Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby Town (A) League - Saturday 9/9/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:49 pm

I agree Stu, although I like Sam on the field he lacks the skill and motivation to score for some bizarre reason so I'd definately rather have Constable.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Disappointing to lose.

Even more disappointing to find 'Futuresobright' lurking around this forum. We lose, he appears.

Strange that. :?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:11 pm

I didn't go today (obviously), but from what I've seen at Barnet and at Lincoln, I think we need to drop the players who are lazy and don't work for the team. In my opinion, the likes of Sam, Wright and Fangueiro are passengers for large parts of our matches away from home. I'd rather see Ishmel in the side on either flank, because I think he does at least track back and make it difficult for the opposition. No matter who we play, we will always be put under heavy spells of pressure away from home. The problem is, we don't have enough players who will work their socks off when the chips are down.

I've criticised the selection of Keates in the past, but he is a much better away player to those mentioned above. Hector Sam now has 8 games under his belt and is yet to score (or even look like scoring). To make matters worse, defending against him is like taking sweets off a small child. Bedeau or Constable (or both) should start the next game.

Also, our tactics and mentality needs to be altered. Taking Fangueiro and Pead off at half time to be replaced by Westwood and Taylor speaks volumes. We went there today to get a point and surprise, surprise, look what we got.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:20 pm

Stu wrote:Without wishing to be too negative, about 2 weeks ago and last week, I did say that there must be concerns about our lack of goalscoring prowess.

There was no way that our mean defensive performances were going to last all season, and we had to find a way of offering more of a scoring threat. Today was proof of that, we've scored just 10 goals in 7 matches, thats not enough for a team wanting to get promotion.

DD is clearly aware and hopefully will get something sorted, but at least todays result might go some way towards lowering the expectations of some folk who seem to think this year would be a walk in the park.

Pre-season I said I'd be happy with 8th or 9th, however I do think we're capable of at least a play off place if we find a 2nd goalscorer. If we can't find a 2nd scorer, I'd rather see Constable ahead of Sam when he is fit.

Yes and yes.

After our very first game I said we needed more goals, not just through having another goalscorer, but we're never going to create enough with the way we play. Money obviously prefers having a narrow midfield, but we don't have the creative midfielder to allow that system to work really. I know we tried playing with two wingers for 45 minutes today, and I was disappointed to see that changed to just one at half time. As someone else said, that was a signal that we were happy with a point, and you just can't play that way in this division because your defence will ALWAYS make mistakes (they wouldn't be playing in League Two otherwise), and today it sounds like it came from Ince.

I hope we can start playing with two wingers, all the time. Wingers all have dips in form, but they might give us the creativity we lack in the centre of the park. Perm two from Wright, Fangueiro, Bedeau and Demontagnac - there's competition for places there, I hope it's used, instead of the defensive wide midfielders we've seen much of the time in at least one of the wide positions.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:07 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I expect big things form Mark Wright today - come on Mark, give us a goal
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ...your havin a laugh cyclo.

Stourbridge_Andy

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:23 pm

I think we're stlll a couple of players short of a team that can make a sustained challenge for promotion - we especially need another striker alongside Butler (Sam isn't cutting it and Constable isn't yet the finished article)

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Just got back in, people asked for the more attack minded away line up, and it failed - miserably.

An awful performance, with only Butler (for scoring) and Ince being singled out for praise.

Defence was appaling, Anthony Gerrard can pi$$ off , cos he is rubbish , and has been for the last year or so. Why people rate him, is beyond me. Fox was cack, so was KT. Midfield never really took charge, with the wingers impotent. Wright is a a bottler, and doesnt deserve to play if he cant figure out how to tackle, or win a header. Sam kinked well, but never ever looked like scoring. Problems.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:05 pm

sid swifty wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:I expect big things form Mark Wright today - come on Mark, give us a goal

Enough to create the goal today though Sid.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Stu wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Enough to create the goal today though Sid.
Yes stu...cant deny that mate...but he's one of those players that even if he played for England i still wouldn't like him.... :)

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:15 pm

A 256 miles round trip, and not impressed or amused. The Leaking Boot was OK for drinks, and the chippie was absolutely superb, so there are some consolations, but the performance, second rate much of the time, and just nowhere near bloody good enough.

