Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) Last League 1 Match. 06/05/06

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat May 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Kevthesaddler wrote:Borrowman 5/10 - I do feel sorry for him & dont agree with the fans booing him but if offers nothin at all. he tries him best but is simply not good enough. (get rid)

Totally agree. Booing him doesn't benefit anyone - Kinsella had obviously seen he was having a nightmare which was why he was taken off - no point rubbing salt in the wound!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat May 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Kevthesaddler wrote:Borrowman 5/10 - I do feel sorry for him & dont agree with the fans booing him but if offers nothin at all. he tries him best but is simply not good enough. (get rid)

How does a performance in which a player offers nothing and is simply not good enough merit five out of ten? Looking at your marking system I think that you give everyone 5 for turning out. I agree with most of your comments but would subtract 5 from each player and you are about right. :?

WFC_Rob wrote:Totally agree. Booing him doesn't benefit anyone - Kinsella had obviously seen he was having a nightmare which was why he was taken off - no point rubbing salt in the wound!

I noticed that Kinsella got his instruction of when to take off Barrowman from Money. I suppose that Money wanted to have a look at him and see if he had any chance of making a player.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Bernie wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Totally agree. Booing him doesn't benefit anyone - Kinsella had obviously seen he was having a nightmare which was why he was taken off - no point rubbing salt in the wound!

I noticed that Kinsella got his instruction of when to take off Barrowman from Money. I suppose that Money wanted to have a look at him and see if he had any chance of making a player.

Funnily enough, I suggested that might have been what happened when Wright was taken off.
Money to Kinsella......... "Who's that number 14? Get him off, let's see what young Ishmel can do."

Kevthesaddler

Sat May 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Bernie, I think you right about my scoring system. If I was doing the Barnsley team I would have to give them 9s & 10s!

Brum

Sat May 06, 2006 10:44 pm

Cully wrote:Thanks for that Bernie, looks like I made the right decision by going to watch Stafford Rangers.

if nothing else, the game was full of incident!

bookings galore, penalties, red cards,

2nd half we played well, i really enjoyed bits of it, and would have loved to have spoilt the barnsley party. they're joy really rubbed salt into the wounds, showing what a poor division it is, and how embarrassing it is to come bottom

The Tyke

Sun May 07, 2006 12:08 am

We love you Barnsley, we do.

BJ

Sun May 07, 2006 12:22 am

Lets have a dose of realiasm.

In the first half we were awful.

In the second we were pretty good.

The substitutions worked well and the Tykes, if they are honest, will know that they were lucky to win and while they were compact, well organised and generally useful, they are nothing special and will struggle if they go up - which i don't think they will. We played well today.

sean511
UTS Regular

Sun May 07, 2006 7:57 am

The pitch invasion was quality and the Barnsley fans were friendly enough. I still think we were robbed of a point but the season's over now so lets just look forward to next year.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun May 07, 2006 8:14 am

BJ wrote:Lets have a dose of realiasm.

The substitutions worked well and the Tykes, if they are honest, will know that they were lucky to win and while they were compact, well organised and generally useful, they are nothing special and will struggle if they go up - which i don't think they will. We played well today.

Agree completely.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ey-report/

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 07, 2006 9:13 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
BJ wrote:Lets have a dose of realiasm.

Agree completely.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ey-report/

Me too.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun May 07, 2006 9:30 am

Watching complete tripe for the last five months seems to have made some of us lower our standards concerning what is an reasonable standard of performance.

The second half yesterday was entertaining certainly. The atmosphere was helped by: speed on both our wings; three thousand Barnsley fans; a crazy referee; two penalty decisions and end of season euphoria.

I enjoyed the second half but that does not mean that we played well. How many chances did we make? Did their goalkeeper make a save? What was created by midfield? Were we tight in defence? Did we win?

We were at home. We lost. We clearly deserved to lose. If it had been four nil in the first half we could not have complained. Barnsley were the better team in the second - partly because of Roper's sending off, but he cannot be blameless about getting involved when already on a yellow card.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 am

Well for some strange reason I can't wait for next season (honest!). I'm just so glad this season is over because for me its been the worst ever, even worse than Barnwell/Hibbitt etc.

Good to hear the WM guys giving Merson a roasting yesterday, well done Daz Hale.

Here's to the future, division 4 and a few pints isn't going to be that bad?

Forget the world cup, I just can't wait to stop moaning and get behind the lads come August.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun May 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Bernie wrote:Watching complete tripe for the last five months seems to have made some of us lower our standards concerning what is an reasonable standard of performance.

The second half yesterday was entertaining certainly. The atmosphere was helped by: speed on both our wings; three thousand Barnsley fans; a crazy referee; two penalty decisions and end of season euphoria.

