Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League Saturday 9/12/06

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Percie
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, that was different.

First of all, fair play to Swindon, they came here with a game plan and it worked. Looked very dangerous whenever they went forward, especially on the counter attack. Best team to have come to Bescot just in front of MK Dons.

Us? Well, below par to say the least. I thought our main problem was the holding in midfield, there wasn't any! Partly due to the fact they had more effective players in those positions willing to run with the ball and Dobson being so poor.

Ince - A few people round me blamed Ince for the first goal, I personally didn't see what mistake he made. I think Roper's hesitance cost us the first. Went the right way for the "penalty" but it was hit too sweetly into the corner of the goal, he didn't stand a chance.

Westwood - Seems to be dipping back into this inconsistent player we saw under M*rson, but he is being played out of position. I didn't justify any of the booing towards him today.

Roper - Pretty much out of the game from the moment he got booked (I thought the referee was wrong to book him as he went on to not give cards out for far more serious fouls later on in the game). Hesitated going into tackles, I blame him for both of their goals. Very sloppy defensive work today.

Dann - Is there no limits to this man? What can't he do? Best player for us today. Distributed well and looked rock solid at the back. Hes going to demand quite a fee.

Taylor - Poor I thought, didn't get forward enough when he could. Roberts had him in his pocket most of the game.

M.Wright - What can I say about him? I'm one of the few that backs unfashionable players but he has been terrible these last few games. Very lightweight at times, passing lacked lustier. The MWAS is by no means dead though. We’’re going underground for the time being. AL-MWAS!

Dobson - Worst player on the pitch, by a street. Won hardly anything in the middle and was completely over ran. He is clearly unfit and out of form. He shouldn't have been in the starting 11.

Kinsella - Had to make up for Dobson's incompetence meaning he couldn't concentrate on his own game. Ineffective.

Fox - Best player in the first half, got forward and caused their right back a few problems. Too bad he lacked support from Taylor further up the pitch.

Butler - Same as always, runs a lot, chases everything down. Didn't really have a chance to get on the score sheet as the service was so poor.

T.Wright - See Butler.

Rubber Dubs:

Sam - See T.Wright

Pead - Too late for me. I'd like to see Pead play in the middle with a holding player. Is the only player we have in our squad that will pick the ball up and willing to run 40 yards. Looked poor at right back.

Gerrard - Game was done and dusted by the time he come on.

All in all, not very good. Typical Walsall though. We get a half decent crowd in and we under perform. Fingers crossed the manager of the month curse won't bite us on the arse. Looking for a massive improvement against Wrexham!

UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Cant really say anything as i wasnt there today, but i hope mark wright isnt playing for us next season.

Hopefully this is just a blip, and wrexham will face a backlash.

dannyv

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Ince - Played like the ince i remember from his crewe days
Westwood - Superb in the last few games but poor distributrion again today
Roper - What was up with him today!!! :?
Dann - Played well considering hes only a young lad, hes one of he few players in the squad with heart and passion
Taylor - Awful IMO Poor distribution and poor defending as well. Also was at fault for the first goal. Fox called for taylor to leave the ball to run to him as he was in a better position but taylor decided to take it himself, lost it straight away, 20 seconds later swindon are 1-0 up. Fox looked pretty P***ed off with taylor when it went in.
M.Wright - What a terrible player he is , never ever takes on his man. Goes the the byline and gets tackled then falls over
Kinsella - Best Player on the park for me, Always looking to create something. Worked his socks off and will be a massive miss
Dobson - I like dobson and think some of the critism of him has been a little harsh but he was awfull today.Must have lost the ball about 10 - 15 times.
Fox - Wasnt in the game much and didnt really do anything
T.Wright - Worked hard but no service at all
Butler - Also worked hard got no service

But it had to happen some time and i think we'll turn it round at wrexham

kaneo

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Well thats been coming for weeks,hand on heart when can any one remember when we've really played well and completeley out played a team? This league is dire to say the least and we aint mutch better,if we were stil in league 1 we'd be scrappin to avoid relegation,theres no flare or creativity in the team. :(

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:13 pm

saddlerken wrote:Beaten by a much better team credit where credit is due, Swindon were good. I've never seen possession given away so much, woeful control and passing from all except Butler. Dobson, atrocious, a quite diabolical performance and Roper had a mare, interesting to see how we get on at Wrexham.

