Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster (A) 17/04/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 pm

amazing red wrote:
futuresobright wrote:Claridge is the worst of the forwards. He runs about...so what...his final touch is a pass to the deepest defender available. At least Barrowman and Constable miss chances. The three of them make Birch seem world class.

:lol:

You're joking surely :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:24 pm

"Broadhurst has taken us to bottom of the league, and it is not a very good league"

That is absolutly correct Toe Joe Jnr. Broadhurst is as big a twerp as Merson, and in terms of twerp, is on a par with that disgusting specimin Bonser.

Sedgleysaddler

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:29 pm

I am not a regular poster on here, but i've just got back from Donny, and i just feel ashamed of another shambles of a so called performance. Most the players have just given up, we are in freefall and i just wish our players would show the same passion and commitment as us.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 pm

ahh just got back from donny, here is my assesment ; total complete and utter shambles.

there we go, that was hard.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:38 pm

I didnt go today and didnt hear the report either, just came on to say. We are dooooooooooooomed.

Thanks Jeff and Paul Merson for killing everything that SIR RAY and LORD LEE started.

I hate our chairman and the sooner he f**** off the better.

Hello League 2.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:54 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:ahh just got back from donny, here is my assesment ; total complete and utter shambles.

there we go, that was hard.

That's pretty much what I thought. However I'll expand on this. For their goal - the 'handball' that Standing did was never a offence in the eyes of the average football supporter and player for that matter, however the referee some how managed to spot a infringement that nobody else picked up on. Constable, Claridge and Barrowsh*t all missed good chances, and because of that (and the refereeing) we're faced with a trip to Accrington Stanley (Exactly!) next season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:28 pm

The situation we are in is no surprise whatsoever, although we were given a fair bit of false hope when KB took us to 3 excellent away draws at Colchester, Southend & Swansea and an away win at Tranmere, which left us thinking we would end up safe, with so many winnable home games to come.

Still, at least I enjoyed that bit of false hope while it lasted, and anyone who foolishly claims that PM would have done better should just look back and remind themselves of his away record.

Now we have the ludicrous Merson claiming his home record was good and slagging off KB and the club over recent home results. Well PM, if you're looking in and sober enough to read this (fat chance), I'd remind you that while you were in your drunken stupor and not following what was going on :

(1) you scraped through a number of undeserved home wins from awful home performances, thanks only to those goals from Matty Fryatt that saved your miserable neck for far too long. Maybe if Matty had left earlier, we'd have got a decent price for him, and Bonser would have seen the writing on the wall as early as a number of us did, got rid of Merson sooner, and given us a chance to climb a little way up this division out of danger.

(2) we won NO home league games in 2006, and only ONE home FA Cup game, so your record was no better than Broadhurst's, not that I'm defending HIM either, his record is abysmal even if we have 6 points more than we'd have had under Merson. Team selection and substitutions have been Mersonesque at times, please KB, don't prolong the agony by trying to stay on for 2006/07.

Although this all goes back to 2003, the most recent nose-dive into freefall is directly down to the give away of Fryatt, the additional loss of Jorge, and the non-replacement of either of them.

Bonser is responsible for this, and I can only arrive at two possible conclusions :

(a) Bonser doesn't care - but I don't honestly believe that !
(b) Walsall FC is in much deeper financial trouble than we are being led to believe. I seriously think this is possible, why else would NO money be made available from the sale of the hotel land, Fryatt, Bennett and Staunton, and the freeing up of wages of these, Jorge and others?

I have heard on WM today people claiming Merson should have stayed - to those who would say this, I think you are completely mad !

I have also heard one caller say "If you want to see where the Fryatt money has gone, drive past Bescot Stadium and look at the new hotel. To this individual I would say "you are an utter and complete fool !"

The fat lady has played, sung and the piano lid has now closed. Greetings to League Two, and this time next season, to the Conference. For I am sure that is where we are going before this rot is turned around - if it ever is - and this club begins to rise again from the ashes.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Then Geoff, it begs the question, where's the money gone. Because for all of the signings made by the club it shouldn't be forgotten these wern't big earners. I get the distinct impression that there's a nasty story waiting to be told here.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:47 pm

I went today in the vain hope that we'd pull out a magic trick... We did just that. We somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. That match was there for the taking.

