Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnet (A) League - Saturday 02/09/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
swillw

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:51 pm

Bah! 1-0 to Barnet at the moment. They'll have to change things round but I reckon we'll still nick it 2-1!

Hope Roper's back for second half

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:03 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Sounds like we lack width!

I am sure I just heard Leamore calling for Wright to be brought on :shock:

Are you on drugs, Cyclo?!?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Fandango on

Roper not out after half time

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Demon for Taylor

Width and attack!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:17 pm

GOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL

KEATES!!!!!

DD IS A WIZARD!

kevin
UTS Legend

SAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLL

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

I've always said Keates is brilliant.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:18 pm

Get in!! This is more like it, F!ckin chuckin everythin at them!!!

Who moved the goalposts?

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:22 pm

DEANO! Is still average

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:25 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:DEANO!

:shock:

Always said he was our best player...

:lol:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Markie Wright Wright Wright

on for Sam

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:49 pm

4 Mins stoppage, Come on!

Who moved the goalposts?

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:51 pm

I fear we're going to be short of goals this season.... :cry:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Well

Still unbeaten and again this is helped by good management changes

I'll take that for today

Over to England now ...

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Draw will do. Got the point should of got the 3 by the sounds of it. But barnet could of snatched it, Wrighty should of burried he's chance he had off the line! Need another striker to pair up with butler !

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Markie Wright Wright Wright

on for Sam

You too snobby for the chat room?

Fair result on balance. problems up front and at back, and in the middle for us. Difficult conditions, but players need to get used to their roles, and I'm worrying that the squad aren't all utility players.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Exile wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:Markie Wright Wright Wright

on for Sam

You too snobby for the chat room?

Fair result on balance. problems up front and at back, and in the middle for us. Difficult conditions, but players need to get used to their roles, and I'm worrying that the squad aren't all utility players.

Was that where all the cool folk were hanging out? :cry:

I didn't know - story of my life :roll:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:34 pm

Summary on front-page.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:04 pm

Far be it from me to criticise Dickie Dosh, who has been brilliant, but I just couldn't understand today's starting line-up. Fox and Pead as wide midfielders? Not in a million years. Fox has been unimpressive in every game on the left of midfield, and I know people will say we haven't conceded many from our left side,but even so - surely we could be more ambitious. We have the capability of wiping the floor with some teams in this division and today was an opportunity to do so - seemingly evidenced by the comments from the WM reporters in the second half. Surely we could have had more of a go at them from the start? We should make teams afraid of us, like they will be afraid of Swindon right now - we've got a squad every bit as good as Swindon's and I'd love to see us striking the fear of God into the opposition. Playing no fewer than four players out of position from the start, at Barnet, when you've got plenty of good players to play int he right positions, is a strange thing to do.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:13 pm

I reckon in away games we have to bite the bullet and start with Ish. Todays starting line up was far to narrow and defensive, before the game had even started we were putting 10 men behind the ball, we were all ready on the back foot, asking to concede.

Edo

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:59 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Draw will do. Got the point should of got the 3 by the sounds of it. But barnet could of snatched it, Wrighty should of burried he's chance he had off the line! Need another striker to pair up with butler !

Yep badly in need of another striker.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Today, we were second best for most of the game, no question. Dobson tried hard but looked off the pace and the back four looked fairly uncomfortable all afternoon. I actually thought we looked more organised in the second half when Westwood partnered Gerrard at the back. That's no disrespect to Roper, but Gerrard and Roper seemed all over the place in the first half.

We started brightly in the second half, got the goal, and for about 5 minutes we looked like we were going on to win the game. We failed to sustain our pressure in the final third however, and they got back into the game. I have to say, Sam's performance today was the worst strikers performance since Barrowman - he just looks half asleep most of the time, makes little effort to pressurise the defenders and holds onto the ball for too long when he could play a simple pass.

Wright came on and to his credit, held his position well enough to find space out wide and get the ball in threatening positions. Disappointingly he played the wrong ball both times as the 'keeper easily gathered his cross/shot, which should have been directed into the path of Butler, free in front of an open goal at the back post.
Ishmel also showed what he's capable of today when he went on one mazy dribble, beating 3 players before forcing the 'keeper into a very good save. the follow up by Wright was very well cleared by a defender on the line.
I have probably made this sound like we were unlucky to draw. We weren't. Barnet had a few very good chances, most of them comng from corners, long throws into our box.

