Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) 15/4/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:10 pm

Yes come on Geoff, get yourself about ten pints, a steaming hot curry with all the trimmings then go home and get hold of Mrs Geoff and everything will seem alright.

For the Happy clapping mersonites there is the alternative option of a pot noodle and a w*nk.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Both my co-Director AND ucow sent me texts after the Vale goal to say that it was Westwood's howler that gave it away, so I'll go with that as they are both very knowledgeable about the game.

It's typical, and perhaps it's very fitting, that it should be our under-achieving so-called Messiah-captain that has hammered virtually the final nail into the coffin of this god-damn awful season.

League Two, fully deserved. I'd like to say well done to Accrington today and we can look forward to their visit next season, what a great achievement on our part!

I honestly see us in the Conference before we come back (if ever) to League One - it's going to be a long long time IMHO, unless we can find a buyer to get rid of JB. I now deeply regret the waste of nearly £600 on Early-Bird Season Tickets for 06/07, but that rush of blood to my head coincided with Broadhurst's all-too-brief honeymoon period.

Catch you in the week guys, I'm off for a meal and to get bladdered tonight, in the hope of forgetting 2 points out of 15 at home - I NEVER thought it could happen to Walsall FC until now.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:18 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Both my co-Director AND ucow sent me texts after the Vale goal to say that it was Westwood's howler that gave it away, so I'll go with that as they are both very knowledgeable about the game.

It's typical, and perhaps it's very fitting, that it should be our under-achieving so-called Messiah-captain that has hammered virtually the final nail into the coffin of this god-damn awful season.

League Two, fully deserved. I'd like to say well done to Accrington today and we can look forward to their visit next season, what a great achievement on our part!

I honestly see us in the Conference before we come back (if ever) to League One - it's going to be a long long time IMHO, unless we can find a buyer to get rid of JB. I now deeply regret the waste of nearly £600 on Early-Bird Season Tickets for 06/07, but that rush of blood to my head coincided with Broadhurst's all-too-brief honeymoon period.

Catch you in the week guys, I'm off for a meal and to get bladdered tonight, in the hope of forgetting 2 points out of 15 at home - I NEVER thought it could happen to Walsall FC until now.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

have fun mate dont drink to much :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:32 pm

I'm going to disagree with the comments about 'big boot' football. I thought the first half we just had to keep it tight and start to get some kind of confidence back. The defence were very good and until their big striker came on, I don't think Westwood or Mills missed a single header.
In the second half, the first time we managed to get in behind their defence, we scored - that says it all. The goal totally chnged things for us as every player was playing with a belief and confidence we haven't seen for weeks. Fox has had stinker after stinker recently, but even he was starting to look like the Fox of old at times.
What we lacked today was some pace in the midfield or at least someone willing to run with the ball. Standing offers us this and showed it when he came on. I realise people will criticise the defence for the goal and rightly so, but I think this is the back 4 that we should stick with for at least the next couple of games. I'd just make sure we start with Standing instead of Leary on Monday. Leary ambles around the pitch like he doesn't want to be there whereas Standing always gives his all and will actually run with the ball when necessary.
Can't fault the strikers today. Claridge was very good yet again - I just wish we had more players running from midfield to support him at times because he holds the ball up very well. Constable doesn't do much outside of the box, but he is clearly a natural goalscorer and despite the fact that we've thrown him in at the deep end this season, he's the one that could get the goals we need.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Well, what can you say. Demoralising, depressing. Not for the usual reasons though!

We played really well, thoroughly deserved to win, Vale's goal was as far offside as I've ever seen anyone be without it being given, even after that Barrowman "scored" but in his wisdom the ref awarded Vale because their keeper fouled his own defender.

Other results mean we're not dead and buried yet, but we need a win on Monday.

I'd play exactly the same eleven.

Westwood was excellent (one mistake, which admittedly led to their goal), Osborn was MOTM and magnificent, Constable was like a headless chicken but proved he knows where the back of the net is.

Damn it. Four minutes away from being out of the relegation zone.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:46 pm

Bristol, we weren't 4 minutes away from getting out of the relegation zone. We'd still have been 1 point and 9 goals worse off than Rotherham...

