Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Lincoln City (A) League - Saturday 19/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 am

AC wrote:
dancingsaddler wrote:Isn't it nice to be a Saddler again!! :lol:

Wait until the end of the season when we finish mid-table :D

I don't care - I'm enjoying the euphoria while I can!! :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:12 am

Edit

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:16 am

futuresobright wrote:
Oh, Dave Roe, you will be waiting a long time for an apology from those good for nothings.

Still deluding yourselves with your own rewriting of history and avoidance of the facts. Ever patient I'll try again.
PM left us well clear of the relegation zone and looking forward to an easy end to the season dominated by fixtures at Bescot (or Fortress Bescot as it was known throughout the division).
He had recruited some excellent loan players in response to the forced sale of Fryatt.
Amazingly Bonser seemed to respond to the twisted rants of a handful of fans who had a banner and a website that allowed them to spew out their personal hatered of PM and threaten disorder at future home games.
Kevan was appointed. "At last", we read on UTS, "the club was back in safe hands." The self-righteous congratulations were tiresome or nauseous to an intelligent visitor to this site depending upon the reader's tolerance level.
Kevan won one game out of 14.
Our club were relegated.
And yes...you've guessed it...PM got the blame.
My invitations for apologies from the usual suspects were not taken up.

It's heartening that DD has got us off to another good start this season.
Let's hope that we can stick together this season and that he can get us back to where we were before Sheffield, David Roe, Geordie and the banner boys got Bonser to press the self-destruct button. Trouble is bullying can be addictive...perhaps Wright, Wrack and Westwood will get even more abuse now that the main target has gone.

Future so cack... Your a twerp

The Buck

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:14 am

We were truly awful in the first half.
Keates and Kinsella were ineffective in midfield, despite all the usual 110% effort that Deano puts in. Lincolns' first goal was the result of a run straight through the middle of the park.
The most worrying aspect for me was the right side.
Westwood frankly had a stinker. He is not suited to right back, I don't rate him much as a centre back and I feel he should be in the side only if cover is needed through injury or suspension.
That said, however, I was disgusted with some people booing him whenever he got possession. What must that sound like to a player, your own supporters booing you? I was surprised to see him second half, and in fairness, he improved somewhat, partly due to the removal of Wright, who was totally ineffective in linking with him on the right.
Mark Wright, in my opinion is in no way good enough to be in a starting line up for Walsall. He doesn't take responsibility, he bottles out of challenges, and generally allows the game to go on around him. I've been amazed at some of the posts recently defending him, and saying how well he is playing. I think he is the weakest link, and I hope to see him replaced immediately and permanently By Carlos Fangueiro who came on at half time and game a proper demonstration of wing play.
Money's other half time substitution had an even greater impact on the game. Craig Pead was superb. He started running at Lincoln, and their back four, which looked so solid when long balls were being played up to Butler and Sam, suddenly started to wobble.
You sensed it was only a matter of time until we scored, and Kris Taylor, who I thought had a good steady game duly obliged.
The introduction of The Demon for the fading Fox was the third of three excellent substitutions, they couldn't handle him on the left, and he got some good crosses in late on.
Absolutely amazing finish, with ball after ball going ino the Lincoln penalty area, and the new boy Fangueiro turning sweetly to finish, although I thought it would never cross the line!
Heart stopping stuff, but I thought we thoroughly deserved a share of the points.
Last edited by The Buck on Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

larryhaggler

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:44 am

I totally agree with all that The Buck, a very fair and honest view of the game. I must reiterate how poor Wright was, and before people start about making him a scapegoat he really was awful, so was Westwood who was crap, only defence is the fact he is playing out of postion, although personally I dont rate him much when he does play at centre half.
Fans were good today, even a 2-0 down under a Mersonesque first half we still 'got behind the team'.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:24 am

Fantastic come back, full marks to DD , For making the changes.
Fantastic team spirit . To be fair most of us would have settled for 1 point
before kick off, but to do it from 2 nil down , all i can say is...

WE'VE GOT OUR WALSALL BACK

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 am

WE'VE GOT OUR WALSALL BACK

Amen to that!!! :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:WE'VE GOT OUR WALSALL BACK

Amen to that!!! :D

Allelujah brothers

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:29 am

First half - really poor. Second half or at least last 30 minutes totally dominated. We did not seem to have any "legs" in midfield in the first half but Pead provided that in the second half. Somebody said earlier the importance of keeping the main players fit and I must say the best performance for me has been Stockport at home when Dobson was in midfield.

Excellent away support - perhaps bar the booing of Westwood (who was very poor). Tle last few minutes was bedlam and I lost Liam who was eventually located in time for the journey home. Well pleased with the point and second half performance. The least said about the first half the better!!

Red Adair

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 am

What was the number of Saddlers supporters at the Lincoln game? I could the total gate of 4500 but missed the number of away fans due to the noise around me. Was it 700-800?

DawleyDick

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:46 am

678 was the official figure. Seemed more than that to me. I thought the singing was great yesterday - some great lyrics! We really drowned out the Lincoln crowd. I was very pleased that we got a result with such a large following.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:52 am

I've seen the goals; have to ask questions about their keeper - and most of the the other keepers in this division, absolutely dreadful. :x

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:45 pm

Brilliant, a very enjoyable game of football.....again! Be sorry to see the back of this league in some ways it really is proper football!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Excellent summary, The Buck. I agree with every word. A really enjoyable afternoon, despite the pig of a journey across country!

Great performances from the three substitutes. Pead in particular surprised me with his running. A runner from midfield was sorely missing first half, which left us with little or no option but the hoof from centre half or full back, given the paucity of attacking play from the wingers (Fox is not an attacking winger, Wright is not a footballer).

