Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Darlington (H) League Saturday 26/8/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:28 am

I was reading a programme over someones shoulder today, am I right in thinking that you were in there Per giving your Walsall XI?

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:42 am

redalways wrote:What a load of crap written above. We have won five out of six games and had five clean sheets and we are still moaning! Our fans are worse than the Dingles.

Fact 1
Dicky is playing some out of position in order to get more out of the squad. He cant dump them all and start afresh. How did Taylor play at full back under the Scumbag. He did not want to know then. Today he came off the bench to give a quality performance. Remember Pead in midfield last year. Prefer Wright at full back to Westwood?

Fact 2
Having sorted a very leaky defence, he has produced a midfield that has worked harder than I can remember in decades. How could Keates be still running at the end of that performance? Wright had his best game for many months. OK there is still room for improvement in a number of areas, but when we get it, we are going to tear some team apart.

Fact 3
He has recognised that we still need someone else up front. However Constable has improved and Sam is creating. The only reason Darlington had so much possession today was because we did not kill them off with a second goal, despite having the chances. The last task for DD is to refine the final ball into the box to strikers who are ruthless.

No doubt some of you will be saying that because he hasn't achieved this in 6 games he should be sacked. Start giving Westwood, Wright and Constable some slack! Start enjoying our success for God's sake!

Spot on redalways, we dominated the first half, and if their GP had not pulled off a brilliant save from Butler, and Constable had not missed a sitter it would have been game over at half time.

Regarding Constable, it seemed to that he created more goal threat in their area in 45 mins than Sam has done in all the games that he has has played this season(this is not a criticism of Sam, whose overall play creates a lot.), and is surely worth a run of a few games so that we can see just what he can do.

freddyadu

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:35 am

westwood was terrible today seemed to slice every pass/shot/long ball

fang was ok had a great long range shot before he came off

but we are unbeaten so people cant moan as much

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:52 am

Stu wrote:I was reading a programme over someones shoulder today, am I right in thinking that you were in there Per giving your Walsall XI?

Yes he was indeed Stu. Anyone take a look at the "Away Daze" section and notice a familiar UTS moderator giving his views on the day in Rochdale alongside a picture of himself? 8)

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:03 am

Time for a realilty check

We are playing 4th yes 4th division football , we dont need to play like Brazil to win promotion ,what do need is what we saw yesterday .
A team %100 united playing working for each other , battling and scraping for every ball . each and every one running thier legs off.

A lot of positives came from the game for me . Pead in midfield was outstanding , Roper was simply out of the world the man is awesome.
Fanguerio looked good in parts and may do a job for us . Kris Taylor made an impact in the second half. We are a team that is difficult to break down. we will get better ,we will dominate other teams at times . We have not played at our beat yet and when do look out Swindon.
Last edited by Duke on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:15 am

Stu wrote:I was reading a programme over someones shoulder today, am I right in thinking that you were in there Per giving your Walsall XI?

yes... I heard Mick Kearns mention it on SaddlersWorld during the match :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 am

Some unbelievable comments there, to ne honest. Yes, Westwood's distribution was terrible at times, but he was NOT being caught out of position.

DD passed another test for me today, against a team playing 4 3 3, turning that into 3 4 3 when the left back broke. His solution to having Joachim playing wide left was to have Westwood mark him and, if you were watching, Westwood followed him everwhere when he was in his half of the pitch. The result? Joachim never got a kick. His only threat was one shot in the first half when he turned up on Fox's flank and a few crosses in the second when he went on the right wing.

The problem on our right side was their left back coming forward into the space and Fangueiro not tracking him back. The second half, when he bought off the completely ineffectual Constable (who missed one of the easiest chances you'll ever see) and put Wright on the right wing, that blocked off that particular route.

The thing that had been missing all game was the creativity from central midfield. Pead had a good game there, but Keates creates very little other than from set pieces and we missed Sam's link up play desperately until he came on, when we held the ball up much, much better.

Basically, we've survived three or so games now with a makeshift central midfield and that just bodes well for the future. Come back, Dobbo, as soon as possible!

On top of that, we defended superbly as a team and both centre backs were superb, especially dealing with Conlon.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:51 am

Those are the games promotion is made of, didn't go so can't comment on the match, but these 1-0 wins are the way you get promotion ala Sir Ray

Up the Saddlers

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:43 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:The second half, when he brought off the completely ineffectual Constable (who missed one of the easiest chances you'll ever see).............

