Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League Saturday 25/11/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Much better performance , Tommy Wright lookes very good , hit it of with Butler from the first minute. The sponsers for once got the man of the match right , Westwood was outstanding . and i though Keates had his best game since his rerturn to us.

I agree with geoff about the Notts keeper making a meal out of it with Wright,but that dive , from where i sat geoff it was a clear dive .

Ince made 2 excellent saves in the first half , so no one can blame him for the goal. he's been quality all season.

Felt for Butler today , he ran his legs off . had 3 good chances, i the goals will come and when they do some team is in for a trashing.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:45 pm

Cannock wrote:Strongly disagree with you Geoff. That was the most ludicrous dive i have ever seen. Comical in fact.

Great overall play by Wright though. Just what the Dr. ordered.

I know you're getting on a bit mate but i was unaware your eyes were going :lol:

Agree

Everyone on my row agreed too at the time.... we were all ready for holding our 6.0 scorecards up!

All in all though, I was quite impressed with Tommy Boy!

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm

everyone needs to make sure they distingush between mark and tommy wright in their posts else it gets abit confusing.... :shock:

on second thoughts ill just look remember that a good wright is tommy and a bad wright is mark :wink: cue abuse from MWAS

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:33 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:From my seat, the keeper made a total meal of it, complete with two veg and a sweet ! The booking for Wright was crazy, and mainly brought on by the reactions of the crowd behind the goal.

Stu, I don't know where you were watching from, but I can tell you that for sure Wright was taken by the ankle in mid-air, it was as clear as day from our angle - that was NO dive. It was a foul, absolutely nailed-on, but we got nowt, which was the story throughout most of the game from the incompetent idiot in green.

Daz and his dad were sitting in front of me, we had a perfect view from directly level with the incident, and they will confirm it, I am sure.

Sounds like Geoff needs some glasses to go with his green coat!

crazysaddla

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:everyone needs to make sure they distingush between mark and tommy wright in their posts else it gets abit confusing.... :shock:

on second thoughts ill just look remember that a good wright is tommy and a bad wright is mark :wink: cue abuse from MWAS
yeah but two wrights don,t make a wrong

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:44 pm

Sorry Geoff but from my seat in the F2G middle Tommy Wright threw himself through the air. There may have been a tiny amount of contact but as soon as he felt it he just went for a dive and what a dive it was.

That aside, we can be pleased to have bounced back from Tuesday's disapointment by beating onr of the better teams in this division. Be honest, if before the season started someone said that after 19 games we would be out of the cups but would be 7 points clear at the top only having lost one so far we would have taken that.

The trouble with us fans is that we are so hard to please. Me for one, I'm quite happy at the moment.

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:50 pm

Im very happy, sod the cups. Fair enough a run into the 3rd round would have been nice but the league is way more important to me.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Catch us now yer beggars. We are coming for your children.

crazysaddla

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:58 pm

fensaddler wrote:Catch us now yer beggars. We are coming for your children.
carefull,the old bill might be watching

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:00 pm

Knew that would be misinterpreted... :shock: I was looking for an alternative to the old saw 'lock up your daughters' that suggested the extent to which I expect us to put this division to the sword. Our new Viking signing might fit in very well...

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:01 pm

fensaddler wrote:Catch us now yer beggars. We are coming for your children.

Dropped a bollock there mate!

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:05 pm

gray wrote:
Maverick wrote:Two points ..... Job Done

UTS

3 points for a win mate! :wink:

bbc are saying that Wright was lucky to be on the pitch when he scored his goal, its a strage one.

:oops: I'm afraid the Stella Artois kicked in early tonight.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:06 pm

Bring your daughter, bring your daughter, to the slauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughter, let her go , let her go, let herrr gooooooo

:D

SOUTH DERBYSHIRE SADDLER

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 pm

Credit Notts they came to play football, Ince in the 1st half was immense, the save early on and the one from Scott Dann were brilliant. Its great to haVE A KEEPER THE DEFENCE CAN RELY ON. What happened to Fox today?
Martin looked like a striker low on confidence but at least today he did get into positions to score, which he hasn't of late, great credit to DD for freshening things up with Tommy Wright, a smashing goal on his debut , though as a Referee myself I felt the way the ref was performing he was going to walk before he scored. Thought the ref was poor today he should have walked think the ref bottled it
There are still areas we need to work on but plus points are Kinsella, Tommy Wright, Ince, Westwood (great today)
Strange to say we were unhappy that Mark Wright was replaced by Bedeau who still looks a pale shadow of the player that tormented us a couple of years ago at Torquay.
Great to be so clear at the top but let us not forget this is a poor Division and we will need to improve next season when we return to League One.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:10 pm

If it is a swedish or norwegian... sing this when he strikes.

