Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bournemouth (h), 11/4/06

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
sore saddler

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm

The end is nigh !
Couldn't make it .......... to be honest - glad I didn't.

How are we going to get out of this mess ?

Given that all the "loanees" are not going to be with us in League 2 we might as well start playing our "own" (I mean those contracted to play next year) players and at least getting the younger ones some experience. Sad state of affairs but I think that is all we are left with.

Start the rebuilding now - do it with people who are committed to the club ......... NOT the fancy dans who clearly think next season is an opportunity to go out on loan somewhere else !!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm

That's it, the fat lass is gargling.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:That's it, the fat lass is gargling.

Have you been watching my room?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

the_game wrote:they think its all over ................ IT IS NOW! :cry:

**BOSOC**

( that means both Broadhurst & Bonser get rid of them , they are a wats of space!! )
:lol:

As unrealistic as it may be, I agree. **BOSOC**

the_game

LEAGUE 2 , hehehe old divison 3 ......... don't we always go down after a few seasons?!!!

WE WILL BE BACK IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GIVE IT 5 YEARS!!!!! :?

merse-iah's disciple

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:36 pm

it must be all over now?

Please ref just put us out of our misery!

merse-iah's disciple

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 pm

AC wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:That's it, the fat lass is gargling.

Have you been watching my room?

Too much info AC!!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:43 pm

hms saddler

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:22 pm

KEVAN BROADHURST AND JEFF BONSER CAN YOU BOTH fudge OFF NOW?!!!

I am livid tonight, OK we played much better second half and maybe deserved a point but 3-5-2 at home and taking Claridge off and bringing Ishmel on?? Give me a break! Jeff Bonser you took the cheap option of hiring a manager that simply has not got it, you pay peanuts and you reap what you sow.

Hello League 2.

R.I.P WALSALL FC.

amazing red

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:28 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:KEVAN BROADHURST AND JEFF BONSER CAN YOU BOTH **** OFF NOW?!!!

I am livid tonight, OK we played much better second half and maybe deserved a point but 3-5-2 at home and taking Claridge off and bringing Ishmel on?? Give me a break! Jeff Bonser you took the cheap option of hiring a manager that simply has not got it, you pay peanuts and you reap what you sow.

Hello League 2.

R.I.P WALSALL FC.

is there any meaning to the last bunch of games or are we totally doomed!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:29 pm

Right, I'm fed up, so this is going to be a bit of a rant

I'm fed up with Walsall FC.

Tonight was another absolute pisspoor, heartless, gutless, weak, frightened, awful performance. First half we were utterly atrocious, I cant even work out if it was worse than saturday.

Our midfield was just completely non-existant, so was any movement.

Bournemouth didnt have much quality in their team, but they embarrassed us with simple football, and we made them look good. They just passed, and moved, passed, and moved and created chance after chance. Could have been 3-0 at half time if it were not for Andy Oakes.

I really don't know what to say, i'm trying to look at the big picture - but thats worse... us going down and gettting thrashed by third division sides instead.

A few comments on individuals...

Oakes; Superb saves, kept the score respectable
Fox; Atrocious, has been for a few games now, got beaten by every single ball over his head
Pead; Average, tried hard
Westwood; Average
Roper; plays like he's drunk when we play badly
Mills; slow and fat
Leary; Awful, off the pace totally
Keates; tried and tried
Osborn, poor
Constable; still a conference striker
Claridge; puts Barrowman, Fitzgerald, all and sundry strikers we've used recently to shame with his energetic and effective performances at the age of 40.

We were just so awful in the first half especially...you could formulate the story of the first half by cut and pasting the following;

Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball
Bournemouth keep ball and build attack
Bournemeouth create chance
Walsall get ball
Walsall pass the ball once
Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball

We had no ideas, no movement, no energy.... thats broadhursts responsibility.

Fair enough, Daz Hale & Co try to identify and focus on the positives, but raving about the played in the second half is missing the point slightly aint it? 1 point from 15 at home? 1 shot on target?

If a manager comes in a transforms a clubs' season you praise the manager to heaven, if a manager comes in a struggles, it's not his players etc. etc.

We are down now, im afraid. I was pretty sure we were down after saturday's match, but with a little bit of hope I could imagine putting a run together, so I went tonight, sung myself course, all to see this tripe.

For the first time ever I am considering not attending on saturday through choice, the only reason I will is because I know Oli would have.