With genuine wingers and a runner from midfield, we caused absolute havoc with their defenders. When Taylor scored, and after several more chances, the Walsall fans started singing 'We're gonna score in a minute', and we all genuinely believed it! I feared the game had got away when Pead shot high instead of passing to Ishmel, but there was still time for a dream debut goal: nasty little grubber through a crowd, and struck so badly the ball didn't even reach the net. But they all count! Fantastic. the reaction of the fans and the players at the end made it feel like a win. Lovely! :)

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:21 pm

At half time I was glad I didnt go, come full time I wished I had been there!! Isnt football a funny old game?

Well done to DD with his substitutions, I finally remembered yesterday subs are there to change games and not just to run around like headless chickens (ala Merscums era).

10 pts out of a possible 12, im happy.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Lincoln yesterday

Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Total of 9 hours driving for round trip to Lincoln and back to Treharris but totally worth it in end.

We were poor the first half and even first ten of second half. We couldn't get any rhythm and the round pegs in square holes were showing e.g Westwood and i thought Fox, who will never be a left midfielder as long as he has hole in his arse! But then the changes, well they changed it. Saw goals again this morning and although thought both should have been saved, these were the bits of luck we wereen't getting and you don't get when at bottom.

Left with the one point i thought we'd get, but feeling like we got all three. Elated to see a Walsall with passion, guile and fight again. Although not the best we've played so far, thought it showed a Graydon-esque "Never say die (unless on tv vs Albion)" attitude.

And the away following was immense-we kept singing to the end. I felt if there had been another 5 minutes, we would have got a third

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:10 pm

The Buck - You should post more often mate. That post was as accurate an analysis of the game as anyone is going to see. :wink:

Hasn't been much mention of the goals - Taylors goal really was superb. It was all his own work as he flicked the ball over a defenders had before carrying it into the box and firing home. Whilst the secong goal was very scrappy, it showed how much fight and determination the players now have. The ball eventually worked it's way into the net (well, that's not techically correct as it only just squirmed over the line) as a results of several players not allowing it to exit the penalty area.

Ishmel made news of the World's team of the week for league 2 by the way, despite only playing 33 minutes of the game. :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:13 pm

It was our worst performance yet, first half was dreadful especially Westwood, Wright( who should have been trying to impress with Fangueiro coming in this week) and Gerrard. As I've said before if Westwood isn't good enough to get in at centre half (and he should have a chance to replace the once again poor Gerrard in my opinion) then he shouldn't play at all.

Fair play to Dicky though, he made the changes and made them early that turned the game. And to all those that say Ishmel should be chucked out we saw today why he keeps getting chance after chance despite his bad attitude. Tremendous.

I was impressed with all subs in fact, Pead was excellent in midfield and Fangueiro gave us something different, he's going to be a good addition to replace Wright. Where that leaves Bedeau I don't know. As cover for when Sam doesn't perform like yesterday maybe?

We'd have taken a point at 3:00 but it felt like a win we had been that unimpressive for the majority.

TWO GLYNS!, THERE'S ONLY TWO GLYNS! :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I was impressed with all subs in fact, Pead was excellent in midfield and Fangueiro gave us something different, he's going to be a good addition to replace Wright. Where that leaves Bedeau I don't know. As cover for when Sam doesn't perform like yesterday maybe?

Don't forget Fangueiro can play right and left side, and "off" the striker and Bedeau can play "in t'hole" as well, giving loads of options.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I was impressed with all subs in fact, Pead was excellent in midfield and Fangueiro gave us something different, he's going to be a good addition to replace Wright. Where that leaves Bedeau I don't know. As cover for when Sam doesn't perform like yesterday maybe?

Don't forget Fangueiro can play right and left side, and "off" the striker and Bedeau can play "in t'hole" as well, giving loads of options.

True, to be honest though Ishmel has to be first choice left winger after yesterday but I can see DD using him from the bench until he proves he's learned his lesson.

PS - Staffs, Ince's performance yesterday had many clown like moments but we won't mention that will we? ;)

Official Hector Sam song now devised. To the tune of Robin Hood:

Hector Sam, Hector Sam
from the West Indies
Hector Sam, Hector Sam
Loves his rice and peas
Outed by the Vale!
Now he loves his ale
Hector Sam, Hector Sam, Hector Sam. :D
Last edited by Magic Man Fan on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Outed by the vale - ?

sj
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:56 pm

should be "outlawed"

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Pedro wrote:Outed by the vale - ?

Vale chucked him out in the Summer, he's not YGA!!! or owt.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Totally agree MMF --Ishy needs to start especially at home.I really cannot understand some people on this board.He's got fire in his belly which is exactly what we need.Fox in left midfield is crazy especially at home.

Harold Bishop

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:11 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Sam was chucked out by Vale ..... Ince was by Coventry

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Harold Bishop wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

:oops: Oh ar. Got my ethnics mixed up. All changed now.

What was the song we thought up for Ince? It'll come back to me.

Harold Bishop

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Harold Bishop wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Did you have to much to drink Mark, maybe you should pop in and see Dr Karl

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Harold Bishop wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Harold Bishop wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Did you have to much to drink Mark, maybe you should pop in and see Dr Karl

I think I will.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:What was the song we thought up for Ince? It'll come back to me.

Incey wincey keeper
Hide behind the wall
one step, two steps,
Oops, there goes a goal!

That was the preseason version.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:31 pm

A well-earned point away against one of the more serious opposition teams and only 119 posts on the match thread? Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season