Sid, Swindon were quite entertaining :wink:
yes they were ken...if we played like that i would have no complaints at all mate... :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:17 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Entertainment value 4/10 ...dont know what you guys who dont care about the entertainment value think...what do you think of the game guys and gals?

i think one bad home performance out of 10 in the league isnt that bad, and being 7 points clear. Go to more games sid and you will see! ;)

"one bad home performance out of 10 in the league isnt that bad," you must be kidding metfan...cant remember the last time we out played rather than styfulled a team.

NeechezTheSaddler

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Awful game, I was actually embarrassed watching it. Swindon outclassed us today, more hunger, more pace and technically superior.

Dobson was shocking along with Westwood and Roper, it seems anytime an opponent comes with 5 yards of one of out players that we boot it upfield. I'm really starting to get worried, there was absolutely no creativity well we haven't had any all season but today was dire. I was shocked when i saw Ishmel wasn't on the bench in my opinion he should be getting a starting place since Taylor and Fox produce absolutely nothing.

Absolutely gutted, but tomorrow i'll see the overview not the emotion of seeing that performance. We are still 7 points clear and have only lost 2 matches all season, I just hope that DD thinks about changing things about a bit because I think teams are starting to find us out.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:29 pm

sid swifty wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Entertainment value 4/10 ...dont know what you guys who dont care about the entertainment value think...what do you think of the game guys and gals?

i think one bad home performance out of 10 in the league isnt that bad, and being 7 points clear. Go to more games sid and you will see! ;)

"one bad home performance out of 10 in the league isnt that bad," you must be kidding metfan...cant remember the last time we out played rather than styfulled a team.

Sorry Metfan, I think you mean one bad result rather than bad performance. A lot of the games we have won we haven't looked totally convincing in.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:40 pm

NeechezTheSaddler wrote:Awful game, I was actually embarrassed watching it. Swindon outclassed us today, more hunger, more pace and technically superior.

Dobson was shocking along with Westwood and Roper, it seems anytime an opponent comes with 5 yards of one of out players that we boot it upfield. I'm really starting to get worried, there was absolutely no creativity well we haven't had any all season but today was dire. I was shocked when i saw Ishmel wasn't on the bench in my opinion he should be getting a starting place since Taylor and Fox produce absolutely nothing.

Absolutely gutted, but tomorrow i'll see the overview not the emotion of seeing that performance. We are still 7 points clear and have only lost 2 matches all season, I just hope that DD thinks about changing things about a bit because I think teams are starting to find us out.

I think we'll limp through December and hopefully new playing staff will give us a boost. After that I don't know what will happen :?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:57 pm

Percie wrote:Well, that was different.

First of all, fair play to Swindon, they came here with a game plan and it worked. Looked very dangerous whenever they went forward, especially on the counter attack. Best team to have come to Bescot just in front of MK Dons.

Us? Well, below par to say the least. I thought our main problem was the holding in midfield, there wasn't any! Partly due to the fact they had more effective players in those positions willing to run with the ball and Dobson being so poor.

Ince - A few people round me blamed Ince for the first goal, I personally didn't see what mistake he made. I think Roper's hesitance cost us the first. Went the right way for the "penalty" but it was hit too sweetly into the corner of the goal, he didn't stand a chance.

Westwood - Seems to be dipping back into this inconsistent player we saw under M*rson, but he is being played out of position. I didn't justify any of the booing towards him today.

Roper - Pretty much out of the game from the moment he got booked (I thought the referee was wrong to book him as he went on to not give cards out for far more serious fouls later on in the game). Hesitated going into tackles, I blame him for both of their goals. Very sloppy defensive work today.

Dann - Is there no limits to this man? What can't he do? Best player for us today. Distributed well and looked rock solid at the back. Hes going to demand quite a fee.

Taylor - Poor I thought, didn't get forward enough when he could. Roberts had him in his pocket most of the game.

M.Wright - What can I say about him? I'm one of the few that backs unfashionable players but he has been terrible these last few games. Very lightweight at times, passing lacked lustier. The MWAS is by no means dead though. We’’re going underground for the time being. AL-MWAS!

Dobson - Worst player on the pitch, by a street. Won hardly anything in the middle and was completely over ran. He is clearly unfit and out of form. He shouldn't have been in the starting 11.

Kinsella - Had to make up for Dobson's incompetence meaning he couldn't concentrate on his own game. Ineffective.

Fox - Best player in the first half, got forward and caused their right back a few problems. Too bad he lacked support from Taylor further up the pitch.

Butler - Same as always, runs a lot, chases everything down. Didn't really have a chance to get on the score sheet as the service was so poor.