Very good post, Neil..............but you just couldn't resist the chance to have a dig at Constable, could you? What HAS he done to upset you? Yes, he did miss a relatively easy chance but he created that chance entirely on his own, through his own strength and persistence. He created havoc in their penalty area, every time he got the ball. Butler missed a chance, almost as easy, soon afterwards but do we see even a hint of criticism? Of course not. Butler, like Sam, is immune from any criticism.

Whereas Butler has contributed greatly to the team performance, Sam continues to frustrate and disappoint. Yes, he works very hard. Yes, he holds the ball up well. Yes, he brings a physical presence. These are desirable qualities which add to the team's overall play - BUT - and it is a very big BUT - his finishing is non-existent! We cannot expect to rely entirely on Butler to score goals if we are to be serious title contenders. Call me old-fashioned but I harbour this naive idea that strikers should score their quota of goals. Sam appears to be so bereft of confidence that he won't even try to shoot. Yesterday was a classic example when he surged through but would not shoot (or pass to the available Butler) and as a consequence lost possession. He desperately needs a goal to boost his confidence. I have actually seen him score (at Carmarthen) so I know he CAN do it if he tries!

I do not disagree with your view that Constable is a long way short of the finished article but I would go so far as to say that if DD were to give him as many minutes on the pitch as, say, Butler and Sam, then he would finish as our leading scorer. Instead, Sam gets extended, goalless runs in the team whereas Constable has brief snatches of games. Hardly a fair basis for comparison. To anticipate your riposte, I do not see why Constable should be seen exclusively as Butler's understudy. He can play alongside Butler, as he has already shown.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 am

Glad you said that Leamore, as Constable was FAR from ineffective yesterday, in fact I thought he was a real livewire and caused them problems.

In fact, I think part of the reason for the poor performance in the 2nd half was Constable going off, as we lost a bit of pace, energy and enthuiasm as we seemed to play 4-4-1-1 in the 2nd half with first Fang and the Sam behind Butler.

Constable had absolutely no right to get to that ball between the defender and the keeper, so yes, he fluffed the chance, but he had no right to get there and he just didn't seem to realise how much time he had to get his shot away.

He linked up well with Butler, had good movement and I thought had a decent first half.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:56 am

Totally agree with Stu and Leamore , yes Constable missed a great chance but overall his game was very good ,strong running , pace and linked up well with Butler . a big improvement imo.
Having said that Sam would be my first choice because he hold the ball up much better .
Last edited by Duke on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:24 am

Constable is improving fast, but the improvement up front when Sam came on was clear and instant. For me, it has to be Butler and Sam as the main pairing, with Constable coming off the bench.

I find it a bit odd that someone said Constable only gets bit-parts, and at the same time criticises Sam for not scoring. Constable had a full 45 minutes from kick-off yesterday, had chances including one of the easiest you'll ever see (which I accept HE made entirely by his own persistence, so fair play to him for that) and failed again to find the net. OK, so Sam didn't score, but neither did Constable.

The important thing for me is the overall contribution to the team effort, and in that respect Sam's the man, he chases, he never gives up, if he loses the ball he's in there like a tiger trying to get it back. He reminds me greatly of Jorge, and that's no bad thing to have in your side.

Butler and Sam, and Constable still coming off the bench and still learning - that's my formula anyway.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 am

My formula is sign another striker :P

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:45 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Constable is improving fast, but the improvement up front when Sam came on was clear and instant.

Really? I didn't see any impact at all from Sam to be honest... I said pre-season that I didn't think he'd score goals, and I've seen nothing to change my mind.

He is a nice link up player, but just doesn't look like coming close to scoring, let alone contributing 15 goals.

I must admit, I'd have Constable ahead of Sam but would like to sign another striker, someone capable of scoring 15-18 goals and who has pace to get behind teams, which is what we missed yesterday.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:55 am

Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Constable is improving fast, but the improvement up front when Sam came on was clear and instant.

Really? I didn't see any impact at all from Sam to be honest... I said pre-season that I didn't think he'd score goals, and I've seen nothing to change my mind.