A word of mention has to go to the ref and linesman nearest to us in the first half. They were atrocious, especially in the first half.

Comedy moment of the day has to go to Ishmel's reaction to their right back (and captain) getting penalised for a foul. For those who weren't there, Ishmel had a smile like a cheshire cat and basically laughed in the blokes face. This was enjoyed by our fans after the same player had been giving us stick for much of the second half.

Mozza_saddler

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I reckon in away games we have to bite the bullet and start with Ish. Todays starting line up was far to narrow and defensive, before the game had even started we were putting 10 men behind the ball, we were all ready on the back foot, asking to concede.

i agree fair play to money for noticing that though and making the right changes, i would have preffered to have saw ish and the fang starting on the wings though i think we would have won then
Last edited by Mozza_saddler on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:39 pm

hector sam is rubbish.

no say in the matter at all, he spends most of his time on the floor, doesnt move for the ball like he did in pre season and when he does have the ball he gives it away cheaply

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:58 pm

Please, please, please believe me that I'm not having a pop at Dicky Dosh. I still believe 100% in him. I'm just strting to get the first nagging worries that we're going to be too defensive in too many games this season. Bristol Fan is spot on, we've got enough quality to see off most teams in this division, we don't need to sit back and defend so much. We need to back ourselves a bit more.

I have backed Sam up to now, mainly on the strength of his assists. However reading a few reports from people there today and what I've seen myself, I think it's time he was rested. We need two goalscorers if we're going to keep in touch with teams like Swindon. We lack pace and energy up front.

All in all, a good start to the season but we need to make sure we don't self destruct by retreating into our shells.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:02 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Please, please, please believe me that I'm not having a pop at Dicky Dosh. I still believe 100% in him. I'm just strting to get the first nagging worries that we're going to be too defensive in too many games this season. Bristol Fan is spot on, we've got enough quality to see off most teams in this division, we don't need to sit back and defend so much. We need to back ourselves a bit more.

I have backed Sam up to now, mainly on the strength of his assists. However reading a few reports from people there today and what I've seen myself, I think it's time he was rested. We need two goalscorers if we're going to keep in touch with teams like Swindon. We lack pace and energy up front.

All in all, a good start to the season but we need to make sure we don't self destruct by retreating into our shells.

Aye thats true, having 3 attacking wingers on the bench while 2 full backs are on the wings is odd to see!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Aye thats true, having 3 attacking wingers on the bench while 2 full backs are on the wings is odd to see!

Especially when DD plays a centre half and a midfielder as full backs.

Would it be so crazy to start with Pead at right back and Fox at left back?

We have played 7 matches so far this season and DD has tried a number of different combinations in most positions, but he has never played Pead and Fox as our two full backs.

Wayne's Ecker

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:51 pm

A poor performance today it has to be said. A shame that our best chances fell to Wright (we didn't have a shot on goal before the break) but we would have been flattered by a win. The midfield was frequently overrun, we sat back too deep and couldn't clear the ball and the likes of Dobson, Westwood and Sam looked well off the pace.
If you want a positive it was that we got a point from a tame showing.
I think today brought the reality of life in the 4th division home to a lot of us. Now we see how far we have fallen in the last couple of years!
I must confess to mentally having this down as the easier of the two successive away games. Getting apprehensive about Grimsby now.....
A good turn out by the travelling Saddlers today. Nice to meet a couple more Southern Exiles, at this rate we will be into double figures soon!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:57 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Please, please, please believe me that I'm not having a pop at Dicky Dosh. I still believe 100% in him. I'm just strting to get the first nagging worries that we're going to be too defensive in too many games this season. Bristol Fan is spot on, we've got enough quality to see off most teams in this division, we don't need to sit back and defend so much. We need to back ourselves a bit more.

I have to agree Dave , we have to be more positive and direct away from home. We were in the second half to-day and at Lincoln .Having said that the conditions and the slope coild'nt have helped today . and to fair a draw at Barnet is not a bad result. What concerns me is drawing away puts extra pressure on home results. We have pace in Ishmel and Fanguiero we must make use of them much better .

sj
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:58 pm

DD,s Plays a defensive side in the first half away from home to "Draw the Sting" from the home team. And in the 2nd half he goes for it. A good system I think.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season