Donny played at 70% all afternoon, didn't really want to push themselves too much apart from Sean Thornton who, as Merse would say, was a different class.

We on the other hand huffed and puffed, without really doing anything, yet conspired to miss 3 or 4 very good chances. We didn't play well, but created more chances and the better chances.

Barrowman wins Miss of the Season for his first... Keeper on the floor, nobody around him and instead of stroking it him, put his foot through the ball and over the bar. How he did that I still can't figure out.

Barrowman takes another accoldate. A good run saw him beat 2 men, get to the edge of the box where it all opened up for him, the entire goal to aim for and he gently passes it to the keeper.

Constable wins 2nd place for miss of the season, somehow deflecting a goalbound shot over the bar from 3 yards. Although I was told that Radio WM said the linesman had his flag up for offside.

There were also a couple of scrambles, one late on that we should have buried too.

On the whole, it was there for the taking but we just couldn't score in a brothel. Thats 14 blanks in the last 20 matches, cheers Merse & Jeff, who needed Fryatt & Jorge anyway.

That team need to go on the whole. I'd keep Pead (who has responded to a kick up the arse), Westwood, Mills (he looked genuinely upset and hurt when leaving the pitch), Osborn, Claridge and Constable. Wouldn't be fussed if anyone else left to be honest.

Can't see us winning the final 3, so relegation it is.

Cheers Bonser, 11 years backwards in under 2 years, not even Alex Hamilton could have managed that so quickly.

sore saddler

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:49 pm

Well after today's result I thought that I would look at the positives.

:)

Hmmmm - well that's it from me !!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:52 pm

The Hot Dogs where nice :D

amazing red

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:03 pm

does KB realise when he took over that we werent bottom???easy to blame someone else but he has had time to change things,just shows KB is all talk and we now know he isnt up for a challenge.

p.s merson is mainley to blame,they have both let us down :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:07 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:Then Geoff, it begs the question, where's the money gone. Because for all of the signings made by the club it shouldn't be forgotten these wern't big earners. I get the distinct impression that there's a nasty story waiting to be told here.

Yes I wonder too, but the fool who says it's gone on the hotel fails to realise we should be asking where the money has gone from the players and FROM the hotel. We sold the land to Ramada as I understand it for £450k or thereabouts, so there's another £450k to be explained.

I agree there's a nasty story waiting to be told, and IMHO it's a story about the end of our club, and I feel it's not too far around the corner, unless someone comes in to save us very soon.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:11 pm

Merse and Bonser are most to blame . He should have only sold Fryatt and Jorge if he had nailed on replacements for them. After all would you sell your house then not have another house to move into NO.

As for Jeff , he got star struck by Merse and if he has been any other manager he would have been sacked after Slough or Colchester.

We are now if a complete mess, squad half full of loan players and half the players who do not give a toss about this club.

Broadhurst I hope will not get the job in the summer, we need someone fresh but who knows what they are doing. Chris Nicholl would be the perfect choice for me , along with maybe Marton O'Connor as coach.

Maybe Bonser should stop the clubs rent for a year, and let the manager buy someplayers in and use it towards the wage bill. After all Bonser is to blame for making Merse the clown as manager and not listening to any of his fellow board members.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Then Geoff, it begs the question, where's the money gone. Because for all of the signings made by the club it shouldn't be forgotten these wern't big earners. I get the distinct impression that there's a nasty story waiting to be told here.

Yes I wonder too, but the fool who says it's gone on the hotel fails to realise we should be asking where the money has gone from the players and FROM the hotel. We sold the land to Ramada as I understand it for £450k or thereabouts, so there's another £450k to be explained.

I agree there's a nasty story waiting to be told, and IMHO it's a story about the end of our club, and I feel it's not too far around the corner, unless someone comes in to save us very soon.

Yes, I heard that. It made me want to weep. That aside, when one looks back at this season, in financial terms, the club has pulled in a massive amount of cash via transfer fees, compensation (FAI), land sales and sponsorship, in addition to gate monies. It really does beg the question.

sj
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:54 pm

I got back from the game hours ago. The lads did thier best but it just not good enough. :twisted:

Geordie I went to the Pub but both rooms were full at 2pm

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Pedro wrote:The Hot Dogs where nice :D

Bet you were gutted when they ran out second half and had to make do with a Burger. :lol:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:57 pm

Yes I bloody was . Burger was nice tho but not a good as the Hot Dog.