He is a nice link up player, but just doesn't look like coming close to scoring, let alone contributing 15 goals.

I must admit, I'd have Constable ahead of Sam but would like to sign another striker, someone capable of scoring 15-18 goals and who has pace to get behind teams, which is what we missed yesterday.

Quite so, Stu. If you remember, Geoff, Sam did not replace Constable (Taylor did). I felt that we were much more threatening in the first half but when Constable was taken off, Taylor came into left midfield, Wright switched to the right and the Fang moved into the middle to play off Butler. This latter experiment did not work and, yes, we looked better when Sam replaced Fangueiro.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:59 am

Stu wrote:

If you'll check again Stu, I didn't say he looked like scoring, but that's not the whole point is it? We began to look more dangerous again at a time when I'd started to think a Darlington equaliser was getting more and more inevitable. They had to think more about their defensive duties rather than pressing us back as much as they had been doing.

We held the ball more in their half after Sam came on, that was blindingly obvious, so his contribution may not have been in scoring, but it certainly WAS in relieving pressure at the other end, to help us keep that narrow lead intact. It's obvious that DD loves clean sheets, and he knows as well as us that Sam is no prolific goalscorer, so I doubt if he brought him on to get us another goal. It was to keep the ball up the pitch more, which is one of Sam's obvious strengths, and in that respect I for one definitely spotted Sam's contribution and the improvement that came about immediately.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:07 pm

right geoff if DD aim was to increase our lead then surely bringing Ishy on was the option. As you say Sam on came to relieve the pressure and it worked very well .

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:19 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Stu wrote:

If you'll check again Stu, I didn't say he looked like scoring, but that's not the whole point is it? We began to look more dangerous again at a time when I'd started to think a Darlington equaliser was getting more and more inevitable. They had to think more about their defensive duties rather than pressing us back as much as they had been doing.

We held the ball more in their half after Sam came on, that was blindingly obvious, so his contribution may not have been in scoring, but it certainly WAS in relieving pressure at the other end, to help us keep that narrow lead intact. It's obvious that DD loves clean sheets, and he knows as well as us that Sam is no prolific goalscorer, so I doubt if he brought him on to get us another goal. It was to keep the ball up the pitch more, which is one of Sam's obvious strengths, and in that respect I for one definitely spotted Sam's contribution and the improvement that came about immediately.

Thats exactly right, me and Percie said the same thing. On JC though, I thought he did well, the open goal he missed was when he thought he was under immediate pressure so got his shot off as quick as he could, thus scuffing it and looking like a pillock.

Neil, did JC try and cop off with anyone you like, as this is the only reason I can think of you getting on his back so much. The boy JC does offer to the team in a different capacity to Sam.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Sorry, Gary, but until he learns to trap a ball (at the moment he doesn't look like he can trap a bag of cement - he took one yesterday that bounced 10 yards away from him), and learn to make runs OFF the ball properly, taking defenders away, he'll be of limited value.

As a footballer, he's just nowhere in the same class as Sam or Butler, at the moment.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Sorry, Gary, but until he learns to trap a ball (at the moment he doesn't look like he can trap a bag of cement - he took one yesterday that bounced 10 yards away from him), and learn to make runs OFF the ball properly, taking defenders away, he'll be of limited value.

As a footballer, he's just nowhere in the same class as Sam or Butler, at the moment.

Martin Butler - Walsall X2, Reading, Cambridge and Rotherham.

Hector Sam - Walsall, Port Fail and Wrexham

JC - Chippenham bloody Town and Walsall (and only in the last 3 months he has had proper coaching)

No he's not Neil, but looking at that, hes not really had a chance has he?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Sorry Neil, but you were watching a different player yesterday...

One bad first touch doesn't mean his first touch is poor, in fact, its improved a hell of a lot in my opinion... His movement is getting much better, and I'd personally say off the ball he offered more than Sam did when he came on.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Stu wrote:Sorry Neil, but you were watching a different player yesterday...

One bad first touch doesn't mean his first touch is poor, in fact, its improved a hell of a lot in my opinion... His movement is getting much better, and I'd personally say off the ball he offered more than Sam did when he came on.

However Sam is proving brilliant at holding the ball up and Dicky has got a real gem when he needs to change tactics up top.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:15 pm

redalways wrote:What a load of crap written above. We have won five out of six games and had five clean sheets and we are still moaning! Our fans are worse than the Dingles.

