Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League - Saturday 05/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:31 pm

0 - 1 F/T

:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Great start, now the team can start to gel and get confidence. This is the only result of Money's charge that I've cared about so far, and he's got it right. Well done lads!

Happy Saddler :D

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:35 pm

Full match report on the Rochdale web site.

http://www.rochdaleafc.premiumtv.co.uk/

Walt Flanagan's Dog

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Three points & a clean sheet away from home. What more can you ask for?

Clearly none of us are going to get carried away, but after going through the mill that was the last two years, I'm sure I'll be excused for enjoying a nice glass of malt in front of the telly tonight!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Enniskillen wrote:Full match report on the Rochdale web site.

You have to register, any chance of a cut and paste job?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:45 pm

good start...pleased with clean sheet...pleased with the way buttler and sams pertnership seems to be shaping up...just one downer...mark wright seems to have had a good game...

just kidding...i dont mind wright or anyone else if they are a usefull member of the squad...keep it up saddlers...long way to go... :wink:

CSFC

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:08 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Enniskillen wrote:Full match report on the Rochdale web site.

You have to register, any chance of a cut and paste job?

Rochdale failed to regis

With just four minutes on the clock Dale were the first to register a shot after John Doolan volleyed goalwards, unfortunately for the scouser his effort rose over the crossbar.

It was a fairly even contest with no side making any real in-roads in the attacking department. The best chances fell to the home side and a little more composure from Christie after good work on the left by Rundle and Lambert could have broken the deadlock.

With 23 minutes played Walsall's first chance came only nobody read a great ball into the box by skipper Michael Dobson. Like buses their second chance came along almost straight away only this time it needed the finger tips of the Dale 'keeper to push a wayward cross over the bar.

The visitors were enjoying their best spell and on the half hour Nathan Stanton came to the rescue with a fantastic block. Allan Picken must have thought he'd opened his 2006/07 account as he spun inside the box and shot. Sadly for him he hadn't seen Stanton putting his body on the line blocking the effort almost as soon as the ball left his foot.

Adam Rundle enjoyed a fine run from the halfway line and with the Walsall defence in retreat he chanced his arm with a shot that was a little too comfortable for the keeper.

Two mistakes from Jon Boardman could have led to Walsall taking the lead as we went into the final third of the half. The Rochdale defender allowed Saddler frontman Sam to steal in after slipping as he turned to clear. Fortunately Sam's pass across the area was cleared.

Three minutes later Boardman facing his own goal tried to find his 'keeper Matt Gilks without looking and Sam was only just beaten to the ball by a very alert Rochdale 'keeper.

The second half began with two chances and one goal inside the first three minutes, sadly for Dale the missed effort belonged to them.

It came from a Rickie Lambert freekick some 25-yards out that curled just wide of the target when it looked as though it may have just sneaked inside the post.

Two minutes later Walsall took the lead after weak defending allowed Hector Sam to thread the ball through to Butler to tuck the ball into the corner from seven-yards.

Dale responded well and on 51 minutes Walsall 'keeper Clayton Ince scrambled across his goal to palm away another Rickie Lambert freekick. The Dale striker was left wondering just how the ball stayed out of the goal moments later after he squeezed into space inside the area.

Christie did well to find Lambert with a lovely ball through the Walsall rearguard and Lambert's shot deflected up off a defender and just past the far post.

The visitors weren't without chances and on 58 minutes the lively Wright cut inside Goodall to curl a left footed shot just wide from 18-yards.

From that point in the game fell into sterile mode with neither side creating much in the way of chances. Not even the introduction of Chris Dagnall and Clive Moyo-Modise for Iyseden Christie and Adam Rundle could inject anymore into the game from a Rochdale point of view and they start the 2006/07 campaign with defeat.

CSFC

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:09 pm

CSFC wrote:Rochdale failed to regis

Dunno who Regis is though :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Put this on another post, but thought I'd share it here again:

A good solid performance, MOM for me was Butler, ran his socks off all game. Picken looks solid and likes to use the ball, although he did get caught once or twice and was puffing a bit towards the end. He also did a classic centre half take out for his booking.
Clayton Wince played well today, grabbed what he went for and made one or two good saves. The team looked very solid and Dobson and Kinsella played well together, even if the main tactic was play balls down the channels a lotof the time from both of them.

