Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (H) 22/04/06 Relegation Party

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
amazing red

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:08 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Who's the avatar WMTG?

:shock: :wink:

Who moved the goalposts?

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:07 pm

No idea mate, just a pair of random breasts I found on the net. Nice all the same.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:

No idea mate, just a pair of random breasts I found on the net. Nice all the same.

Indeed. Plenty to aim for. :shock:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:05 am

Referee for this one is MR KEITH STROUD

In the games (8 I think) he has refereed this season he has given out 3 red cards and 38 yellows. Ishmel better watch himself. :shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:19 am

1-0 to us. Claridge to score in the 74th minute before being immediately substituted. :?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 am

bigste

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 pm

i would like to say a win to the saddlers, but like some on here i belive we are down. i think most of the team have given in to the fact that we will be relegated.

Que pitch invasion and a mass bonser out protest!!!

Pelsall_Saddler

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Ay Stroud a Premiership referee?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Can't be arsed with a prediction. I just feel empty, unenthused, and very, very, fed up with it all. (is it possible to feel empty and fed up at the same time?)

amazing red

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:09 am

Salop Saddler wrote:Can't be arsed with a prediction. I just feel empty, unenthused, and very, very, fed up with it all. (is it possible to feel empty and fed up at the same time?)

this season yes :!:

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:29 am

Bristol City beat us 3-0 playing at half pace , with reserve strikers when they had nothing to play for so I dread to think what Huddersfield will do to us going for promotion with a couple of the best forwards in the division.

if they score fairly early we could be well and truly hammered.I'd love to be proved wrong but I reckon its a 3-1 or 4-1 defeat (and no , I've no idea who is gonna get our 1) :cry:

Mrs Cheese

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:35 am

I'm that confident about what will happen today, that I'm going to the gym for a few hours instead. Gonna work out instead of getting worked up!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 pm

0-1
Here we go- should I go out in garden & start a Bonser Out chant?

W.F.C TIL I DIE

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:23 pm

same old cack :evil: :cry:

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:35 pm

0-2 now.

georgies best

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:37 pm

rotherham have just equalised so that is it then!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Out of our misery!

Northants Saddler

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Its over

Roy Orbison

LankeySaddler

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:59 pm

Bonser has got a lot to answer for - of course he won't and I doubt we will ever see a statement from him! Unfortunately all I can see happening at the moment is us doing a Tourquay and ending up in the conference!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:07 pm

If ever a club deserved to go down, it is us. From Bonser right through to the players, via the one man catastrophe that is Paul Merson. You reap what you sow.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:07 pm

Left after that twerp was sent off. 4-3-1-2 ay? I seem to recall that we called for Merson's head for something like that.

Bonser's a c***, plain and simple. Broadhurst is a cheap chimp who's got a couple of badges, so f****** what? F*** Merson, f*** Broadhurst, f*** the players, but above all, f*** that maingey c*** Bonser.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:17 pm

But what do you really think, Salop?

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Utter shite. No movement after Timm went off injured, no direction in the passing - Birmingham Airport had to change their flight paths.

Our best midfielder, Osborn, was taken off with half an hour left - and yet Keates, the headless chicken is allowed to stay on. How? Is Broadhurst scared the fans might boo? That's going to happen anyway, so you might as well take the waste of space off, instead of the touch of class. People like Keates only because he is a Walsall lad...no other reason. Team Captain, my arse. Can't pass, can't tackle, Won't pass, won't tackle. If he was a normal Merson signing, he'd be heckled every week. And yet pre-pubescent chavs chant 'Deano' in an even higher pitched voice than their hero every time he gets within 5 yards of the ball after an attempted tackle. Yes, he tries...and everyone loves a trier...but he's all sh!t. He'll fit in well next year.

As for Westwood, well word's can't describe what a joke he is. Club Captain? Again, my arse. A stupid sending off, and rightly booed off. This is a bloke with 10 years experience behind him, not a rash kid like Gerrard or Fox. What has he contributed this season? 3 goals, and a maximum of 5 good games. Don't forget to point the way to League Two, Westy - it seems that is the only thing you can do right.

Gerrard and Fox were poor...again. Fox didn't work as a wing back the two times he's tried it before, what made Broadhurst think it might be third time lucky. Neither are bothered...but again, for some reason, the fans seem to love them.

Pead was poor. But again, he's not a wing back. Fox does have more defence for his poor performance than Pead though...I've never seen a player kill so many counter attacks as Pead did today. Despite being right footed, he was always looking to come inside. Why? We are narrow enough as it is.

Claridge did all the donkey work, but unfortunately, from what we've seen in the last month...that is all he is - a donkey. He's finished, but I doubt that is helped by being on a late night football show the night before a crucial game. Cracking preperation.
I thought Constable worked very hard. He had no support from midfield other than from Timm, James and Osborn.

