Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (H) 22/04/06 Relegation Party

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:58 pm

Maybe if Fox wasn't on 30 a day, his fitness levels might be a little higher.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:07 am

Play the youth team for the last two games and lets get an idea of how good they are because they'll be playing next season when the wage bill is cut...again.

Any senior player who doesn't like it can f*** off now.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:28 am

Match reaction.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... arty-over/

Credits? Osborn. Mills. Gerrard. The rest? rubbish.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Play the youth team for the last two games and lets get an idea of how good they are because they'll be playing next season when the wage bill is cut...again.

Any senior player who doesn't like it can f*** off now.

With Barnsley still going for promotion, it would be unfair on the other teams if we didn't play our strongest squad, so ..........

........ hmm-m-m-m, on reflection, you're right MMF, play the youth team. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:47 am

This morning I'm asking myself "is it worth the time to comment on the match" and maybe not, but I'll have a go.

When we first went behind, I thought it was unfortunate, they had not looked like scoring any more than us, and then this speculative shot beats Oakes, and here we go again on rhe slippery slope to defeat. We know when we go behind we don't/can't come back, so that was game over really.

On WM they described it as a 20 yard shot. Well no, we should send them a tape-measure, 20 yards is 2 yards outside the penalty area, and this was more like 12 yards outside or 30 yards in all. The shot was firm but not all that hard, and I agree with you Neil, Oakes should have got to it if he'd been concentrating on the play in front of him. He's a big tall lad so has lots of reach so to think, in the time he had to see that shot coming, he could not stretch himself to at least tip it around the post, well it defies belief to me to be honest. I blame the defence for not closing the scorer down, but at that range the main culprit for me is Oakes through his lack of positioning.

I wasn't much-impressed by the opposition, though clearly they were far more mobile than us up front. Even so, they struggled to get the better of us until quite some time after we were reduced to ten men.

Up front for us, Claridge busied himself but I lost count of the times he held out his arms in frustration or disbelief, mainly towards Constable, who clearly has no pace, hasn't a clue where to make runs either with the ball or to receive it, how to beat a man, and in particular how to score from 2 yards out. His reactions are as slow as anyone we've had up front in ages, for me he can go, and let's bring in a youngster for the last two games, 'cos the alternative - Barrowman - is equally useless.

I've watched Constable carefully these last few games - I hoped he would come good - but the more I look at him, the more I see a boxer rather than a footballer, can't quite put my finger on why that is, but that's my opinion. I don't even think he's worth keeping for Division 4, though if we nurture him in the reserves next season, he may be OK for us in the Conference in 2007/08 !

I've saved my final comments for our revered club captain - Captain Disgraceful. Needing a win, and still in with a slight shout even though up against (overall) marginally superior opponents, he showed all the experience and self-control of a bully with an ASBO confronted by the spotty-faced posh kid showing-off his new state-of-the-art top of the range mobile phone/MP3 player in the school playground. If that is the action of a responsible club captain, then I'm a giraffe!

I guess it's an automatic 3-game ban, so he can't play again this season and he'll have to miss game one of next season as well. Get rid, get rid NOW! Any last microscopic chance of saving ourselves disappeared in that moment of sheer stupidity - I could scarcely believe my eyes as I witnessed such actions from a player whose job includes setting an example to the the players that he captains.

Had he stayed on, who knows, but for sure it was purely down to his absence that Huddersfield found the space they had failed to find earlier, and applied the 'coup-de-grace' with those two late goals.

Plus points :

(1) I got the score right for the first time in a good while - I even said ours would be an own-goal - and as far as I'm concerned it was, because without that crazy deflection, Leary's feeble shot would surely never have ended up in the net. Sod the papers, I'm claiming it ! :D
(2) We won't be "put down" by Gillingham next week. After the cheating b******s contrived with Sjoke to do that to us two years ago, it would have been too much to bear.
(3) I won't have to waste time over the summer scanning the papers to see what desirable signings are coming our way - there won't be ANY !

I'd like to say I'm gutted, I'd like to say I hurt this morning, but I can't. The best I can manage is mild disappointment and a feeling of total resignation about a situation that is totally, TOTALLY, self-inflicted by Jeff Bonser's appalling neglect of Walsall FC since the latter part of 2003.

