Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Aston Villa (H) 21/7/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:47 am

Mediocre premier team embroilled in internal mayhem 5

2nd division team, hoping to turn over a new leaf and set the league on fire 0

Room for improvement it seems.

Oh well, not the end of the world

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:10 pm

I think this game will have showed DD a couple of glaring weaknesses in our team. I had a look at the middle of our team, and what I mean by that is the centre backs, centre midfield and strikers. Apart from Westwood, who I thought won diddly squat in the air tonight, if you replaced him with Gerrard, I believe we have a team that is strong, and will help our push for promotion. On the flanks is where we have issues.

On the left, I thought Taylor and Fox played okay, but never ventured past half way. Unfortunatley I think it is one or the other for me, no way can we start with them both on the left against Rochdale.

The right side was the most dissapointing. Pead looked well off the pace, and never got close to Barry making crosses. Someone else said he was the best player in the first half??? Funny how he was substituted then? Bedeau has not impressed me at this moment. I have seen him on 4 occassions now, and I am still lying in wait for him to beat a man and cross from the byeline? He shirks tackles as much as Mark Wright does as well.

Ince, well we will have to wait and see! He was wandering into no mans land for the first, and his mix up with Roper was comical. The worrying part was he never grasped any shots all night, they all wriggled free from his clutch one way or another.

Who was the guy on the bench who never made an appearance, Guy Mako (?), anyone with any info?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:26 pm

It was me that thought Pead had a great first half toejoe - still stand by that as I was judging his defending against a premiership side.

I doubt that DD was taking players off because they were having a poor game - in friendly matches the use of substitutes is usually to allow the manager to try out different combinations of players prior to the start of the season.

As you say - there is still work to be done and 5 - 0 is a poor result, but we won't face any team as equipt as Villa in League 2

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:44 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
Who was the guy on the bench who never made an appearance, Guy Mako (?), anyone with any info?

Guy Madjo was released by Bristol City last season, having made a handful of appearances. During his time at Ashton Gate he was on loan at Forest Green in the Conference [05/06]. I'm not sure where he went after his release though. I get the impression that they preferred Bas Savage instead - which may tell us all we need to know!

McNugget

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:42 pm

redalways wrote:
In Bedeau we actually have a player worse than Mark Wright,

couldnt agree more with this statement. and i do not rate wright in the slightest

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Why can we still see that Westwood and Roper is not the partnership?!

I can say that up till now I have not seen anything positive to take from Bedeau, he hasnt got pace for a wide right player and doesnt seem to work as hard as Money said he is!

We played against a premiership side that deserved the win but there were quite a few negatives last night. Lets hope Incey doesnt have too many games like that.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Why can we still see that Westwood and Roper is not the partnership?!

I can say that up till now I have not seen anything positive to take from Bedeau, he hasnt got pace for a wide right player and doesnt seem to work as hard as Money said he is!

We played against a premiership side that deserved the win but there were quite a few negatives last night. Lets hope Incey doesnt have too many games like that.

That's true about bedeau, he's not shown me nothing yet tbh.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:01 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:Why can we still see that Westwood and Roper is not the partnership?!

He's still recovering from a knee operation, for God's sake. Give him chance.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:

He's still recovering from a knee operation, for God's sake. Give him chance.

Alright, Keep your hair on. I didn't actually know he was recovering from a knee operation! I hope he does come good!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Even if he wasn't recovering from a knee operation, its also only his 2nd/3rd start with a new team, new manager and new style of play...

I sometimes think we've got fans who expect a player to score a hat-trick whilst scratching their arse with a polar's bear tongue everytime they play... And debutants have to have a wazz whilst they're doing the above.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 am

Stu wrote:Even if he wasn't recovering from a knee operation, its also only his 2nd/3rd start with a new team, new manager and new style of play...

I sometimes think we've got fans who expect a player to score a hat-trick whilst scratching their arse with a polar's bear tongue everytime they play... And debutants have to have a wazz whilst they're doing the above.

:lol:

For those who didn't know, Bedeau had an operation to "clean out" his knee just after signing for us (nothing that serious), so his preparation will be way behind.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:12 am

Anybody want to take their words back and eat humble pie regarding Ince...Staffs Saddler?

We'll see plenty more mistakes like that I'm sure as I predicted from the start and got lambasted for it. He made one in the Albion game and got away with it, racing 25 yards out for no reason.

Everything else we can work with (Taylor can play the creative midfield role we are desperately lacking) but I still say we get another experienced keeper in even though 3 keepers at this level is a joke.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:26 pm

Agreed there, I said similar when we signed Ince, never rated him and never will..

I think the fact that we signed him shows what a lack of quality keepers there must be about.

We won't sign another experienced keeper, if we do and he is 2nd choice to Ince then he must be cack... And there is no way Money will go out and sign another keeper to relegate Ince to the bench, as Ince will do his nut.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Stu wrote:Agreed there, I said similar when we signed Ince, never rated him and never will..

I think the fact that we signed him shows what a lack of quality keepers there must be about.

We won't sign another experienced keeper, if we do and he is 2nd choice to Ince then he must be ****... And there is no way Money will go out and sign another keeper to relegate Ince to the bench, as Ince will do his nut.

He's got no right to do his nut if he gives goals away. :lol:

I'd love to see the list of available goalkeepers that Per put up before we signed Ince.

There was at least 4/5 names on there I would have preferred.

Per/whoever it was - I don't suppose you still have it do you?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:Agreed there, I said similar when we signed Ince, never rated him and never will..

We won't sign another experienced keeper, if we do and he is 2nd choice to Ince then he must be ****... And there is no way Money will go out and sign another keeper to relegate Ince to the bench, as Ince will do his nut.

He's got no right to do his nut if he gives goals away. :lol:

I'd love to see the list of available goalkeepers that Per put up before we signed Ince.

There was at least 4/5 names on there I would have preferred.

Per/whoever it was - I don't suppose you still have it do you?

Great! Here we go again with episode 9 of the Great Bescot Keeper Calamity...........

:x AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

the_game

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:21 pm

total rubbish :twisted:

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season