Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League - Saturday 12/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:which is one of the reasons why we're one of only 3 sides in English football not to have conceded so far.

There's 20 in the Premiership that haven't conceded yet :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:47 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:which is one of the reasons why we're one of only 3 sides in English football not to have conceded so far.

There's 20 in the Premiership that haven't conceded yet :wink:

No-one likes a smart-arse! :wink:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Another excellent performance by the boys! :D

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Ishy is a wild child! He must have alot more to offer us! Most teams would have given him the boot by now! :shock: The anger managment he has doesnt seem to be working! :shock: I dont think he will get his head straight but lets hope DD will sort him out! He has some good qualities and is still very raw! :D Cmon Ish!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:20 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:We are top of the league and we havent got out of third gear yet. When we get a full squad I'd expect us to win a few games 3 or 4 nil, I dont like to say it but we are better than this league and I cant see no-one stopping us.

Why do people continue to slag Westwood? He was played out of position and did a decent job IMHO. I thought that he had to bail Gerrard out on a couple of occasions and only lost possession once. STOP MAKING HIM THE "BOO BOY" UNTIL WRACKY GETS BACK!! We are top of the league stop moaning for christ sake.
I guess Ince has proved the doubters wrong, quality save from the free kick come penalty and hasnt put a foot wrong yet. I thought Keatesy was the best player and on that performance Kinsella will be dropped for Dobson. Sam still fails to find the net but he makes up for that with the chances he creates for the rest of the team.
Fox and Taylor still needs a little work but today I thought they were better than the previous two games, their crossing seemed a little more consistent.

3 wins out of 3 and no goals conceeded. COME ON!!!

Cant go next week but fingers crossed we will be celebrating another 3 points.

UPTHESADDLERS.

Excellent post Kev, don't want to add much to that mate. Especially as the wife is shouting at me to get ready and take her out, see ya-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a ....................................

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:38 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:We are top of the league and we havent got out of third gear yet. When we get a full squad I'd expect us to win a few games 3 or 4 nil, I dont like to say it but we are better than this league and I cant see no-one stopping us.

Why do people continue to slag Westwood? He was played out of position and did a decent job IMHO. I thought that he had to bail Gerrard out on a couple of occasions and only lost possession once. STOP MAKING HIM THE "BOO BOY" UNTIL WRACKY GETS BACK!! We are top of the league stop moaning for christ sake.
I guess Ince has proved the doubters wrong, quality save from the free kick come penalty and hasnt put a foot wrong yet. I thought Keatesy was the best player and on that performance Kinsella will be dropped for Dobson. Sam still fails to find the net but he makes up for that with the chances he creates for the rest of the team.
Fox and Taylor still needs a little work but today I thought they were better than the previous two games, their crossing seemed a little more consistent.

UPTHESADDLERS.

Excellent post Kev, don't want to add much to that mate. Especially as the wife is shouting at me to get ready and take her out, see ya-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a ....................................

Good to hear from you Geoff aint spoke to you all summer. See you in the supporters club sometime this season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:46 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

UPTHESADDLERS.

Good to hear from you Geoff aint spoke to you all summer. See you in the supporters club sometime this season.

Hopefully Kev. Right now I'm using those "500 Club" freebee drinks vouchers in the Bonser Suite, but soon I hope to be able to get to a match in time to grab a drink in the Saddlers Club before racing over to use my freebee voucher.

See you soon then, I hope. :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:40 am

Under par performance compared with Stockport , but a clean sheet, 3 points is all you can ask for. Some games teams just have to roll up thier sleeves and battle we did that , and did it well .
We missed Dobson but Keates played well and scored 2 cracking goals.
Martin Butler was outstanding , movement , work rate , every thing about his game .Constable looked sharpe we he came on big improvememt.
Ishy , what can i say , the lad has lost it get rid.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:02 am

The Penalty was a massive turning point in the game, it was never a penalty, i had a perfect veiw of it, it was at least 2 foot outside the area. Had they scored, would have been interesting to see how we reacted.

