Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bournemouth (h), 11/4/06

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:41 am

King Crimson wrote:
When we had possession, the lack of support for the man on the ball was sometimes shocking. :x

100% correct KC

Midfield support for our forwards as been a major problem all season
in the same the deffence lack cover from midfield
time and time again teams split us wide open i can remember as far back as
the Swansea and Chesterfield home games we never seem to get the right balance in midffield and we dont have a play maker

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:54 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
When we had possession, the lack of support for the man on the ball was sometimes shocking. :x

100% correct KC

Midfield support for our forwards as been a major problem all season
...we never seem to get the right balance in midffield and we dont have a play maker

We do and his name is Michael Standing. Where has he been all year? For me, the obvious change last night was to take Leary off and bring on Timm. Get someone who could give the man on the ball and option and link play to the front two. He gave the ball away a bit when he came on but he was trying to get us moving without resorting to the direct ball.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:31 am

Timm needs to play from the start against Port Fail. So many threads are saying we needs someone who can create or run with the ball, well he can and he showed that at times against Bradford. Okay, I acknowledge he is a bit of a fancy dan and shows too many tricks at times but we need to create something to score so he is worth his place, probably playing off Claridge.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 am

Or just start with Standing - creative, without giving the ball away cheaply. I agree, we have to play with more creativity from the start on Saturday.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:47 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Or just start with Standing - creative, without giving the ball away cheaply. I agree, we have to play with more creativity from the start on Saturday.

But he's had one reserve game after being out weeks with an injury. Hardly match fit.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:53 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Or just start with Standing - creative, without giving the ball away cheaply. I agree, we have to play with more creativity from the start on Saturday.

But he's had one reserve game after being out weeks with an injury. Hardly match fit.

Well, he isn't playing for the reserves this afternoon, so either he's fit enough to be able to miss playing for the reserves, or he's injured again.

London Saddler

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:55 am

Another couple of interesting points to note

When we were due to play Bournemouth in the inital fixture that was called off, they were in the middle of a poor run, with confidence low and struggling with injuries. We were in the middle of our new managers honeymoon period. What price a different result if we had made more of an effort to get the original fixture on?

Secondly, guess who scored the winner yesterday? James Hayter. There has been a lot of interest in him this season. Bournemouth have struggled in the league and have debts to pay. So did they cash in? Did they heck! He got a new 2 year contract. He continued banging inthe goals (yesterday was his 20th). Bournemouth secured their Div 1 status. And his value has soared so if they do decide to sell him this summer, they will get a much better price. Contrast that with Walsall FC. And who are Bournemouth run by and who we are run by?!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:00 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Spot on about substitutions, we were screaming at the bench to make changes after 60 minutes. Anyone who thinks the HLF lot are asleep should have been in there around us tonight!

Taking off Claridge ? Bizarre in the extreme, the one bloke on our side who was running and battling. If he tells KB to stuff it (and he doesn't need the money, so why not), he's got my backing, because KB was well out of order tonight with his absolutely UNREAL decisions !

True Geoff...I've rarely seen the Fellows stand getting quite so worked up! There were a few coronaries brewing last night! Bill Jones almost took the head off the Linesman after he disallowed the goal!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:01 am

London Saddler wrote:Another couple of interesting points to note

When we were due to play Bournemouth in the inital fixture that was called off, they were in the middle of a poor run, with confidence low and struggling with injuries. We were in the middle of our new managers honeymoon period. What price a different result if we had made more of an effort to get the original fixture on?

We said that last night. If the game had been on it could have all been so different as our confidence was up.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:11 am

Ive seen very little from Standing to suggest he's the answer to our
midfield problems to be fair he's never had a decent run in the starting 11
mainly becuase he's injury prone . the last play maker we had was Skora
yes there were doubts his fitness at the time but i feel we missed out big time by not taking a chance on him

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 pm

London Saddler wrote:Another couple of interesting points to note

Secondly, guess who scored the winner yesterday? James Hayter. There has been a lot of interest in him this season. Bournemouth have struggled in the league and have debts to pay. So did they cash in? Did they heck! He got a new 2 year contract. He continued banging inthe goals (yesterday was his 20th). Bournemouth secured their Div 1 status. And his value has soared so if they do decide to sell him this summer, they will get a much better price. Contrast that with Walsall FC. And who are Bournemouth run by and who we are run by?!