Fact 1
Dicky is playing some out of position in order to get more out of the squad. He cant dump them all and start afresh. How did Taylor play at full back under the Scumbag. He did not want to know then. Today he came off the bench to give a quality performance. Remember Pead in midfield last year. Prefer Wright at full back to Westwood?

Fact 2
Having sorted a very leaky defence, he has produced a midfield that has worked harder than I can remember in decades. How could Keates be still running at the end of that performance? Wright had his best game for many months. OK there is still room for improvement in a number of areas, but when we get it, we are going to tear some team apart.

Fact 3
He has recognised that we still need someone else up front. However Constable has improved and Sam is creating. The only reason Darlington had so much possession today was because we did not kill them off with a second goal, despite having the chances. The last task for DD is to refine the final ball into the box to strikers who are ruthless.

No doubt some of you will be saying that because he hasn't achieved this in 6 games he should be sacked. Start giving Westwood, Wright and Constable some slack! Start enjoying our success for God's sake!

Totally agree!! Some of the stuff posted on here is frankly mind-blowing. We're not going to play well every week, nor are we going to win every game. Four months ago we looked like we'd be heading for the Conference with Barrowman, Fitzgerald, Claridge et al. Do people remember those dark days? Stopping the rot at a football club in terminal decline is a huge task and DD has already achieved that, somehow. We are the first team to stop Darlington scoring this season, we took a point at Lincoln who are absolutely flying, beat a Championship team away in the cup to set up a tie with a Premiership club. This is one of the best starts to a season the club has ever had - 5 clean sheets in 6 games!!!! And people are booing one of our defenders?? Its unbelivebale. I'm just waiting for Clayton Ince to make one mistake so everyone can go "there you are told you he was sh!t". We have made an awesome start to this season, missing I might add, about 6 players, something that no other team in this league could live with.

A huge well done to DD, and to JB for backing him. If you had told me we would win five and draw one I wouldn't have believed you I expected a much slower start than this with so many new players, several of whom are recovering from serious injury - eg. Sam, Butler, Dobson, etc. We havn't got out of second gear - but we will when we get everyone fit and firing and when the already burgeoning confidence fully returns after two years of Merson abuse. As Redalways says we will destroy somebody in the weeks ahead. After the last three results I fully expect a top three finish from this squad and manager, and that is entirely due to the manager and the way he has turned things around in an unbelievably short space of time.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Comments on the individuals:

Westwood - everyone agrees his distribution was awful. That's problem one of putting a centre half at full back. Problem two is that they are dragged inside the whole time. I thought his defending was very poor and he was badly exposed in that position. We need a proper full back, one who can get up and down, pass the ball, mark wingers, block crosses, defend the far post. Don't think Westy did any of that today. If they had brought that player on down the left a bit earlier (Simon Johnson?) I think they might have got some more joy. Well done to Wrighty for helping out, but Westy is looking lost at the moment. It's all well and good heading away set pieces, but all that shows is that he would be a much better central defender.

The Fang - didn't know what to make of him. He showed some neat touches and did trouble the Darlington defence. But the two footed lunge was criminal and could well have been a red card - we can't afford any stupidity like that. Also he tends to wander all over the pitch which means our Money patented solid 4-4-2 becomes more disjointed. Impact player off the bench I reckon.

Keates - You either love him or you, er, quite like him. I think he's fantastic when he plays like he does today. I'm not sure how much he contributed to our losing possession too easily, but he way more than made up for that with the number of times he won it back. He must be hellish to play against as he never gives up and covers every blade of grass on the pitch. I reckon almost as many Darlo attacks floundered due to him as they did due to interceptions from Ropes and Ant Gerrard.

Constable - what a frustration. I think he's great - young, raw talent and willing to learn. But he has the knack of doing the hard bit and mucking up on the easy bit. Twice he ruined great openings by rushing the finish, but then can pull something out the bag like that cut inside and left foot shot which whistled just wide. Keep persevering with this one, I'm confident it will come good in due course.