I think we have too many players who, on the back of some favourable early results, have now begun to think they just have to turn up to win.

Others seem to think we should just by-pass the midfield and bang hopeful balls up the pitch - and it ain't working.

Awful at times today, giving the ball to the opposition with alarming regularity. Grimsby, make no mistake, are very poor and should have got nowhere near to beating us, but the game was presented to them by our own failings.

Even given the boost of the 1st goal, scored with our first attack and totally against the run of play, we failed to raise the game to see off Grimsby. Fang got clear over on the left of midfield, the ball was switched across to Wright coming into the right side of the penalty area, he beat his man (hardly a challenge really), rolled a fairly weak ball across the six yard box, and the Grimsby keeper and defence inexplicably went totally AWOL to leave Butler an open goal, tapping in with his right foot from about 2-3 yards.

That should have been the start of a period of pressure to build on the lead, but it never happened. We huffed and puffed and played the ball around OK some of the time, but mostly we were careless to the point of being generous with possession and allowing Grimsby to dominate.

At half time we could have been 3-1 down, but Grimsby looked toothless, although they picked up the equaliser through utterly nightmare defending. Was this the defence that had been so mean up to now? You certainly wouldn't think so.

sj came over and assured me at half-time that it had been much worse at Barnet ( good God, REALLY?! ), and DD would sort it second-half. Cannock confirmed the same about last week, so I took them both at face value, and I must say the second half DID bring quite an improvement, and Grimsby were not in it at all for quite some time.

But Butler headed over from a great cross, and Fox did the same, both chances that I thought should have been buried but instead they both cleared the bar by 2 feet. Then Fox went clear, cutting in from the left, and with only the keeper to beat fired in a firm shot, but it was a defender's shot, and from where we were sitting at the other end, it looked like it cleared the far post by some distance.

Three great chances to grab the points, all wasted, and the writing was on the wall.

Eventually Grimsby got into our box for the first time in the second half, creating two chances in quick succession. First Ince did really well to get down and smother Rankin's close range shot as he cut into the box from our right side, and as the ball bobbed about, another shot came in from just inside the penalty area, with Ince perfectly placed to make the save look easier than it might have been.

Then arrived the suicide moment. Kris Taylor, in the left corner of our 6-yard box, had a high ball to deal with. There seemed no danger at all, and he had plenty of time to let the ball drop and then clear it, but he chose instead to head it back across his own goal, totally wrong-footing Clayton Ince and leaving him stranded, allowing a Grimsby forward the simple job of nodding the ball apologetically and ever so slowly into the far corner of our net.

Absolute disaster, absolute nightmare, absolutely PATHETIC play from Kris Taylor, who then added to his gross stupidity by b*ll*cking Clayton Ince, as if it was the bl**dy keeper's fault - PRAT !

We had a few moments late on with the ball ricocheting around their 6 yard box and we might have saved a point and our unbeaten record, but we had committed total suicide and for that we deserved what we got - NOWT!

I call this surrender, we played a poor side, and somehow contrived not just to drop a point, but to LOSE to them. Ridiculous, and terribly disappointing.

After three away games, three poor performances overall, and just two points from those games, the honeymoon period is, in my opinion, well and truly over. Playing like this away from home we will NOT be promoted, and may struggle to make the play-offs, though we shall probably scrape in there.

Stu is right about another forward, my first away game this season has convinced me of that. Based on the home games I thought we'd be OK, but no, we won't on this evidence.

