Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (H) 8/4/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:23 pm

OK THEN...ITS NOT SUCH A BAD IDEA GOING DOWN...WE WILL GET A NEW MANAGER...NOW THAT WILL BE EXCITING...AND WE CAN PLAY TEAMS THAT ARE WORSE THAN US...WE HAVE GOT A CHANCE OF WINNING A TROPHY...AND A CHANCE TO BRING SOME YOUNGSTERS THROUGH...COME ON GUYS...THIS IS WALSALL...IF WE DIDNT GET RELIGATED FROM TIME TO TIME WE WOULDN'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO HAVE ANYTHING EXCEPT MEDIOCRATY YEAR IN YEAR OUT...SO COME ON LADS...LETS LOOK UPON IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY...UP THE STRADDLERS... :oops:

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:39 pm

New scoreboard, new sponsors for the away stand, same old cack on the pitch. Where has all the commitment gone, where has all the passion gone, where are walsall going? League Two, that's the answer. We can't possibly stay up with performances like this, bring on next season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Really don't know what to say.

No complaints about the result, they could have had 6, we struggled to make their keeper do any work.

The lack of confidence is showing, we're almost scared to go forward, players are making stupid mistakes left right and centre.

The rot has really set in at the club, whichever division we are in next season, the club needs a complete clearout - including the manager, the honeymoon period is over with Broadhurst and I don't think he's anything more than the cheap option. There was a honeymoon period, 3 very good away performances, but you often see that with new managers

As for Bonser, well I made my feelings clear about him last week on many threads, the lack of interest and the unprofessionalism filters down from the very top, so I really hope he does sell up in the summer - the club is an utter shambles, and that's putting it mildly. He's the man at the top, the buck stops with him, I know he can't have too much of an effect on what goes on on the pitch, but at the end of the day he's allowed Merson to be manager, he's allowed the ridiculously high turnover of players, he's allowed us to drop in to debts that we can't pay off, he should pack it in now, and let us get back on our feet.

r_a_perks

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:48 pm

sid swifty wrote:OK THEN...ITS NOT SUCH A BAD IDEA GOING DOWN...WE WILL GET A NEW MANAGER...NOW THAT WILL BE EXCITING...AND WE CAN PLAY TEAMS THAT ARE WORSE THAN US...WE HAVE GOT A CHANCE OF WINNING A TROPHY...AND A CHANCE TO BRING SOME YOUNGSTERS THROUGH...COME ON GUYS...THIS IS WALSALL...IF WE DIDNT GET RELIGATED FROM TIME TO TIME WE WOULDN'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO HAVE ANYTHING EXCEPT MEDIOCRATY YEAR IN YEAR OUT...SO COME ON LADS...LETS LOOK UPON IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY...UP THE STRADDLERS... :oops:

Ive been to several league 2 matches this year, and trust me, they are painful. Nothing to look forward to.

Least we can say hi to joachim and aranalde

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 pm

That has to be one of the worst, most shambolic excuses for a performance I have ever seen and believe me I have seen some dire games.

If I hadn't already got the tickets I would not be going to the Bournemouth match on Tuesday, I reckon we will be lucky to get 3,500 Tuesday.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 pm

r_a_perks wrote:
sid swifty wrote:OK THEN...ITS NOT SUCH A BAD IDEA GOING DOWN...WE WILL GET A NEW MANAGER...NOW THAT WILL BE EXCITING...AND WE CAN PLAY TEAMS THAT ARE WORSE THAN US...WE HAVE GOT A CHANCE OF WINNING A TROPHY...AND A CHANCE TO BRING SOME YOUNGSTERS THROUGH...COME ON GUYS...THIS IS WALSALL...IF WE DIDNT GET RELIGATED FROM TIME TO TIME WE WOULDN'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO HAVE ANYTHING EXCEPT MEDIOCRATY YEAR IN YEAR OUT...SO COME ON LADS...LETS LOOK UPON IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY...UP THE STRADDLERS... :oops:

Ive been to several league 2 matches this year, and trust me, they are painful. Nothing to look forward to.

Least we can say hi to joachim and aranalde
WELL JOACHIM MAYBE..BUT ARANALDE WILL BE GOING THE OTHER WAY MATE... :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes between Tranmere and Yeovil games, because since then, we've been absolutely atrocious. I know many people won't see it the same way because they are already resigned to relegation, but Tuesday's game is the biggest we've had for ages. If we lose on Tuesday, the fat lady will sing!

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:16 pm

What a joke. Broadhurst is just as bad as Merson. We have replaced one idiot with another. Mark Wright at right back? Dean Keates at left wing? Mills & Leary in the middle? Where exactly were we going to create chances? Constable off, so that we could put Leary on the right wing? Square pegs and round holes me thinks. The guy has absolutley no idea and the performances at home have been absolutlely shambolic, and there was me thinking all this team needed was some organisation and training. Christ, this guy must not turn up at Bescot until match time!!! I have just heard him on the radio, fills me with confidence he does!!!