The rest - Ince was imposing, Roper was almost impeccable, Pead showed great graft and Butler is simply one of the best strikers in the division. Overall we were OK, but OK was enough today. It'll be enough on a lot of occasions this season if we keep up our excellent defensive record. Great work by Dickie today who had to keep pace with Darlington's increasingly flamboyant tactics and changed the shape of our team at least three times and on each occasion got it spot on. I see Swindon are top and have won five out of five. They have a very similar record to ours with wins against Hartlepool, Rochdale, Stockport and Darlington. But they will be tested in the upcoming matches with away games at Chester and Wrexham and home matches against MK Dons and Peterborough.

Completey agree so I only need to say that these are the wins that promotions are built on. We weren't brilliant but we kept a trio of forwards quiet that would get into almost any other team in the division.

Neil, you arte starting to live up to "Ravenscock" tag. Blind. :P

Futuresobright - Thanks for proving you can post other than to blindly defend Merson. Unfortunately you were at a different game yesterday.

Roll on Barnet, then Grimsby, two more winnable games. In fact they are all winnable while we are so organised.

Just one other thing, I would like to point out that the two chances Constable should have done better with were on his right foot. He is all left footed like Junior was unfortunately. I do concede that he had time to compose himself and finish with his left though. It is funny Neil that you can blame Constable for poor finishing even though it is on his wrong foot yet you can't criticise Westwood for passing the ball into touch with his favoured foot on a few occasions (for the third game on the trot). He did defend well though but is a centre half. I'll continue to say it as it is completely valid...if he's not good enough at centre half to force Roper and Gerrard out then he shouldn't be played out of position at full back when he squanders possession so easily.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:46 pm

Feel free to pinch bits out of my posts anytime you like mate :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm

I think with Dobbo back, and maybe Bedeau to give us another option up front there will be a destructive win in the pipeline in the nest few weeks.
I fancy Grimsby who are woeful, or bottom placed Macclesfield to be favourites for a right wallopping as a warm up for the Bolton game.
Also Swindon play on friday this week, so if they fail to win we will know that a win over Barnet will be enough to send us top.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

This division so far??

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:07 pm

Well after the first month of the season things are starting to settle down and I'll stick my neck out and say that the top five now will be the top five at the end of the season. Everyone's been going on about Darlington but I think yesterday confirmed what was shown against Swindon the week before, against the stronger teams they havn't got what it takes.

Hartlepool, despite on paper being a strong team, havn't achieved what we have - stopping the rot, although I reckon they will turn things around eventually and join Darlo around the play-offs. That's my top 7, as for the rest?? Wrexham on their day are decent but lack consistency, Notts County have had one or two decent results against the better teams, and Hereford look like the one that always come up from the Conference to do well.

Automatic promotion? Us, Swindon, and MK Dongs all making a swift return for me. Lincoln looked a really good team last week, but like Peterborough they will suffer through having a lack of strength in depth as the season progresses.

Macc and I'm sorry to say Rochdale heading for the Conference.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Stu wrote:

I've never read anything of yours and thought your way off the mark.

But i think your a bit wrong there. I think Sam has been crucial to our build up play and style of play. I'd say Him or Fang, and Butler or Constable is the pairing we should be looking to use. The ball didn't stick up front until Fang went up top and later Sam.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:37 pm

One things for sure while we are defending as we are we don't need Sam to get 15 goals. There has only been one time this season we have needed to throw caution to the wind against Lincoln, using two out and out wingers and two attacking midfielders - it worked a treat and we turned the game around.

I really don't know why people are in anyway concerned about this. Sam has made a telling contribution to our start, making at least 3 goals I can remember - including the winner at Rochdale that got the ball rolling so to speak. He is an important member of the squad and an excellent foil for the prolific Butler who will get 25 goals this season if he stays injury free.

I really wish people would stop nit-picking over individuals and start seeing the bigger picture - its a team game.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:38 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Sorry, Gary, but until he learns to trap a ball (at the moment he doesn't look like he can trap a bag of cement - he took one yesterday that bounced 10 yards away from him), and learn to make runs OFF the ball properly, taking defenders away, he'll be of limited value.

Neil

Ian Wright had the same problem when he started at Palarse. JC is still young has alot to learn, he also was only training twice a week this time last season. JC can and will score goals for us . I guess Neil you not see him play at Swansea last in the LDV , Blackpool at home. I feel he is out most dangerous forward we have got, he may not have the ability of the like of Sam and Butler but that will come given time

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season