Broadhurst's tactics were found wanting YET AGAIN. He is a weak manager, who clearly can't stand up to the attitudes in the dressing room. All he had to do to get fan's on side was to publicly speak out against the player's who didn't want to play. Instead he wished Devlin all the best for the future, and gave the others a tap on the wrist. In a different way, he's just as weak as Merson.

Broadhurst out, and Bonser out. And then, maybe, our football club can move forward. But lets be fair, we've all seen Scat that looks better than our prospects at the minute.

walsall_fc_matt

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:41 pm

KB is just another puppet for Bonser. He is a YES man

London Saddler

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:53 pm

We have finally been put out of our misery. Relegation to division 4(or whatever they call it these days) is confirmed. The league table actually flatters us. We should have been relegated ages ago and would have been if Matty and Jorge had not been there for 1st half of season. This team will go down for me the WORST WALSALL TEAM I HAVE SEEN AT THIS LEVEL. At least it will be a season that no one will ever forget. The sheer unbelievable pathetic incompetence both on and off the pitch will be remembered for decades to come by fans. We will refer to it as remember THAT SEASON under the Circus Ringmaster(Bonser), the Superclown(Merse) and Mr Joke Nobody(Broadhurst) and use it as a reference to measure progress or disasters in future seasons

The fact we have been relegated in a division where the standard has probably been the worst ever seen at this level just gives an insight to actually how rubbish, shambolic and utter super crap we actually are. Look at today. We faced a Huddersfield team who are supposedly one of the best teams in the division. They were ordinary, yet like every team that has played us, they looked like Brazil and should have won by 6 or 7. Huddersfield had just lost at home to Chesterfield. Their last 3 away games were Bournemouth(drew), Gillingham(lost) and Hartlepool(lost). Any struggling team apart from us would have beaten them. But we all knew that this team had as much chance of winning as there is of the Loch Ness Monster being found in one of the Walsall canals

Defensively we were garbage, just as we have been for last 3 years. Oakes had one of his Allen Mckinght days. Apart from 1 good save from a one one on, he was awful, flaping at everything. Back to his one good game, one average game followed by 1 rubbish game that he has averaged in his Walsall career. With Leary on the bench, Fox had no competition as the worst player on the pitch and he duly oblighed. Non existent defending, out of position regularly, hoofing the ball anywhere- the WORST LEFT BACK I HAVE EVER SEEN AT THE CLUB. Gerrard tried yet looked short of confidence. Mills was the pick of a bad bunch. Westwood deserved to be sent off for his foul and has been a huge joke ever since he has come to the club. Pead did his usual. Gave 100% and yet again continued to look like a non league player. Every time he got the ball on the right wing, he did not have the ability to do anything except come on the inside and lose the ball or pass it backwards

The midfield actually(compared to their usual hoof hoof) tried to pass the ball around. But failed miserably and as always were outfought, outhought and outplayed. Keates will be relieved. He looks so out of his depth but next season he will be at his level. His ability was summed up at kick off when Claridge kicked off, gave it to Keates who kicked the ball straight out horizontally for a throw. I would have Smith any day as our left sided player rather than Keates or Kris Taylor. Osbourne tried to get things going. Why was he substituted for Ronaldinho(Leary)? I assume he was injured, but with Mr Joke Nobody, you never know. Madds Timm did his usual. Tried some fancy touches, usually managed to beat a man and then ended by either falling over or passing final ball to opposition. At least the other loanees have managed to have 1 decent game each before reverting to their pathetic reserve team useless standard that they are. Madds Timm has not even managed 1 decent 90 mins for us. He went of half way through the 1st half injured. James when he came on looked dangerous and next season i would have James ahead of Wright, Taylor or Wrack on the right wing

But its not all doom and gloom. At least we managed to keep up our average of having 1 shot on goal per game(the goal we scored today)!!! As usual, apart from that, the Huddersfield keeper didnt have a save to make. Constable did nothing. The worrying thing about Grandad(Claridge) is that he has played several games for us now giving 100% and yet has actually looked less threatening than Larossa!!! In all the games, he has managed only 2 half shot, soft efforts on goal

Fans were great as usual. They tried to get behind the team but had nothing to cheer and in the end having to put up as usual with the opposition fans doing oles as their team made us look stupid. By the end, plenty of them were chanting against the Circus Ringmaster and there was some sort of protest after the game. Ever since Mr Joke Nobody took over, i have been leaving 10-15 mins before the end and judging by the traffic jam to get out of Bescot, i am not the only one! Since January, i have been following the results of teams like Leyton Orient to work out how many away games in or around London i will be able to attend next season. Thats how desperate i became and how convinced i was since January that relegation and bottom of the table was a formality

But we had all better enjoy days like today. Because we wont see such big crowds(Huddersfield bought quite a lot) again for a long time. Playing weekly in front of 2-3000 is what the Circus Ringmaster deserves. And we had better enjoy playing against the likes of Huddersfield as we wont be back at this level for a long time. I can see Accrington and Rochdale hitting us for 4 or 5 every week. In fact what has happened today is as good as its gets. We had better enjoy it as IT IS GOING TO GET WORSE...MUCH WORSE

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:25 pm

"I can look myself in the mirror and know that I gave it my best shot" Kevan Broadhurst April 22nd 2006.

