Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Mansfield Town (A) League Saturday 20/1/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:27 am

With reference to Wright, I didn't hear much booing. I heard the usual groans and moans of disappointment, but its a bit OTT to sugest Wright was getting picked on every time he got the ball. I think it was a matter of "go on wright, go on, [then he gets the ball and he f*cks up for the nth time in the game] and people just let go a collective sigh/moan"

There was no booing. There was frustration at Wright, and Fox. I for one didn't boo at Wright or cheer when he went off.

But I think you have to accept that the 700 people who let go a collective "thank god for that" when wrighty went off can't all be wrong, and cant all be "crap" supporters. If Wrighty was a decent player worth his place in the side, why would so many be so happy to let go a cheer when he got subbed? Are all the several hundred that cheered idiots?

It's just a knee jerk reaction, can't be helped, when a player is so consistently poor, and he gets subbed, I think people will naturally release a cheer. Simple as that. Doesn't mean their idiots, or less of a supporter.

Our fans have been magnificient this season, we take more fans away from home than teams like Villa and Wigan, there was more than 900 at Mansfield, and for such a turn out is brilliant, for players like Wright and Fox to then show us a performance devoid of any guts, running, skill or determination, I think you have to accept there will be moans and groans. The moans, groans and cheers at football matches are part and parcel of it, and to be honest, if Mark Wright heard the cheer and understood it, it might have a good effect on him.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:31 am

There was plenty of booing by me Phil , fans were shouting back why are you boing Wright why pick on one player it got a bit heated at one stage .

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:33 am

Sorry Phil, can't accept that...the booing was audible at times. And the cheer when he was substituted was probably the loudest of the day!

I'm not a "Wright supporter" as such, but also I can't agree that he gave a performance "devoid of any guts, running, skill or determination". Certainly the skill wasn't there on Saturday but he STILL kept asking for the ball and not shying away from the game - I think that takes "guts" when the crowd is booing you or even "moaning/sighing". He still kept running. He always does.

All of those descriptions you mentioned can be used when describing Fox....but then I think I'm getting boring on that point!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:36 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:There was plenty of booing by me Phil , fans were shouting back why are you boing Wright why pick on one player it got a bit heated at one stage .

Where were you seated?

I was right at the back, right in the middle, and me and chris [red prince] heard no substantial booing, like I said we only heard the moans and groans that you get at all footy matches

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Sorry Phil, can't accept that...the booing was audible at times. And the cheer when he was substituted was probably the loudest of the day!

I'm not a "Wright supporter" as such, but also I can't agree that he gave a performance "devoid of any guts, running, skill or determination". Certainly the skill wasn't there on Saturday but he STILL kept asking for the ball and not shying away from the game - I think that takes "guts" when the crowd is booing you or even "moaning/sighing". He still kept running. He always does.

All of those descriptions you mentioned can be used when describing Fox....but then I think I'm getting boring on that point!!

Yes, and if you read my post I did describe Fox and Wright in the same bracket. IF anything, Fox was worse than Wright, at least Wright gets in to forward positions [Fox can't be arsed] its just they both f*cked up so many times that our forwards [who had tried to go through the middle] were relying on the wings, from where they got no service whatsoever.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 am

We sat behind the goal about 5 rows from the back . the booing came from the right of us , the fans having a go at the booing were just behind us to our left. and it was all aimed at Wright .

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49 am

Keep defending your own actions phil. :) (Note the smiley)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:We sat behind the goal about 5 rows from the back . the booing came from the right of us , the fans having a go at the booing were just behind us to our left. and it was all aimed at Wright .

Phil knows where it came from and I know where it came from. The people stood around him. The same people that constantly barrack Wright and the one who tried to deny it to me at the end of the match! ;)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:51 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:We sat behind the goal about 5 rows from the back . the booing came from the right of us , the fans having a go at the booing were just behind us to our left. and it was all aimed at Wright .

Phil knows where it came from and I know where it came from. The people stood around him. The same people that constantly barrack Wright and the one who tried to deny it to me at the end of the match! ;)

Long live the Al - MWAS (though he wasnt great along with the other lot in red)

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 am

There was a huge cheer when Wright went off

When Fox went off, not a thing except a few actually clapping

Why the inconsistancy between the two?

Both were as bad as each other, Fox has been by far the worse player going forward all season "he's in there for his defensive responsibilities", oh that's ok the, keep him in as our left winger, our attacking outlet down the left hand side, weird!

