Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) 15/4/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:46 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Alright lads, i know the team for definite for tomrrow; it WILL be as follows;

Oakes

Pead Westood Mills Fox

Leary Osborn Keates Smith

Constable Claridge

Are you Kevan Broadhurst in disguise? :D

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Can't make it today after Bore 'nmouth i just hope we attack more and not have 5 at the back

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:12 pm

Yeovil lost yesterday and now Hartlepool losing, chances.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Hartlepool are losing :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:25 pm

Just wish it sounded like we were actually going to create a chance. Own goal seems our best hope at moment.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:50 pm

Halftimes:

Hartlepool 0-2 Bristol City
Swindon 0-0 MK Dongs
Rotherscum 1-0 Brentford
Blackpool 0-0 Swansea

A goal from anywhere will do. Come on!! :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:01 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Halftimes:

Swindon 0-0 MK Dongs
Rotherscum 1-0 Brentford
Blackpool 0-0 Swansea

Therein lies the snag. :(

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:02 pm

Yes-
1 -0 come on

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:04 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Halftimes:

Swindon 0-0 MK Dongs
Rotherscum 1-0 Brentford
Blackpool 0-0 Swansea

Therein lies the snag. :(

I stand corrected!! COME ON!!!! Constable 50 :)

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:12 pm

This is it, either we win this and have a great chance from here, or we blow it and go down.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Blackpool 1-0 up against Swansea

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:23 pm

Brentford equalised at Rotherham!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:24 pm

That didnt last long Rotherham 2-1

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:38 pm

tw*t.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Rotherham 2-2 Brentford :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:42 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:tw*t.

Hmm, i've just realised why you posted that Geordie.
BBC site is a bit slow!! :cry:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:46 pm

The Barrowboy is on. Oh dear. :cry:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:48 pm

What a ballsup. :roll:

bigste

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:48 pm

BOL**CKS !!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:38 pm

missed the game today work iam affraid
nice we at least scored but a draws not enough

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:43 pm

4 minutes from the win that might have given us the impetous and the confidence, can't see us staying up now. I think we still need 3 wins and we surely won't win 3 out of 4. But you never know, ultimately its the hope that kills you.

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:46 pm

the lads gave thier all just unlucky at the end,still hope but we need a win very badly monday :!:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:50 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:4 minutes from the win that might have given us the impetous and the confidence, can't see us staying up now. I think we still need 3 wins and we surely won't win 3 out of 4. But you never know, ultimately its the hope that kills you.

hope is all we have now Geordie a bit of luck would'nt go amiss

sj
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:50 pm

Doncaster--- Here we come :shock: :shock:

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:53 pm

we were very rubbish just.
I fear we are doomed :cry:

London Saddler

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:57 pm

Darren Wrack(president of headless chicken society) will be proud of us. The whole team has become a bunch of headless chickens. Running around, working hard but achieving little and quality wise non existent. But don't adjust your computer screens. Its true. Walsall FC scored a goal today!!!

We started in a 4-4-2 but with 9 men again as Fox as Leary were playing. Another 3rd rate team in Port Vale with nothing to play for and who havn't won at Walsall for 50 years were the visitors today and they looked useless and disinterested throughout

Defensively we were totally comfortable but i never felt we would keep a clean sheet. We are not good enough defensively like we havn't been for 3 years to keep clean sheets. And problem is, when you are struggling to create a chance, let alone score, you know that if the opposition get even 1 goal you are not going to win. Oakes apart from the goal didn't have a save to make. Pead was faultless. Fox had little to do but still managed to struggle defensively and carried on with his hoof hoof attempts at passing. To me the goal looked like it stemmed from a mistake from Westwood. Radio WM said it was due to mistakes from Fox and Mills. Mr Joke Nobody(Broadhurst) said their goal was offside. Basically Vale put on a big central defender up front at the end and we could not deal with him. Mills was my MOM

Yet again we started with hard working, defensive midfielders. No pace. No width. Consequently apart from our goal we never looked like scoring again, 2 half chances, one in the 1st half and 1 in the 2nd half was the sum part of our efforts. We closed down quickly, won plenty of tackles but as usual, no killer passes, no creativity and crossing was awful. Keates was Keates. Won loads of tackles but then didn't know what to do with ball. Osbourne and Smith were steady. Leary was predictable the worst player on the pitch. He was apparently a right winger today. His match was summed up today in the 1st minute. He received the ball in loads of space well in the Vale half with very few Vale defenders back. He could have run towards goal. He could have run straight to byline and cross it. He could have passed it. What did he do. He hoofed the ball miles in the air as if he was in a rugby game. That sums him up

Up front no complaints again. Thats why i am a Constable fan. Yes he is raw. Yes he looks out of his depth at times. But he has showed today (like he has showed already this season), that give him a chance and he knows where the net is. I'd rather have a blindfolded Constable any day rather than Barrowman up front. As for Claridge. If we had 11 Claridges out there, we would have stayed up. Despite no service, and being 40, he ran around like a man possessed and is an example to every young player out there

