Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) 15/4/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:
Bernie wrote:
I enjoy seeing good attacking football where wingers take on and beat full backs. I like it when midfield players put the ball into space for the forwards to run to. I want to see one-twos between the midfield and the forwards. In fact I am pretty easily satisfied.

I'm with you there, and as I said last week and said to my old man when he rung me up to tell me the line up, thats the problem when you play central midfielders in the wide positions.

We must win games to stop up now, keeping it tight and hoping to nick a 1-0 isn't good enough as yesterday proved.

For me, there'd be no doubt, I'd have Ishmel on the left, Wright on the right. I'd tell the defenders to get the ball wide as early as possible. I'd have Smith and Osborn in the middle, getting Ossie too sit deep and giving Smith more of a license to push forward.

If the ball gets into Claridge or Constable, they should have the option of an oncoming Smith or either winger to pass to.

That's how I like to see football played and I think we've got the personnel to do it. Unfortunately Broadhurst really is trying to nick 1-0 wins.

Agree 100% and I've said it several times since the other night.

Pead and Fox aren't suited to playing wing backs and Wright and Ish aren't suited to playing wing backs but we need goals and WINS so get them on as wingers. We have to be posititve.

We could have easily beaten Bournemouth and Vale if Claridge and Constable had options to lay the ball of to.

Completley backed up by where our goal came from yestaerday. The one time a player got to the bye line and put a cross in!!! Not rocket science is it.

Yesterdays performance was an improvement, but it could hardly get much worse could it!!! People aren't watching different games, we just all have different perspectives. Personally I was just bored silly yesterday in what I thought was a drab affair, but that is just my perspective.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:55 pm

Ill sum my report up in 3 words; we were crap.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Rob Samuel wrote:Osborn flattered to deceive a bit yesterday and should try and show the commiment of Keates who is a less gifted player but makes things happen through pure obstinancy. Good on him.

:?:
For me, Osborn was the best midfielder on the pitch yesterday and simply ran the game at times. Full credit to Keates for the goal and for his work rate - I do enjoy watching a player who cares so much, but when are people going to realise that running around a lot doesn't make a good player.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:32 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:Its players like him and James that have got us in this mess and the sooner they go the better.

Can't agree about James Kev. We've stopped scoring since he's been injured. He is a bit hit and miss but he's one of the few players we have who has pace, can cross well and can score goals. He's played very well in some games and was very committed in two of his last games Swansea and Tranmere. His pin point cross won us the game there.

The problem is Merson got plaudits for bringing good players into the club. The way he attracted them was to say, we'll have a laugh and a drink and won't take it to seriously. That means they're not coming to work hard and be committed like they should be so as soon as they have to like they have under KB they don't like it and lose interest.

Based on yesterdays game I can't understand criticism of Keates, Osborn or Fox. You can't have a go at players for previous performances. Judge them on what they did yesterday.

I think you're being a bit short sighted Rob about Keates. As long as there is someone to compliment Keates hard work and running then he's a good player to have. Osborn does compliment him. Problem is we didn't have the wingers to feed off the scraps and loose balls.

All Robbie Savage does is "run around a lot". I'd say he's a good player. Sorry but you have to appreciate the different types of midfielders. Keates was good enough to help us to promotion twice from this division and in my opinion he's improved as a player since then. Face it, we're a team about to get relegated from the same division (a much poorer version at that) so he's good enough.

First thing every professional should give is hard work and committment, all the best sides have it even if they're not the most talented (Wigan, Blackburn). If all players had shown Keates committment in the last few weeks regardless of quality we would now be safe.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:58 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I think you're being a bit short sighted Rob about Keates. As long as there is someone to compliment Keates hard work and running then he's a good player to have. Osborn does compliment him. Problem is we didn't have the wingers to feed off the scraps and loose balls.

All Robbie Savage does is "run around a lot". I'd say he's a good player. Sorry but you have to appreciate the different types of midfielders. Keates was good enough to help us to promotion twice from this division and in my opinion he's improved as a player since then. Face it, we're a team about to get relegated from the same division (a much poorer version at that) so he's good enough.

First thing every professional should give is hard work and committment, all the best sides have it even if they're not the most talented (Wigan, Blackburn). If all players had shown Keates committment in the last few weeks regardless of quality we would now be safe.

