Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster (A) 17/04/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Was a shambles, we actually made chances first half, which made a change, but the lethal Barrowman managed to fluff them, one was easier to score than miss, definately easier to score than put if 4 foot over the bar!

Having said that, we where still awful, playing a team who where almost on their summer holidays.

Not defending Merson here, im glad the clown has gone, and he has damaged us beyond repair, but i honestly now believe we would have more points if he was still here than Broadhurst, say what you want, we weren't in the bottom four when he took over, now we are carrying the whole bloody league on top of us.

That isn't saying we should have Kept Merson, just employed Nicholl would have been enough, to late now, just hope we don't have to suffer BroadHurst next year. Changed my mind completely after yesterday, i am allowed to do that i assume.

Anyway i had a good day, apart from the Football, spent the day with A cracking bunch of lads, had a few beers, a few laughs, and thats about all that is left now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Anyway i had a good day, apart from the Football, spent the day with A cracking bunch of lads, had a few beers, a few laughs, and thats about all that is left now.

See you on Saturday and at Gillingham. :lol:

Higher than an ace!

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Not defending Merson here, im glad the clown has gone, and he has damaged us beyond repair, but i honestly now believe we would have more points if he was still here than Broadhurst, say what you want, we weren't in the bottom four when he took over, now we are carrying the whole bloody league on top of us.

Its all and good saying we weren't in the bottom 4, but Merson had the benefit of Leitao and Fryatt for over half of the season.

If Merson had to manage the set of players we'd got now, we'd have been down by Xmas.

Merson's record with this bunch of players was 9pts from 10 games, Broadhursts is 7 from 10.

So there is not really any proof that Merson would have got more points and to be honest, I don't think he would have as the players had clearly given up the ghost by Griffin Park.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Stu, if it was a choice between staying up and keeping Merson, or going down and him being gone, i would have chosen relegation, just to state the point i blame Merson for this shambles.

But KB hasn't got a clue mate, you have watched it, surely you can see that. I take the point about matty and Jorge.

I still say for as bad as our team is, you can get much more out of them than what KB has for the past month.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:15 am

What a waste of time and money that was. The thing that got me on Monday was Doncaster looked shocking too. But we were bloody arwful. I felt there was more effort, but honestly, some of those players should really question whether a career in football is for them,
Pead and Westwood were the only players to emerge with any credit as far as attempting to play football. We look like a team that has given up completely.

Good couple of pints in the Tut n Shive again though.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:50 pm

derbysaddler wrote:What a waste of time and money that was. The thing that got me on Monday was Doncaster looked shocking too but we were bloody awful.

Summed up by a Donny supporter whom I overheard talking to his friend as we left the ground:-

"God, we were shyte today. It's a good job they were even worse!"

Says it all, really.

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Stu, if it was a choice between staying up and keeping Merson, or going down and him being gone, i would have chosen relegation, just to state the point i blame Merson for this shambles.

But KB hasn't got a clue mate, you have watched it, surely you can see that. I take the point about matty and Jorge.

I still say for as bad as our team is, you can get much more out of them than what KB has for the past month.

I'm not sure. I think we'd have gone down regardless of who was in charge. We just can't score for toffee and its not the managers fault if we're missing absolute sitters.

I just don't think we're good enough to be honest.

My only dislike of KB is that his style of football is lousy and he is very negative.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:What a waste of time and money that was. The thing that got me on Monday was Doncaster looked shocking too but we were bloody awful.

Summed up by a Donny supporter whom I overheard talking to his friend as we left the ground:-

"God, we were shyte today. It's a good job they were even worse!"

Says it all, really.

I heard the same thing been said by people round me Leamore.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:17 am

I actually don't think its a bad tactic to try and nick results, because we simply don't have the firepower to go out all guns blazing. Our successful scraps against relegation were won that way under Lee, when we tried the former approach under merson we went down. The trouble is when you don't get players who are prepared to concentrate battle, and when the points arn't forthcoming it just looks awful. However, the team-selection is baffling to put it mildly.

It wouldn't have been at all impossible to have taken a point against Bournemouth, 3 against Vale, and 3 against Donny playing as we have done, but missing the chances we have missed and giving stupid goals away has done us and that's because the strikers arn't good enough and the defenders and goalkeeper are just mentally AWOL too often - questionable attitude IMO.

I've heard people say keeping Jorge wouldn't have made much difference, and I couldn't disagree more, I think it would have made a huge difference. Jorge is a proper footballer and he would have run himself into the ground for the cause. He scored 7 goals pre-Christmas despite playing out of position half the time. If he could have repeated even that level of return after Christmas (and he's been scoring for his new club) I'm sure we would have turned a few draws into wins and been in with a great shout of survival. Selling Fryatt was a critical blow, losing Jorge nailed down the coffin lid, and for what? To save a few poxy quid that we ended up wasting four times over on the likes of Leary, Timm, Devlin, Barrowman and Fitzgerald.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:32 am

Stu wrote:My only dislike of KB is that his style of football is lousy and he is very negative.

The older fans might know the tune:

Jeff Bonser said to Kevan B
Have you heard of attacking football, see
If you don't get forward
You won't score goals
Not even with Henry or Scholes
La la la la la la....
We are the Walsall
We love goals :(

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season