Despite this not being Mr Joke Nobody's team, it is apparent what kind of players he likes and his type of football. Negative,defensive hard working players is what he seems to prefer to pace or creativity or width. And the football is hit and hope, hoof hoof football. I don't think Bonser will have the courage to appoint Chris Nicholl this summer

The Franachise won again today and are within a point of us. Bottom line is we are not good enough. And thats why not only are we going down, but we deserve to go down and like i have said recently, we will finish bottom of the division

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:58 pm

Well I wasn't there, but my co-Director had my ST and kept me in touch. He was NOT very complimentary about the performnce, and that's putting it mildly!

I see NO hope whatsoever now, if we can't beat Bradford from 2-0 up or Vale after going ahead.

I don't hold out even a prayer for our chances at Donny, home vs Huddersfield (even tho they're on a bad run at the moment), away at Gillingham (probably the worst side we've played this season but now improved to the extent they've made the top half) or home vs Barnsley.

I honestly can't see another point coming our way now, we have disgracefully blown 13 out of the last 15 points at home against very average opponents, and we have the look of absolute relegation certainties.

Going down, and 100% fully deserved, no excuses whatsoever for Merson or Bonser, and I'm honestly not feeling too sorry for KB either, as he's failed to make anything like best use of the players at his disposal.

One plus today, I've actually got logged on for the first time through my 3G card, so I'm sending this from the patio outside my caravan on a very pleasant evening in North Wales.

Stuff the Saddlers, I no longer give a sh*t what happens this season!

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:59 pm

London Saddler wrote:Darren Wrack(president of headless chicken society) will be proud of us. The whole team has become a bunch of headless chickens. Running around, working hard but achieving little and quality wise non existent. But don't adjust your computer screens. Its true. Walsall FC scored a goal today!!!

We started in a 4-4-2 but with 9 men again as Fox as Leary were playing. Another 3rd rate team in Port Vale with nothing to play for and who havn't won at Walsall for 50 years were the visitors today and they looked useless and disinterested throughout

Defensively we were totally comfortable but i never felt we would keep a clean sheet. We are not good enough defensively like we havn't been for 3 years to keep clean sheets. And problem is, when you are struggling to create a chance, let alone score, you know that if the opposition get even 1 goal you are not going to win. Oakes apart from the goal didn't have a save to make. Pead was faultless. Fox had little to do but still managed to struggle defensively and carried on with his hoof hoof attempts at passing. To me the goal looked like it stemmed from a mistake from Westwood. Radio WM said it was due to mistakes from Fox and Mills. Mr Joke Nobody(Broadhurst) said their goal was offside. Basically Vale put on a big central defender up front at the end and we could not deal with him. Mills was my MOM

Yet again we started with hard working, defensive midfielders. No pace. No width. Consequently apart from our goal we never looked like scoring again, 2 half chances, one in the 1st half and 1 in the 2nd half was the sum part of our efforts. We closed down quickly, won plenty of tackles but as usual, no killer passes, no creativity and crossing was awful. Keates was Keates. Won loads of tackles but then didn't know what to do with ball. Osbourne and Smith were steady. Leary was predictable the worst player on the pitch. He was apparently a right winger today. His match was summed up today in the 1st minute. He received the ball in loads of space well in the Vale half with very few Vale defenders back. He could have run towards goal. He could have run straight to byline and cross it. He could have passed it. What did he do. He hoofed the ball miles in the air as if he was in a rugby game. That sums him up

Up front no complaints again. Thats why i am a Constable fan. Yes he is raw. Yes he looks out of his depth at times. But he has showed today (like he has showed already this season), that give him a chance and he knows where the net is. I'd rather have a blindfolded Constable any day rather than Barrowman up front. As for Claridge. If we had 11 Claridges out there, we would have stayed up. Despite no service, and being 40, he ran around like a man possessed and is an example to every young player out there

Despite this not being Mr Joke Nobody's team, it is apparent what kind of players he likes and his type of football. Negative,defensive hard working players is what he seems to prefer to pace or creativity or width. And the football is hit and hope, hoof hoof football. I don't think Bonser will have the courage to appoint Chris Nicholl this summer

The Franachise won again today and are within a point of us. Bottom line is we are not good enough. And thats why not only are we going down, but we deserve to go down and like i have said recently, we will finish bottom of the division

darren wrack :lol:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:03 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Stuff the Saddlers, I no longer give a sh*t what happens this season!

Come on Geoff a miracle happens - we need a win on May 6th to stay up- you'll be there giving your all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing red

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:08 pm

saddlerjane wrote:we were very rubbish just.
I fear we are doomed :cry:

we werent that bad surely :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season