We made 2 changes!!!! Where was the third??? Surely it was worth throwing Timm on as at least an attempt to create something or even as a gesture of actually wanting to get a goal!!! Roper and Gerrard were the rock of last season's escape, well this season they are going to be one of the main causes of the relegation because they are shocking!

Cheesed off, if we go down, it will be desperation times because this club needs gutting from owner through to players. That is one major overhaul, and to do it in league 2 is going to take more than 1 season let me tell you.

At one point I looked to the heavens and I could swear that the only black cloud in the area was lashing down rain over Bescot!!! It looks grim!!!

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Utter disgrace. A manager with half a brain would get this squad flying up the league??? Well, what does that make Broadhurst then?

This is garbage of the very highest order ladies and gents, and I get the distinct impression that we haven't seen the worst of it yet, not by a long way.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Last edited by hullsaddler on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:21 pm

WFC-Rob says If we lose on Tuesday, the fat lady will sing!

And here she is. And I'm afraid she's already started!
Last edited by hullsaddler on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

well i blame mick kearns for all of this, every time he says something like i dont really think much of the opposition to be quite honest, i;m tempted to phone him up and tell him to shut up. there we were again today 0.0 and he opens his gob, to be honest i dont think bristol are ever going to score, too his mate in the commentary box, and thats a sure sign that they will go on and score six or seven! good old mick. :oops:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:59 pm

I won't say too much yet, I need time to compose myself and get my head around this utter and complete tripe that we've witnessed today.

Yet another very average team just took us apart, despite giving the ball away to us as much as we gave it to them for most of the first half.

But for three great Oakes saves it would have been 6, and to think I have to admit THAT when all we've played against today is an average side that, on this form, would probably get beaten in most away matches, well it almost defies belief.

What can I say that describes the situation? It's just a total embarrassment to think that MY football team has descended to the depths of this kind of performance. If it was a one-off, I might still hold out some hope, but it's become the same thing game after game after game, utterly and completely USELESS.

I shall be there on Tuesday, but thank God I'm going away on Friday for the Easter Break. I don't think I can sit through too much more of this kind of stuff!

Only Oakes came out of this with credit, how the MoM award could go to Gerrard is beyond belief !

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:07 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:3-0 reverse

I'm getting good at these predictions.

When you lose 3 0 at home and the only player to emerge from the game with any credit is your goalkeeper (it could easily have been 7-0 without him making some tremendous saves) then little else needs saying.

Another game where it looked like we wouldn't have scored if the opposition hadn't bothered with a goalkeeper, more completely inept defending (from all four of them), another utterly anonymous midfield display (Keates isn't good enough, Leary isn't good enough, Mills should be at the back, Devlin hasn't got what it takes to be a winger any more), another case of watching two strikers starved of any service whatsoever.

Depressing, maddening - we're down.

And how cheerful it is that the clown who put us in this position was laughing and joking on the Football Focus sofa a couple of hours before the game without a care in the world, probably earning more for that hour's work than I do in six months.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:14 pm

People have said it could have been 6 or 7. Absolutely right. Oakes made 3 top drawer saves and their strikers also missed a hatful of good chances.

Even under Hibbitt and Barnwell when we really were utter crap there was more passion and commitment than today.

This current side are worse, much worse than the dismal side we saw during those dark days.

No passion, no commitment, no idea, no hope.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Well you could pretty much cut and paste the match report from Yeovil or Blackpool and use the same words to describe it - gutless, heartless, dispassionate, inept, etc etc I'm getting fed up of saying the same old things.
Oakes - three outstanding saves made up for a few jitters previously
Wright - combine a player low on confidence, out of form, getting booed by the crowd with being played out of position and what do you get? Bingo! A 'mare.
Fox - completely lost heart in recent weeks. Since Merson left in fact. Ain't that a surprise.
Roper - still overweight and utterly outplayed by the impressive Cotterill. Completely unprofessional to give away a penalty for lunging in but a leopard doesn't change it's spots.
Gerrard - See Fox. Oh and "Antnee", if you put as much effort into your performances as you did to mouthing off at the crowd at the end then we might stop shipping goals left right and centre.
Devlin - please leave now you little Brummie waste of space. To get paid your wages and then turn in performances like that week in and week out is taking the mick.
Keates - the fact he is head and shoulders above every other outfield player on effort alone shows how far we have fallen.
Mills - you can clear off too. What's happened since Tranmere?
Claridge - Old, past his best, wears number 10 and spends most of the time on the half way line with his hands on his hips. Sound like anyone? No service, but even when he was played the ball it bounced 10 yards off him anyway, so what's the point?
Constable - showed willingness, had some efforts on goal, harried defenders, won headers, gave 100%. So he gets subbed.
Demontagnac + Osborn - wanted to get on the ball and tried to create things going forward for which they deserve some credit.
Broadhurst - His job is on the line more than anyone else at the club. So why keep interchanging the equally hapless Wright and Westwood and right back? Why take off Constable? I know Merson has left him in a right mess but he's not doing much to change things at the moment.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:00 pm

I have tried to be positive recently but the trapdoor is inching open. What has happened to the team since that super performance at Tranmere? I am no fan of Oakes but, as many have already said, he was our man-of-the-match today and that says it all, really.

