Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League - Saturday 05/08/2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:57 am

The Dingo wrote:Not working in Australia either! Saddlersworld directors should be arrested for obtaining monies under false pretences.

You'd have still got a better idea of what was going on than we did listening to WM.their "coverage" was a disgrace.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 am

Fantastic result and more importantly performance yeasterday.Only decided to go at the last minute and very glad I did!This kind of team spirit and togetherness has not been seen for at least 3 seasons. Maybe things are looking up.It was only on the way back that we realised that this was the first time we had seen us win since the new years eve game with Blackpool as we didn't make it to Tranmere or Gillingham!
Does anybody know how many were thee yesterday.It was fantastic support.We guessed at about 1200.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:38 am

We were arrogant, we strutted around the place - we know that we are THE team in League Two this season. And that was just the fans.

Picken walked it, did he sprint once? Pead was solid, and Taylor and Fox linked up like they've been playing those roles all their lives. Gerrard didn't put a foot wrong. Clayton Ince made one cracking save...and that's all he had to do.

Kinsella didn't break sweat. All he has to do this season is stand in that centre circle, because he's got Dobson to do the donkey work. A proper captain from what I've seen in pre-season and yesterday. Doesn't shirk tackles, and again, head and shoulders above what he faced yesterday.
Wright had one of his better games - again the final ball is so often shocking, but unlike in League One and the Championship, he WILL keep getting chances against his marker because he has pace and because he is an out and out winger.

Sam had a poor first half and oftentimes did too much when he should have passed or shot. Second Half though he ran Rochdale ragged, the experience showed and Rochdale's lack of ability showed. Butler is a Championship player, and as Money has said this morning in the papers "he worked them (the defence) like never before". Chest out, elbows out - a proper striker who surely we can count on for at least 20 goals.

It would have been so easy yesterday to fail to meet expectations because we were expected to win. But I don't think anyone thought we would do it at such a pace. Everyone around me agreed that if we play like this 70% of the time then we WILL go up. The challenge is, unlike last season, to keep the good start going. However, unlike last season, it wasn't a scrappy opening day win, it was a win that should set the marker for the rest of the season. It is so easy to get carried away, but it was the perfect start for Money.

For once, I agreed with Sheff about something yesterday. If you have forgotten Sheff, I was the lad who started off the "Paul Merson, What a barclays" chant in the first half, which you joined in with quite vociferously. The glare you shot at the few knobs at the back who started it off reminded me of the "Bring Back Colin Lee" glare! :lol: :wink:

Also, Nikki and Carl...tell Ella that she shouldn't be hugging drunken men in towns like Rochdale! I'll let her off, because obviously me (and later, Gaz Ellison) are obvious exceptions to this rule. Metfan wins the best observation of the day award..."Are you still pissed or hung over?" :roll:

Apologies to SaddlerScott too...I had the last food in the stand at Half Time, and it is entirely possible that he is still drooling at the outrageous amounts of bacon that I had...all for £1.50. I love League Two...regardless of the social clubs with Meat Pies, awful pints of lager and 14 year old bar maids.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:56 am

Exile wrote:Only 170-odd posts after our first decent away win of the season. People only come on here to have a moan when we lose. :roll:

Not quite true. Many of those 170-odd were before our first decent away win of the season :wink:

Thought we were great yesterday - passionate, confident, had the determination to win, showed our class without taking league two too lightly. And that was just the fans.

Agree with a lot of what was said before - Dobson/Picken grew into the game and their physical presence made a difference. Butler was outstanding up front and the Goodman comparisons are fair and accurate. My MOM was Ant Gerrard who was back to his best and didn't miss a tackle all match. On that form he is our first choice centre back. There are still some areas for improvement - we didn't get as much going down the flanks as i'd hoped although for me the Fox/Taylor partnership was more worrying than the Wright/Pead one. I'm not certain about the central two either, it worked better in the second half but Kinsella's lack of pace is a concern if Dobbo isn't getting box to box. But this is nitpicking. It was a proper away performance like those seen under Nicholl at this level or Graydon in the division above. Let's hope it's just the start of what's to come and not a false dawn.

saddler13

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:02 pm

That was absolute class! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game that much. All of the lads can be proud of that performance and the fans were quality. Not to sure why some still feel it necessary to sing M****n's name however.

Is it right that coca cola are trying to see who have the loudest fans? I believe that they were measuring Rochdales' yesterday. I'm sure the only noise they picked up was from the saddlers faithful!

