Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (A) Carling Cup Round 1-Tue 22/08/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:04 am

Great report MMF .
Thats 2 glowing reports now on Pead playing midfield . really looking foward to seeing him play that role on Saturday .

CoalpoolSaddler

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Great report MMF .
Thats 2 glowing reports now on Pead playing midfield . really looking foward to seeing him play that role on Saturday .

Dobson still out then ?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:56 am

Lets not forget that last night result was achieved without Picken, Dobson, Bedeau, Wrack, Nicholls, Kinsella, and Butler. Obviously Butler and Dobson are massive players for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if Picken and Bedeau became first choices over time. So this idea that we shouldn't be getting carried away is a bit perplexing.

I only see us getting stronger to be honest as players come back to fitness. Yes we will lose games and have bad spells over the season but this has been an outstanding start, achieved in the main by excellent fitness, organisation, defensive solidity, tactical astuteness (especially the subs) AND some very decent football BUT I don't think we have seen the best of this team yet.

All of the above ingredients are essential for a top 2/3 team as we saw under Graydon, as is the willingness for players to come in and "do a job" and the togetherness aspect.

To win promotion we could likely afford to lose about 10 games. I just don't see where more than 10 defeats are going to occur I'm afraid. Saturday will be extremely tough and you could almost say we are "due a defeat" but it wouldn't bother me that much if we do lose, because I think this team will always have the ability to then string 5 or 6 results together - ala the first Graydon promotion team.

As for luck, well it was pretty unlucky to draw Plymouth away in the first round of the cup!!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:01 am

Fitness is a big difference for us , in the last 2 away games we have finished
the stonger side . DD calling the squad in early for pre season is already paying dividends

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:35 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Fitness is a big difference for us , in the last 2 away games we have finished
the stonger side . DD calling the squad in early for pre season is already paying dividends

Exactly. This was always my major issue with Merson.

We always had more than enough quality to do well in League One even despite poor tactics, but you can't do anything with players who aren't fit.

And as I kept pointing out the Merson apologists, the players weren't training long or hard enough. There was practically no fitness work because M*****n didn't fancy it.

You're right Geordie. Even against opposition from two divisions higher, DD was still experimenting. When his final first choice eleven clicks into place when injuries have cleared up there is no stopping us.

Puddletown Tom

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sean511 wrote:Just been reading the Plymouth fans views. They don't seem too pleased :wink:

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... c&start=30

Thanks for the link sean.

Just read that and even the first page is making me mad with their quotes from Merson.

Holloway has a got a tough job on with Plymouth this season? Why Dickhead? Because we were matching them all over the park? Look at how a sober, professional manager can improve things.

What a prick. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Agree totally. He made no sense all night. He said that Holloway has a hell of a job on his hands. Well, looking at their league position, he's started pretty well. Couldn't accept that we played well and that the victory could possibly be due to some excellent management.

To be honest, I have no idea why they chose Merson. We have a fabulous night and the only way we can get news from the ground (if you live outside the WM) is via sky where we have his ugly face talking jibberish! He was a terrible manager and he is now a terrible, clueless pundit!

Better stop now before I work myself up any more. I'm off to take a sedative!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Puddletown Tom wrote:To be honest, I have no idea why they chose Merson. We have a fabulous night and the only way we can get news from the ground (if you live outside the WM)

You'll have to ignore the issues and get the live commentary and subrscribe to Saddlers World.

Puddletown Tom

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Puddletown Tom wrote:To be honest, I have no idea why they chose Merson. We have a fabulous night and the only way we can get news from the ground (if you live outside the WM)

You'll have to ignore the issues and get the live commentary and subrscribe to Saddlers World.

Yeah you're probably right. Sounds like it fails to work about as much as it works though!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Puddletown Tom wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yeah you're probably right. Sounds like it fails to work about as much as it works though!

Well PM TC and he'll let you know the link to the commentary.Then you can listen to the game and join the rest of us in the chat room (there must have been nearly 20 in there last night).

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:20 pm

Well! After not long getting up after a great night and very very long journey!! What a great performance. Game could of been changed around if there striker slotted there chance away at the start of the match but was a terrible miss. After that plymouth looked nothin special, It had 0-0 written all over it, We all thought it was going to extra time which would of been a b@stard! especially how long it took to get home. When scott dann come on, I thought he was going centre half as you would..but no stright up front :lol: Ball over the box there centre half misses it..wright gets it..great pull back to dann first touch bang..GET IN! superb scenes when we scored and at the end of the match. Superb! :D

Gotta say though, I thought walsall was the capital of chavs. Think again, Plymouth was absolutley covered in them!!! great banter though and when we scored..they felt stupid! :lol: :lol:
Also coming out of plymouth..it was actually nice to milk it giving the 'chavs' some banter as we don't normally win away so much! But great night. Roll on saturday and hopefully someone big in the next round!!

UTS

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Cup games (well, this one anyway) are usually broadcast free to air on Radio WM - you can get coverage in the WM area, or by going to the BBC website and using their radioplayer on line - they broadcast all their local stations on the net.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:53 pm

An away win against higher division opposition in the cup, and only 100 posts on the match thread? Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season