll be okay.

Called a madman by Gary, things can't get any weirder :shock: :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm not mad, i'm really not mad.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:I'm not mad, I'm really not mad.

Yeah, right, whatever!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Honestly Mr Lemur, i'd bet the house on it.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Ben_Hartshorne wrote:I'm with Metfan

There is no loophole for dropkicking a fellow footballer in the back of the head, which is what it looked like from my angle. Accident or not, people who do that should not be allowed to stay on the pitch.

(A) Nobody "drop-kicked" anyone in the back of the head, to suggest that is ridiculous. Benjamin was brave enough to put his head in where it's likely to hurt. So, unsurprisingly, it hurt. So what, that doesn't turn Gerrard into a thug!
(B) If it looked like that from your angle, find a different seat, because you're not seeing what's happening on the pitch. Are you in the upper F2G by any chance?
(C) Accident or not ? Sorry but it WAS an accidental contact, and you don't deserve a red card for an accident. If he was a bit reckless, a yellow, OK, but never a red in a month of Sundays.

I'd refer you to Leamore's comments - he's a ref, and a good one in his day, and now a referee instructor.

The worst challenges last night came on Ishmel in the last few minutes, and the Ref did nothing about them. Totally inconsistent with his treatment of Gerrard, and that's exactly what gets fans mad, inconsistency!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Yes of course. That seat is generally free if you would like to sit there again.

Forget the 60/40's and 70/30's. As I've just said to Wfc Rob on another thread, Wright is a winger, on the pitch to create goals which he is doing very well at the moment. His reluctance to tackle doesn't cost us goals but I know many people would like it to to justify their criticism of him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:35 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:The worst challenges last night came on Ishmel in the last few minutes, and the Ref did nothing about them. Totally inconsistent with his treatment of Gerrard, and that's exactly what gets fans mad, inconsistency!

True. By that stage the plot was sat in the car listening to the WM phone-in.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:10 pm

King Crimson wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:The worst challenges last night came on Ishmel in the last few minutes, and the Ref did nothing about them. Totally inconsistent with his treatment of Gerrard, and that's exactly what gets fans mad, inconsistency!

:lol:

Did the plot say if the dingle fans were moaning?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Did the plot say if the Dingle fans were moaning?

No, from what I heard on the way home, it was the Tesco Bagladies doing all the moaning - "That Robson - he's gorra goo!" :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:No, from what I heard on the way home, it was the Tesco Bagladies doing all the moaning - "That Robson - he's gorra goo!" :lol:

True. On the way there however, it was:

"Is it Christmas cards, Tone?"

:evil:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:No, from what I heard on the way home, it was the Tesco Bagladies doing all the moaning - "That Robson - he's gorra goo!" :lol:

True. On the way there however, it was:

"Is it Christmas cards, Tone?"

:evil:
And er...was it...? :shock:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Butler got a hatrick

No he didn't. :lol:

I was waiting for someone to notice the 'deliberate' mistake... :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Who exactly is this "plot" KC?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Probably the one the referee somehow managed to lose in the second half last night. :wink:

dannyv

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:20 pm

Anyone else think Gerrard played his best game of the season so far yesterday before the sending off??

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:48 pm

dannyv wrote:Anyone else think Gerrard played his best game of the season so far yesterday before the sending off??

He played very well as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if it was his best of the season, as I haven't seen all of the away games.

I did notice he took a lot of flak over Grimsby's first goal on Saturday, even though it was Roper who should have got to it first but just lazily stuck out his heel behind him and missed the ball completely.

Unfortunately Gerrard seems to have taken over the mantle for the "boo boys" at the moment, though God knows why, it's certainly not justified, and neither was last night's red card.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:50 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Probably the one the referee somehow managed to lose in the second half last night. :wink:

He certainly did lose it Rob, but why was it sitting "in the car listening to the WM phone-in", that's what's puzzling me?

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:58 pm

I presume that because the Ref had lost the said "Plot", that the "plot" had made its own way back to the car, so that the Ref could easily find him again.

:roll: :?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
dannyv wrote:Anyone else think Gerrard played his best game of the season so far yesterday before the sending off??

He played very well as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if it was his best of the season, as I haven't seen all of the away games.

I did notice he took a lot of flak over Grimsby's first goal on Saturday, even though it was Roper who should have got to it first but just lazily stuck out his heel behind him and missed the ball completely.

Unfortunately Gerrard seems to have taken over the mantle for the "boo boys" at the moment, though God knows why, it's certainly not justified, and neither was last night's red card.

I'm far from being a Gerrard "boo boy" but must admit that he seems immune to criticism from many fans. I can only conclude that he's got the same protection that was afforded to Merson (i.e. his well known name protects him from the celebrity dazed supporters).

I've got to admit he's far from the complete player I saw at the start of his Walsall career. Although I thought he played well last night and against Darlo..

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:07 pm

yes i did , i said so on my match thread post .

addo
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:11 pm

By the way, there are some nice action photos from last night in the match report section at http://www.theposh.com.

There is a beauty of Butler's first goal !

http://www.theposh.premiumtv.co.uk/page ... 70,00.html

Ben_Hartshorne

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:28 pm

I said it looked like he dropkicked Benjamin in the back of the head, not once did i say Gerrard was a thug or that he tried to injure the player on purpose. I believe it was an unacceptable challenge and that he should have been dismissed for it. maybe this is about perception...

If I am right and Gerrards foot was rediculously high, kicking benjamin in the back of the head, would you let it pass with a caution? would you expect that same caution if Benjamin had challenged Gerrard in the same way. It may be that the challenge is no where near as bad as i first thought, but if this I have not expressed anything as fact, as you may like to believe. But i have explained that from my angle, i had no thought of a booking or anything less.

I sit in the Banks stand on the half way line, with a good side-on view of the incident, but i cant see that being too important.

Ben_Hartshorne

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:29 pm

To add to that, i have just seen the incident on Central News and i still think it is a sending off

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:21 pm

Stan P wrote:Metfan you are talking out of your A**E booking yes sending noway the ref was useless turban got in his eyes pathetic he was

Back you up stan, have you calmed down from last night. You was in the tanting seat though :lol: :lol:

Which seat you having this Saturday :wink: :wink:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Peterboughs defence was shocking! How had they not conc a goal away from home!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season