Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby Town (A) League - Saturday 9/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:05 pm

Must say, despite my comments on the game, the awful news that I have heard tonight about Matt Gadsby's death during his match this afternoon puts everything into perspective tonight.

It was bad today, but it was a football match. It ain't the end of the world. For young Matty, it was, and at his age that is so tragic.

Matty, thanks for your part in our success and promotion. Our thoughts tonight should be for him and with his wife, young daughter and all his family. RIP

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Agreed Geoff. Couldn't go today but I was absolutely gutted with the result. I don't want to turn this into a repetition of the Matt Gadsby thread on the other part of the board, but when you hear that news it does give things a different perspective. It's only a football match and there are some things which matter far more.

As for football matters, lets hope today's individual errors can be ironed out on Tuesday. After back to back games at two of the division's less appealing venues, we have successive home games this week. Some good results could set us up for a bit of fun against Bolton in the cup.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:35 am

Very disappionted and worried. All you fans who travelled say Grimsby were poor and yet they beat us . We asked for a more positive attack minded line up and it back fired big time. Our defence has been solid to date yet so poor today . Midfield was bypassed with long balls .
Are we showing teams to much respect ?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:26 am

Just seen the goals on ITV and looks like real defensive mix up for both goals. Roper and Gerrard were all over each other and couldn't get the ball clear and it was scrambled in. Then the second goal, sheesh, even if the ball should have been cleared earlier or Ince should have come for it, what the hell was Kris Taylor playing at. Comical defending, I just hope that Picken gets fit soon. On the evidence some of the back four need a rest or a kick up the arse.

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:07 am

cyclothymic wrote:I expect big things form Mark Wright today - come on Mark, give us a goal

:shock:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:37 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:Just seen the goals on ITV and looks like real defensive mix up for both goals. Roper and Gerrard were all over each other and couldn't get the ball clear and it was scrambled in. Then the second goal, sheesh, even if the ball should have been cleared earlier or Ince should have come for it, what the hell was Kris Taylor playing at. Comical defending, I just hope that Picken gets fit soon. On the evidence some of the back four need a rest or a kick up the arse.

Can't wait until pickens back and fit, Could of done with him yesterday.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 am

Just to put the Clayton Ince business into perspective, if it hadn't have been for Ince we would have conceeded five or six yesterday, and I'm not talking about routine saves, I'm talking about top drawer one on ones after he had been left exposed time and time again, he kept us in the game until Taylor dropped one bo!!ock too many.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Just to put the Clayton Ince business into perspective, if it hadn't have been for Ince we would have conceeded five or six yesterday, and I'm not talking about routine saves, I'm talking about top drawer one on ones after he had been left exposed time and time again, he kept us in the game until Taylor dropped one bo!!ock too many.

Absolutely Geordie, we could have been buried by a poor side, and that's worrying, but thanks to Ince we were always in with a chance of a win - until KT's contribution that is!

Saw the goals on TV this morning, the ball was wide of the goal and no way should Ince be expected to come that wide to gather it. It was a long hopeful punt, and in fact it might have been better if KT had left it altogether and it may have just ended up going out for a goal kick (need to see it again to be certain though).

No defender should ever head the ball into or across the goalmouth like that, unless it's a routine back pass to the keeper when there's no pressure on from attackers.

KT cost us big-time yesterday, no doubt about it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 pm

futuresobright wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Disappointing to lose.

Even more disappointing to find 'Futuresobright' lurking around this forum. We lose, he appears.

Strange that. :?

eh? Wrong on two counts.
1. I posted after our lucky win against Darlington. The OTT praise of DD needed deflating (as the performances at Barnet and Grimsby quickly proved).
2. Unlike the anti PM gang on UTS I could never enjoy a Walsall defeat.

How exactly? We don't hear from you since August 26th when you refer to Butler as 'hopeless' and you are hugely critical of a winning performance against a team many fancy to do well. Then within the hour of our first defeat of the season, there you are, scanning the board, waiting for the opportunity to rain on our parade.

Nice wind-up, but my polite advice would be that constant re-invention is the key. You're just plain boring.

If you're genuine, may I suggest this:
http://www.wolves.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ ... 07,00.html

Timothy_Claypole

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:04 pm

I thought we were cack yesterday, but I enjoyed the time I spent next to Mr fat white belly Eggmiester.

Love you Mark!!! x x x x

x x x TC x x x

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Just to put the Clayton Ince business into perspective, if it hadn't have been for Ince we would have conceeded five or six yesterday, and I'm not talking about routine saves, I'm talking about top drawer one on ones after he had been left exposed time and time again, he kept us in the game until Taylor dropped one bo!!ock too many.

Totally agree with you there. Ince was superb through out. Especially that one on one where there forward (rankin?) tried going round him and he took it from he's feet! superb. Really got me mad when the players was blaming ince for the second goal, When it wasn't he's fault at all!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:59 pm

Timothy_Claypole wrote:I thought we were cack yesterday, but I enjoyed the time I spent next to Mr fat white belly Eggmiester.