DICKY DOSH'S BARMY ARMY!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:58 pm

Timothy_Claypole wrote:Image

I'll be quite troubled if you don't have Rochdale on your back for posting this.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:49 pm

the_game wrote:
King Crimson wrote:0 - 1 F/T

:D

6/10 for observation

And for your observation of irony, 1/10

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:08 pm

Jorge14 wrote:We were arrogant, we strutted around the place - we know that we are THE team in League Two this season. And that was just the fans.

Picken walked it, did he sprint once? Pead was solid, and Taylor and Fox linked up like they've been playing those roles all their lives. Gerrard didn't put a foot wrong. Clayton Ince made one cracking save...and that's all he had to do.

Kinsella didn't break sweat. All he has to do this season is stand in that centre circle, because he's got Dobson to do the donkey work. A proper captain from what I've seen in pre-season and yesterday. Doesn't shirk tackles, and again, head and shoulders above what he faced yesterday.
Wright had one of his better games - again the final ball is so often shocking, but unlike in League One and the Championship, he WILL keep getting chances against his marker because he has pace and because he is an out and out winger.

Sam had a poor first half and oftentimes did too much when he should have passed or shot. Second Half though he ran Rochdale ragged, the experience showed and Rochdale's lack of ability showed. Butler is a Championship player, and as Money has said this morning in the papers "he worked them (the defence) like never before". Chest out, elbows out - a proper striker who surely we can count on for at least 20 goals.

It would have been so easy yesterday to fail to meet expectations because we were expected to win. But I don't think anyone thought we would do it at such a pace. Everyone around me agreed that if we play like this 70% of the time then we WILL go up. The challenge is, unlike last season, to keep the good start going. However, unlike last season, it wasn't a scrappy opening day win, it was a win that should set the marker for the rest of the season. It is so easy to get carried away, but it was the perfect start for Money.

For once, I agreed with Sheff about something yesterday. If you have forgotten Sheff, I was the lad who started off the "Paul Merson, What a barclays" chant in the first half, which you joined in with quite vociferously. The glare you shot at the few knobs at the back who started it off reminded me of the "Bring Back Colin Lee" glare! :lol: :wink:

Also, Nikki and Carl...tell Ella that she shouldn't be hugging drunken men in towns like Rochdale! I'll let her off, because obviously me (and later, Gaz Ellison) are obvious exceptions to this rule. Metfan wins the best observation of the day award..."Are you still pissed or hung over?" :roll:

Apologies to SaddlerScott too...I had the last food in the stand at Half Time, and it is entirely possible that he is still drooling at the outrageous amounts of bacon that I had...all for £1.50. I love League Two...regardless of the social clubs with Meat Pies, awful pints of lager and 14 year old bar maids.

Yeah..Me and matty_saddler went to get something to eat 5 minutes before half time and there was no food left at all :cry:
Fancied one of them bacon butties for £1.50!
I thought the lager was alright, we was in the pub which was right next to the away end about 20-30 yards away!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:22 pm

We'll if we have had to drop down two divisions to enjoy football once more and get the fans and club re-united again then I can wait until we get back to the championship. Yesterday seemed so much different to the past two seasons. We had optimism amongst the fans, the players looked like a team and the pubs were invaded by Walsall fans.

Onto the game, If we manage to take just half the chances we make we will score at least 6 goals in one game this season.

Ince- Made two good saves and even had time to entertain the fans.
Pead- Got caught out twice but otherwise was quite comfortable.
Gerrard & Picken- Were outstanding, both seem to pass rather than hoof. Could be a problem but we will have to wait.
Taylor- Made one outstanding tackle in the second half which I believe Fox would have conceeded a penalty. Seemed very inconsistent with his crossing.
Wright- Still a wimp, backed out of too many challenges. His crossing seemed a little more consistent and he kept beating his man quite easily.
Dobson- My MOTM, didnt misplace one pass and was always willing to make a last dith challenge. I am worried though his leg was heavily strapped up when he got off the team coach.
Kinsella- Was superb again. He gave away a few passes but made up with his determination.
Fox- Not a winger but gave the full-back alot more cover than Ishy would of done.
Sam- Disappointed with his performance. Seemed to try a little too hard and was always diving around. When he gets back to full fitness then we can criticise him if he still performs like he did yesterday.
Butler- We have missed a striker like him for years. Held up play brilliantly and his positioning was out of this world. 25 goals from Mr Butler this season.

Bring on Stockport.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm

i said to my brother on the walk back from willenhall, we looked focused, organised fit and strong. all the things we didnt under fatty merson

What? You mean that you and Ad looked focused, organised, fit and strong?? :? :?

:lol:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:10 pm

AC wrote:
Timothy_Claypole wrote:[img]no%20image[/img]

I'll be quite troubled if you don't have Rochdale on your back for posting this.

