Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport (H) League - Tuesday 08/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:50 am

Oh, and "the penalty", I don't think it was as clear cut as people suggest.

It could have been given but only 50/50 for me, I thought it was shoulder to shoulder.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 am

My manager as threatened to sack me. i just can't stop singing.

we've got our walsall back
we've got our walsall back

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Oh, and "the penalty", I don't think it was as clear cut as people suggest.

It could have been given but only 50/50 for me, I thought it was shoulder to shoulder.

Looked like he sythed him down from where I was sitting, but ill wait for the replay. Perhaps your extra 5ft elevation meant you saw it clearer!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:26 am

F**king Hell !
Can't wait for Saturday now, I can't remember the last time I anticipated a game with this confidence. As well as the new signings, its becoming clear that Money has had a positive effect on the existing players. Its like having more new signings.

With Bedeau and Wrack still to return to the side, we'll see the side having more creative options avaliable. Even though the current lot are doing fine.

A good start......so far.

What was the attendance last night gents ?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:34 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Oh, and "the penalty", I don't think it was as clear cut as people suggest.

I don't very often disagree with MMF , but i do on this .
It looked a clear pen to me .

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:36 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:

I don't very often disagree with MMF , but i do on this .
It looked a clear pen to me .

Maybe, I'd like to see it again.

Either way it was one of the few occasions where Butler hesitated if he'd shot earlier which he should have done he'd have scored before he was touched.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:46 am

to be honest mark, i thought he hacked him down. but then again im only in the lower asbo

anyway about the game, i thought it was f*****g class

everyone did well including wrighty and fox. when wrighty ran their defenders scat themselves all over the place. and as for fox, why criticise the lad when hes not a proper left winger, ok its not rivelinho stuff but they didnt get much luck down that flank and thats what taylor and fox are there for... protection.

now lets get behind the lads satdy!!!

GOOOOAAAAARRNNNNN THE MIGHTY REDS

Will
UTS Regular

Wrighty

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:27 am

Can see why Wright does get stick - he lost possession a few times last night and he can be frustrating as there's times when he doesn't get the final cross in. Having said that he ran himself ragged last night and was a real handful for Stockport. Nice few deft touches that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't - if he played the way he does, didn't lose possession and got the cross in he wouldn't be playing for us though would he - he'd be L1 or championship. He's still fairly young is learning and could go a long way - if he's not booed too much.
Interesting comments about Dobson - also reminded me of Martyn O'Connor and is the type of player every team needs - not afraid to get stuck in, ball winning midfielder and works his socks off.
The overall thing that struck me about last night though was that it was difficult to pick a MOM because it was a real team performance and each player seemed to play well and fit together well. Even when we were under the cosh a bit we stuck together and held firm - good times ahead I hope.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 am

MMf - even the Stockpot commentators thought it should have been a penalty! Should have been more obvious in the ASBO2GO, and probably equally visible in the TXT999OAP stand (if they could see, that is).

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:52 am

Exile wrote:

MMf - even the Stockpot commentators thought it should have been a penalty! Should have been more obvious in the ASBO2GO, and probably equally visible in the TXT999OAP stand (if they could see, that is).

I think they get a live link over there just incase they drop their monocles :shock:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:02 am

Just saying what I saw. In our group of about 8 only half thought it was a pen and we had a good view.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:09 am

cheesebag wrote:
Exile wrote:

I think they get a live link over there just incase they drop their monocles :shock:

To be honest we did not see the penalty incident because Leamore was handing out the Werthers Originals at the time :wink: :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:20 am

cyclothymic wrote:
cheesebag wrote:
Exile wrote:

To be honest we did not see the penalty incident because Leamore was handing out the Werthers Originals at the time :wink: :D

:lol: Not interviewing people for their date of birth and inside leg measurments? :P

That's inside leg, not middle leg. :D

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:22 pm

http://www.stockport.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=26641

Apparently we drew 2-2 last night, can anyone shed any light on this?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:27 pm

CocaCola_Saddlers wrote:http://www.stockport.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=26641

Yes.

The bloke who manages that site is a plank.

merse-iah's disciple

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:31 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
CocaCola_Saddlers wrote:http://www.stockport.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=26641

Yes.

Informative as ever! Cheers MMF :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:36 pm

merse-iah's disciple wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yes.

Informative as ever! Cheers MMF :lol:

Always happy to help. :D

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 pm

what a

PLONKER

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:40 pm

Well Im glad I decided to go last night. I loaned £14 to watch our first home win of 2006 and I pulled a Stockport fan, not bad for a Tuesday night! 8)

I wont get carried away because I was telling a few people around me last night we gave the ball away at times and in League 1 we would have been punished, I suppose you can only beat whats in front of you but we can do better!