"Why the heavens scream my name I will tell you now
Cause I am Thor (The thunder god)
And I decide where the lightning strikes
If you don’t believe it
My hammer will show you how. "

From Sonata Arcticas song "thor the thundergod"

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:29 pm

SOUTH DERBYSHIRE SADDLER wrote:Great to be so clear at the top but let us not forget this is a poor Division and we will need to improve next season when we return to League One.

I agree, although I don't think we'll be too many players short. If we had this side last season, I'm sure we'd have been safe. Assuming Money signs the couple of strikers he is talking about, I think the priorities will then have to be a right sided midfielder and someone to play in the centre with Dobson.

Pelsall_Saddler

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:35 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Bring your daughter, bring your daughter, to the slauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughter, let her go , let her go, let herrr gooooooo

Iron Maiden?

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Pelsall_Saddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Bring your daughter, bring your daughter, to the slauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughter, let her go , let her go, let herrr gooooooo

Iron Maiden?

yepp...

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:22 am

Cannock wrote:Strongly disagree with you Geoff. That was the most ludicrous dive i have ever seen. Comical in fact.

I know you're getting on a bit mate but i was unaware your eyes were going :lol:

MY eyes aren't going at all mate, his trailing ankle was taken as clear as the nose on my face, and that was a nailed-on free-kick.

If it was a dive, tell me why the ref didn't book him, he gave nowt, which is what the incompetent fool did for us most of the game.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:41 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

MY eyes aren't going at all mate, his trailing ankle was taken as clear as the nose on my face, and that was a nailed-on free-kick.

If it was a dive, tell me why the ref didn't book him, he gave nowt, which is what the incompetent fool did for us most of the game.

Didn't look like it from my angle Geoff. Maybe the ref didn't book him because he bottled it and didn't want to send anyone off.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Geoff's new matchday attire :)

I don't think the ref had that bad a game really. We've had worse plonkers at the Bezzla.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:06 am

Match report

Thought the ref was terrible! Geoff's right, Wright was caught, although the contact was slight. Westwood was tremendous and I thought Keates was aweful!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ned-fayre/

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:10 am

SOUTH DERBYSHIRE SADDLER wrote:Credit Notts they came to play football,

Very good point County played thier part in an very entertaining game.
unlike most teams that come to Bescot .

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:17 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I think the priorities will then have to be a right sided midfielder

:?

Do we not have 3 players capable of playing in this position in M.Wright, Bedaeu and Wrack? No way is a right midfielder a "priority."

By the way, I thought we were superb yesterday. Those are the sort of games you grind out when you win promotion, so far so good. :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:47 am

*edit*
Last edited by Stu on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:50 am

philthesaddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:To be fair mate, i was ten yards from the incident, and he did not touch him at all, he went in, but the goalie took one.

I'd agree with Daz, from the upper purple, both challenges on the keeper looked totally inocuous.

The 2nd challenge was, but the first was late, very late.

Whether he touched him or not doesn't affect the matter, its about intent. You can get booked without touching a player, the booking can be for intent.

If the keeper hadn't jumped out the way, Wright would have clattered him.

Don't get me wrong, its nice to see a striker do that as it puts the keeper on the back foot for the rest of the match, and you could see him a little wary to come out when Wright or Butler came closing down.

Its Rambo used to do, and I think its always handy to clatter a keeper early on to be honest... But I won't complain about the yellow card, and again, as said earlier, there wasn't a complaint from Wright, our players or our bench. That to me says everything, they agreed with it.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:53 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Because the ref bottled it, knowing he'd already yellow carded the bloke.

Again, look for a players reaction, nothing from Wright, nothing from any of our other players, whilst 2/3 of their players went ape cack at the ref for not doing anything.

Glitterati

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:16 pm

How many yellow cards has Butler had? Nearly a one-game suspension I'm sure....

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:35 pm

1933 wrote:How many yellow cards has Butler had? Nearly a one-game suspension I'm sure....

According to this Butler its 4 yellows

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Percie wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I think the priorities will then have to be a right sided midfielder

:?

Do we not have 3 players capable of playing in this position in M.Wright, Bedaeu and Wrack? No way is a right midfielder a "priority."

So you're saying that Bedeau is good enough to play regularly on our right side of midfield in the league above? I think a lot of the stick he gets is unfair, but he's not good enough to play there if we get promoted next year.
Wright showed last season that he struggled to cope with the standard. Yes, the management was poor, and I'll be happy to see him given a chance if we get promoted, but I think he'll be shown up as being one of the weak links again.
I think Wrack could cope with the standard as he knows the game so much better than the previous two, but chances are, he'll only play half of the matches.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season