I enjoyed the second half but that does not mean that we played well. How many chances did we make? Did their goalkeeper make a save? What was created by midfield? Were we tight in defence? Did we win?

We were at home. We lost. We clearly deserved to lose. If it had been four nil in the first half we could not have complained. Barnsley were the better team in the second - partly because of Roper's sending off, but he cannot be blameless about getting involved when already on a yellow card.

Perfectly put.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun May 07, 2006 1:34 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Well for some strange reason I can't wait for next season (honest!). I'm just so glad this season is over because for me its been the worst ever, even worse than Barnwell/Hibbitt etc.

Good to hear the WM guys giving Merson a roasting yesterday, well done Daz Hale.

Forget the world cup, I just can't wait to stop moaning and get behind the lads come August.

Yeh I heard hale on WM after the game - it's just a shame he and his collegues couldn't see the wood for the trees when he was our manager. If it's taken the lowest of the low - a pathetic swipe at fans, for the likes of Hale to work out what type of person he is - it doesn't say much for his judgement does it.

Really entertaining game - certainly one of the most entertaining games at bescot this season - we still didnt play that well, barrowman, taylor and wright were conference standard, if that - but the second half we showed some fight, and what a response from the fans - at last. It was a brilliant atmosphere, I haven't sung or shouted that much in ages. It just shows how when the team are trying, and showing passion - the fans will more than match it. However, in the games where we rolled over and let opponents beat us, atmosphere would never be sustained as the players just couldnt be arsed.

I wasn't bothered about the result too much, just glad that there seemed to be some 1. sense to play with two out and out wingers [for the first time in how long?], and 2. passion and pride from the players.

I thought when we were awarded a penalty, their chap should have received an automatic red as it was a goal scoring oppurtunity - but he only got a yellow, then to rub salt in the wound, at the other end, the ref was giving equal punishment to silly little challenges.

Does anyone know how mark wright got injured? It wasn't when he wimped out of that 65:35 [in his favour] challenge was it? that one where a bit of commitment would have seen him past all but two defenders and in acres of space? He looked hurt then? If it was then it serves him right, you should always go in to challenges 100%. It's when you go in 60% that you get hurt. I'm sorry to go on about Wright, but he is probably the worst player ive ever seen play regularly for us - we can talk about the likes of Larossa, Bica, Carlos Andre, but Wright has been a regular this and last season without ever showing why he deserves to be a regular - he certainly doesnt get stuck in, his delivery success is below 20%, his position sense is terrible, and when defending - he might aswell not be there for the amount of times he's nudged off the ball, strolled round and beaten in the air.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sun May 07, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Well for some strange reason I can't wait for next season (honest!). I'm just so glad this season is over because for me its been the worst ever, even worse than Barnwell/Hibbitt etc.

Completely agree.

What did Hale say then?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm

The Tyke wrote:We love you Barnsley, we do.

Were you at the game? If so, can we have some honest, objective opinions on our team please? A lot of us disagree about certain players, would be nice to see who you thought stood out as being good or bad.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 07, 2006 1:47 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Completely agree.

What did Hale say then?

He kept saying how he'd lost respect for Merson after what he said about the fans. He then went on to be refreshingly frank [for a wm presenter] and said that walsall's troubles have come during and immediately after his tenure as manager and hence shouldnt blame everyone around him, and perhaps look at himself in the mirror.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun May 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:[
What did Hale say then?

During the game he said something along the lines of- Merson was being cheap. He had no right to criticise the fans who showed by the support in the second half yesterday that they were perfectly willing to get behind the team when the team seemed to be putting in the effort & at least giving the fans something to shout about. How can the fans be expected to be upbeat when we were bottom of the league? Suggested that Merson had provided little for the fans to show their support. He said look at the Barnsley fans - they've been given something to shout about unlike what Merson had provided. He seemed totally dismissive of Merson.

Think that was the gist if not the exact words.
Dont know what he said after the game.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 07, 2006 4:14 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:[
What did Hale say then?

During the game he said something along the lines of- Merson was being cheap. He had no right to criticise the fans who showed by the support in the second half yesterday that they were perfectly willing to get behind the team when the team seemed to be putting in the effort & at least giving the fans something to shout about. How can the fans be expected to be upbeat when we were bottom of the league? Suggested that Merson had provided little for the fans to show their support. He said look at the Barnsley fans - they've been given something to shout about unlike what Merson had provided. He seemed totally dismissive of Merson.

Think that was the gist if not the exact words.
Dont know what he said after the game.

Fantastic. Daz Hale has gone up in my estimation.