:D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Pedro wrote:Yes I bloody was . Burger was nice tho but not a good as the Hot Dog.

:D

Nothing like a good sausage, As that Donny fan well knows!!!! :?

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Yes that shut them all up .Bloody interbreds

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:That aside, when one looks back at this season, in financial terms, the club has pulled in a massive amount of cash via transfer fees, compensation (FAI), land sales and sponsorship, in addition to gate monies. It really does beg the question.

Which should say that next season should tell us a lot more?

Maybe, just maybe, the financial situation did get out of control and JB decided to risk a real hard hit this year by clawing back whatever he could to clear it all in 1 season. Meaning that next season we may not have the cash flow problems and can get back to being a sensibly managed club with a bit more support for the manager.

I doubt it, but I live in hope.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Stu, that, or something like it, may well form the main thrust of Bonsers mitigation for this seasons 'performance'.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Live in hope, it's the best way to live. Maybe we can start again next year with a clean slate and no pressure. Maybe Broadhurst can do what Gary Johnson has done latterly at Bristol City and stamp his authority on the team. Maybe we'll get promotion and do better approaching league one from the division below rather than coming down into it from above. Maybe. Maybe.

As for today's game, I wouldn't fault the players too much. They put in the workrate - even Fox! - and did something approaching their best. But when you're at the bottom, sitters fly over the bar rather than into the net and the refereeing decisions all go the other way. I would fault the team selection though - Barrowman is not good enough and Standing is not a right winger, no matter how many times you play him there.

The writing has been on the wall for some time. No strikers = no goals = no points. Plus I still don't understand why the players gave up professional football for Lent post-Tranmere. Unforgiveable from some/most of them. If we'd shown the same sort of committment that we have since half time against Bournemouth throughout Broadhurst's reign then I think we might have been in with a chance. Oh well, by 4.50pm on Saturday it might all be over and we can look forward to another summer of cricket - the season starts this week. Forget about football until August when we'll remember this season wasn't just a horrible dream.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Shall a make a considered, well thought out post...

Nah...today can be summed up in four words.

SCAT ON THE PITCH

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:03 am

Is it time to go into administration yet?

There is absolutely no heart in any aspect of this club save for that displayed by its supporters, even back in the dark days of the 80's 90's there was something there, not now, just a bunch of mersonaries (pardon the pun) taking what pound of flesh they can from the rotting carcass, its terrible to witness. There are so many players that I just don't want to see pull on the shirt ever again, I wish they would just have the professional pride to resign and get another job. As for Broadhurst, he started ok but has completely lost the plot already.

The silence from the boardroom if both deafening and damning, you've been found out JB, simple as that.

Make no mistake, this current team (and I use the word team in the loosest sense) will get relegated from division 4. Last time we went down we had the likes of Rimmer to ease us into life in the basement, this lot are incapable of scoring goals, Barrowman, Constable, Taylor, Demontagnac, Claridge, Fox, Oakes, all players who could well be here next season are no better than non-league players (harsh but true in Claridge's case). They quite literaly should be plying there trade in the Unibond, Beazer or Ryman league.

I know confidence has something to do with it but when you have teenage wingers who can't run or beat a man then we really do need to start from scratch. Maybe starting from scratch is what we should do, its worked for the likes of Accrington whom we meet on equal terms next season.

Normally a relegation brings a strange sense of relief, even hope that we will bounce back, that just isn't there this time I'm afraid. My only hope is that Alex Nicholls might turn out to be something decent, yes folks our main hope is an 18 year old with a broken leg - but even that would be better than Barrowman - cheers Merse he was so obviously worth an 18 month deal.

Greg WP

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 am

Registered Saddler wrote:Live in hope, it's the best way to live. Maybe we can start again next year with a clean slate and no pressure. Maybe Broadhurst can do what Gary Johnson has done latterly at Bristol City and stamp his authority on the team. Maybe we'll get promotion and do better approaching league one from the division below rather than coming down into it from above. Maybe. Maybe.