I'm just so disgusted by the way we play, I'm not sure who's fault it is. Our lack of movement and energy and will to attack and score is the most basic football instinct, and we don't have it - why? God only knows, the shambles of the club, the loan players, the atmosphere, all that can't help, but normally players will pull through, grit their teeth and force a result, but these lot cant be bothered - maybe we've got too many rejects and half-arsed players?

As far as im concerned we're down, we've had the chance to pick up 15 points at home over the past 3/4 weeks, against all mediocre sides, we've picked up 1 point, simple as.

So, we're going down, well, where then? Broadhurst has to go. I gave him a chance, but he's got a fairly decent squad of players, but he's failed to install any kind of confidence, belief or motivation whatsoever.

I hope to god that the stories i'm hearing about Bonser shipping out are true, thats the only way we'll get a revamp of our club, clear out all the useless deadwood, half-arsed nobodies and get in a set of coaches and players who want to succeed. I'm not saying Broadhurst doesn't want to succeed, but when he did arrive, my initial reaction was one of 'oh my god, you idiot bonser' all because I felt he'd gone for a cheap option, well that seems to be what he's done, and it's backfired on him, just like sacking Lee, and employing Merson backfired on him. Bonser is an idiot, and he's milking us for all we're worth.

People come on the radio without really understanding the real issues. I like to think I do understand the real issues. People come on saying the board have to back the manager, Bonser has to back the manager, bla bla bla, but he never has, and never will...saying 'back the manager' to me is stupid, its what wolves fans constantly say.

What i'd love them to understand is that the board try to run the club on an even keel, spending money we can spend, etc. That's fine by me, I am in agreement with making sure you dont spend what you aint got...but what gets my goat is that we're milked by bonser ever year - thats why we cant afford a proper manager, a proper set of coaches, thats why we can only afford rejects and loans - because our dear owner takes £329,000 of every penny we make each year. And if we don't make £329,000, well it just gets added to the debt.

Thats the big problem at the club, we have an owner who is more interested in taking money off the club, so I hope to god he will leave the club be in the summer. We owe Bonser the fool nothing, nothing at all, he's already made several million out of us, and i'd say thats enough.

We're down, next season; No more Bonser, No more Broadhurst and other assorted idiotic, cheap, unwanted managerial wannabes, No more cheap options, No more crippling rent, No more, No More
Last edited by philthesaddler on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amazing red

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:29 pm

hullsaddler wrote:hms saddler

:cry:

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:33 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:
I am livid tonight, OK we played much better second half and maybe deserved a point

Ahem. Definitely not.

Ian Gittins

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:35 pm

Looking at the table, we're not doomed. We're 3 points of safety with five games to play - if we win three or four of them, chances are we will stay up. If ever our manager is going to prove his worth, now is the time.

amazing red

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:Looking at the table, we're not doomed. We're 3 points of safety with five games to play - if we win three or four of them, chances are we will stay up. If ever our manager is going to prove his worth, now is the time.

i agree looking at the table its not over yet,looking at the players they make me think otherwise! :(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:Looking at the table, we're not doomed. We're 3 points of safety with five games to play - if we win three or four of them, chances are we will stay up. If ever our manager is going to prove his worth, now is the time.

Ian, we can't score, let alone win.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:38 pm

What are the chances of that happening?

amazing red

booster cogburn wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:
I am livid tonight, OK we played much better second half and maybe deserved a point

Ahem. Definitely not.

2nd half was better but still nothing to gain any hope off!

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

philthesaddler wrote:Right, I'm fed up, so this is going to be a bit of a rant

Tonight was another absolute pisspoor, heartless, gutless, weak, frightened, awful performance. First half we were utterly atrocious, I cant even work out if it was worse than saturday.

Bournemouth didnt have much quality in their team, but they embarrassed us with simple football, and we made them look good. They just passed, and moved, passed, and moved and created chance after chance. Could have been 3-0 at half time if it were not for Andy Oakes.

I really don't know what to say, i'm trying to look at the big picture - but thats worse... us going down and gettting thrashed by third division sides instead.

Fox; Atrocious, has been for a few games now, got beaten by every single ball over his head
Westwood; Average
Mills; slow and fat
Keates; tried and tried
Osborn, poor
Claridge; puts Barrowman, Fitzgerald, all and sundry strikers we've used recently to shame with his energetic and effective performances at the age of 40.