I have concerns, but really it is difficult to come on here , and start complaining,as we have won 3 in a row, without conceeding a goal, unheard of since the Graydon Days. So i shall leave it for now, and enjoy the positives.

Our Forward Pairing is superb, Sam and Butler, just cause problems all game long, if Sam could just add a goal threat to his game, we could have a real gem.

Bigger tests to come, but it's lovely to wake on a Sunday morning with another 3 points, and top of the league.

UP THE SADDLERS

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am

I thought Hartlepool were quite a test and also thought the movement of their front two caused us big problems especilly in the first half. Gerrard was not at his best but Ropes was excellent again more so in the second half when Pool started throwing balls in the air and Ropes won nearly every header.

The performance was not as good as Tuesday and I dont think anybody would have had a bet on Deano scoring twice. Maybe Geordie is correct in that we have the capabilities in the team of scoring at least once even if we do not, at the moment, appear very creative. I would like Dobbo back for next week.

One final point - I thought the fun day went well. Liam really enjoyed it even if it was a long day for his dad, watching the coaching at 11.00am. We even took a his friend along who hadn't been to a match before. We might have found another Saddler for the future!!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:41 am

A seven out of ten performance.
Gerrard's concentration let him down on numerous occassions and he was lucky not to be punished.
Midfield pair for all their bustling could not replicate the physical presence of dobson. I reckon that's why we played westwood, they are a big side and aside from our centre backs and perhaps Butler we'd have been well short at set pieces. Keates - two great goals but disappeared second half.
Ince, Roper & butler - superb
Keates was spot on in his post match interview when he said we'd fallen short of our recent standard in this game but we still won and still kept a clean sheet. Money had let them know he wasn't over impressed with the performance and there was a lot of work to do on the training ground this week.
As somebody else has said, there's loads more to come from this side and so long as the players keep their feet on the ground and don't get carried away by our early status, then this could be a great season.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:04 am

Its very important we don't get carried away, but we still have Bedeau, Dobson , Picken plus another new signing to come in the side.
Lincoln wll be a big test for i feel a result there will set up our season.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:07 am

Match report:

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

I notice that someone said that they couldn't understand my criticism of Constable. If so, you are misreading it. I was complaining about those who said he should be given a chance ahead of Sam. Sorry, but that's nonsense. Different sort of player completely and a misjudgement of what Sam brings to the party, as yesterday proved yet again.

McNugget

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match report:

I notice that someone said that they couldn't understand my criticism of Constable. If so, you are misreading it. I was complaining about those who said he should be given a chance ahead of Sam. Sorry, but that's nonsense. Different sort of player completely and a misjudgement of what Sam brings to the party, as yesterday proved yet again.

i think when Sam goes off, you realise what he adds to the team and what Constable lacks. Still Constable is an excellent prospect

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 pm

McNugget wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match report:

i think when Sam goes off, you realise what he adds to the team and what Constable lacks. Still Constable is an excellent prospect

No doubt Sam should start, he makes so much happen up front, he holds on to the ball well, and when he loses it, he's like a terrier trying to get it back. Yesterday I compared his work-rate (not his style) to Jorge.

Constable is totally different, but his ability certainly seems to have come on a lot since DD took over, and he's well worth his place on the bench, and the opportunity to show us what he can do.

The fact is that, yesterday, Constable came on and gave the Hartlepool defence something different to think about and to cope with, and I think it's a good thing that we can mix it up and change it around like that. He did well when he came on and came close to a goal a couple of times.

Both of them just need to get that one goal and I think we could then see a few more going in from them.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:02 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:No doubt Sam should start, he makes so much happen up front, he holds on to the ball well, and when he loses it, he's like a terrier trying to get it back. Yesterday I compared his work-rate (not his style) to Jorge.