As for today's game, I wouldn't fault the players too much. They put in the workrate - even Fox! - and did something approaching their best. But when you're at the bottom, sitters fly over the bar rather than into the net and the refereeing decisions all go the other way. I would fault the team selection though - Barrowman is not good enough and Standing is not a right winger, no matter how many times you play him there.

The writing has been on the wall for some time. No strikers = no goals = no points. Plus I still don't understand why the players gave up professional football for Lent post-Tranmere. Unforgiveable from some/most of them. If we'd shown the same sort of committment that we have since half time against Bournemouth throughout Broadhurst's reign then I think we might have been in with a chance. Oh well, by 4.50pm on Saturday it might all be over and we can look forward to another summer of cricket - the season starts this week. Forget about football until August when we'll remember this season wasn't just a horrible dream.

Dont forget the World Cup !!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:41 am

Well I hope that we follow the pattern of 1978-80. Relegated after failing to win in our last 12 games but bouncing straight back the following season as opposed to the period 1989-95. At the moment I think we are in for a time of struggle, in 79/80 we had the likes of excellent young players such as Ian Paul & Don Penn coming to the fore. Today we can look forward to Andrew Barrowman & James Constable. We finished 15 th & 16th in our first 2 seasons back in the 4th Division in the early 90s.I see no reason why we will not repeat this . That game yesterday is surely typical of the standard we can expect in the bottom tier. Despite that we should have been 2 up before that diabolical 'freekick'. Should Oakes have done better, I could not tell from where I was standing?
In general I thought we were ok/mediocre ish in first half, but if we miss chances like that ( especially the second one which has got to be one of the gentlest of pass backs to the goalkeeper ever) we dont deserve to be anywhere but bottom. I know Constable missed a dreadful sitter after he came on , but I could not follow KB's reasoning in dropping the one person who can remember what it is like to score a goal recently. Still if we insist on getting rid of Jorge & Fyatt who would have surely put one of those chances away what can you expect.
Also once Taylor came on why did we not try & get the ball wide & give him a chance to have a go at their full back or perhaps he has left all his pace behind in cider country?
I thought that Claridge did pretty well (think you are a bit harsh, Geordie) & is worth a contract. Thought Westwood & Mills did well too.
Afraid Mrs Hull Saddler has still not grasped things even after 33 years of marriage- 'You lost one nil then, oh that's not too bad then is it'.

sore saddler

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am

Having calmed down - -uI take you back to my post on Monday morning.

"My team would be

oakes
pead westwood mills fox
osborn keates smith
standing
constable claridge

This gives us a solid midfield plus some attacking options.
Standing's best position is "in the hole".
From there he can run at people and his weak tackling doesn't leave us exposed - the other 3 provide a solid platform to let us play this way.

Remember we have to WIN games draws are not going to get us out of this mess.
I understand the comments about wide players but with 2 midgets in the middle and no supporting midfiled players we have no-one to get on the end of any crosses.
The reason I would play Standing is that most defenders hate players who run at them with the ball - even more than they hate crosses !!!"

What happens - Ozzy gets dropped ............ bizarre !!!
Standing is played on the right wing ........... AGAIN !!!
Leary starts again ..................................... crazy, crazy crazy !!!
We basically play the same system ............ which hasn't worked in the previous xxxxxx games !!!!

Someone please explain this to me ??????????????
:evil:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:01 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Well I hope that we follow the pattern of 1978-80. Relegated after failing to win in our last 12 games but bouncing straight back the following season as opposed to the period 1989-95

Looking back at 1978/9 there were some similarities. We sold our goalscorer, Buckley, we did not find a replacement and what-do-you-know our goals dried up and we fell down the league. We changed an unsuccessful manager (Ashman) in February and the new man (Sibley) had a disastrous run. Looking back perhaps we were too hard on Frank Sibley and it seems that Kevan Broadhurst will take the record as our most unsuccessful manager.

Sibley's record was Played 15 won 2 lost 9 drawn 4 - giving an average of 1 point per game.
Broadhurst record: Played 10 won 1 lost 5 drawn 4 - giving an average of 0.7 points per game.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:48 pm

Absolute shi**.

Here endeth the lesson.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season