Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (A) Carling Cup Round 1-Tue 22/08/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 pm

Excellent nights work. Job Done.

:mrgreen:

PerStener
UTS Veteran

superb... and what a suprise..

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

And yet another clean sheet - away against a Championship side. Oh, and Darlington had someone sent off in the 12th minute tonight, does that mean he will be unavailable on Saturday?

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:43 pm

aldridge steve wrote:Nice way to celebrate my 1000'th post.

You've been saving that one all night - haven't you!! :wink:

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Fabulous performance,well done DD and the squad tonight.

the_game

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:50 pm

DD is a genious, he does good tac-tics, times his subs perfect, picks his subs perfect, stays positive, always puts a good team on! bringing a defender on upfront & him just happening to score. OMG!!!!

LEAGUE 1 NEXT SEASON!!!!
CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON AFTER!!!!
[beat the blues, coventry, baggies & wolves]

DICKIE DOSH'S BARMY ARMY!!!!
(when does the 2nd round get drawn??)

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 pm

A real surprise...but what a fantastic result. We can go and stifle a Championship side away from home and come back with the win. That must give us a hell of a lot of confidence for Saturday.

crazysaddla

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

great result if your proud to be a saddler clap your hands,if your proud to be a saddler clap your hands,if your proud to be a saddler,proud to be a sssaaaaddleeerrr,proud to be a saddler clap your hands. :D :D :D

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

What a result!!!

Lets not get carried away but great result.
DD's substitutions worked a treat AGAIN tonight. A certain Paul Merscum tried to get the plaudits for giving Dann a contract (cheeky get).

I hear Peado and Fangueiro played outstanding tonight. Bring on the big boys!!

Dickie Dosh's Barmy Army.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:55 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:What a result!!!

DD's substitutions worked a treat AGAIN tonight. A certain Paul Merscum tried to get the plaudits for giving Dann a contract (cheeky get).

Sorry, I am totally and utterly CARRIED AWAY!
Never been so happy supporting the Saddlers since Colin Lee left :lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Sorry since Colin Lees reign!
Jesus I will have people thinking I did not like him next!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 pm

dancingsaddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:Nice way to celebrate my 1000'th post.

You've been saving that one all night - haven't you!! :wink:

Indeed - wanted it to be a "worthwhile" one. Now have to build up to 2000.

crazysaddla

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Sorry since Colin Lees reign!
Jesus I will have people thinking I did not like him next!
how can you live with yourself,saying lee had a reign in our club.long live sir ray and now DD

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:What a result!!!

Sorry, I am totally and utterly CARRIED AWAY!
Never been so happy supporting the Saddlers since Colin Lee left :lol:

After the last two years sheff we all deserve to be happy and over the moon tonight but four games in lets be realistic and hope the results continue to improve.
Ive had a drink tonight (sorry if posts seem to waffle)

(Am I Merson in disguise?) :lol: :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Great game, great result. Must admit I was amazed at Dann coming on, but made to eat my words very quickly.

Hope The Fang isn't too badly injured.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Reality check. Fine margins decide football matches, fine margins. If Fangueiro's shot has a modicum less pace against Lincoln then we lose the game 2-1. If the Plymouth keeper reacts quicker to Mark Wright's mis control then everyone will be banging on about why DD brought Scott Dann on up front rather than David McDermott. Of course, Dickie has worked absolute wonders since taking over and has turned this club around. Everything he has done is turning to gold right now. But sometimes you need things to go your way and the fact that Dann banged in the winner might just possibly be as much luck as judgement. That's not to begrudge our achievement tonight, just to say that lauding genius status on DD this early in his tenure only sets ourselves up for a fall later in proceedings.

Secondly, why is everyone banging on about Merson? OK so he was on Sky Sports tonight but - like an annoying wasp - the best thing to do is ignore it and it'll go away. There is such a positive feeling at the moment that all this harking back to the disastrous Merson mistake is in danger of bringing everyone down. It's all a reminder of when no-one was pulling in the same direction which is the antithesis of what Dickie has introduced. I'm not sure that threats of violence (see another thread on the same subject) are particularly helpful either.

<RANT MODE OVER>

Come on me babbies! Bring on the Villa!

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:41 pm

[quote="Exile"]Great game, great result. Must admit I was amazed at Dann coming on, but made to eat my words very quickly.

Exile, anyone who was at the reserve game against Port Fail when he scored two very well taken goals would not at have been at all surprised.