Fortunately I was at Highbury, in the Baggies end, getting in a visit there before they leave the place. However my old man pointed the finger at Fox for their goal, said that Westwood did well just to get a head on the ball as it looked to be clearing him, and that Fox dilly-dallied about on the ball and they prevented his clearance.

That's probably relegation in the bag now, not quite sure how we've managed to do it but we have.

Oh well, at least I've a Bank Holiday Monday in Doncaster to look forward too.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:15 pm

All westwoods fault for the goal, what a joke he is.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:44 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:All westwoods fault for the goal, what a joke he is.

Some people are so one-eyed when it comes to watching football, it's ridiculous. :wink:

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Just got back and i still cannot believe how the ref disallowed our late goal.

Their keeper tripped over his own defender.............it was so obvious.....................to all except the man in black.
I am afraid that we have lost the rub of the green and any 50 50 decisions that should go our way.

Thought Mills and Westwood did okay today but Westwoods misdirected header set up their goal even though it was handball and offside and oakes got a hand to it.

Luck has deserted us along with pace.

It was crying out for the demon today.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:12 pm

Well, we were better, but we still weren't very good. We played for about 7 or 8 minutes after half time and got a reward, so fair play to us for that, but I think a draw was a fair result.

However, the manner in which PV got their equaliser was shocking as it was blatently offside, by around 4 yards, yet it was ignored by the linesman. Also the foul against us on their keeper? He was challenged by his own man, so all in all, we've lost 2 points today thanks to the officials, but thats the luck you get at the bottom.

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Well, we were better, but we still weren't very good. We played for about 7 or 8 minutes after half time and got a reward, so fair play to us for that, but I think a draw was a fair result.

However, the manner in which PV got their equaliser was shocking as it was blatently offside, by around 4 yards, yet it was ignored by the linesman. Also the foul against us on their keeper? He was challenged by his own man, so all in all, we've lost 2 points today thanks to the officials, but thats the luck you get at the bottom.

agree with you that when your at the bottom its like a stigma,nothing goes right :(

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Westwood again eh? He was cack against Blackpool and cack again today. Tell me, did cack Wright play as well? I was going to go to the match but decided not to watse my time and money for yet another disasterous result. And make no bones about it - it IS a disaster!!! We should be beating these teams EASILY!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I totally agree with Geoff! The heart of Walsall Football Club has been ripped out by Bonsor's incompetence and a string of disasters.

What a fecking pile of old cack!!!!!

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Can't say I was overly impressed with any of it really. One point from three successive winable home games sums it up for me.

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:47 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:Can't say I was overly impressed with any of it really. One point from three successive winable home games sums it up for me.

need a bit of luck dont we to keep us up!

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:54 pm

amazing red wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Can't say I was overly impressed with any of it really. One point from three successive winable home games sums it up for me.

True, true. But the maths says it's possible, so possible it is.

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
amazing red wrote:

True, true. But the maths says it's possible, so possible it is.

TOO RIGHT!!!! :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Westwood again eh? He was cack against Blackpool and cack again today. Tell me, did cack Wright play as well?

Firstly, Westwood played very well and deservedly got man of the match. Secondly, Wright didn't play and wasn't even in the 16 - I saw him leaving the ground just as I was arriving. At least KB has realised he isn't a footballer as long as he has a ........... :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Quite suprised by those saying how bad it was, first half was much the same, maybe a little better, second half i thought we played quite well, missed the goal, still in the bar, sorry lads :oops:

Thought we easily did enough to win the game, Vale rarely threatened, as mentioned it was a howler that cost us, although i thought Westwood had a decent game, but obviously the situation we are in it is a devastating blow, and all but the last nail.

Thought Mills had an excellent game at the back.

Just the way it goes when your at the bottom i guess, we didn't get in this position on todays result alone, we need snookers now

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Was it a deliberate policy of Broadhurst that the midfield did nothing positive in the first half? He certainly never encouraged them to try anything different.

When any of our midfield players had the ball all they did was either pass sideways or backwards, or put in a long ball directly to Claridge or Constable. Not once in the first half did any of our midfield try to beat a man or pass the ball forward into space. The second half was a little better - but we played with absolutely no width and had no midfield player supporting our forwards.

Did anyone notice how every time Claridge was given the ball he controlled it and then passed it back to which ever of our defenders was the furthest from goal. He never tried to turn with the ball, or pass it to Constable.