Awesome support today. Not sure how many, must have been pushing 1000 and very vocal all game - the players and DD came over at the end to give a big round of applause - deserved by all.

One interesting thing I saw was the players really seemed chuffed at the end and had a real team spirit about them, going around congratulating each other, I haven't seen it like that for a couple of years at least - hopefully a great sign!

Roll on Tuesday night

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:20 pm

CSFC wrote:
CSFC wrote:Rochdale failed to regis

Dunno who Regis is though :wink:

Cheers for that CSFC :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Noticed a few comments about Mark Wright. He did have an okay game, more involved than usual and could of scored. He chased a bit more and worked hard to help Pead in defence, covering and doubling up when needed. BUT he was in and out of the game. He stuffed a simple pass out of play and he bottled a heading challenge with the keeper out of the box during the second half (although he did win other headers). He did get a few good balls in but still doesn't look like he really wants to run at players down the wing and try and get past the full back, something he needs to work on more.

Some may think I've been a bit harsh on him this afternoon after an excellent first win, Ibut 'm just passing on some observations.

Hopefully he will keep up the effort and improve further, with Bedeau in competition it might just help him.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:
bez wrote:A 1-0 opening day victory, i predict a solid defensive performance, with a Martin Butler goal to win it.

That'll do. My prediction also.

900 saddlers there to watch.

Well done Guys.

Can you let me have the winning lottery numbers for tonight please?

Also, while you're on a winning streak, will Mrs Horozontal's "headache" have disappeared to enable me to celebrate later tonight when the little ones are asleep? :wink:

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Just got back---- The boys were huge today, bloody huge. They bossed all the first half, Rochdale never had a shiff.

Picken is a blo0dy huge Aussy that can play football. Butler never stopped all afternoon and for long spells in the first half Rochdale just couldn't get the ball.

It really was that good .There is a Spirit about this team that will put the willies up most other teams.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:17 pm

sj wrote:Just got back---- The boys were huge today, bloody huge. They bossed all the first half, Rochdale never had a shiff.

Picken is a blo0dy huge Aussy that can play football. Butler never stopped all afternoon and for long spells in the first half Rochdale just couldn't get the ball.

It really was that good .There is a Spirit about this team that will put the willies up most other teams.

YGA.... :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Some may think I've been a bit harsh on him this afternoon after an excellent first win, Ibut 'm just passing on some observations.

Quite the opposite actually Johnny. Whilst I didn't think Mark Wright was really bad, he was by far the weak link in the team, summed up in the last minute when instead of giving the ball to Butler to hold in the corner, he dwelled on it and allowed them to break easily. We always look suspect when defending down that side because Wright simply never picks up his man - he runs around looking like he's doing something when actually he's not.

Gerrard was absolutely immense today and nothing looked like getting past him. Picken is a great defender to watch because he wins loads in the air, is solid in the challenge and always looks to pass the ball rather than 'hoofing' it. That could be his downfall eventually though as there were times when he was robbed whilst looking for a pass rather than clearing the ball.

Butler is simply the striker we've been lacking for years. Holds the ball up a treat and always looks a threat in and around the box.

Not a bad word to say about the teams' performance today - we looked solid throughout and I was surprised at how well Taylor and Fox worked together. The only thing Fox lacks as a midfielder is a willingness to beat his man.

I hadn't seen a performance as professional as that for years.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:42 pm

Great support from Walsall fans (1500? according to Mr Policeman who I spoke to).

Team performance IMHO;

First half we looked good without many chances until the last few minutes. Picken, Dobson, Butler and Sam all did well, Wright was Wright - I have seen him have worse games. The team actually looked like they had a plan! They all knew what they were supposed to be doing, when and where! An unlikely concept in recent times. We had a couple of good chances towards the end of the first half with Butler in particular unlucky not to score in top RHC late on.

Second half, again we did well, once Butler had scored we did seem to sit back a bit too much, and Rochdale had the better possession for about 20 minutes or so. Having said that the defence looked solid throughout, there were only a couple of heart stopping moments, and even Ince only had one flap that I noticed - where he didn't come off his line when he should - probably a result of doing the opposite too many times recently.

