Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Darlington (H) League Saturday 26/8/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:36 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Sam makes a lot of things happen and despite not scoring himself, I think he has more assists than anyone else in the goals we have scored.

To me, Butler and Constable together did not create as much as Butler and Sam in earlier games.

Agree that Sam makes things happen, unfortunately, I don't think the bloke has had a shot since the real season kicked off... For all folk can say we're winning, we can't afford to carry a striker that really doesn't look like scoring as it heaps pressure on Butler.

You say that you didn't think Butler & Constable created as much, yet you also admit that Darlington were far superior opposition, yet between the two they had 3 or 4 clear cut chances in the first half and really should have scored at least 2 of those. I think 3/4 clear cut chances in 45 minutes is a lot of chances to be honest.

I'm hoping we sign a new striker thought to be honest, as Constable is raw and Sam just hasn't impressed me yet.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Stu wrote:I'm hoping we sign a new striker thought to be honest, as Constable is raw and Sam just hasn't impressed me yet.

Agreed Stu. Money wanted to bring Morrell in a few weeks ago, even when we had Sam and Constable so I'd like to think that he still thinks we need another striker (even though Morrell has now gone to Blackpool).

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 am

Stu wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Sam makes a lot of things happen and despite not scoring himself, I think he has more assists than anyone else in the goals we have scored.

To me, Butler and Constable together did not create as much as Butler and Sam in earlier games.

Agree that Sam makes things happen, unfortunately, I don't think the bloke has had a shot since the real season kicked off... For all folk can say we're winning, we can't afford to carry a striker that really doesn't look like scoring as it heaps pressure on Butler.

You say that you didn't think Butler & Constable created as much, yet you also admit that Darlington were far superior opposition, yet between the two they had 3 or 4 clear cut chances in the first half and really should have scored at least 2 of those. I think 3/4 clear cut chances in 45 minutes is a lot of chances to be honest.

I'm hoping we sign a new striker thought to be honest, as Constable is raw and Sam just hasn't impressed me yet.

We could argue this 'til the cows come home Stu.

3/4 good chances in 45 mins may be good, but Butler scored one and missed one, Constable missed both of his, one an absolute sitter, and despite a hard-working first half, he didn't really look like scoring - in fact I have very little confidence in him scoring at all, because as you say he is raw, and he has no composure when it comes to that vital moment in front of goal.

I didn't say Darlington were FAR superior opposition - YOU did - I just said they were better.

I said Sam has more assists, I think you'll find that's a fact, and for me he can score very few as long as he sets up chances for others to convert. He has ten times more "nous" on the pitch than Constable. That's why Sam is for today and Constable for tomorrow - I still say the former for the starting eleven, the latter for the bench!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:41 am

Keates missed a wide-open goal the last game, courtesy of his one-footedness. Shall we drop him or transfer list him?

Everyone has a limitation, that's why they play for peanuts for us in League Two, with few exceptions. It's taking these players and getting a synergistic benefit that's the manager's job, and one the last one failed at miserably. Dick Dosh shows all the signs of making a team that's better than the sum of the parts (that's synergy, for those that don't know the word) so far. Obviously it's early days, but it really is looking good at the moment.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:13 am

Exile wrote:Keates missed a wide-open goal the last game, courtesy of his one-footedness. Shall we drop him or transfer list him?

Everyone has a limitation, that's why they play for peanuts for us in League Two, with few exceptions. It's taking these players and getting a synergistic benefit that's the manager's job, and one the last one failed at miserably. Dick Dosh shows all the signs of making a team that's better than the sum of the parts (that's synergy, for those that don't know the word) so far. Obviously it's early days, but it really is looking good at the moment.

EXACTLY! It's how the eleven fit together and DD is looking how players compliment each other. As far as I'm concerned, he's doing a fine job at it too.

Another striker who can play with Butler or Constable is still the real answer.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:38 am

Exile wrote:Keates missed a wide-open goal the last game, courtesy of his one-footedness. Shall we drop him or transfer list him?

BOOOOOOO to your management speak.

By the way, I love how this season the new manager has instilled his Dosh-ian principles even in the fans. We are all enjoying the tremendous start we've made so far but are still looking (see also the Wrack thread) at how we can fine tune the side further. The winning mentality is rubbing off.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 am

Registered Saddler wrote:

BOOOOOOO to your management speak.

By the way, I love how this season the new manager has instilled his Dosh-ian principles even in the fans. We are all enjoying the tremendous start we've made so far but are still looking (see also the Wrack thread) at how we can fine tune the side further. The winning mentality is rubbing off.

I never thought about it like that, but it's a great idea!

I love DI Burnside

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:00 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:I love DI Burnside

Look aht! The slahgs 'ave got shooters!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:09 am

Exile wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:I love DI Burnside

Look aht! The slahgs 'ave got shooters!

His real name is Chris Ellison, looks like i've got a little family snooping to do!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:10 am

Got some pics at the game;

Mr Ravenscroft spotted

Daz, imparting his knowledge on slanting

Percie, Ad and Gaz

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am

Christ, Ad looks really happy to see you!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:18 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Christ, Ad looks really happy to see you!

Well I thought that, but if you look closely, he's looking in a slightly different direction!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:Christ, Ad looks really happy to see you!

Well I thought that, but if you look closely, he's looking in a slightly different direction!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:32 am

Whoever plays up front, it SHOULD NOT be the bloke who did the corner challenge at half time :shock:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 am

philthesaddler wrote:Got some pics at the game;

Mr Ravenscroft spotted

Daz, imparting his knowledge on slanting

Percie, Ad and Gaz

second picture down man at the front on the right

:shock: how long as Kirk Douglas been a Saddler

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season