Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League - Saturday 12/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Most of these somewhat understandably biased "experts" argued that the foul (and it clearly WAS a foul - even the Walsall players agreed with that) occurred outside the penalty area. It was a close call but, in my honest opinion, the initial contact between Gerrard and Williams was just inside the area. Anyone who dogmatically asserts that "it was a good two feet outside the area" needs to visit Specsavers! :D (or perhaps make a judgement from a better seat in the ground, unlike the ASBO2GO stand) Gerrard's studmarks may well have been outside the penalty-area but that means nothing. It merely shows where Gerrard landed! Remember that he took off and lunged at the Hartlepool player and made contact with him INSIDE the penalty area, before his momentum carried him beyond the area boundary. Remember also that width of the penalty-area boundary line (5") is included within the area. Gerrard certainly finished up, on his backside, outside the area but, as I said above, that is irrelevant. Let me tell you, if that incident had happened at the other end , you would all have been screaming for a penalty-kick!

Sitting directly level with the penalty spot in Block K of the Fellows Stand, old man Rainer commented that "it was clearly a yard outside of the box, and momentum took the player over in to the box". He did also call Gerrard an idiot for jumping in to the challenge, but he said there was no question at all that is was a free-kick, NOT a penalty.

Still, I suppose it evens up the wierd indirect free kick from last week at Rochdale.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Still, I suppose it evens up the wierd indirect free kick from last week at Rochdale.

But there was nothing wierd about it Jorge. As someone posted after the game, the rules state that the punishment for a high foot is an indirect free kick. The ref, to his credit, got it spot on.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:06 pm

The ref was shocking gave us nothin, Most refs in this league are going to be the same!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:Most of these somewhat understandably biased "experts" argued that the foul (and it clearly WAS a foul - even the Walsall players agreed with that) occurred outside the penalty area. It was a close call but, in my honest opinion, the initial contact between Gerrard and Williams was just inside the area. Anyone who dogmatically asserts that "it was a good two feet outside the area" needs to visit Specsavers! :D (or perhaps make a judgement from a better seat in the ground, unlike the ASBO2GO stand) Gerrard's studmarks may well have been outside the penalty-area but that means nothing. It merely shows where Gerrard landed! Remember that he took off and lunged at the Hartlepool player and made contact with him INSIDE the penalty area, before his momentum carried him beyond the area boundary. Remember also that width of the penalty-area boundary line (5") is included within the area. Gerrard certainly finished up, on his backside, outside the area but, as I said above, that is irrelevant. Let me tell you, if that incident had happened at the other end , you would all have been screaming for a penalty-kick!

Sitting directly level with the penalty spot in Block K of the Fellows Stand, old man Rainer commented that "it was clearly a yard outside of the box, and momentum took the player over in to the box". He did also call Gerrard an idiot for jumping in to the challenge, but he said there was no question at all that is was a free-kick, NOT a penalty.

Still, I suppose it evens up the wierd indirect free kick from last week at Rochdale.

It aint weird though, it was high foot wasnt it, which is an indirect freekick isnt it??

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:24 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

It aint weird though, it was high foot wasnt it, which is an indirect freekick isnt it??

Yeah, that's what I just said. :roll: :wink:

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:The ref was shocking gave us nothin, Most refs in this league are going to be the same!

He didn't send Ishy off when he should have - that's something he did give us.

He made some bad decisions but wasn't it good to see a game without pointless yellow cards? Some refs would have booked Ropes at the start, but instead he just had a word with him. He left the players to get on with it, and as a result the game was played in a good spirit, until the appearance of you know who.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:The ref was shocking gave us nothin, Most refs in this league are going to be the same!

He didn't send Ishy off when he should have - that's something he did give us.

He made some bad decisions but wasn't it good to see a game without pointless yellow cards? Some refs would have booked Ropes at the start, but instead he just had a word with him. He left the players to get on with it, and as a result the game was played in a good spirit, until the appearance of you know who.

I said that at the time - there was the heavy (but legal) challenge on Kinsella, but, apart from that, Demontagnac's was the first really nasty challenge in the whole game.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season