MOM - Martin Butler. He was a class act today. Other notable performances included Dobson who was solid and his distribution was great. Kinsella was a calming influence, and Picken was brilliant with his positional play and ran Butler close for MOM despite one lapse in concentration which might have cost us dearly in the first half. Sam put in a mountain of effort, but fell too easily for my liking which meant he didn't get some decisions from the ref that he might otherwise have.

Overall - a good away day, my first in a while. I now miss the next 2 homes games and am even more gutted than I was before. I fully expect 9 points on my return.

*** Also, nice to see The Family Cheese, Pinkman Metfan, Evo, Ucow, Leamore, Philthesaddler (even though he ignored me), Gary Ellison, Percie (boozed up!), Jorge14 (who survived his first glass of beer the night before, Pedro and PG Tips and others I have probably forgotten. Looking forward to the next awayday!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:46 pm

did anyone take any pics for that new away day thingy they are doing in the programme...?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Saw Phil taking pics

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:03 pm

Boys did great

We controlled the game from start to finish and we looked interested for once. Player knew where they should be playing

Have to say , i liked the look of Picken and Gerrard at the back. Both of them never lost anything in the air all day . Midfield looked tidy Kins and Dobson again controlled the game from start to finish hardly given away a pass

As for butler well , waste of space :wink: . Sam after a poor first half came on to have a good second half , been a hand full for the rochdale for defence

MOTM Martin Butler - Looked 2 division above most players on the pitch. Always running alway available for the ball. If butler does not get 20 plus this season , i'll be shocked

Also Allan Picken - Great to see a defender not affraid to run with the ball. As i've said before great in the air , great on the deck and can also pass a ball to

Only 45 more games to go :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Pedro wrote:Boys did great

We controlled the game from start to finish and we looked interested for once. Player knew where they should be playing

Have to say , i liked the look of Picken and Gerrard at the back. Both of them never lost anything in the air all day . Midfield looked tidy Kins and Dobson again controlled the game from start to finish hardly given away a pass

As for butler well , waste of space :wink: . Sam after a poor first half came on to have a good second half , been a hand full for the rochdale for defence

MOTM Martin Butler - Looked 2 division above most players on the pitch. Always running alway available for the ball. If butler does not get 20 plus this season , i'll be shocked

Also Allan Picken - Great to see a defender not affraid to run with the ball. As i've said before great in the air , great on the deck and can also pass a ball to

Only 45 more games to go :D

Are we not playing in the cups this season? :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:11 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Some may think I've been a bit harsh on him this afternoon after an excellent first win, Ibut 'm just passing on some observations.

Quite the opposite actually Johnny. Whilst I didn't think Mark Wright was really bad, he was by far the weak link in the team, summed up in the last minute when instead of giving the ball to Butler to hold in the corner, he dwelled on it and allowed them to break easily. We always look suspect when defending down that side because Wright simply never picks up his man - he runs around looking like he's doing something when actually he's not.

Not a bad word to say about the teams' performance today - we looked solid throughout and I was surprised at how well Taylor and Fox worked together. The only thing Fox lacks as a midfielder is a willingness to beat his man.

Disagree with all of that Rob. Fox was by far the worst player, he is certainly not a midfield player and his passing and positional play was poor, I counted four crosses today that were completely wasted and he was bypassed on numerous times by the opposition. Mark Wright was always involved in the action today and perhaps it is understandable that fans get frustrated by some of his actions[or lack of them] due to his constant involvement in the game. I'm not trying to make excuses for him but most of the morons around me seemed to delight in slagging him off when players like Fox and Pead escaped critisism despite thier obvious failings. There is always a scapegoat in the team and it appears that Wright is it regardless of how he plays. I was impressed by Picken throughout the game but he was caught out on a few occasions when a British standard Roper clearance would have done the job. We played reasonably well today having the majority of the possession and I felt that Rochdale posed few threats. Butler and Picken were my pick for man of the match for both their hard work and commitment to the team.

Roll on Tuesday!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:46 pm

I agree Cully and was about to talk about Fox. I agree that Wright wasn't dreadful today as we saw so much last season but he just didn't really have a go at his full back down the wing and always halts the ball before cutting inside it seems - something he needs to work on if he is to be a 'winger'.
WFC_Rob was right about Wright losing the ball when he could have given it to other people such as Butler too, I saw DD having a few words with him on quite a few occasions.