Not a lucky substitution, an inspired one

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 am

I wasn't at that game, NSS :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 am

Just got back in from Plymouth! and oh my word! what a performance! solid, resolute, organised and hit them right at the death witha well worked move. The Dann substitution was a masterstroke. DD is a genius, Pead played really well again.

Fox played at left back and looked better, KT playing further forward and looked dangerous. Westwood was shocking again tho. And the centre halfs did their job manfully. Sam looked sluggish nd constable didnt look fit, but that was understandable.

All in all, a great scalp and perfect away performance.

Just a not to add that Plymouth is by far and away the worst chav populated stadium, fans and surroundings ive ever been to, and that really surprised me.

UTS!

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:34 am

ill agree with that daz, it really is more chav populated than Walsall!

cat3

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:02 am

Great result, let's continue this momentum and stay on top. If possible, let's win a few rewarding trophies. It's a long shot, but you never know.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:14 am

Fantastic result . well done lads.
Once again we proved we are going to be difficult to beat this season.
Home tie next please, just to see Bescot full again.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

DD even had to cheek to play a weakend side . no Butler or Kinsella :wink:

DICKIE DOSH'S BARMY ARMY .

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:19 am

Reaction (including quotes from both managers):

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... th-dumped/

cat3

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:54 am

Awesome report, keep it up Neil~! :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:07 am

Great result, for the second game running I was bouncing round the flat like zebebee thanks to Sky Sports News.

And Yes, Merson was there commenting on the Walsall game, and as Neil said he was godsmacked, and even said it himself, that basically the same team he had had won a game and not conceded a goal - perhaps there's a lesson there Paul?

He also had a good laugh about his time as manager, good to see he can laugh, maybe he should pop down the fullbrook one night and we'll see who ends up laughing. What a **** the man is.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:17 am

Bit harsh that Phil , after all a @@@@ has its uses :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:22 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Bit harsh that Phil , after all a @@@@ has its uses :wink:

:lol:

sean511
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:33 am

Just been reading the Plymouth fans views. They don't seem too pleased :wink:

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... c&start=30

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:40 am

Great game last night. I always felt we'd be stronger the longer the game went on and last 15-20 mins we were stronger for two games on the trot.

People won't like to hear it but I thought Wright made a difference when he came on, he got 3/4 good crosses over and yes his first touch was bad but he reacted quickly to still lay the pass of for Dann, exactly as he had done earlier for Keates who put the ball over the bar cos it was on his right foot.

Clayton didn't really have a lot to do but what he did do was good.

Westwood had a better game although it's still plainly obvious he's not suited to playing at right back, he keeps coming into the middle of the pitch and leaving space. He made some great tackles though, especially in the second half.

Roper was awesome. Another one of those games where nothing was going to get past him and from the first to the last minute he won everything he went for.

Gerrard once again started poorly but imporved as the game went on.

Fox swapped with Taylor last night and played back at left back, I presume to get Taylor forward more. They both played well but Taylor probably got forward more when he's been at left back.

Pead had another brilliant game in the middle with some lovely passes and through balls that didn't quite come off because people weren't on the same wave length

Keates didn't have his best game but kept plugging away.

Carlos - I was surprised how much he got back and was helping out defending, especially in the first half. He seems to have been given somewhat of a roaming role and will go where he needs to to collect the ball. Didn't have the same impact going forward as at Lincoln but looks a good signing. Don't like his play acting though.

Constable - He didn't really give the performance he could have done to give Dosh headache selections. The service wasn't brilliant to be honest but he worked hard. Still best coming off the bench for the time being I think.

Sam - I thought he had another average game and needs to work harder as he's not playing to the same committment levels as the rest of the team. Didn't click like he does with Butler so that can't have helped him but he still had his moments.

SUBS:

Wright - Changed the game for me. He got behind Capaldi and got 3/4 good crosses over which troubled their defence and set up the goal. Can't ask anymore, although plenty would prefer him to turn water into wine.

ASBO Ishy - Once again looked good when he came on. He was very lively and his pace game them a nightmare and gave us a bit of an outlet towards the end. Most pleasingly, for the second game running they kicked him all over the place but he didn't react. Well done Dosh and Ishy.

Dann - First touch, BANG, smash the net. Goal. Superb.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:45 am

sean511 wrote:Just been reading the Plymouth fans views. They don't seem too pleased :wink:

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... c&start=30

Thanks for the link sean.

Just read that and even the first page is making me mad with their quotes from Merson.

Holloway has a got a tough job on with Plymouth this season? Why Dickhead? Because we were matching them all over the park? Look at how a sober, professional manager can improve things.

What a prick. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season