Constable gave by far his worst performance yet. The goal he scored was a tap-in. He made one forward run. Apart from that he lost the ball straight away every time it went near him.

Port Vale were absolutely terrible, yet they were the better side in the first half. In the second half we raised the standard of our game to fair, but because Vale were so bad, we were the better team.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:47 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Quite suprised by those saying how bad it was, first half was much the same, maybe a little better, second half i thought we played quite well, missed the goal, still in the bar, sorry lads :oops:

Thought we easily did enough to win the game, Vale rarely threatened, as mentioned it was a howler that cost us, although i thought Westwood had a decent game, but obviously the situation we are in it is a devastating blow, and all but the last nail.

Thought Mills had an excellent game at the back.

Just the way it goes when your at the bottom i guess, we didn't get in this position on todays result alone, we need snookers now

I really am watching different games lately, as, like you, I thought that was another improvement yesterday and the best we've been at home in the League for a long time. I can't even call the goal a "howler" from Westwood, as it was just one of those things, could still have been cleared by Fox and was offside to boot! there was also nothing wrong with Barrowman's "winner".

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:29 am

Well for the first forty five minutes I thought I'd stumbled across a pre season friendly, such was the lack of urgency. The second half consisted of one side who wern't overly bothered, and another who wern't capable of performing beyond the level of mediocraty which we've now come to know and love.

It was awful stuff Neil, and certainly no better than anything served up under the previous manager. Anybody who claims it to be so is deluding themselves. Merson had to go, and Broadhurst, if Bonser is true to his word, will have to follow him.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 am

....If we go down, we're not there yet. Win tomorrow (however unlikely that may seem) and there's every chance we could be only goal-difference from safety.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:49 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:....If we go down, we're not there yet. Win tomorrow (however unlikely that may seem) and there's every chance we could be only goal-difference from safety.

I'll remain as positive as the next supporter, and honestly hope you're right.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I really am watching different games lately, as, like you, I thought that was another improvement yesterday and the best we've been at home in the League for a long time.
http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

I think that you look for different things. You like to see a defensive midfield neatly passing the ball square or backwards. You are not too bothered if we make no forward runs and rarely get the ball into the opposition penalty area. You can sit through a match when the opposition goalkeeper makes perhaps one save and we have two shots on target and be satisfied. One corner to us in the first half, two or three in the second half - that's OK by you.

I enjoy seeing good attacking football where wingers take on and beat full backs. I like it when midfield players put the ball into space for the forwards to run to. I want to see one-twos between the midfield and the forwards. In fact I am pretty easily satisfied.

Also I take into account the standard of the opposition. Port Vale were absolutely awful. Our defence looked good, because they had very poor players against them. Frankly we did not deserve to beat Vale because we did not make enough chances. On that performance we are in the correct position in the league.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:27 am

Bernie wrote:
I enjoy seeing good attacking football where wingers take on and beat full backs. I like it when midfield players put the ball into space for the forwards to run to. I want to see one-twos between the midfield and the forwards. In fact I am pretty easily satisfied.

I'm with you there, and as I said last week and said to my old man when he rung me up to tell me the line up, thats the problem when you play central midfielders in the wide positions.

We must win games to stop up now, keeping it tight and hoping to nick a 1-0 isn't good enough as yesterday proved.

For me, there'd be no doubt, I'd have Ishmel on the left, Wright on the right. I'd tell the defenders to get the ball wide as early as possible. I'd have Smith and Osborn in the middle, getting Ossie too sit deep and giving Smith more of a license to push forward.

If the ball gets into Claridge or Constable, they should have the option of an oncoming Smith or either winger to pass to.

That's how I like to see football played and I think we've got the personnel to do it. Unfortunately Broadhurst really is trying to nick 1-0 wins.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:42 am

I thought we were better yesterday, we were certainly the better team and we were unlucky not to win, I actually don't think we have the players to play this free flowing attacking football that everyone so desperately wants. I think we do need gritty 1-0 wins but it's too late now, the decision to sack Merson was at least a month too late.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Stu wrote:
Bernie wrote:

I'm with you there, and as I said last week and said to my old man when he rung me up to tell me the line up, thats the problem when you play central midfielders in the wide positions.