Plain and simple it was not good enough, please take your name from the managers door and clear your desk. Your record is atrocious, and the football we have witnessed in our battle against relegation has been diabolical. We have gone from one clown who changed teams and formations weekly to another. Your substitutions are mind boggling and the final assessment can only be tha you have not got a clue.

I would like to put a quote down for Jeff Bonser, but the silence from the club is a disgrace.

I would agree with most of what Jorge 14 put down, especially Keates, what a waste of space. Chris Westwood was on WM prior to the match proclaiming how it is the players that can dig the club out of this mess as no matter what the manager says it is up to them to put a performance in on the pitch. Well Mr Westwood I hope that by tomorrow you are in recepit of you P45. Club captain, and sent off in that manner in such an important game. What a tosser.

Not a jot to play for for the next two games, I would be so tempted to tell a lot of these players that they will not be here next season, but simply most won't as they are loan signings!!! I think we should scrap player of the season and offer up which player deserves a good kicking for the season, could be belting half-time entertainment!!! :shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:52 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Our best midfielder, Osborn, was taken off with half an hour left - and yet Keates, the headless chicken is allowed to stay on. How? Is Broadhurst scared the fans might boo? That's going to happen anyway, so you might as well take the waste of space off, instead of the touch of class. People like Keates only because he is a Walsall lad...no other reason. Team Captain, my arse. Can't pass, can't tackle, Won't pass, won't tackle. If he was a normal Merson signing, he'd be heckled every week. And yet pre-pubescent chavs chant 'Deano' in an even higher pitched voice than their hero every time he gets within 5 yards of the ball after an attempted tackle. Yes, he tries...and everyone loves a trier...but he's all sh!t. He'll fit in well next year.

Gerrard and Fox were poor...again. Fox didn't work as a wing back the two times he's tried it before, what made Broadhurst think it might be third time lucky. Neither are bothered...but again, for some reason, the fans seem to love them.

Pead was poor. But again, he's not a wing back. Fox does have more defence for his poor performance than Pead though...I've never seen a player kill so many counter attacks as Pead did today. Despite being right footed, he was always looking to come inside. Why? We are narrow enough as it is.

I agree with you about Osborn & Keates. Why we ever signed Keates, I'll never know.
I think you're being a little harsh on Gerrard although he has been a shadow of his former self in recent games. Fox was awful. His fitness is at an all time low & his attitude is dreadful, which is a shame when you think back to how good he was in the first half of the season. Also, shouting abuse at one of your own fans is not a particularly good idea. :roll:

I totally disagree about Pead. Keates gives him the ball out wide and then just runs away. We haven't got the liveliest pair of strikers I've ever seen and he had nobody playing in front of him - therefore, he has no choice but to come inside. The same applies for the whole team. A player receives the ball and they have one option of where to pass it at the most. A total contrast to every team we've played at home during Broadhursts reign as manager. Huddersfield kept the ball from us for three whole minutes at the start of the second half. We're lucky if we can keep the ball for three seconds.

I'd get rid of all the loan players right now apart from Smith and Mills if there's a chance we'll be able to sign them. Frankly, I'd rather see the likes of Scott Dann & Mark Bradley given a chance than watch a bunch of players who couldn't care less.

Tez66

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:58 pm

I agree, no point in playing any of the sh@t players for the last two matches, get rid now and give someone who wants to play for us the opportunity. There's now pressure now and the fans realise where the balme and focus for our downfall should be. They can't do any worse can they?

Mrs Cheese

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:00 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: Fox was awful. His fitness is at an all time low & his attitude is dreadful, which is a shame when you think back to how good he was in the first half of the season. Also, shouting abuse at one of your own fans is not a particularly good idea. :roll:

Obviously a skill learnt from his mentor, PM. I remember being at an away game earlier in the season where Merse was playing & someone shouted at him for being lazy, he just turned around, flicked the V's and shouted f**k off into the crowd. I couldnt help myself & had to retort that "we pay your wages you lazy B*****d!" Not a very lady like thing for me to do, but hey, it had to be said.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:16 pm

Well, today isn't what sent us down, it was always going to be a tough game against a top team, it was 0-3 at Bristol and 0-5 at Brentford and all the rest of them that sent us down.

Broadhurst's reign can be summed up by how we conceded our first goal - we had three players standing within a foot of each other around the centre circle, and the other seven outfield players standing in an exact line along the 18-yard box. None of them thought it necessary to try to approach the ball and win it.

Not much point talking about the game. We're rubbish, we've been rubbish all season, we thoroughly deserve to go down and it would be a dream come true if I never set eyes on any of those players again.

On the day we were relegated, Paul Merson was on Football Focus shaking his head at Arsene Wenger's team selection vs Spurs - "crazy" he called it. Thanks Paul, for everything.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season