T.Wright - See Butler.

Rubber Dubs:

Sam - See T.Wright

Pead - Too late for me. I'd like to see Pead play in the middle with a holding player. Is the only player we have in our squad that will pick the ball up and willing to run 40 yards. Looked poor at right back.

Gerrard - Game was done and dusted by the time he come on.

All in all, not very good. Typical Walsall though. We get a half decent crowd in and we under perform. Fingers crossed the manager of the month curse won't bite us on the backside. Looking for a massive improvement against Wrexham!

UTS

Pretty much agree with all that mate. Swindon played well, we have a bad day at the office. I thought Dann was the only "creative" midfielder today - and he wasn't playin in midfield! Dobson had a mare. The booking of Roper - possilby justified - but once again consistency lacking as the tackle on Fox was disgusting and deserved a yellow too.

Manager of Month curse strikes again. :cry:

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:01 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:right then.....

where do i start ??

Ince - The clayton ince i remember of old unfortunately. what was he doing on the first goal ???

Westwood - Poor, where had his touch gone from previous games ?
Roper - worst performance from ropes for 4/5 years for me.
Dann - MOTO - if only the others had the heart of this young lad.
K Taylor - Indecisive, never got forward.

(now heres where the fun starts - midfield)

M Wright - ahhh, well i hope you MWAS disband after this, gutless, shameful, bottler, get rid in January, send him out on loan somewhere, and get someone else in. What a T***. When you need people to step up to the plate, never count on this lad.

Kinsella - never, ever got a foothold in the game, but didnt waste possesion too much, made some good runs, but never picked out.

Dobson - Absolutely dreadful, but Injured, some may ask why was he even playing ? Id say it was because you couldnt throw young Mark bradley into a game like swindon, and playing pead would be dwarf midfield.

Fox - might as well of played in midfield, because he was as wide as nelsons column.

T wright - No service, but never looked interested.

Butler - he tried, tried , tried, but again no support whatsoever.

Ahh so the second half, we change to 4-3-3 with hector sam coming on, fox in midfield then kins off for pead. what happened ? there was nothing. no width, no penetration. rubbish.

BUT, and its a big but, this was always bound to happen sometime or other, we were due a bad un', and this was it. Credit to swindon though, but if the walsall we have coem to know had turned up and fought for the game, then we would have at least drew. 7 points clear still tho, need to get something at wrexham and stop a mini rot of sorts.

UTS.

Agree with you 100% there mate. Although Dobbo looks to be carrying about a stone to much in weight for me.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm

Everything about today was completely under par. So much so, that I'm almost glad every player had a shocker at the same time - at least that won't happen again (hopefully). Personally, I can only see Fox as a player who can say after the game that they played ok. Everyone else played as badly as they have done all season.
Dann was trying to play 60 yard passes from the back, Dobson to be fair put a lot of effort in today, but his control and distribution was awful, the strikers had no service whatsoever, and we didn't have anything different to offer in terms of substitutes.

I didn't even think Swindon were particularly good - they looked like your typical league 2 'big boot' side until they relaxed after they'd gone 2-0 up.

Hopefully we've got that out of our system now and can extend our lead at the top of the league once again. What was that about a manager of the month curse?!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm

I'll tell you something, if Dobson is a professional footballer then I'd better buy myself some boots and ask for a game. What a complete waste of space this idiot is. If we're going to be serious about promotion then this loser needs to be shipped out.

Spend just 1 minute watching him and you'll see he doesn't get in position to receive a pass, he doesn't mark a player, he doesn't close anyone down, he just runs around in little circles by the centre circle looking utterly and totally fudge lost. I could do that job no fudge problem. Captain ??? I wouldn't make him captain og my fudge Subbeteo team !!!

Bollox to buying strikers Dickie, it's a couple of half decent central midfielders we need.

Mark Wright, well what can I say ? One day he'll make a fudge tackle, then again perhaps not, the fudge bottling wimp.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Oh yeah, what kind of fudge tactic is that makes us have 11 men in our own box at corner when we're 2 - 0 down ??? FFS give us a chance of getting back into the game !

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Dave Roe wrote:I'll tell you something, if Dobson is a professional footballer then I'd better buy myself some boots and ask for a game. What a complete waste of space this idiot is. If we're going to be serious about promotion then this loser needs to be shipped out.

Spend just 1 minute watching him and you'll see he doesn't get in position to receive a pass, he doesn't mark a player, he doesn't close anyone down, he just runs around in little circles by the centre circle looking utterly and totally ****** lost. I could do that job no ****** problem. Captain ??? I wouldn't make him captain og my ****** Subbeteo team !!!