We were just so awful in the first half especially...you could formulate the story of the first half by cut and pasting the following;

Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball
Walsall get ball
Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball

Fair enough, Daz Hale & Co try to identify and focus on the positives, but raving about the played in the second half is missing the point slightly aint it? 1 point from 15 at home? 1 shot on target?

If a manager comes in a transforms a clubs' season you praise the manager to heaven, if a manager comes in a struggles, it's not his players etc. etc.

We are down now, im afraid. I was pretty sure we were down after saturday's match, but with a little bit of hope I could imagine putting a run together, so I went tonight, sung myself course, all to see this tripe.

For the first time ever I am considering not attending on saturday through choice, the only reason I will is because I know Oli would have.

I'm just so disgusted by the way we play, I'm not sure who's fault it is. Our lack of movement and energy and will to attack and score is the most basic football instinct, and we don't have it - why? God only knows, the shambles of the club, the loan players, the atmosphere, all that can't help, but normally players will pull through, grit their teeth and force a result, but these lot cant be bothered - maybe we've got too many rejects and half-arsed players?

As far as im concerned we're down, we've had the chance to pick up 15 points at home over the past 3/4 weeks, against all mediocre sides, we've picked up 1 point, simple as.

So, we're going down, well, where then? Broadhurst has to go. I gave him a chance, but he's got a fairly decent squad of players, but he's failed to install any kind of confidence, belief or motivation whatsoever.

I hope to god that the stories i'm hearing about Bonser shipping out are true, thats the only way we'll get a revamp of our club, clear out all the useless deadwood, half-arsed nobodies and get in a set of coaches and players who want to succeed. I'm not saying Broadhurst doesn't want to succeed, but when he did arrive, my initial reaction was one of 'oh my god, you idiot bonser' all because I felt he'd gone for a cheap option, well that seems to be what he's done, and it's backfired on him, just like sacking Lee, and employing Merson backfired on him. Bonser is an idiot, and he's milking us for all we're worth.

People come on the radio without really understanding the real issues. I like to think I do understand the real issues. People come on saying the board have to back the manager, Bonser has to back the manager, bla bla bla, but he never has, and never will...saying 'back the manager' to me is stupid, its what wolves fans constantly say.

What i'd love them to understand is that the board try to run the club on an even keel, spending money we can spend, etc. That's fine by me, I am in agreement with making sure you dont spend what you aint got...but what gets my goat is that we're milked by bonser ever year - thats why we cant afford a proper manager, a proper set of coaches, thats why we can only afford rejects and loans - because our dear owner takes £329,000 of every penny we make each year. And if we don't make £329,000, well it just gets added to the debt.

Thats the big problem at the club, we have an owner who is more interested in taking money off the club, so I hope to god he will leave the club be in the summer. We owe Bonser the fool nothing, nothing at all, he's already made several million out of us, and i'd say thats enough.

We're down, next season; No more Bonser, No more Broadhurst and other assorted idiotic, cheap, unwanted managerial wannabes, No more cheap options, No more crippling rent, No more, No More

:shock: Such a long post and too many silly, old, probably libellous chestnuts about Bonser to bother arguing with. Someone will though, no doubt.

bazzaboy2006

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 pm

ian have you been down the bescot any of the last 5 home games??

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 pm

Absolutley p!ssed off, Ok 2nd half was alot better, fight was there..But no end product. we got forward but went no where. Claridge worked hes b@ollox off. He is 40 and worked harder than constable who is about 20 years younger. Why the hell he took him off i do not know, but the fans told him what they fuc**in thought! we are doomed now tonight was the one and we have blew it. Cheers bradhurst and bonsor. Good night walsall f.c

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:44 pm

It's a nice idea in theory but even if we continue to show the same application and effort we showed in the second half tonight, it probably won't happen. I fear that KB is just as clueless as Merson, especially when it comes to the use of substitutions to try and change a game.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:47 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:KEVAN BROADHURST AND JEFF BONSER CAN YOU BOTH **** OFF NOW?!!!

Hello League 2.

R.I.P WALSALL FC.

3-5-2????? There is absolutley no way that was the formation tonight. Try 5-3-2 at home!!!! No width and just punting the ball down the middle pretty much sums up Broadhursts tactics. Why, in what was a massive game, does he change the system to something that we haven't played for months and again tinker with personnel??? Wasn't it Chris Nicholl who said that footballers are stupid. God didn't it show as every time the ball went out of play our back 5 pointed at each other and into spaces on the wings looking as though they hadn't got a clue. 0 points from 6, is how it reads. At this moment in time I don't care, I am only going on Saturday because I have a season ticket.