Very very disappointed and annoyed tonight, as you can probably tell. Good to see lots of familiar faces today, and especially to put a face to SaddlersDaz and Gary Ellison Saddler - that and the ACE Fish and Chips made it a worthwhile trip. Apart from that, based on the quality we served up on the pitch, I was not inspired to travel again for a while. :twisted:
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Deep breaths Geoff...deep breaths mate... :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:24 pm

sid swifty wrote:Deep breaths Geoff...deep breaths mate... :D

No need mate, I'm fine, just totally peed off with three points thrown away to sub-standard opponents!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:28 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:A 256 miles round trip, and not impressed or amused. The Leaking Boot was OK for drinks, and the chippie was absolutely superb, so there are some consolations, but the performance, second rate much of the time, and just nowhere near bloody good enough.

I think we have too many players who, on the back of some favourable early results, have now begun to think they just have to turn up to win.

Others seem to think we should just by-pass the midfield and bang hopeful balls up the pitch - and it ain't working.

Awful at times today, giving the ball to the opposition with alarming regularity. Grimsby, make no mistake, are very poor and should have got nowhere near to beating us, but the game was presented to them by our own failings.

Even given the boost of the 1st goal, scored with our first attack and totally against the run of play, we failed to raise the game to see off Grimsby. Fang got clear over on the left of midfield, the ball was switched across to Wright coming into the right side of the penalty area, he beat his man (hardly a challenge really), rolled a fairly weak ball across the six yard box, and the Grimsby keeper and defence inexplicably went totally AWOL to leave Butler an open goal, tapping in with his right foot from about 2-3 yards.

That should have been the start of a period of pressure to build on the lead, but it never happened. We huffed and puffed and played the ball around OK some of the time, but mostly we were careless to the point of being generous with possession and allowing Grimsby to dominate.

At half time we could have been 3-1 down, but Grimsby looked toothless, although they picked up the equaliser through utterly nightmare defending. Was this the defence that had been so mean up to now? You certainly wouldn't think so.

sj came over and assured me at half-time that it had been much worse at Barnet ( good God, REALLY?! ), and DD would sort it second-half. Cannock confirmed the same about last week, so I took them both at face value, and I must say the second half DID bring quite an improvement, and Grimsby were not in it at all for quite some time.

But Butler headed over from a great cross, and Fox did the same, both chances that I thought should have been buried but instead they both cleared the bar by 2 feet. Then Fox went clear, cutting in from the left, and with only the keeper to beat fired in a firm shot, but it was a defender's shot, and from where we were sitting at the other end, it looked like it cleared the far post by some distance.

Three great chances to grab the points, all wasted, and the writing was on the wall.

Eventually Grimsby got into our box for the first time in the second half, creating two chances in quick succession. First Ince did really well to get down and smother Rankin's close range shot as he cut into the box from our right side, and as the ball bobbed about, another shot came in from just inside the penalty area, with Ince perfectly placed to make the save look easier than it might have been.

Then arrived the suicide moment. Kris Taylor, in the left corner of our 6-yard box, had a high ball to deal with. There seemed no danger at all, and he had plenty of time to let the ball drop and then clear it, but he chose instead to head it back across his own goal, totally wrong-footing Clayton Ince and leaving him stranded, allowing a Grimsby forward the simple job of nodding the ball apologetically and ever so slowly into the far corner of our net.

Absolute disaster, absolute nightmare, absolutely PATHETIC play from Kris Taylor, who then added to his gross stupidity by b*ll*cking Clayton Ince, as if it was the bl**dy keeper's fault - PRAT !

We had a few moments late on with the ball ricocheting around their 6 yard box and we might have saved a point and our unbeaten record, but we had committed total suicide and for that we deserved what we got - NOWT!

I call this surrender, we played a poor side, and somehow contrived not just to drop a point, but to LOSE to them. Ridiculous, and terribly disappointing.

After three away games, three poor performances overall, and just two points from those games, the honeymoon period is, in my opinion, well and truly over. Playing like this away from home we will NOT be promoted, and may struggle to make the play-offs, though we shall probably scrape in there.