Don't get it, oh yes, actually I do, Wright IS a scapegoat for the boo boys

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 pm

why dont we all have a whip round and pay his contract up...i am sure with a bit of re-training he could get a job at Mcdonalds sweeping up or something... :D ...just kidding before i get ambushed... :wink:

hodgy for chile

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:03 pm

Don't forget that around 1000 fans had paid good money to watch their team. They are loyal, and have expectations. Without the paying fans there is no club. Some of those fans will have memories of times when Walsall played good, direct attacking football. They will have memories of players who gave 100% effectively and with passion. These players will have included fast, skilfull and scoring wingers who excited and thrilled. These players will also have been paid a pittance for doing so.
So, when fans now watch players, paid well, with the prospect of some fame, and not an ounce of the skill, passion, guts and ability of those they follow, they have a right to moan and boo and make their feelings known.
Oh for a winger like Colin Taylor, and midfielder like Alan Baker, a centre forward like George Kirby or Andy Rammell...get my drift?
Booing and cheering are the only ways in which fans can make known their views, on the day. They are part of the event, and their views need to be heard by players, managers and coaches.
Hows that then?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:27 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:Don't forget that around 1000 fans had paid good money to watch their team. They are loyal, and have expectations. Without the paying fans there is no club. Some of those fans will have memories of times when Walsall played good, direct attacking football. They will have memories of players who gave 100% effectively and with passion. These players will have included fast, skilfull and scoring wingers who excited and thrilled. These players will also have been paid a pittance for doing so.
So, when fans now watch players, paid well, with the prospect of some fame, and not an ounce of the skill, passion, guts and ability of those they follow, they have a right to moan and boo and make their feelings known.
Oh for a winger like Colin Taylor, and midfielder like Alan Baker, a centre forward like George Kirby or Andy Rammell...get my drift?
Booing and cheering are the only ways in which fans can make known their views, on the day. They are part of the event, and their views need to be heard by players, managers and coaches.
Hows that then?

Pretty crap to be honest.

Most of the booers are mindless kids who won't have seen any of those players you mention.

I'll just state the word again....SUPPORT-ERS.

hodgy for chile

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Supporters don't have to quietly accept dross. They are the guys who will be there week after week, through thick and thin, but they can't be expected to remain silent when watching poor play and lack of effort. Some of the current Walsall team are simply not good enough for league club football, whilst some give there all and are quite effective. The second division is a really poor league. just a bit better than non-league. Supporters will tolerate it this season, but if we don't go up, they will leave in droves. The have a right to express their frustraion and anxieties. It is all they can do on the day, and it should be listened to and acted on. They are still probably the best supporters in this division.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:Some of the current Walsall team are simply not good enough for league club football

who, out of interest?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:59 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:Supporters don't have to quietly accept dross. They are the guys who will be there week after week, through thick and thin, but they can't be expected to remain silent when watching poor play and lack of effort. Some of the current Walsall team are simply not good enough for league club football, whilst some give there all and are quite effective. The second division is a really poor league. just a bit better than non-league. Supporters will tolerate it this season, but if we don't go up, they will leave in droves. The have a right to express their frustraion and anxieties. It is all they can do on the day, and it should be listened to and acted on. They are still probably the best supporters in this division.

We weren't dross on Saturday. Think about last season for dross. People have such short memories. Why can't the same people with short memories see the bigger picture that we are 3 points clear at the top. This was a rare performance and result this season, IF it was the majority then booing maybe acceptable at the end of a game. People who boo when their team is top of the table are fickle, thick and aren't really supporters of their team.

Best supporters in the division? Based on what? Better to have 200 supporting the team instead 985 but a fair few booing.

We lost on Saturday because DD got it totally wrong. How do you fancy booing him? Thought not.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:02 pm

saddlerken wrote:
hodgy for chile wrote:Some of the current Walsall team are simply not good enough for league club football

who, out of interest?

Because he's used to such talented players as John Hodge judging by his user name. :roll:

The same John Hodge that used to argue with his own supporters.

The same John Hodge that was notorious hardly ever put a full 90 minutes in and usually only tried for one half of the match.

I presume by your comments that you are backing the booing of Wright. If you took your rose tinted specs off you'd notice that Hodge wasn't a lot better than Wright at all. At least Wright tries, even if he's not always up to scratch.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:Supporters don't have to quietly accept dross. They are the guys who will be there week after week, through thick and thin, but they can't be expected to remain silent when watching poor play and lack of effort. Some of the current Walsall team are simply not good enough for league club football, whilst some give there all and are quite effective. The second division is a really poor league. just a bit better than non-league. Supporters will tolerate it this season, but if we don't go up, they will leave in droves. The have a right to express their frustraion and anxieties. It is all they can do on the day, and it should be listened to and acted on. They are still probably the best supporters in this division.

I think the point is at least be fair in who your booing then.

Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?

Anyone trying to tell me that Fox has had a better season than Mark Wright is living in cloud-cuckoo land, they've both played wide positions and their output doesn't even compare. Ditto for Hector Sam as well.

When the treatments fair, folk won't complain. When its clearly a 'boo boy', then folk will complain about the booing and rightly so.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:09 pm

hodgy for chile wrote:Don't forget that around 1000 fans had paid good money to watch their team. They are loyal, and have expectations. Without the paying fans there is no club. Some of those fans will have memories of times when Walsall played good, direct attacking football. They will have memories of players who gave 100% effectively and with passion. These players will have included fast, skilfull and scoring wingers who excited and thrilled. These players will also have been paid a pittance for doing so.
Hows that then?
COULDN'T AGREE MORE HODGY :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Stu wrote:

Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?