But Fox showed he isn't a left midfielder as you point out. He didn't attack his full back either and we only looked dangerous down that side when Taylor tried to overlap him during the second half. I can't remember him getting many balls into the box either, but I could be wrong.

Now, I don't want to sund like I thought today was bad, it was one of the most pleasing Walsall performances I have seen in a long time and have real hope in this team and manager, but I do think that the wide positions are where we are potentially underachieving within the team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Cully wrote:I'm not trying to make excuses for him but most of the morons around me seemed to delight in slagging him off when players like Fox and Pead escaped critisism despite thier obvious failings.

Their failings are obviously so obvious that you've failed to point any of them out. :wink:
Who plays in front of Pead, offering him no defensive support whatsoever? Enough said.
Fox is in the side to hold the shape and play the ball simple, which he does adequately enough. When are people going to realise that a wide midfielder doesn't have to be a winger who skins the opposition fullback time and time again?
Next time you see us play, count the number of times Wright makes an 'unforced error' as it were, and gives the ball away in comparison to the other players in the side.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:49 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:I agree Cully and was about to talk about Fox. I agree that Wright wasn't dreadful today as we saw so much last season but he just didn't really have a go at his full back down the wing and always halts the ball before cutting inside it seems - something he needs to work on if he is to be a 'winger'.
WFC_Rob was right about Wright losing the ball when he could have given it to other people such as Butler too, I saw DD having a few words with him on quite a few occasions.

But Fox showed he isn't a left midfielder as you point out. He didn't attack his full back either and we only looked dangerous down that side when Taylor tried to overlap him during the second half. I can't remember him getting many balls into the box either, but I could be wrong.

Now, I don't want to sund like I thought today was bad, it was one of the most pleasing Walsall performances I have seen in a long time and have real hope in this team and manager, but I do think that the wide positions are where we are potentially underachieving within the team.

i dont think wright was as awful as people have said today but i do think he had a poor game compared to the others, i think he has a problem and it usually hits him around the 18 yard box whether to cut inside or attack the byline. personally id like to see him attack the byline and see what he can do there, fox is never a winger but i dont think DD expects him to be, his hope is that taylor can bomb on and fox leaves competent cover behind him

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Great day, topped off by a great victory.

We thoroughly deserved the win. Thought Dobson, Picked, Gerrard and Butler were the pick of the bunch, but they all played really well.

Highlight of the day has to be Ad Ellison mooning a coach load of welsh oaps at 11am on the m6 at 70mph! :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:53 pm

aldridge steve wrote:Saw Phil taking pics

Got loads of pics, and videos, which will be online when I get to my thingmebob that lets me transfer from phone to computer on monday morning.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:57 pm

aldridge steve wrote:*** Also, nice to see The Family Cheese, Pinkman Metfan, Evo, Ucow, Leamore, Philthesaddler (even though he ignored me), Gary Ellison, Percie (boozed up!), Jorge14 (who survived his first glass of beer the night before, Pedro and PG Tips and others I have probably forgotten. Looking forward to the next awayday!

:shock: Deepest apologies that I ignored you. I use the excuse it's my birthday and I was hammered thanks to Locks and Percie inserting Vodka in to my Pints. :D

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:58 pm

It was a good solid performance, but at the risk of sounding like an old scrooge (again), let's not get carried away - Rochdale were atrocious and Ince had to make a couple of smart saves. I'm staggered by the comments about Picken (man of the match!?), who looked composed on the ball sometimes, for sure, but his positional play was embarrassing, he frequently went for balls which Gerrard or Taylor already had covered, leaving a big hole, he missed a couple of tackles and gave the ball away a few times too many. There were lots of positive signs, but I think it will take a few weeks or months before he's really ready for the hustle and bustle of league two.

Two other negatives to get out of the way before the positives, which were - (i) Fox, who was simply never in the game on the left of midfield, and I honestly can't begin to imagine why he's playing there (presumably he won't when Bedeau is fit?) and (ii) Kinsella and Dobson together in midfield - they both played well really, but the problem of having them playing together is that you are then totally relying on the wingers to create things, and when Wright is having a slight off day (though he still did some good things) and you have someone who may as well have stayed at home, on the other wing, you're in a bit of trouble. For our complete and utter domination of the game, we didn't actually create all that much I didn't think.