Stu is right about another forward, my first away game this season has convinced me of that. Based on the home games I thought we'd be OK, but no, we won't on this evidence.

Very very disappointed and annoyed tonight, as you can probably tell. Good to see lots of familiar faces today, and especially to put a face to SaddlersDaz and Gary Ellison Saddler - that and the ACE Fish and Chips made it a worthwhile trip. Apart from that, based on the quality we served up on the pitch, I was not inspired to travel again for a while. :twisted:

Couldn't have put it better myself, Geoff, The only positives being the Sunshine and Clayton Ince's decent display. I am worried about the bypassing of midfield and the hoofing it up the line we seem to be adopting, Grimsbys physical presence dealt with it easily.

Hope we get 6 points from the home matches coming up because we certainly need them if we are to sustain a challenge this year.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Spot on with that report Geoff, can't disagree with any of it but would add that today Gerrard and Dobson looked anything like footballers as they were constantly beaten both in the air and on the ground by the lumbering Jones?
Best player on the field was Rankin who created numerous chances and was unlucky not to score at least one.

Oh, 256 miles drat, beat me by 1.2 miles!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:34 pm

Utter crap

Was Pead injured ?

Gerrard must be dropped know , another poor display . we need someone who can pass the ball out of defence instead of booting it out of play

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:40 pm

its a good job Swindon lost.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:41 pm

sid swifty wrote:its a good job Swindon lost.

True. As I've said on another thread, maybe this is the kick up the backside we needed - after all, we haven't played that well since the Stockport game.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Cully wrote:Spot on with that report Geoff, can't disagree with any of it but would add that today Gerrard and Dobson looked anything like footballers as they were constantly beaten both in the air and on the ground by the lumbering Jones?
Best player on the field was Rankin who created numerous chances and was unlucky not to score at least one.

"Oh, 256 miles drat, beat me by 1.2 miles!"
he got lost on the way back... :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:54 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Cully wrote:Spot on with that report Geoff, can't disagree with any of it but would add that today Gerrard and Dobson looked anything like footballers as they were constantly beaten both in the air and on the ground by the lumbering Jones?

"Oh, 256 miles drat, beat me by 1.2 miles!"
he got lost on the way back... :D

Nah mate, SmartNav brought me back, told me 128 miles each way, and got it spot on. It predicted I'd be back at 7.25pm, but I arrived at 6.55pm, so it doesn't know everything (like for example that I don't stick at 70 ! :lol:

Cully, I agree about Dobson and Gerrard, but I only singled out KT because of his direct involvement in their winner. We can maybe understand Dobson's form as he is not yet back to full match fitness after several games out. No excuses for Gerrard though, he should be fit as a fiddle and well-settled into the defence.

Rankin was tricky, but then he always is, probably still capable of playing a league higher.

Wish I'd known you were there Cully, would have liked to have introduced myself. sj came over to me at half-time and asked if I knew you as he too wants to make your acquaintance, but of course I could not help him. sj is usually beyond help though, of course! :D
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

futuresobright

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:54 pm

King Crimson wrote:Disappointing to lose.

Even more disappointing to find 'Futuresobright' lurking around this forum. We lose, he appears.

Strange that. :?

eh? Wrong on two counts.
1. I posted after our lucky win against Darlington. The OTT praise of DD needed deflating (as the performances at Barnet and Grimsby quickly proved).
2. Unlike the anti PM gang on UTS I could never enjoy a Walsall defeat.

Considering the standard of the opposition this season our start can only rate as average. It is a little worrying that many of the failings that made most of last season only average (i.e. up till we got rid of PM and appointed Kevan... gee thanks UTS) are being repeated and not solved by DD. Does he know his best 11? Does he know the best positions for his players? Is he bringing players to the club who actually improve the squad?