We must win games to stop up now, keeping it tight and hoping to nick a 1-0 isn't good enough as yesterday proved.

For me, there'd be no doubt, I'd have Ishmel on the left, Wright on the right. I'd tell the defenders to get the ball wide as early as possible. I'd have Smith and Osborn in the middle, getting Ossie too sit deep and giving Smith more of a license to push forward.

If the ball gets into Claridge or Constable, they should have the option of an oncoming Smith or either winger to pass to.

That's how I like to see football played and I think we've got the personnel to do it. Unfortunately Broadhurst really is trying to nick 1-0 wins.

Agree 100% and I've said it several times since the other night.

Pead and Fox aren't suited to playing wing backs and Wright and Ish aren't suited to playing wing backs but we need goals and WINS so get them on as wingers. We have to be posititve.

We could have easily beaten Bournemouth and Vale if Claridge and Constable had options to lay the ball of to.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:14 pm

WHY ARE PEOPLE SLAGGING OFF WESTWOOD??!!!!

OK I aint his biggest fan and on the last day I will personally go up to him and hit him for how dire he has been this season but yesterday he played well and fully deserved MOTM. Mills and Westwood looked alot more secure than Roper and Ant'nee have done in recent weeks. The only player I can criticise from yesterdays game was Leary. He is up there with the worst midfielders we have ever had, he cant pass a ball and is scared to make a challenge. Its players like him and James that have got us in this mess and the sooner they go the better.
Surely NOW we are down Stevie Claridge will be worth giving a contract to next season. He reminds me so much of Goodman. OK He will not score a bomb load of goals but he will give you commitment which we know we have not seen at Bescot for a few years.

So what now? Lets all plan our trips to Accrington and Barnet, if im honest im looking forward to it.
With us dropping into the bottom division we will lose all the fans that jumped on the bandwagon after our division 1 days and that will just leave the die-hard Walsall fans that have a laugh both HOME and Away.

Eh Oi Eh Oi Eh Oi oh down the football league we go, when we get relegated this is what we'll grunt, we are Walsall and Bonser is a ****.

Rob Samuel

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:14 pm

To me what this all boils down to is COMMITMENT; At this level there is very little between the players in terms of skill and technique commitment and tenacity are what it boils down to.

Who were are best players yesterday: Mills, Westwood, Keates and Claridge and to a lesser extent Smith and Pead and what distinguished these players from the rest was that they fought and contested for every single ball. Leary and Fox (although they both improved in the second half) think it's OK to LOOK like they're trying to make a challenge, not actually committing themselves to the cause. How often in the first half did we see one of them slowl;y advance towards the opposing player with their arms out streched and then allow that player to make a pass or cross under little pressure? In the position we are in they need to be harrying and scrapping at all times.

If every player plays like Mills did yesterday we can stay up. If Leary and Fox keep on giving their opposing players such an easy ride we definitely won't. Those two boys think it's alright to have 50 squid haircuts and prance around the field attempting to give the impression that they're trying, well they need to know its NOT good enough. I know they both improved in the second half but I want to see it from everybody for 90 minutes, we're in a relegation scrap for christsakes.

Constable really needs to start making some runs and also to pass the ball earlier, he wants a little bit too much time at the moment but then that's a sign of poor confidence which is understandable.

I'd play Ishmael on the right instead of Leary even though he's left footed, he scored his wonder goal against Vale coming of the right anyway didn't he?

Pead was much better, used the ball well and was committed in challenging for the ball in the air even though he is a shortarse.

Osborn flattered to deceive a bit yesterday and should try and show the commiment of Keates who is a less gifted player but makes things happen through pure obstinancy. Good on him.

We defintely should have won but as soon as Westwood made that header I knew they were going to score even though I thought it was a handball and then offside.

Our goal should have stood, the Ref went for the easy option although other than that i think he had a good game.

What seperates mid-table/play-off challenge from the struggling in this league is commitment something so obviously missing under Merson and still lacking in some players now which is undermining our hopes for survival.

It needs to be sorted.

Rob Samuel

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:21 pm

By the way, Westwood was not sh!t by any means yesterday - It wasn't that bad a mistake and as Neil says Fox should have got rid. Westwood played well and worked his balls off, Sam and constantine were completely nullfied by him and Mills.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season