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh on him - as I said, he did play quite well and I like watching him play. I think there's room for a player like keates in every squad. I just feel that Keates doesn't fit in with the way we are trying to play. Broadhurst seems to want us to create chances from the centre of the pitch and I don't think Keates has the ability to be able to do that.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I just feel that Keates doesn't fit in with the way we are trying to play. Broadhurst seems to want us to create chances from the centre of the pitch and I don't think Keates has the ability to be able to do that.

I'll disagree there then as well because I think he fits exactly into the style that KB wants to play.

Unfortunately that style of play is to spoil, stop the other team from playing and not creeate chances at all, through the centre of the pitch or otherwise! :lol:

Rob Samuel

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:25 pm

I actually think Osborn was reasonable and he's obviously our best passer but he could up his work rate and show more tenacity. Keates is an example.

sore saddler

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Well not much more to say on the display which hasn't been said. It looks like we need a miracle.

Having banged on for weeks about Standing I was pleased to see him come on do well.
Although he is probably a long way from match fit he showed that he cares about the club and he has the skill that we have been so sadly lacking for weeks. If he doesn't start against Donny instead of Leary (who was dire !!) then KB wants his head examined !!!

If he plays and shows what he can do - then we might just have a very very slim chance of surviving !!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Rob Samuel wrote:I actually think Osborn was reasonable and he's obviously our best passer but he could up his work rate and show more tenacity. Keates is an example.

But the difference between the two is that Osborn's legs aren't up to doing all the running any more. I don't really think he needs to up his work rate when the ball is already given to him more than any other player in the side. Maybe it's a bad thing having to rely on one player, but Osborn makes us tick.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:24 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Rob Samuel wrote:I actually think Osborn was reasonable and he's obviously our best passer but he could up his work rate and show more tenacity. Keates is an example.

But the difference between the two is that Osborn's legs aren't up to doing all the running any more. I don't really think he needs to up his work rate when the ball is already given to him more than any other player in the side. Maybe it's a bad thing having to rely on one player, but Osborn makes us tick.

Exactly...again (fancy a debate about Mark Wright, this agreeing isn't good ;)) Osborn is about 10 years older than Keates RS!

Rob Samuel

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Exactly...again (fancy a debate about Mark Wright, this agreeing isn't good ;)) Osborn is about 10 years older than Keates RS!

I take your point but it's just that on a few occasions Osborn's attempts at tackling reminded me Of Dreary Leary which p!ssed me off a bit. I do recognise he's vital to our team although he'd be much better facilitated by having some more pace around him.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:04 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Exactly...again (fancy a debate about Mark Wright, this agreeing isn't good ;)) Osborn is about 10 years older than Keates RS!

:lol:
It's ok MMF - we don't need to have a debate about Mark Wright as we finally have a manager who realises he's useless. :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:07 am

Interesting comments about playing wingers - especially as it would involve playing Wright, whose confidence is shot to pieces and over half the crowd are booing. It's all very well saying you want "flying wingers" and "attacking football", but we ain't got the personnel, or the ones we have have no form at all. Simple as.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:48 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Interesting comments about playing wingers - especially as it would involve playing Wright, whose confidence is shot to pieces and over half the crowd are booing. It's all very well saying you want "flying wingers" and "attacking football", but we ain't got the personnel, or the ones we have have no form at all. Simple as.

Spot on. I'd keep the midfield the same for the time being with the exception of playing Standing instead of Leary. I'd give Standing a license to roam a bit more with the hope that he will create chances when he comes inside.
People were also saying that we shouldn't play Constable and as you say about the midfield Neil, we haven't got the personnel to change it unless we play Barrowman. :?

Tez66

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:40 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Interesting comments about playing wingers - especially as it would involve playing Wright, whose confidence is shot to pieces and over half the crowd are booing. It's all very well saying you want "flying wingers" and "attacking football", but we ain't got the personnel, or the ones we have have no form at all. Simple as.

Why Wright??

We have a "rejuvenated Talyor" and Demon to come in. We seem to have forgotten how Taylor burst on to the scene, pace, energy and more importantly GOALS

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41 am

Our midfield on Saturday was disastrous in that it created next to nothing all match. What is the point of going into a must-win home game with four midfield players whose have no idea how to create anything for the forwards?

I would drop Leary, Smith and Constable and bring in Wright, Demontagnac and Timm.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 am

Bernie wrote:Our midfield on Saturday was disastrous in that it created next to nothing all match. What is the point of going into a must-win home game with four midfield players whose have no idea how to create anything for the forwards .

thats been a major problem all season for me Bernie we have no creative
midfielder

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season