Personally, I don't think he does try hard enough to win the ball back. He doesn't get through anywhere near as work as Butler does. I really would hate to be a defender playing against Martin Butler - all the little nudges, shirt pulling and barges he does to oppostion defenders make their jobs hell. That's one of the reasons why I think so many people hated him when he was playing against us, but love him now he's ours again.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:03 pm

A pleasing performance yesterday not least because we did all the things we didn't do last season.

Kept our shape and organisation despite not playing well, taking chances and keeping them out at the other end. That's what you do to win games and promotion, whatever happens in between is irrelevant.

A great save of the pen by Ince and his command of his box was superb. I was highly critical before of his positional play and his penchant for racing out of his box. I can only assume after his dodgy moments in pre-season that he was been told not to do this because there has been no sign of it which makes him a far better keeper for it. I never doubted his shot stopping abillity though and he proved why today again.

I was very disappointed that Money dropped Pead for Westwood. There was no need for it. Like we've said before there is no need to make changes unless enforced and Pead was solid the other night. Westwood is an average centre half. If he's not good enough to get into our team in that position then it does not warrant getting him into the team by playing out of position just because he is good on the ball and is a good pro.

Midfield missed Dobson badly but as I thought and predicted Keates filled in admirably. His two strikes were awesom, especially the second one which was technically very difficult.

Sam and Butler's partnership continues to flourish and I thought Constable was excellent when he came on. Oh, and Neil, you have slated Constable since he arrived saying he was distinctly non league and it hasn't been just confined to the Butler and Sam/Constable starting line up. ;)

Ishmel. I have defended him lots in the past but he is becoming indefesible. I thought he would react to the guiding hand of Money but he's not prepared to listen. I still think it's his age and he will improve but we can't afford to keep giving him chances. Stick him in the reserves until he learns his lesson. He's been allowed one error under Money, I don't think he'll be at the club after another. Shame, because he is certainly talented.

Bring on Lincoln who have started well but I still think we will get a result with 7 days rest after a hectic but excellent first week.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Saturday had a very Graydon stylie performance feel about it.

You can't outplay every team every week. To win promotion you have to win games when you are not at your best, and we will probably play worse this season, and still win, and of course, play much better and lose.

Think the real tests will be going a goal down, and losing a game, see how it goes when the crowd start grumbling a bit.

Special Mention to the ref, the worst i have seen since the first game of the season at Rotherham, when Graydon was manager, when we won 3-2.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:19 pm

3 more points, top of the league, and only 107 posts on the match thread. Some people only come on here to have a moan :wink:

Leonard

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:22 pm

Grump! The seats are hard! :evil:

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm sorry but 9 points out of three games just isn't good enough

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 am

Perhaps it's my age and failing eyesight, but I thought it was a penalty :shock:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:05 am

My erstwhile namesake is hoist by his own petard.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 am

Well. first game of the season for me :

Very impressed. They won the game without looking like they were seriously threatened. Keates did a good backup job in midfield, Sam's running and passing is better than I suspected. Butler, what a different player he looks! ,and his workrate was excellent. Wright had a good game in my opinion, and I was very impressed with Clayton. ( he's a big bugger though).

The effort was in the side, something I haven't seen in ages. The crowd were in good spirits, really my only complaint was the lack of Balti pies in the lower Floors2go.

Good to see a manager in a sports kit instead of bank manager attire.

I may have recruited a new Saddler too, my mate from huddersfield came down. He was suitably impressed and said he fancies treking down to a few more this season.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 am

TimWilkes wrote:Perhaps it's my age and failing eyesight, but I thought it was a penalty :shock:

Tim - if it's any consolation, I am equally sure it was a penalty! Of course, without the benefit of TV replays, etc., it is not possible to be 100% certain but I never cease to be amazed at the dogmatic certainty displayed by some message posters on here when it comes to borderline refereeing decisions. Invariably, none of these experts has ever trained as a referee or refereed a match, even less understand the Laws of the Game.