Any criticism of Broadhurst has to be tempered with sympathy for the mess he inherited from that incompetent buffoon who ruined the playing side of the club. However, he will soon lose any sympathy from fans (if he hasn't already done so) by his team selections and substitutions. Why, oh, why is Wright STILL selected despite being one of the worst players in League One (only Barrowman could be worse)? I know that Pead and Westwood have their critics on here but surely either of them are better right backs than that useless twerp, Wright? Why was Constable, our only player to try to shoot on goal, taken off and replaced by a midfield player? What has happened to Mills? I quite liked him but today he was truly awful and I gather he was just as bad, last week. Even Devlin, who had shown encouraging signs of good form recently, was ineffective. He did not beat his man once. Fox is having a terrible time. His confidence is shot through but he is our only left back and has no competition for his place. Now, let me see, who released all our other left-footed defenders as part of his unbalancing of our squad?

On the subject of M****n, I also seethed with anger when I saw him on Football Focus, today. Since he was sacked, he has appeared on BBC, Carlton (Central), Sky and Bravo. Could we all write to the Heads of Sport on these stations and ask them to keep this prat off our screens. He is now earning a fat living as a pundit and expert!!!!!

Expert on what, exactly - being a p*sshead, clown and incompetent manager?? :evil: :evil:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:06 pm

Utter dross...

For someone who normally writes quite a lot after a game, thats all I need to say.

I was speaking to Roy Whalley on the way to take a leak just before the final whistle, he was as seething as everyone else. He asked me how I thought the funeral went yesterday, and he summed up everyone's thoughts on UTS..."Its a shame that that lot on the pitch couldn't show the passion of your friend (Oli)".
A direct quote, and yet again, it shows that Roy Whalley is the only person with any real power within the football club that can see the sh!te that is being served up.

Broadhurst has used up the sympathy that I had when he first came in. The last three games have been the worst in my 10+ seasons of being a Saddler...they make some of Merson's weaker performances look like Brazil in the 1970 World Cup.

Utter sh!te...the obvlivion of the Fourth Division awaits...and the first sub-4000 league crowd in a decade awaits on Tuesday night.

Timbuktu Saddler

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Recent performances may be a little bit off the pace, but don't forget that we've got a spanking new "state of the art" scoreboard and a splendid new sponsor for the away stand ( the most populous part of the stadium).

Well done Jeff - and remember to put the rent up again.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:I have tried to be positive recently but the trapdoor is inching open. What has happened to the team since that super performance at Tranmere? I am no fan of Oakes but, as many have already said, he was our man-of-the-match today and that says it all, really.

Any criticism of Broadhurst has to be tempered with sympathy for the mess he inherited from that incompetent buffoon who ruined the playing side of the club. However, he will soon lose any sympathy from fans (if he hasn't already done so) by his team selections and substitutions. Why, oh, why is Wright STILL selected despite being one of the worst players in League One (only Barrowman could be worse)? I know that Pead and Westwood have their critics on here but surely either of them are better right backs than that useless twerp, Wright? Why was Constable, our only player to try to shoot on goal, taken off and replaced by a midfield player? What has happened to Mills? I quite liked him but today he was truly awful and I gather he was just as bad, last week. Even Devlin, who had shown encouraging signs of good form recently, was ineffective. He did not beat his man once. Fox is having a terrible time. His confidence is shot through but he is our only left back and has no competition for his place. Now, let me see, who released all our other left-footed defenders as part of his unbalancing of our squad?

On the subject of M****n, I also seethed with anger when I saw him on Football Focus, today. Since he was sacked, he has appeared on BBC, Carlton (Central), Sky and Bravo. Could we all write to the Heads of Sport on these stations and ask them to keep this prat off our screens. He is now earning a fat living as a pundit and expert!!!!!

Expert on what, exactly - being a p*sshead, clown and incompetent manager?? :evil: :evil:

Bang on Leamore.

Fox and Gerrard get praise from all quarters but both have been pants in recent weeks.

Oakes was easily MOTM but I thought Constable worked hard to no real effect. I didn't see much of the second half but I also though Claridge was very effective in the first half. Eveyr time he got the ball it stuck to him and he waited for support to lay it off to, just what we have needed all season. The only problem is the team had no attacking intent to take advantage of it.