The difference is, AC, this user has almost complete anonymity so would prove hard to trace

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:35 pm

Utterly superb day, so enjoyable. And whoever was singing "there's only one Geordiesaddler" cheers, you nearly made an old(ish) man cry!
God bless ya!

Whoever was singing "Paul Merson's Barmy Army" please just go and watch the masters and leave the proper football to the rest of us.

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:52 pm

Crackin' day out. Brillaint atmosphere. Quality match. More of the same please!

Roll on Tuesday! :D

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:05 pm

excellent day , quality match brilliant atmoshphere and 3 points roll on the rest of the season

UTS

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:06 pm

sj wrote:I left the ground after clapping the boys off -- and 20 mins later on my way back to the car I could still hear the Walsall fans singing.

They deserved it after 2 years of sh8te.

Butler is a Saddler, Butler is a Saddler :D

i dont know how long we was in the ground for after the final whistle, all the rochdale fans had gone and the players had gone off, we were signing all the way to the minibus and on the mini bus

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:08 pm

saddler13 wrote:That was absolute class! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game that much. All of the lads can be proud of that performance and the fans were quality. Not to sure why some still feel it necessary to sing M****n's name however.

Is it right that coca cola are trying to see who have the loudest fans? I believe that they were measuring Rochdales' yesterday. I'm sure the only noise they picked up was from the saddlers faithful!

plantey made up a song to sing that took the P1$$ out of merson on the way to the game on the mini bus and we were singing it at the match and some D1(c)*£d$ thought they would sing merson songs i dont see the point in it.

after the noise we made today we are already one of the strongest contenders already to win :lol:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:07 pm

matty_walsall4eva wrote:
saddler13 wrote:That was absolute class! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game that much. All of the lads can be proud of that performance and the fans were quality. Not to sure why some still feel it necessary to sing M****n's name however.

plantey made up a song to sing that took the P1$$ out of merson on the way to the game on the mini bus and we were singing it at the match and some D1(c)*£d$ thought they would sing merson songs i dont see the point in it.

after the noise we made today we are already one of the strongest contenders already to win :lol:

' Merson is an alcoholic..Likes hes crack and f!cked up hes marridge! Merson we all hate you..Up the saddlers in league two! La La La Smackhead! La La La Smackhead! Shall we beat your wife for you!

To the tune of Amirillo

:D

Timothy_Claypole

Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eexRmiXajb8

the church pub beer garden right by the ground - twas packed!!!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Willy-Nilly wrote:
i said to my brother on the walk back from willenhall, we looked focused, organised fit and strong. all the things we didnt under fatty merson

What? You mean that you and Ad looked focused, organised, fit and strong?? :? :?

:lol:

yes, that walk is a tough one and we needed all our preseason training to do it

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:20 pm

It sounds like my concerns from pre-season have continued.

Kinsella doesn't complement Dobson's skills.

Fox isn't suited to playing left midfield (whether he can beat people like a winger or not.

Sam will cause lots of headaches for defences at any level but will miss chances.

Ince made good saves but I haven't seen any comments about his overall game. Did he go AWOL very often?

However our many plus points sound like they were proved. We sounded organised, fit and good defensively. Dobson is an excellent box to box man, Butler is always capable of nicking a winning goal if we can keep a clean sheet.

The standards of teams will be average at best this season but Rochdale will be one of the poorer teams so it is difficult to judge but Money knows we need strength in other areas and reports have told us that he has 2/3 players in the right positions in mind who will come in soon.

I expect us to win (or at least remain undefeated) in the next couple of games though.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:It sounds like my concerns from pre-season have continued.

Fox isn't suited to playing left midfield (whether he can beat people like a winger or not.

Sam will cause lots of headaches for defences at any level but will miss chances.

Ince made good saves but I haven't seen any comments about his overall game. Did he go AWOL very often?

However our many plus points sound like they were proved. We sounded organised, fit and good defensively. Dobson is an excellent box to box man, Butler is always capable of nicking a winning goal if we can keep a clean sheet.

The standards of teams will be average at best this season but Rochdale will be one of the poorer teams so it is difficult to judge but Money knows we need strength in other areas and reports have told us that he has 2/3 players in the right positions in mind who will come in soon.

I expect us to win (or at least remain undefeated) in the next couple of games though.

i wasnt worried about kinsella really, i didnt think he had a bad game but some do

fox isnt suited to playing as a winger but thats because hes not a winger. i think hell go more adventurous once he can trust ishys temper

sam i agree with

ince didnt go awol once, caught what he had to and left what was bound to be cleared up by others made a pair of good saves from lambert, kicked well

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:42 pm

Great day. Winning away, the "how" doesn't really matter but we were clearly a better side than Rochdale. The spine of the side is full of leadership and communication. Ince, Gerrard, Picken, Kinsella, Dobson and Butler were all talking, cajoling etc. it's something we've missed in that quantity since Walker, pointon, Viveash et al.