I blame him entirely for failing to support CL to sign replacements after we lost loan players Chris Baird, Jamie Vincent & Gary O'Neill in 2003.
I don't blame him at all for appointing Merson - with hindsight maybe, but that's rather unfair.
I blame him entirely for persisting with Merson beyond Slough & Colchester 2004.
I blame him entirely for again continuing with Merson beyond November or maybe December 2005. The writing was on the wall, I had warned of relegation in October - though I was not the only one of course.
I blame him entirely for allowing Fryatt to leave for a pittance in January, and not allowing any of the money to be used to fund a replacement.
I blame him entirely for the premature loss of Jorge, and for allowing PM to lie to us about the situation - home-sick, had to let him go, rubbish - and Jorge himself has now spoken on the subject, proving that is was just cost-cutting AGAIN!
I blame him entirely for failing to make funds available from the sale of Julian Bennett, and from compensation from the Irish FA for the release of Steve Staunton.
I blame him entirely for failing to make funds available from the sale of the hotel land to Ramada.
I blame him entirely for delaying the removal of Merson at least 15 months beyond the proper time.
I blame him entirely for the appointment of KB, another second-rate manager, another cheapskate appointment.

I could go on, and on, and on ............... :twisted:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:10 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Up front for us, Claridge busied himself but I lost count of the times he held out his arms in frustration or disbelief, mainly towards Constable, who clearly has no pace, hasn't a clue where to make runs either with the ball or to receive it, how to beat a man, and in particular how to score from 2 yards out. His reactions are as slow as anyone we've had up front in ages, for me he can go, and let's bring in a youngster for the last two games, 'cos the alternative - Barrowman - is equally useless.

I've watched Constable carefully these last few games - I hoped he would come good - but the more I look at him, the more I see a boxer rather than a footballer, can't quite put my finger on why that is, but that's my opinion. I don't even think he's worth keeping for Division 4, though if we nurture him in the reserves next season, he may be OK for us in the Conference in 2007/08 !

Halleluiah! It's not just me! Constable can't make a run, doesn't know when to go and when not to and continually "drops off" his defender on crosses, hoping for a mistake, rather than trying to get in front of his man. He is a non league striker at best and what Merson saw in him, I can't imagine.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:36 am

Excellent post Geoff and absolutely spot on.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:01 pm

Geoff, I thought of that yesterday - where you said about the hotel land. Over the years, we'd paid rent on that slice of land, yet when it was sold off, did we see any of the revenue? Did we balls.

DawleyDick

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:52 pm

What was the gate yesterday? Huddersfield must have brought at least 2000.

Guest Saddler

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:58 pm

As you should all know by now, anything of a financial nature involving Walsall FC "assets" will inevitably also involve the JW Bonser Self Interested Personal Pension Plan.

From the accounts y/e 31/5/2004 :

"During the year the company (WFC) sold an area of the land covered by the long lease back to the above (the JW Bonser Self Interested Personal Pension Plan) for consideration of £400,000."

The 31/5/2005 accounts show a similar transaction in the sum of £120,000.

It is a fairly safe bet that the land concerned is the land on which the hotel is currently being built.

The details of any subsequent transaction between the JWBSIPPP and Ramada are yet to be established......

amazing red

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:58 pm

DawleyDick wrote:What was the gate yesterday? Huddersfield must have brought at least 2000.

around 5,500

Hednesfordred

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:32 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Up front for us, Claridge busied himself but I lost count of the times he held out his arms in frustration or disbelief, mainly towards Constable, who clearly has no pace, hasn't a clue where to make runs either with the ball or to receive it, how to beat a man, and in particular how to score from 2 yards out. His reactions are as slow as anyone we've had up front in ages, for me he can go, and let's bring in a youngster for the last two games, 'cos the alternative - Barrowman - is equally useless.

Halleluiah! It's not just me! Constable can't make a run, doesn't know when to go and when not to and continually "drops off" his defender on crosses, hoping for a mistake, rather than trying to get in front of his man. He is a non league striker at best and what Merson saw in him, I can't imagine.

Neil, it is not only you. I cannot understand all this crap about the fact that he works hard & is a natural finisher. Is he bollox, Fryatt is a natural finisher, and Constable is not fit to lace his boots.

What Merson saw in him was the fact that some other teams were watching him, bet they are laughing their nuts off now !!!