Broadhurst hasn't got a clue, it is as simple as that. Who had that Merson out flag??? Think it needs to be tippexed out and replaced with Bonsor and Broadhurst's names!!! :shock:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

booster cogburn wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Right, I'm fed up, so this is going to be a bit of a rant

Westwood; Average
Mills; slow and fat
Keates; tried and tried
Osborn, poor

Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball
Walsall get ball
Walsall lose ball
Bournemouth win ball

:shock: Such a long post and too many silly, old, probably libellous chestnuts about Bonser to bother arguing with. Someone will though, no doubt.

It's the way it is though, Bonser has crippled us, and we're paying for it now.

Have you thought what might happen this summer? Seriously? Going down is bad, bad news for us financially - we may well go out of business...Now who's a fu*cking fault for that? Me? You? Any of the fans? One Man. Mr Jeffrey W Bonser.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

The second half absolutely definitely deserved some reward. We've scored a pefectly good goal, the ball from Westwood's header was a good foot over the line. We've had 2 nailed-on 2nd half penalties turned down by a totally incompetent referee.

Yeovil and Brizzle we deserved nowt, tonight we were unlucky in the 2nd half, even though we could have been dead and buried by half-time.

Gutted by this result, absolutely blazing about the officials, and utterly perplexed by the substitution of Claridge when we needed GOALS. Unbelievable decision by Broadhurst, the man is a liability.

Off for a pint now, drown (some of) my sorrows ! :twisted:

steggy

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:49 pm

we werent as bad as saturday at least most of the players showed some fight.
but for me leary was just jogging round doing little or nothing.

we can only hope the results start going for us

or we're doomed

amazing red

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:52 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:The second half absolutely definitely deserved some reward. We've scored a pefectly good goal, the ball from Westwood's header was a good foot over the line. We've had 2 nailed-on 2nd half penalties turned down by a totally incompetent referee.

Yeovil and Brizzle we deserved nowt, tonight we were unlucky in the 2nd half, even though we could have been dead and buried by half-time.

Gutted by this result, absolutely blazing about the officials, and utterly perplexed by the substitution of Claridge when we needed GOALS. Unbelievable decision by Broadhurst, the man is a liability.

Off for a pint now, drown (some of) my sorrows ! :twisted:

better get a case in if you have a look at the table :shock:

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:54 pm

philthesaddler wrote:It's the way it is though, Bonser has crippled us, and we're paying for it now.

Come on someone, I'm too tired.

amazing red

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:56 pm

booster cogburn wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:[It's the way it is though, Bonser has crippled us, and we're paying for it now.

Come on someone, put him right, I'm too tired.

i dont disagree things are looking bad :!:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:58 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Ok 2nd half was alot better, fight was there..But no end product.

Sums us up at the moment. Dare I say it, if Fryatt had been playing tonight, we'd have got at leaat a point. First half, we were awful, second half we really put them under pressure. I don't neccessarily think the defence were that bad tonight. Pead played like he had a point to prove - what was disappointing was the fact that he had nobody playing in front of him so often struggled to find a pass. The same applied to Fox, who looked better than he has done recently in the second half, but had a nightmare in the first half. I just couldn't understand how they were finding so much space down the flanks with us playing 5 at the back. Roper's foul which led to the penalty seemed to encourage him to play better after that. He handled Steve Fletcher very well, which can't be easy. Westwood at least offered us something different in terms of distribution. Rather than the aimless big boot down the middle, at least he looks for a pass to feet.

The biggest disappointment for me was the fact that Broadhurst left it until the 80th minute to make a change when we never really looked like scoring. Saying that, Claridge had a golden oppertunity to level the score in the first half, but he blazed it over the bar. On the subject of chances, the Westwood header looked a good foot over the line from where I was sat, but it seems you get no luck down at the bottom of the league.
We wasted a position in midfield also. Considering the position we're in, I didn't see the point having both Keates and Leary alongside Osborn - we'd have been better off playing Devlin instead of Leary.

I have to admit, I'm trying to take the positives from the game. It must be said that Bournemouth's movement and passing ripped us to shreds at times in the first half.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season