Love you Mark!!! x x x x

x x x TC x x x

I wonder who tc could be :roll:

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:51 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Very very disappointed and annoyed tonight, as you can probably tell. Good to see lots of familiar faces today, and especially to put a face to SaddlersDaz and Gary Ellison Saddler - that and the ACE Fish and Chips made it a worthwhile trip. Apart from that, based on the quality we served up on the pitch, I was not inspired to travel again for a while. :twisted:

Nice meeting you too Geoff, and Geordie, and anyone else I met yesterday. Shame the result ruined the day, to be furthered more by the news of Matt Gadsby. Lets hope things get better over the next few weeks.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:56 pm

saddlersdaz wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Very very disappointed and annoyed tonight, as you can probably tell. Good to see lots of familiar faces today, and especially to put a face to SaddlersDaz and Gary Ellison Saddler - that and the ACE Fish and Chips made it a worthwhile trip. Apart from that, based on the quality we served up on the pitch, I was not inspired to travel again for a while. :twisted:

Nice meeting you too Geoff, and Geordie, and anyone else I met yesterday. Shame the result ruined the day, to be furthered more by the news of Matt Gadsby. Lets hope things get better over the next few weeks.

Was you in the leaking boot daz? i think i may of saw you, Not sure what you look like, becasue i aint saw you. But i just had a slight idea it was you. near evo in the pub ?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:22 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
saddlersdaz wrote:

Was you in the leaking boot daz? i think i may of saw you, Not sure what you look like, becasue i aint saw you. But i just had a slight idea it was you. near evo in the pub ?

saddlersdaz WAS in the Leaking Boot, near Evo (and the bar) at times, wearing a dark blue Saddlers shirt. I was with them as well, wearing a GREY suede (not genuine suede of course) type jacket, along with my son Chris, ucow, Geordie etc.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:28 pm

T.C must have been there yesterdat then

I thought i knew who it was , but they not got a camera on there phone
Last edited by Pedro on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Looks like my new username is etc.. Thanks Geoff.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Cannock wrote:Looks like my new username is "etc". Thanks, Geoff.

Just add it to the long list of others, then! :D

P.S. Who's Alan?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Cannock wrote:Looks like my new username is etc.. Thanks Geoff.

I typed it out properly as "etc", but I think it's a banned word so the system came up with "etc" instead ! :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate, grovel, grovel, grovel ! :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:48 pm

You don't have to grovel to Britannia Bob, you know, Geoff. :D :D

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Good lad was Britannia Bob.

Certainly had Uncle Geoff spluttering on his cornflakes :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Cannock wrote:Good lad was Britannia Bob.

All class, he was.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:17 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
saddlersdaz wrote:

saddlersdaz WAS in the Leaking Boot, near Evo (and the bar) at times, wearing a dark blue Saddlers shirt. I was with them as well, wearing a GREY suede (not genuine suede of course) type jacket, along with my son Chris, ucow, Geordie etc.

Yeah think i may of saw saddlersdaz then if he had a dark blue saddlers shirt on with glasses? Don't think i saw you geoff :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Cannock wrote:Good lad was Britannia Bob.

You might have thought Britannia Bob was a good wind-up pal, but it was nowhere near as good as the one Sound_out did on me for about a year or more, as revealed to me recently ! :lol: :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:47 am

Pedro wrote:T.C must have been there yesterdat then

N0 I Don't Pedro .... :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 am

cheesebag wrote:
Pedro wrote:T.C must have been there yesterdat then

N0 I Don't Pedro .... :lol:
:roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:20 am

If i knew where the picture was taken I might know who it was as I was with white belly MMF at Grimsby.

a bit of sleuthing for me I think

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:49 am

Our first defeat of the season, and only 117 posts on the match thread? Doesn't anyone come on here to have a moan any more? :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:09 am

Some people are still doubting who was at fault for their second goal even though Mick Kearns (a member of the goalkeeping union blamed Ince)

I'll repeat what I put on another thread

Some people don't understand defending and goalkeeping.

Taylor should have done better with the clearance but the reason he (and Gerrard) went mad at Ince is because it should have been Ince who has the best view looking forward and should have either:

a) tell Taylor to let it go out

or

b) should have actually claimed it himself because there wasn't a Grimsby forward in sight.

Ince was excellent again though so it's difficult to criticise. I'm just saying why Taylor had a go. Ince didn't have a go back and looked gutted so presumable accpeted guilt.

Another bad away performance and got what we deserved.

However two wins against Peterborough and Macclesfield which are highly likley and we're right back on course.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Some people are still doubting who was at fault for their second goal even though Mick Kearns (a member of the goalkeeping union blamed Ince)

I'll repeat what I put on another thread

Some people don't understand defending and goalkeeping.

Taylor should have done better with the clearance but the reason he (and Gerrard) went mad at Ince is because it should have been Ince who has the best view looking forward and should have either:

a) tell Taylor to let it go out

or

b) should have actually claimed it himself because there wasn't a Grimsby forward in sight.

Ince was excellent again though so it's difficult to criticise. I'm just saying why Taylor had a go. Ince didn't have a go back and looked gutted so presumable accpeted guilt.

Another bad away performance and got what we deserved.

However two wins against Peterborough and Macclesfield which are highly likley and we're right back on course.

I understand tackling and defending. I take it after our little chat yesterday, you have seen the 2nd goal? And confirm i was right :P

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season