Can't wait until Tuesday.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:59 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:A 256 miles round trip, and not impressed or amused. The Leaking Boot was OK for drinks, and the chippie was absolutely superb, so there are some consolations, but the performance, second rate much of the time, and just nowhere near bloody good enough.

From what I saw (when not playing up the mini cheddars) I have to agree with everything you said, the defending was shockin'.

Geoff don't listen to what the rest of 'em say I don't actually think you look that old, from what everyone said I was expecting a REALLY old chap. xx

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:04 pm

I think the mini-cheddars quite enjoyed chanting YGA at you Gaz, I was particularly impressed by Ella's comeback when you called her a Banana head and she called you a skat!!!! (I spelt it like that cos I know it is now a banned word) :lol:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:05 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Absolute disaster, absolute nightmare, absolutely PATHETIC play from Kris Taylor, who then added to his gross stupidity by b*ll*cking Clayton Ince, as if it was the bl**dy keeper's fault - PRAT !

To be honest Geoff, our own goalkeeping coach, Mick Kearns, pointed the finger of blame at Clayton Ince for the 2nd goal... Saying he hesitated and dithered and that the cross really was a keepers ball.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:09 pm

Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Absolute disaster, absolute nightmare, absolutely PATHETIC play from Kris Taylor, who then added to his gross stupidity by b*ll*cking Clayton Ince, as if it was the bl**dy keeper's fault - PRAT !

To be honest Geoff, our own goalkeeping coach, Mick Kearns, pointed the finger of blame at Clayton Ince for the 2nd goal... Saying he hesitated and dithered and that the cross really was a keepers ball.

Should have been cleared before it reached Ince, Stu.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:12 pm

cheesebag wrote:I think the mini-cheddars quite enjoyed chanting YGA at you Gaz, I was particularly impressed by Ella's comeback when you called her a Banana head and she called you a skat!!!! (I spelt it like that cos I know it is now a banned word) :lol:

I tells yer cheesey baby, they are going to get a shoeing if they keep being cheeky! Except Ella, shes quite nice to me most of the time.

I cannot believe you and Claypole have taught them to say the word that cannot be mentioned

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:13 pm

Great report mate. I agree with the fish and chips, Pure class :D Beer was ok too in the leaking boot. Also couldn't belive when a few players was going mad at ince for the 2nd goal!! Idiots!

A win needed tuesday!

UTS
Last edited by coxy_saddler on Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mozza_saddler

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:20 pm

totally poor performance today, but i think its for the best, its the only way they will learn and hopefully get their act together for tuesday!!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:39 pm

cheesebag wrote:
Stu wrote:

Should have been cleared before it reached Ince, Stu.

Well Stu I can only speak as one who was only 10-15 yards from the incident, right behind that side of the goal, as were many UTS members, and much closer than Kearns obviously. It should have been cleared before it got anywhere near the keeper, and probably before it got to KT, but that in no way excuses what KT did.

BASIC RULE - when defending DO NOT return the ball into or across your own goalmouth. Kris Taylor did just that, it was ludicrous, so he's guilty as charged, absolutely NO doubt about it, and we were much much much nearer than Mick Kearns mate.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:49 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote: Geoff don't listen to what the rest of 'em say I don't actually think you look that old, from what everyone said I was expecting a REALLY old chap. xx

Oh thanks for that Gary, you make me feel SO good ! :lol:

Seriously though, I've been critical of some of the stuff you post on the board, but Daz has assured me it's harmless fun and if I knew you, I'd think different and find you to be a great character. Daz's word is good enough for me, and having seen you cavorting with the Mini-Cheddars today, I can see he was right.

Strange isn't it that you can get someone totally wrong, but that's a problem with message-boarding, impressions are often totally wrong.

Nice to meet you today anyway (well sort-of meet, if you can call it "meet" across a few rows of seats). :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Oh dont worry, when people get to know me they see my classy non skat purveying ways and generally think im not a ****.

I can't believe Daz said good things about me considering the gyp he gets for his pink shirted ways.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season