Most of these somewhat understandably biased "experts" argued that the foul (and it clearly WAS a foul - even the Walsall players agreed with that) occurred outside the penalty area. It was a close call but, in my honest opinion, the initial contact between Gerrard and Williams was just inside the area. Anyone who dogmatically asserts that "it was a good two feet outside the area" needs to visit Specsavers! :D (or perhaps make a judgement from a better seat in the ground, unlike the ASBO2GO stand) Gerrard's studmarks may well have been outside the penalty-area but that means nothing. It merely shows where Gerrard landed! Remember that he took off and lunged at the Hartlepool player and made contact with him INSIDE the penalty area, before his momentum carried him beyond the area boundary. Remember also that width of the penalty-area boundary line (5") is included within the area. Gerrard certainly finished up, on his backside, outside the area but, as I said above, that is irrelevant. Let me tell you, if that incident had happened at the other end , you would all have been screaming for a penalty-kick!

I find the overall criticism of the referee very puzzling. Leaving aside the contentious penalty, just what was bad about his performance? I thought he had a decent game. There were some decisions that I disagreed with but that is always the case where decisions are down to the referee's opinion. He kept up with play well, including the penalty decision - he was but a few yards away and had NO need to consult the assistant referee. If any of the experts on this board would like to extend their knowledge and train as a referee, there is a course starting on Tuesday September 12th at Wyrley Rangers F.C. (Please PM me if you are interested). I throw down the gauntlet - would anybody like to take up the challenge? In the TEXT999OAP stand, there is a gentleman who makes a complete and utter idiot of himself, every home game, with his abuse of the referee. He sits to the right of Cyclothymic and in front of North Staffs Saddler and myself. As the old saying goes:- "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt!"

In a final word on the penalty, supporters should be addressing their concern towards four of our players who were collectively at fault - Kinsella for giving the ball away, Wright for being way out of position again, Westwood for being unable to decide whether to press Humphreys or back off into defence (and end up doing neither) and Gerrard for making a totally unnecessary wild lunging tackle instead of staying on his feet and delaying Williams.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 am

Just seen the highlights and the penalty is, as we thought a total shocker. The only contact Gerrard makes is about 3 feet outside the area. Even when gerrard has finished sliding, and gets up, he's still outside the area. How on earth can a penalty be given when the offender isn't, and never was, inside the area?

Utterly terrible refereeing.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:50 am

philthesaddler wrote:Just seen the highlights and the penalty is, as we thought a total shocker. The only contact Gerrard makes is about 3 feet outside the area. Even when gerrard has finished sliding, and gets up, he's still outside the area. How on earth can a penalty be given when the offender isn't, and never was, inside the area?

The ref was dreadful the whole game. From rhe F2G stand it looked a good 3 yards outside the area. no way a pen.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:58 am

Don't need a replay for the pen, it was a yard outside the area. The referee was crap, again!

Good performance, very comfortable.

I know this might upset some people but I actually wouldn't play Gerrard at centre back. His judgment at times is terrible and he cannot pass a ball to save his life, Gerrard is making Roper look like Ronaldinho. The thought of Gerrard in midfield gives me nightmares. Picken along side Roper would be a good pairing, as would, dare I say it, Westwood, with Picken dropping in to left back.

Ince is going to be a bit of a cult hero the way he is going, he's quite a character!

Also, I agree entirely with Bristol. We need someone inventive to partner Dobson who undoubtedly be 1st choice centre midfield, keates did a job (this is his level) but he's not good enough to create from the midfield. This must be a priority for DD.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 am

Leamore, shows you have referees instinct with your opinion it was just inside the area ;) Its absolutely miles out, just watched it on saddlers world, and its a total shocker of a decision!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:Just seen the highlights and the penalty is, as we thought a total shocker. The only contact Gerrard makes is about 3 feet outside the area. Even when gerrard has finished sliding, and gets up, he's still outside the area. How on earth can a penalty be given when the offender isn't, and never was, inside the area?

Yep. Even the commentators from Sky said 'justice was done' when Ince made the save. Nowhere near the penalty area. :evil:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season