Bollox to buying strikers Dickie, it's a couple of half decent central midfielders we need.

Mark Wright, well what can I say ? One day he'll make a ****** tackle, then again perhaps not, the ****** bottling wimp.

You don't like Dobson then Dave?? :wink:

Seriously i agree with you, at the start of the season I thought he was great, he rallied everyone and always seemed to be on the ball, then he had that head injury and he's done nothing for us since. Today he may as well have been playing for Swindon!!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:48 pm

dancingsaddler wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:I'll tell you something, if Dobson is a professional footballer then I'd better buy myself some boots and ask for a game. What a complete waste of space this idiot is. If we're going to be serious about promotion then this loser needs to be shipped out.

Spend just 1 minute watching him and you'll see he doesn't get in position to receive a pass, he doesn't mark a player, he doesn't close anyone down, he just runs around in little circles by the centre circle looking utterly and totally ****** lost. I could do that job no ****** problem. Captain ??? I wouldn't make him captain og my ****** Subbeteo team !!!

Mark Wright, well what can I say ? One day he'll make a ****** tackle, then again perhaps not, the ****** bottling wimp.

You don't like Dobson then Dave?? :wink:

Seriously i agree with you, at the start of the season I thought he was great, he rallied everyone and always seemed to be on the ball, then he had that head injury and he's done nothing for us since. Today he may as well have been playing for Swindon!!

Was it obvious then Elaine ?

I missed the Stockport game and have spent the rest of the season trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. Without an toptally new midfield in the January window then the front two may as well stay at home every Saturday. How the hell futuresoBernie can blame Butler for not scoring is beyond me. When we get some real midfielders then we may have half a chance of providing the front two with something other than long, high balls :evil:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Oh yeah, what kind of ****** tactic is that makes us have 11 men in our own box at corner when we're 2 - 0 down ??? FFS give us a chance of getting back into the game !

Do you realise when the game finished we had 6 defenders on the pitch?

Gerrard, Dann, Pead, Roper, Fox, Taylor

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:01 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Oh yeah, what kind of ****** tactic is that makes us have 11 men in our own box at corner when we're 2 - 0 down ??? FFS give us a chance of getting back into the game !

Dave's on form :lol: Reminds me of the bad old days of Merscum, have a beer and calm down mate, it will all be better next week!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:02 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Do you realise when the game finished we had 6 defenders on the pitch?

Gerrard, Dann, Pead, Roper, Fox, Taylor

Well, as long as we don't concede again eh ? :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:06 pm

aldridge steve wrote:

Dave's on form :lol: Reminds me of the bad old days of Merscum, have a beer and calm down mate, it will all be better next week!

:oops:

It's the 5 beers at the match (& red wine with my meal) that have made me a bit OTT (plus the incident with the moaning old git - see other thread hasn't made me any happier). Still, I still think it's a shite tactic when you're 2 - 0 down at home :x

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 pm

What other thread Dave?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:09 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:What other thread Dave?

Just trying to sort it if you lot would stop posting for 30 fudge seconds :twisted: :lol:

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:What other thread Dave?

Just trying to sort it if you lot would stop posting for 30 ****** seconds :twisted: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:14 pm

Come on tell me then Dave I can’t wait to much longer the suspense is killing me.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:15 pm

:lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:17 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:Come on tell me then Dave I can’t wait to much longer the suspense is killing me.

Sorry UCOW (whoops, sorry, I mean DZ).

Should be there for your perusal. Apolgies in advance for my actions :oops:

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:22 pm

Have seen it and put my thoughts on it Mr.Roe.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Well - just like the bad old days!

Had almost forgotten what it was like to feel crap after a match

Swindon were by far the best side - good passing football and attacking from the midfield.

Our passing was poor and we seemed to have no midfield - and the long balls to our front men were never going to work.

We must sort out midfield and this cannot be done without bringing in someone new - holding/attacking midfielder. Someone like O'Conner would do.

Players are all off in Dublin tonight - hope they pick up some of the Irish luck as we might just start to need it.

nottssaddler

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:Come on tell me then Dave I can’t wait to much longer the suspense is killing me.

Sorry UCOW (whoops, sorry, I mean DZ).

Should be there for your perusal. Apolgies in advance for my actions :oops:

DZ is UCOW??

ddwals

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:31 pm

Dobson had a injury and should not have played.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season