Two very good points. WFC please take note.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:The difference between Bournemouth and us last night was movement. When they had possession, their midfield and forwards were like woodlice from under a flowerpot, scattering and splitting, creating options and causing defensive problems. When they didn't have the ball, they closed down, challenged, and either retrieved possession or (more often) forced our midfielders to pass back to a centre half for the (inevitable) hoof, whereby they pick up the pieces from the loose ball.

When we had possession, the lack of support for the man on the ball was sometimes shocking. Players strolling up field, or even running away from the man with the ball, leaving him surrounded by blue shirts, with the only hope being to kick it against one for a throw in or corner.

Second half we were better. Wing backs bombed on, but to me the team is crying out for a midfielder who can and will carry the ball forward.

The enthusiasm for 'the Demon' being brought on never ceases to amaze me. One jinking run, ending in the inevitable loss of the ball - and that's it. Here's a tip Ish: If you lift your head up while you run, you increase the chances of seeing other players (ours and theirs) by a considerable amount. :x

The first two paragraphs are fudge spot on KC. People were slagging off Constable but the majority of the time he had the ball there were absolutely no options open to him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
King Crimson wrote:The difference between Bournemouth and us last night was movement. When they had possession, their midfield and forwards were like woodlice from under a flowerpot, scattering and splitting, creating options and causing defensive problems. When they didn't have the ball, they closed down, challenged, and either retrieved possession or (more often) forced our midfielders to pass back to a centre half for the (inevitable) hoof, whereby they pick up the pieces from the loose ball.

When we had possession, the lack of support for the man on the ball was sometimes shocking. Players strolling up field, or even running away from the man with the ball, leaving him surrounded by blue shirts, with the only hope being to kick it against one for a throw in or corner.

Second half we were better. Wing backs bombed on, but to me the team is crying out for a midfielder who can and will carry the ball forward.

The enthusiasm for 'the Demon' being brought on never ceases to amaze me. One jinking run, ending in the inevitable loss of the ball - and that's it. Here's a tip Ish: If you lift your head up while you run, you increase the chances of seeing other players (ours and theirs) by a considerable amount. :x

The first two paragraphs are fudge spot on KC. People were slagging off Constable but the majority of the time he had the ball there were absolutely no options open to him.

Hey! All my paragraphs are fudge spot on, Dave! :wink:

I'm glad you see it that way. I spoke to someone on the way back to the car, and honestly wondered which game he'd been to that night. Still, four and a half thousand attendees, four and a half thousand opinions and all that.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:58 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

Hey! All my paragraphs are fudge spot on, Dave! :wink:

I'm glad you see it that way. I spoke to someone on the way back to the car, and honestly wondered which game he'd been to that night. Still, four and a half thousand attendees, four and a half thousand opinions and all that.

Actually, reading those paragraphs again, I don't agree with you. They were more like woodlice from under a rotting log, rather than a flowerpot. But hey, you got close enough :wink: :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Dave Roe wrote:

we were saying exactly the same thing about Fraytt earlier this season
with decent support how many more goals would he have scored

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:39 pm

We were bad, Head shakingly bad..... Coming forward it was like watching juniour school football with no overlapping no creativity :cry:

Second half was better but lets face it, couldn't get much worse could it.

Fox is playing like he is under instructions from his mate Merse to send us down... Where was the Width last night????

All to easy from a team only a few points above us in the league. :evil:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:47 pm

"Forget anything you have heard about the 2nd half" !!

Bit up ourself aren't we London ? Our facts and opinions not count then ?

I was there Mate, and I'm definitely not forgetting what I saw. We definitely had two stone-wall penalties turned down and a goal chalked out, all by the incompetence of the referee and assistant, any of which would have drawn or maybe won the game.

Many points in your post I agree with 100%, but on the subject of the second-half you got it wrong. B'mouth wanted the points and did not come out second-half to relax, they simply got over-powered and pushed-back when we stepped up our game. Sadly thanks to poor finishing and the ref with those three particular incidents, we were unlucky and got no reward.

We can, and did, play a bit when we can be ar$ed !

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:21 pm

Perhaps we were hard done to in terms of the officiating. (Always more noticable when in the position we're in) That said, and when weighing up our overall performance, it's worth remembering Bournemouth hadn't won away in their last ten and on paper this was perhaps the easiest of our remaining games.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah we upped our game a bit in the second half (it could hardly get any worse could it ?), but it was still somewhere between bad and useless. No options, no forward runs, no width, no overlapping, too much hiding behind markers, no sign of being clinical (or anything resembling it) in front of goal, static midfield, isolated strikeforce, half asleep defence (and that was the second half !).

Doomed !

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season