Anyone trying to tell me that Fox has had a better season than Mark Wright is living in cloud-cuckoo land, they've both played wide positions and their output doesn't even compare. Ditto for Hector Sam as well.

When the treatments fair, folk won't complain. When its clearly a 'boo boy', then folk will complain about the booing and rightly so.
"Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?
Bcause we all remember what a waste of space he has been before this season stu...and although he is playing better than last season he wouldn't get in many teams as a first choice "wide man" (almost called him a winger then)...god knows how he has got as many starts as he has.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:

"Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?
Bcause we all remember what a waste of space he has been before this season Mark...and although he is playing better than last season he wouldn't get in many teams as a first choice "wide man" (almost called him a winger then)...god knows how he has got as many starts as he has.

You were actually quoting Stu, not me, but the very fact you and many others don't know the answer to your question is why you don't know what you're talking about and the bloke who has picked him and the other players and has us top of the table know exactly what he is doing on the whole.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:

Bcause we all remember what a waste of space he has been before this season Mark...and although he is playing better than last season he wouldn't get in many teams as a first choice "wide man" (almost called him a winger then)...god knows how he has got as many starts as he has.

You were actually quoting Stu, not me, but the very fact you and many others don't know the answer to your question is why you don't know what you're talking about and the bloke who has picked him and the other players and has us top of the table know exactly what he is doing on the whole.
maybe it just sounded like you Mark... :D ...I have never known a walsall player get so much stick as Mark Wright does...surely we cant all be wrong mark.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 pm

Not, wrong, you just can't differentiate between the good things being decisive in games and the bad things that aren't. Most of the good stuff he does creates goals which win us points, FACT. Most of the bad things DON'T lose us points, FACT.

Nobody still hasn't answered mine and Stu's question as to why it's Wright that gets the stick when players have been worse. Fox for example.

Funny how it's the black players who get most unwarranted stick. If it's not Wright, it's Westwood.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Funny how it's the black players who get most unwarranted stick. If it's not Wright, it's Westwood.

You may be needing this, MMF:

:(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:28 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?

Bcause we all remember what a waste of space he has been before this season stu

Is everyone going to start booing Butler then sid? Cos he had been awful for us before this season hadn't he? ;)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:29 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Funny how it's the black players who get most unwarranted stick. If it's not Wright, it's Westwood.

You may be needing this, MMF:

:(

No coincidence KC. I don't need a tin hat, I've got a thick skull. :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Stu wrote:Wright has had a better season than a few other players, so why don't they get the same stick?

Is everyone going to start booing Butler then sid? Cos he had been awful for us before this season hadn't he? ;)
IF WRIGHT WAS PLAYING AS GOOD A GENERAL GAME AS BUTLER MARK THEN HE WOULDN'T BE BOO'D WOULD HE...BUT HE IS NOWHERE NEAR...WE EVEN FORGIVE BUTLER FOR NOT SCORING BECAUSE HIS GENERAL ALL ROUND GAME IS GOOD...AND I HOPE THAT JIBE ABOUT BLACK PLAYERS WAS JUST TO GET A REACTION MARK. (sorry for the caps lock)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

IF WRIGHT WAS PLAYING AS GOOD A GENERAL GAME AS BUTLER MARK THEN HE WOULDN'T BE BOO'D WOULD HE...BUT HE IS NOWHERE NEAR...WE EVEN FORGIVE BUTLER FOR NOT SCORING BECAUSE HIS GENERAL ALL ROUND GAME IS GOOD...AND I HOPE THAT JIBE ABOUT BLACK PLAYERS WAS JUST TO GET A REACTION MARK. (sorry for the caps lock)

But he was fudging awful last time out wor he?

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Slag him off all you want, but the facts speak for themselves... 5th in the league for assists this season, more than any other Walsall player. Joint 22nd in the entire Football League if you want to know.

As a winger, he is there to create, offer width, pace and create goals. Figures show he is doing exactly that...

Ignore the facts all you want, as I know it doesn't help your argument... But for me, he is doing his job and justifying his place by creating goals. I'm happy to take 89 minutes of rubbish if that 1 minute of skill creates a goal/chance that earns us a point or 3.

As said to Daz, put Bedeau in his place, and I doubt we'd be 3pts clear at the top of the league as he wouldn't have 7 assists to his name based on performances to date.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Stu wrote:Slag him off all you want, but the facts speak for themselves... 5th in the league for assists this season, more than any other Walsall player. Joint 22nd in the entire Football League if you want to know.

As a winger, he is there to create, offer width, pace and create goals. Figures show he is doing exactly that...

Ignore the facts all you want, as I know it doesn't help your argument... But for me, he is doing his job and justifying his place by creating goals. I'm happy to take 89 minutes of rubbish if that 1 minute of skill creates a goal/chance that earns us a point or 3.

As said to Daz, put Bedeau in his place, and I doubt we'd be 3pts clear at the top of the league as he wouldn't have 7 assists to his name based on performances to date.

but daz dow listen because his iq is 1 million points better than anyone elses

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season