Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League - Saturday 05/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:fox is never a winger but i dont think DD expects him to be, his hope is that taylor can bomb on and fox leaves competent cover behind him

That's exactly how I see it. Given the choice, I'd play Fox at left back, but we just don't have a left sided midfielder suitable for consistent first-team action at this level.
Some argue that Ishmel offers us more going forward (which he does). The problem with playing him is that if Taylor pushes forward, there's no way Ishmel will cover him. In time, I'm sure this side of his game will improve and he'll be an asset to us, but until then, the Fox-Taylor partnership should do absolutely fine.

On the subject of partnerships, I was impressed to see the players warming up with the player they were to be playing alongside (Gerrard warms up with Picken, Dobson with Kinsella etc). Whilst it does seem like common sense, it's just a little something which could well help our organisation and understanding during the matches.

i said to my brother on the walk back from willenhall, we looked focused, organised fit and strong. all the things we didnt under fatty merson

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Actually Rob, you're right about Fox in left midfield, we don't always have to have a winger in that position. In terms of who else can play there as a 'consistent left sided player' if fox was at left back, what about Wrack when he is fit and back. Yes, Bedeau and Ishy are more of the attack minded winger type down that side, but Wrack is more of a midlfielder now so could maybe play in front of Fox in a more solid looking left hand side like today, also allowing Kris Taylor to play in centre mid if needed.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Actually Rob, you're right about Fox in left midfield, we don't always have to have a winger in that position. In terms of who else can play there as a 'consistent left sided player' if fox was at left back, what about Wrack when he is fit and back. Yes, Bedeau and Ishy are more of the attack minded winger type down that side, but Wrack is more of a midlfielder now so could maybe play in front of Fox in a more solid looking left hand side like today, also allowing Kris Taylor to play in centre mid if needed.

Yes, I think that would be an effective option to take up if Wrack is going to be able to play in that position. My worry is that Wrack may not have the legs to do the 'up and down' wide role any more and may be more suited to a central position. We'll just have to wait and see though.
I do think Fox is a left back, but don't think we will suffer too much if he plays in midfield. There will be many sides at this level who will use similar tactics, especially away from home.

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:31 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm
Last edited by Timothy_Claypole on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:34 pm

Leonard

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Last edited by Leonard on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Just what we needed 3points , clean sheet and good solid performance .

Looks like we have found a real gem in Picken, can't wait till Tuesday.

Timothy_Claypole

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:48 pm

i thought DOBSON was superb today and my man of the match

Did anyone else smell muck or was it just me?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:49 pm

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:41 pm

I left the ground after clapping the boys off -- and 20 mins later on my way back to the car I could still hear the Walsall fans singing.

They deserved it after 2 years of sh8te.

Butler is a Saddler, Butler is a Saddler :D

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Those are my fingers :shock:

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Above see?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:45 pm

Timothy_Claypole wrote:i thought DOBSON was superb today and my man of the match

Did anyone else smell muck or was it just me?

you shouldnt wear your pants on your head

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:46 pm

It was my first view of the team this season, so here are my thoughts:

Butler, Gerrard and Dobson were excellent.
Picken Little was promising, though he needs to realise that it's sometimes acceptable to hoof the ball away.
Kinsella was frustrating - too many unforced errors for a player of his alleged quality. He only needs to start pointing and he would pass for an early Simon Osborn.
Hector Sam is about a stone overweight.
Foxy was largely anonymous in that position. I accept that you don't always need a 'winger', but in those cases, you need more thrust from the central midfielders.
I don't like everyone coming back for corners & free kicks. I'd much rather leave someone on the halfway line - Wright perhaps?
Ince looked competent.
We looked a bit ponderous going forward - we had to run through the defence rather than past it. Perhaps Bedeau will improve this on his return.