The big positive was Butler - what a joy to see a performance like that from one of our strikers. Won everything in the air (I can't begin to imagine our last striker who was actually good in the air - Goodman!?), chased lost causes, got some snapshots away to trouble the keeper, and scored a goal. A class apart from everyone else on the pitch - can't believe he's playing in League Two.

Gerrard was immense at the back, Ince did not confirm my worst fears about him (he came when he should have done, he stayed when he should have done, he comfortably saved the few shots which went his way, including a brilliant save from a free kick) and Kinsella and Dobson individually both played very well (though Kinsella is painfully slow).

I think we'll have a decent season if we play like that throughout it, but for an even better season, we need to solve the problem down the left hand side (Taylor isn't a full back and Fox isn't a winger) and probably find a bit of creativity in the middle (the obvious solution for me would have been in the second half to try out Taylor in the middle, move Fox to left back and put Ishmel on the left wing, but I completely understand why Money didn't want to risk that since we only had a one goal cushion).

Despite my nit-picking, it was still a very solid display, the players looked fit and as if they knew what they were doing (it was probably Christmas 2003 the last time that happened) and an absolute joy to witness my first Walsall win in seven months.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:It was a good solid performance, but at the risk of sounding like an old scrooge (again), let's not get carried away - Rochdale were atrocious and Ince had to make a couple of smart saves. I'm staggered by the comments about Picken (man of the match!?), who looked composed on the ball sometimes, for sure, but his positional play was embarrassing, he frequently went for balls which Gerrard or Taylor already had covered, leaving a big hole, he missed a couple of tackles and gave the ball away a few times too many. There were lots of positive signs, but I think it will take a few weeks or months before he's really ready for the hustle and bustle of league two.

Two other negatives to get out of the way before the positives, which were - (i) Fox, who was simply never in the game on the left of midfield, and I honestly can't begin to imagine why he's playing there (presumably he won't when Bedeau is fit?) and (ii) Kinsella and Dobson together in midfield - they both played well really, but the problem of having them playing together is that you are then totally relying on the wingers to create things, and when Wright is having a slight off day (though he still did some good things) and you have someone who may as well have stayed at home, on the other wing, you're in a bit of trouble. For our complete and utter domination of the game, we didn't actually create all that much I didn't think.

The big positive was Butler - what a joy to see a performance like that from one of our strikers. Won everything in the air (I can't begin to imagine our last striker who was actually good in the air - Goodman!?), chased lost causes, got some snapshots away to trouble the keeper, and scored a goal. A class apart from everyone else on the pitch - can't believe he's playing in League Two.

Gerrard was immense at the back, Ince did not confirm my worst fears about him (he came when he should have done, he stayed when he should have done, he comfortably saved the few shots which went his way, including a brilliant save from a free kick) and Kinsella and Dobson individually both played very well (though Kinsella is painfully slow).

I think we'll have a decent season if we play like that throughout it, but for an even better season, we need to solve the problem down the left hand side (Taylor isn't a full back and Fox isn't a winger) and probably find a bit of creativity in the middle (the obvious solution for me would have been in the second half to try out Taylor in the middle, move Fox to left back and put Ishmel on the left wing, but I completely understand why Money didn't want to risk that since we only had a one goal cushion).

Despite my nit-picking, it was still a very solid display, the players looked fit and as if they knew what they were doing (it was probably Christmas 2003 the last time that happened) and an absolute joy to witness my first Walsall win in seven months.

i can agree with that, i forgot about bedeau to come in, i think ive said it in another post i expect us to be a bit more adventurous going wide at home games

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:fox is never a winger but i dont think DD expects him to be, his hope is that taylor can bomb on and fox leaves competent cover behind him

That's exactly how I see it. Given the choice, I'd play Fox at left back, but we just don't have a left sided midfielder suitable for consistent first-team action at this level.
Some argue that Ishmel offers us more going forward (which he does). The problem with playing him is that if Taylor pushes forward, there's no way Ishmel will cover him. In time, I'm sure this side of his game will improve and he'll be an asset to us, but until then, the Fox-Taylor partnership should do absolutely fine.

On the subject of partnerships, I was impressed to see the players warming up with the player they were to be playing alongside (Gerrard warms up with Picken, Dobson with Kinsella etc). Whilst it does seem like common sense, it's just a little something which could well help our organisation and understanding during the matches.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season