I thought Ropes, Dobson, Butler and Wrighty were all outstanding last night, its a shame Dobbie is out for 2-3 weeks but it now gives Keatesy a chance to shine. Sam is still the worry for me, OK he showed flashes of briliance again but his lack of pace and positioning is quite worrying.

2 out of 2 and finally we get to watch an organised Walsall side at home! :shock:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:45 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:I wont get carried away because I was telling a few people around me last night we gave the ball away at times and in League 1 we would have been punished, I suppose you can only beat whats in front of you but we can do better!

I agree but that's the pleasing thing. 2 wins, 2 clean sheets and we're not in top gear yet.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:WFC Rob - Your criticism and hatred towards Mark Wright is becoming tedious. We've heard it all before, if you can't give credit when it is due then don't bother saying anything at all because we know your feelings on him. He played a part in the goal at Rochdale and was very lively and confident tonight beating his man several times and creating chances. I'm not his biggest fan but your criticism is out of order.

Doesn't appear to be much 'hatred' in this post MMF, which is really the substantive one Rob writes.

WFC_Rob wrote:I've seen enough of him to realise that he is an average league 2 player at best having attended at least 30 matches last year.
How about you find me some stats which prove that his inclusion in the side benefits the team?
Doesn't tackle, doesn't mark his man, gives the ball away so cheaply it's criminal Ocassionally he runs with the ball and beats his man, but there's rarely an end product. He looks better now than he did last year because we are now playing in the fourth tier of English league football.

I have to say that, even with an improvement last night, I can see where Rob is coming from. He will bottle the challenge, and (worse in my book) he will hide from the ball. His running with the ball is better than ever, but his decision-making still leaves a lot to be desired from a player with bags of games under his belt, at levels higher than this one.

However, I came on here to say how much I enjoyed the team's performance last night and how encouraging the style and solidity to our play was. The back four (including Kris Taylor) look great, and Butler (providing he stays fit) will be the cause of many a nightmare for opposing defenders. I'd love Sam to get a goal now.

Played two, won two, two clean sheets. Can't be bad! :)

Edo

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I think it was a penalty, a clear shove.

BUT we won so who cares! cant wait till saturday up the reds!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:20 pm

First thing to say is, Stockport are no where near as bad as i expected, we played worse teams than them last season.

I thought it was a superb performance, without us really ever having to get out of second gear.

Ince is starting to win me round, very little to do all night, but made a tidy save when he was called on.

Roper was what Roper is all about, nothing like the player we saw last season, back to his very best.

I though Gerrard struggled, although their striker was a tidy player, don't know his name, but he looked useful.

K. Taylor has learned to tackle, and looks good going forward.

Fox is never a winger in a month of sundays, but didn't do alot all the same, and links up well down that left side with Taylor.

Mark Wright, played as well as i have ever seen him, still needs an end product.

Dobson was immense, what a signing he is turning out to be.

Kinsella, i thought he was excellent, i really did, in the first half especially, broke up a number of dangerous attacks, just by being in the right place, played it simple when he had the ball

The front two, have as good a partnership as i have seen at walsall since Lightbourne and Wilson, Sam can still improve some, but he really does cause problems, Constable is no bad player to have coming off the bench is he.

Butler, superb, runs the channels, holds the ball up, and most of all when he gets his chance, he puts it away.

Just a quick mention bout the move when Butler slid in on the near post and almost scored, been some time since we have been treated to football of that calibre, long may it continue.

Up The Saddlers

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Agree with all that BS. There was another move in the first half which I thought was equally good, where the ball was pinged across from the right to left hand-side, inch perfect, and then sent in at pace for Butler to volley powerfully. It was straight at the keeper, but that, the move to which you refer, and that rather clever free kick which ended up with us hitting the bar all showed a sense of organisation not seen in these parts for a while. :)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Yes, it wasn't the only move of quality, it was just one that stood out.

Happy Dayz :D

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:55 pm

I've found it hard to say much bad as thought we played so well. Thought could have brought on Ish to stretch them on the left like Wright was doing down the right.

But all in all, well happy-couldn't make Rochdale so to see first league win at Bescot of 2006 was sweet

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:07 pm

First home win of the season, and only 175 posts on the match thread.

People only come on here to have a moan :roll:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Exile wrote:First home win of the season, and only 175 posts on the match thread.

175 isn't that bad

Stop moaning :wink:

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 am

[quote="hullsaddler"]Commentator 'Every time Mark Wright has the ball you wonder what's going to happen'.

No we didn't, we knew that he was going to lose it

OK Cyclo

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:39 am

Exile wrote:First home win of the season, and only 175 posts on the match thread.

If Zippy hadn't spit the dummy we'd be up to 200 by now. He only posted to moan about people moaning. Now Nobody's moaning he's got nowt to moan about.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season