I also have to say when I had my rant on WM on the phone in when the Merson interview was played he let me have my say and didn't cut me off short and tried to interupt with his own opinions like Franks always does.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun May 07, 2006 7:37 pm

I have to agree Re: Daz Hale. I'm told he also refered to Wolves fans as Dingles. Well said Daz. I feel you're beginning to see the light, and the Saddlers are waiting to warmly welcome you as a convert.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:I have to agree Re: Daz Hale. I'm told he also refered to Wolves fans as Dingles. Well said Daz. I feel you're beginning to see the light, and the Saddlers are waiting to warmly welcome you as a convert.

Pigs do actually fly then!

amazing red

Sun May 07, 2006 11:33 pm

Building bridges then :wink:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 am

The thing is with Merson he played on the "nice bloke, media friendly" stuff that he's good at. However, as we all know he isn't a nice bloke, and he's shown himself up to be actually quite a bitter and vindictive little man who lives in a fantasy world that revolves around himself. I can understand how the media sucked up to him, because he was good copy and made their job easier, but the truth wil always out with people like him.

machew
UTS Regular

Mon May 08, 2006 1:30 pm

Daz Hale did indeed refer to Wolves as the Dingles.

Did anyone see the Roper incident cos my eyes were following the play ?

Ditto an incident with Ishy ?

S.MURPHY

Mon May 08, 2006 2:30 pm

daz is one of wolves biggest fans ( not literally) and goes everywhere to watch them when he can. probably trying to get some browny points with us.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon May 08, 2006 3:08 pm

machew wrote:Daz Hale did indeed refer to Wolves as the Dingles.

Did anyone see the Roper incident cos my eyes were following the play ?

You can see part of it on the highlights on the OS.

Roper and their player went up for the ball and roper got an elbow in the face.
You couldn't really see what Roper did because the camera was just panning away.

The Tyke

Mon May 08, 2006 5:47 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
The Tyke wrote:We love you Barnsley, we do.

Were you at the game? If so, can we have some honest, objective opinions on our team please? A lot of us disagree about certain players, would be nice to see who you thought stood out as being good or bad.

Indeed I was at the game.

First half, I dont think one player on your team deserved to be wearing your shirt, you were *ing awful.
Gerrard was particularly awful, In my opingion, as was Pead.

All in all a dismal first half for Walsall.

You cam back fighting though Ishe was very dangerous and Oakes made a cracker of a save.

Ian Roper, was pretty good. He gave away a few silly balls but gave nothing away in the air. There were a few words at the train station about him being perfect for us, lol. He was a thorn in our side, beating Barnsleys players in the air almost every time. Deserved MOTM and was unlucky to get drawn into the scrap that got him dismissed.

You were better than us for the first half of the second half, with a pretty equal performance after Roper's dismissal.

As for Barnsley, we had a great first half, Shuker made a complete mockery of your defence and was the best player of the half.

Richards had a couple of chances, finally scoring around half an hour in.

1-0 at half time did not reflect our superiority and Walsall's inferiority.

Second half, and as usual, we fell to sleep. Sloppy play, crappy passes, rubbish control. Typical Barnsley.

Goodness knows how many scraps there were on the pitch but it was getting a bit silly. Roper was unlucky to get sent off, and you could see his frustration as he exited for his early shower.

All in all a good match. I am very pleased with the turnout, Its been a long time since ive seen so many Barnsley fans at an away match.

All the fans are raring to go for the Playoffs, the atmosphere at the train station was great, all the fans very confident.

I wish walsall the best of luck next season.... you're going to need it;)

Edited - Language

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon May 08, 2006 8:47 pm

machew wrote:Did anyone see the Roper incident cos my eyes were following the play ?

Roper jumped with his arm across (Richards?), nothing out of the ordinary though. As they went onto the floor together, Richards was holding Ropers arm across himself and was dragging him by and got tangled up. They got up Richards pushed him with his hands raised. Roper didn't do anything that time worthy of a yellow.

Ishy, I thought I was the only person who saw that incident, no one around me did. He'd got bought down and no foul was given, their bloke ran past him when the ball was in the other half, Ishy jumped at his ankles! Which is when he was down for ages.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 pm

The Tyke wrote:I wish walsall the best of luck next season.... you're going to need it;)

The same applies to you in the playoffs.

machew
UTS Regular

Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
machew wrote:Did anyone see the Roper incident cos my eyes were following the play ?

Roper jumped with his arm across (Richards?), nothing out of the ordinary though. As they went onto the floor together, Richards was holding Ropers arm across himself and was dragging him by and got tangled up. They got up Richards pushed him with his hands raised. Roper didn't do anything that time worthy of a yellow.

Ishy, I thought I was the only person who saw that incident, no one around me did. He'd got bought down and no foul was given, their bloke ran past him when the ball was in the other half, Ishy jumped at his ankles! Which is when he was down for ages.

A two footed tackle when the ball was in the other half ??? That is a seriously late challenge - even for a Ishy

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season