All in all, a promising first run out. We looked a class or two better than Rochdale, but then 'Dale won't be the best that League Two will send against us.

north yorkshire Saddler

Good away win

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:34 pm

Now we have hit the ground running, I dont see any team we should fear this season, cum on you Saddlers :D

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:47 pm

I'm over the moon with this result. Just need to have more of them over the season. The club seem very confident as well.

the_game

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:52 pm

King Crimson wrote:0 - 1 F/T

:D

6/10 for observation

on those pictures taken i have two comments
1) nicely taken
2) where the hell were the rochdale supporters lol :lol:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:13 pm

Superb Day! Picken what a quality calm player! Dobson superb. Butler brilliant. The whole team done well today. Roll on tuesday. Bring on more quality away days like today!
Just wanna say..Well done to all you felow saddlers too..Great atmopshere today.
UTS

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:Saw Phil taking pics

Got loads of pics, and videos, which will be online when I get to my thingmebob that lets me transfer from phone to computer on monday morning.

Quality pics too mate! You even got me having a p!ss on the hard shoulder on the motorway! :lol: The one with us lot with Oli's flag will be a good un!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:09 am

Only 170-odd posts after our first decent away win of the season. People only come on here to have a moan when we lose. :roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:19 am

Dobson is QUALITY. The new Martin O'Conner in my opinion. Gets stuck in, wins everything and finds a Walsall player everytime he passes the ball.
MOM by a country mile.
Followed by Martin Butler, who ran himself ragged today.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:16 am

I shouldn't be posting this time of night, cus I'm a tad worse for wear, but sod it!

Really enjoyed today lads!!! ...... my ratings....

Ince - never put a foot wrong, despite my fears, he was solid.

Pead - again, solid... could be more comfy in posssession, but overall OK.

Gerrard - Some crunching tackles... will be a big part player this season on this form.

Picken - Could be a great find, got better as the game went on, given time to settle, could become Captain material

Taylor - saw lots of the ball, could'v done better at times, but solid overall.

Wright - I don't like to see players bottle out of challenges, but he did today when he had a 50/50 with their keeper... mad up for it as the game went on though.... as other players were tyring, his fitness and pace shone.

Dobson - What a great find this bloke could be... reminded me a lot of MO'C... I like him, I like him a lot!!!

Kinsella - Very influential... ran the show at times, a very solid display.

Fox - Could offer more with his crossing, but a very committed player and tough in the tackle.

Sam - ran his socks off, very skillfull.. but goes to ground to easy... Keep to your feet son, you'll reap the rewards!

Butler - What can you say.. when he wasn't making runs for himself, he was doing it to make space for others... He worked tirelessly alongside Sam & his forward play was so intelligent, we have'nt seen this kind of forward play since the departure of Goodman.

A quick mention of the Walsall Faithfull... what an atmosphere! ... Superb lads, keep it up.

I sat two rows back from Metfan and the Cheese Clan.. was going to say Hello, but shyness got the better of me!

Maybe next time! :D :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:40 am

sj wrote:Those are my fingers :shock:
well sj...going by the 4 i can see...and for all i know you may have carpenters thumbs...but you have very nice fingers...well kept clean nails...you must be so proud of them...congratulations.... :D :D :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:46 am

Chuffed to bits with the win yesterday, just what we all wanted. However, a couple of points of caution:

Firstly, this is our 4th successive opening day win. Of the previous 3, we were relegated twice.
Secondly, although our next two opponents, Stockport and Hartlepool, were beaten at home they were both unlucky. Stockport had something like 16 efforts on target, and the monkey hangers dominated from start to finish and missed TWO penalties in their match with the pre season favourites Swindon.

UTS

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:50 am

BathSaddler wrote:Chuffed to bits with the win yesterday, just what we all wanted. However, a couple of points of caution:

Firstly, this is our 4th successive opening day win. Of the previous 3, we were relegated twice.
Secondly, although our next two opponents, Stockport and Hartlepool, were beaten at home they were both unlucky. Stockport had something like 16 efforts on target, and the monkey hangers dominated from start to finish and missed TWO penalties in their match with the pre season favourites Swindon.

UTS
wonder if Denis Wise will turn out to be another Paul Merson...?

Simon of Sedgley

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 am

Simon of Sedgley wrote:Team?

Ince

Pead Gerrard Picken Taylor

Wright Kinsella Dobson Fox

Butler Sam

Subs
Ishy
Constable
Keates

Result - Rochdale 0:1 Walsall (Butler)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 am

sid swifty wrote:Wonder if Dennis Wise will turn out to be another Paul Merson...?

Oh, I do hope so, Sid, I do hope so! :twisted:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season