Up until now I've held off on criticism of Broadhurst but today was a bit too much. Unlike Merson who chose his players to work with, Broadhurst hasn't got that luxury but I can't believe the team he had performing like they did at Tranmere just a few weeks ago are now playing under him like the did at Blackpool and today.

His team selection was odd, his tactics odd. Why the hell take Constable off and bring Osborn on, even if Devlin went up front?

We saw Middlesborough pile strikers on for defenders on Thursday night in a much more important game yet we're being negative when 2-0 down in a crucial home game.

I've said it for a couple of weeks, we're playing like a team of no confidence that is resigned to relegation and I can't see anything changing.

They're good enough but the confidence is shot and won't be reversed.

After another performance like that I don't think Broadhurst should be in charge next season either.

Hey, lets fully go back and get Hibbitt back. He wants to get back into the game doesn't he?

Seriously, get Nicholl in. He must have been watching today and thinking what he could have done if Bonser hadn't been so tight and gave him the money he wanted.

Greg WP

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:23 pm

Timbuktu Saddler wrote:Recent performances may be a little bit off the pace, but don't forget that we've got a spanking new "state of the art" scoreboard and a splendid new sponsor for the away stand ( the most populous part of the stadium).

Yes and the impressive new score board failed to register Bristols first goal for a few minutes.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:25 pm

Greg WP wrote:
Timbuktu Saddler wrote:Recent performances may be a little bit off the pace, but don't forget that we've got a spanking new "state of the art" scoreboard and a splendid new sponsor for the away stand ( the most populous part of the stadium).

Yes and the impressive new score board failed to register Bristols first goal for a few minutes.

and when it did, the D was missing from Dave :lol:

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:45 pm

An absolutely disgraceful performance.

It looks like they've already given up, they don't look bothered.

Much as people slagged off the previous manager, at least he got them playing an attacking game.

This one serves us up with volleyball.

As someone said earlier, if I didn't already have my ticket for Tuesday, I don't think I'd be there.

futuresobright

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Does anyone think Kevan is doing a better job that PM?
I wonder just how embarrased Geordie etc. feel about their campaign.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:45 pm

What can i say that has'nt already been said
we are going down i know it and more importantly the players have accepted it we could have lost 6 or 7 had oakes not made 3 super saves
far to easly we were torn apart if we played till midnight we would not of scored. I was baffled by the subs bringing Constable and Mills off but at least ozzie and ishy looked interested and tried to make things happen
I can accept being crap but i can't accept that a bunch of loanee has beens dont give a toss about WFC.
YES WE ARE 3 POINTS AWAY FROM SAFTY BUT WE MAY AS WELL BE 30
SHREWSBURY HERE WE COME
WE HAVE GONE BACK 10 YEARS IN 2 YEARS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:02 pm

futuresobright wrote:Does anyone think Kevan is doing a better job that PM?

I for one do not feel remotely embarrased that I may have played a part in Merson's demise. The evidence is what is happening now. It's what he left us with, and what we are having to unfortunately endure on a match by match basis, whatever the shortcomings of KB.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:26 pm

futuresobright - You have the mental capacity of a small child.

Zippy - When exactly did this attacking football happen in 2006 or since Fryatt left? It's been a very long time since we've seen decent football and that includes under Merson.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:14 pm

futuresobright wrote:Does anyone think Kevan is doing a better job that PM?

Not embarrased at all, i think MMF was being polite really. It isn't all Merson's fault, of course it isn't, but a huge part of what has happened is down to him.

The players clearly don't want to play for KB, probably got the same attitude as idiots like you.
Whats wrong? having to work for a living now lads.

KB might not be the answer, but lets be fair about this, it was one hell of a job he took on in the first place.

Think about the position we where in the day Merson walked through our doors, and where we are now, he was a cancer that has spread throughout the club, including Jeff Bonser.

London Saddler

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:18 pm

Irrelevant performance in an irrelevant game. We were relegated a long time ago. I have felt since January that we were certainties for relegation. In fact had Fryatt left last summer, i think we woud have been the Sunderland of this division and relegated already

Bristol City are a poor team who have spent the season struggling. In fact their away record is not much better than ours. They struggle to keep clean sheets and were well beaten by the mighty Rotherham in their last away game. But they deserved to win by double figures today. Oakes made 4-5 world class saves. Apart from this they missed about 4-5 sitters, basically one on ones which they blasted wide or over the bar. Thank god their top 2 strikers were missing

Defensively we were beyond a joke. Yes Wrighty is crap but Pead is worse which just shows how low we have become. Fox is 20 times worse than Aranhalde but i'm sure he will make a crunching tackle between now and the end of the season which should keep his fans happy. