Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Lincoln City (A) League - Saturday 19/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:57 pm

YESSSSSSS :D :D :D :D

the_game

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:02 pm

have it STILL UNBEATEN!!!!!!!! :lol:

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:05 pm

Don't you just love it when you get a last minue equaliser away from home, its just so sweet.
Last one i can remember was the spanish bloke at derby. That also finished 2-2

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:08 pm

Match report from the Fat Controller now on the front page:

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Awesome comeback, well done boys!!! Great to hear that the subs made a difference, how often did that happen last season?!?! :?

Good to hear Pead played well - do we know if he came on for a straight swap with Kinsella or if he went right back and Westwood went into midfield?

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Guts, character, depth - TACTICAL ALTERNATIVES! Its been a long time since we've seen it, but if anything convinces me we are going to have one hell of a season, its getting something out of this game.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:28 pm

fensaddler wrote:Guts, character, depth - TACTICAL ALTERNATIVES! Its been a long time since we've seen it, but if anything convinces me we are going to have one hell of a season, its getting something out of this game.

I'll go with that. C'MON YOU SADDLERS!!!

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:36 pm

toffo wrote:Don't you just love it when you get a last minue equaliser away from home, its just so sweet.
Last one i can remember was the spanish bloke at derby. That also finished 2-2

Yeah, Feels better than a win sometimes!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 pm

:lol: :lol: GET IN :lol: :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:21 pm

What a fantastic comeback!

I'm really beginning to believe in Richard Money!!!

Come on you Saddlers!!! :D :D :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:What a fantastic comeback!

Where's Zippy, Staffs Saddler & futuresobright now ? Oh, how I wish we'd listened to you lotand kept faith with Magic Merse :shock:

Anychance of admission of being wrong ?

Nah, thought not :roll:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:55 pm

What a difference half time makes!!!
First half was dreadfully disappointing. The only team who would score again would be Lincoln .As this was my first 45 minutes of the season I found it hard to believe the league table. We seemed lacking in confidence, shapeless and completely lacking in any sense of creativity or threat. Our weakness down the right flank was glaring. Westwood is not a fullback. In a way it is not his fault as he was playing out of position, but as he retreated he continually drifted inside towards the penalty box & his natural position. As I only see a minority of games I have always reserved judgement about Mark Wright ( especially as he has played quite well on a couple of occasions that I've seen him) but I dont think he can start again for the forseeable future.
The introduction of Fanguiero in his place & Pead ( I was expecting him to replace Westwood) and then Ishmel completely changed things. Each of them deserves praise. I thought Fanguiero showed great promise, tricky & capable of causing problems ( & also is an excellent diver- the belly flop he did deserved a 6.0!) & he also was able to link up the play well . This had been lacking in 1st half but with Pead's determination this improved dramatically. My thoughts when Ishmel came on were 'well at least he's got plenty of time to get sent off' but he was excellent, both in the very real threat that he posed down the left but also perhaps more importantly by keeping his cool. Shortly after he came on a Lincoln player slammed the ball into him whilst he was lying on the ground. I thought here we go but he did not react at all. I hope that this is a sign of things to come.
I thought Kris Taylor did pretty well as did mostly Roper & Gerard. Butler was a bustling presence in the 2nd half.I was a bit disappointed in Sam.
This was a game which we could easily have lost & would have done so last year, but we battled & didnt give up & thoroughly deserved to get back in it with Kris Taylor's goal & then that magical 93rd minute when Fanguiero bobbled the ball over the line. It is comebacks like that must give us all confidence that we are going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
Last edited by hullsaddler on Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:08 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:What a fantastic comeback!

And so you should, I can tell you.
In a few months this bloke has turned around a club that was in total decline.
I am no way suggesting he has done it yet, but my god, he is showing signs of doing it.
And have you also seen that the signings that have been made are making such an impact?

Oh, Dave Roe, you will be waiting a long time for an apology from those good for nothings.

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER, thanks to Dickie Dosh!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Just got back from Lincoln

Great to see us battle back from 2 goals down to get a great point.

Right as for the performance . thought Westwood,Gerrard and roper had poor games at the back. Today they could do even the simple thing right like pass the ball to a team mate . Not going to say anything about Westwood as for some reason I like him but he is no way a right back.

Midfield - We had no Midfield 1st half Keates and Kins where shocking the wingers Fox and Wright did nothing with the ball when they got it , and when they did they did jack cack with it

Butler and Sam never really caused the Imps defence any problems in the first half, but 2nd half both had good chances to get a goal

Bringing Pead,new bloke and Ishmel on in the 2nd half was what was needed by Dicky. Pead had a solid game in the centre of midfield and caused a few problems .New bloke has got no pace but given time should turn into another good Dicky Dosh signing , and for Ismel the bad boy last week but this week changed the game in our favour when he came on
he turned their right back in side out more than once and looked a real threat

Still a point at Lincoln is a good rescult , they will be up near the top at the end of the season

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Fantastic comeback.DD and the lads deserve praise indeed.However it shows our weeknesses.Without Dobson/picken and Pead from the starting 11 at Rochdale and suddenly we look very average.Dobson being the biggest loss.Our season really depends upon the fitness of key players.At least DD seems to recognise the areas that need strengthening which is refreshing for a manager of WFC.Please DD do not persist with Westwood though.It's not about finding a boo boy he's just crap.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Oh, Dave Roe, you will be waiting a long time for an apology from those good for nothings.

I'm still reeling from the realisation that me and you are agreeing on something :shock: :wink:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:12 pm

Well, from being despondent to absolute jubilation in the space of 50 or so minutes. Great scenes at the end, and my neice has broken her away losing streak, so many reasons to be cheerfull.

Loved having my name chanted as I left the bogs afterwards, so thanks to DarloSaddler and his entourage for that :D .

Still beaming, and now I need a beer.

Good to see some UTS'ers today too. :)

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:24 pm

A tale of 2 halves.

First half - awful, really couldn't beleive the difference. Poor passing, no wingers (that's wingers - not whigers - plenty of those!) and a lack of interplay upfront.

Second half - DD made the changes that were needed - I was shocked that Pead went into midfield, but he did brilliantly. Fenguwhatsisname looked very good, tricky, skillful and creative - he seemed to have a "fluid" position and popped up on both wings and in the centre - very promising, reminded me a bit of Peron (maybe too soon for such lofty comparisons!).

When DD brough on Ishy I thought the same as eveyone - how long before the cards start appearing! But He and the other 2 made the difference. We started creating chances, and were probably worthy of the draw despite our first half showing.

Sincil Bank is a bit different from the last time I was there (Cecere scored the goals that day!) not a bad ground despite the annoying drummer boy.

Always good to get a last minute eqauliser (or winner) - made the day. Good to see some fellow UTS'ers too. We had to walk 3 sides of the ground through some very disappointed Imps fans - it was difficult to keep the smile off the face and keep out of trouble, but we just about managed it!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:25 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Oh, Dave Roe, you will be waiting a long time for an apology from those good for nothings.

I'm still reeling from the realisation that me and you are agreeing on something :shock: :wink:

Nice avatar..... "what you talkin' 'bout Willis...."

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:42 pm

Glad you kept out of trouble Aldridge Steve, one large inbred Lincoln "fan" took a shoulder charge then a kick a my groin for no reason on the way out, fat bar steward missed though.
Lucky for him his mates held him back or I would have had him........ or maybe not. !
Joking aside the game doesn't need idiots like him, my young son just looked on in beweiderment.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Glad you kept out of trouble Aldridge Steve, one large inbred Lincoln "fan" took a shoulder charge then a kick a my groin for no reason on the way out, fat bar steward missed though.
Lucky for him his mates held him back or I would have had him........ or maybe not. !
Joking aside the game doesn't need idiots like him, my young son just looked on in beweiderment.

glad your OK - despite how upset they must have been - no excuse for that. Unfortunately I have also seen it happen at Bescot - it is a "society" problem, not just a football one.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Fangueiro showed Mark Wright how to play out wide properly and if he's not our first choice right winger now, I'll eat my hat. :lol:
As nobody has been slagged off for saying that Westwood is crap at right back, I'll say that Wright is crap as a right-sided midfielder and he doesn't have the excuse that it's not his natural position.
Fangueiro had a good touch, looked tricky, could beat a man on the outside or cutting insde and looked dangerous whenever he was on the ball. Like Wright, he doesn't defend, but he looks so good on the ball that we can live with that.

The middle of midfield was where we lost everything in the first half. Whilst nobody played that well, Kinsella and Keates were so pedestrain it was unreal - the Lincoln midfielders were just picking them off for fun. The sooner Dobson is back, the better.

Full credit to Dicky Dosh today - he certainly has something about him. The substitutions at half time and the introduction of 'Asbo Ishy' shortly afterards changed the game. I was surprised to see Pead slot into midfield, but he looked very good and was carrying the ball forward at every oppotunity - something nobody was doing in the first half (or last Saturday for that matter). As has already been mentioned, Ishmel had the ball wellied at him when he was on the gound after being fouled and he didn't even retaliate.

In the end, I thought we probably had as many chances as them and although they deserved something, with a bit more luck and better decision making (when Pead could have put Ishmel through for a one-on-one with the 'keeper) we could have snatched all three points.

They say picking up points when not playing very well is a sign of a good side......

Chaz13

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Wheres Picken gone??

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:48 pm

Chaz13 wrote:Wheres Picken gone??

He's got a minor injury. DD was going to play him in the reserves on Tuesday, but didn't want to risk him. He should be back next Saturday, if not Tuesday night.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:48 pm

I was impressed (in no particular order) with the following:

substitutions made very early in the piece
we kept going for 90 minutes plus stoppage time
Carlos, Ishy & Pead for changing the game

I wasn't impressed with our midfield early on, the way kept no posession and created no chances.

Nobody mentioned Incey Wincey Keeper, but according to commentary he reverted to flapping under pressure in the second half, and advanced way off his line. Any thoughts? Still, as we discussed in the chatroom, their keeper only had to make two saves all game and he fluffed both of them - League Two is the natural division of the not-very-good keeper, so if ours isn't all bad then there's some good in him!

Nice to hear the travelling faithful in the background too - "Wednesbury Road" is a bit out of place at Lincoln, though!

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm

Exile-- I was faithful and born on the Wednesbury road-- 1955-AC/DC

futuresobright

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Oh, Dave Roe, you will be waiting a long time for an apology from those good for nothings.

Still deluding yourselves with your own rewriting of history and avoidance of the facts. Ever patient I'll try again.
PM left us well clear of the relegation zone and looking forward to an easy end to the season dominated by fixtures at Bescot (or Fortress Bescot as it was known throughout the division).
He had recruited some excellent loan players in response to the forced sale of Fryatt.
Amazingly Bonser seemed to respond to the twisted rants of a handful of fans who had a banner and a website that allowed them to spew out their personal hatered of PM and threaten disorder at future home games.
Kevan was appointed. "At last", we read on UTS, "the club was back in safe hands." The self-righteous congratulations were tiresome or nauseous to an intelligent visitor to this site depending upon the reader's tolerance level.
Kevan won one game out of 14.
Our club were relegated.
And yes...you've guessed it...PM got the blame.
My invitations for apologies from the usual suspects were not taken up.

It's heartening that DD has got us off to another good start this season.
Let's hope that we can stick together this season and that he can get us back to where we were before Sheffield, David Roe, Geordie and the banner boys got Bonser to press the self-destruct button. Trouble is bullying can be addictive...perhaps Wright, Wrack and Westwood will get even more abuse now that the main target has gone.

[/quote]

Leonard

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Welcome back fsb. Just when I thought comedy was dead. :lol:

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:11 am

Isn't it nice to be a Saddler again!! :lol:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:16 am

dancingsaddler wrote:Isn't it nice to be a Saddler again!! :lol:

Wait until the end of the season when we finish mid-table :D