UTS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:55 pm

Hednesfordred wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Neil, it is not only you. I cannot understand all this crap about the fact that he works hard & is a natural finisher. Is he bollox, Fryatt is a natural finisher, and Constable is not fit to lace his boots.

What Merson saw in him was the fact that some other teams were watching him, bet they are laughing their nuts off now !!!

UTS

I think he is awful.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:01 pm

He's non league player who isn't getting any decent coaching. You buy players from non league to improve them by using professional coaches that non league clubs can't afford.

We don't have such coaches so he hasn't progressed. Blame Merson/Broadhurst for having all these player coaches instead of getting an experienced coach to progress the young players we have.

He is worth sticking with. There were a few times yesterday when PEad had the ball and it was crying out for Constable (or Claridge) to run wide to receive the ball but the didn't leaving Pead with no options then getting the blame from fans for losing possession.

Football is a simple game. Pass and move into space There are just no runs being made from any player to receive the ball which is why we can't keep possession. It should be something a manager can spot and do something about.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Football is a simple game. Pass and move into space There are just no runs being made from any player to receive the ball which is why we can't keep possession. It should be something a manager can spot and do something about.

That's why I get so annoyed with Keates and Leary. Whilst we don't have the ball they are running around like headless chickens, and more often than not give away ridiculous fouls - but when we have the ball, they stand still and expect the ball to be played to their feet. Osborn and Smith are the only central midfielders we have who are capable of influencing a game...if we lose those two next season, then we might as well consign ourselves to a season (if under Broadhurst) of our full backs knocking long balls for non-existent target men.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:31 pm

DawleyDick wrote:What was the gate yesterday? Huddersfield must have brought at least 2000.

It wont have been 2000, the homesevre stand holds 1,914, and they didnt quite fill that, and there were about 50 fans in the banks, so probably 1,800 in total

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:02 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:He's non league player who isn't getting any decent coaching. You buy players from non league to improve them by using professional coaches that non league clubs can't afford.

We don't have such coaches so he hasn't progressed. Blame Merson/Broadhurst for having all these player coaches instead of getting an experienced coach to progress the young players we have.

He is worth sticking with. There were a few times yesterday when PEad had the ball and it was crying out for Constable (or Claridge) to run wide to receive the ball but the didn't leaving Pead with no options then getting the blame from fans for losing possession.

Football is a simple game. Pass and move into space There are just no runs being made from any player to receive the ball which is why we can't keep possession. It should be something a manager can spot and do something about.

Very well said. It shouldn't be forgotton that Kevan 'I'm the man for the job' Broadhurst has had the time to put his coaching badges to use, not just with Constable, but with the rest of them. He's admitted he can't do it by having to tailor things to the needs of the players. Pathetic, I say. So I don't blame Constable, whatever his shortcomings. The kids come into a 'professional' football club with the ethos and workings of a parks league team.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:05 pm

I'd disagree completely about Constable. IF he's going to be good enough (which I doubt), there is no way he would have been ready until next season. Broadhurst has had nothing like enough time yet to coach him. It's hardly an instant process.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Yes he has. A quarter of a season in terms of games. Training twice a day as I understand it. Plus he was the self proclaimed man for the job.

Though with regards to Constable, as I said, he got shortcomings, and probably is no more than average.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'd disagree completely about Constable. IF he's going to be good enough (which I doubt), there is no way he would have been ready until next season. Broadhurst has had nothing like enough time yet to coach him. It's hardly an instant process.

Instant process? IMO Constable will never make a decent player, he's got non-league stamped all over him as has Keates, both are dire

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

It wont have been 2000, the homesevre stand holds 1,914, and they didnt quite fill that, and there were about 50 fans in the banks, so probably 1,800 in total

You're probably right phil, but even so that means well under 4,000 of our fans in the crowd.

Not surprising, given the utter garbage we've been served these last three months, and very worrying for our chances of seeing JB spend any money to help keep us out of the Conference in another year's time.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:03 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You're probably right phil, but even so that means well under 4,000 of our fans in the crowd.

Not surprising, given the utter garbage we've been served these last three months, and very worrying for our chances of seeing JB spend any money to help keep us out of the Conference in another year's time.

All this talk of the The Conference....my God, what have we come to.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season