Shame The Church was shut after the game (anyone know why?) but the Cemetry had some fine ale and offered a home perspective (they thought we were a well organised and drilled unit - words opposing fans may not have come up with in recent years. They also felt we had over 1000 there as they were ashamed of their numbers for an opening day).

It's feeling good again

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:It sounds like my concerns from pre-season have continued.

i wasnt worried about kinsella really, i didnt think he had a bad game but some do

fox isnt suited to playing as a winger but thats because hes not a winger. i think hell go more adventurous once he can trust ishys temper

sam i agree with

ince didnt go awol once, caught what he had to and left what was bound to be cleared up by others made a pair of good saves from lambert, kicked well

Cheers Gaz.

I didn't mean Kinsella not playing cos of not playing well, just that he's too much like Dobson and not very creative which we'll need when we can't create from wide.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:18 pm

ahh right

against not so good teams i still think well do enough but against the top teams at hoime especially well need to go for it more and an AM will let us do that

away from home i wouldnt mind keeping the same team, with maybe bedeau coming in

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:36 pm

After the euphoria has died down of a victory at last my main concerns are al down the left side.Kris Taylor and Daniel Fox are still behaving and playing in prima donna mode.They both think they should still be at their previous clubs.Sorry lads your in div.4 so start earning the right to be part of the team not expecting it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:39 pm

m&m wrote:After the euphoria has died down of a victory at last my main concerns are al down the left side.Kris Taylor and Daniel Fox are still behaving and playing in prima donna mode.They both think they should still be at their previous clubs.Sorry lads your in div.4 so start earning the right to be part of the team not expecting it.

And both are being played out of position. I criticised Merson for it and I will criticise Dosh for it.

I will judge them when played in cenre midfield and left back respectively. Especially Taylor who I think is an obvious change which will have a very good effect on the team until another creative midfielder is signed.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
m&m wrote:After the euphoria has died down of a victory at last my main concerns are al down the left side.Kris Taylor and Daniel Fox are still behaving and playing in prima donna mode.They both think they should still be at their previous clubs.Sorry lads your in div.4 so start earning the right to be part of the team not expecting it.

And both are being played out of position. I criticised Merson for it and I will criticise Dosh for it.

I will judge them when played in cenre midfield and left back respectively. Especially Taylor who I think is an obvious change which will have a very good effect on the team until another creative midfielder is signed.

I trust Dosh's judgment on this, keep it the same is my call.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 am

I just don't get where the "concerns" come from. We are a club trying to stop the rot. We are not going to become world beaters overnight, but we need to get right back to the basics of being a professional football club, and to that end Saturday was hugely positive.

I really feared a slow start after two years of utter dross and decline, we now have a wonderful opportunity to get off to a flyer with another win tomorrow. I really can't feel anything other than renewed cautious optimism after Saturday. What we now know is that when we turn up to watch the Saddlers we are at least going to get commitment, organisation, and effort that's all I ever want or expect. There was also some very decent football played on Saturday IMO.

Red Leader

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:20 am

didnt go the game (and wont get chance to go to many this season)

but based on reports here and national press its a good start for to the season and I will take that!! Hopefully we will improve as the season goes on. The important thing is that we appeared solid, and created chances.

Mister Pink

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:06 am

To put things in perspective, Rochdale looked a very poor outfit who seem certain to finish near the bottom of the league. Having said that, though, I thought we completely dominated the game and could have won by 2 or 3 goals. Marks out of 10:-

Ince - 8 One cracking save, punched once when under pressure and caught everything else.

Pead - 8 Solid at the back & got forward at every opportunity

Gerrard - 8 Commanding in the air, hardly put a foot wrong

Picken - 7 One or two eyecatching surges forward but one or two heartstopping errors - he''ll be fine, I'm sure.

Taylor - 7 Ok but not really tested defensively

Wright - 7 What can you say? The good, the bad and the ugly! But getting on his back before he's kicked a ball won't help - let's get behind him from the start and try to boost his confidence. He did ok on Saturday and we certainly looked more of a threat on his flank than on the left.

Kinsella - 7 Neat & tidy, linked play well but ran out of steam in second half and could have been replaced a bit earlier.

Dobson - 8 Excellent. Bossed midfield.

Fox - 6 Auxillary left back. Pointless.

Sam - 7 Held ball up and laid it off well but could have stayed on his feet a bit more.

Butler - 9 Awesome. Great movement, great in the air, good passing. Too good for this league!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season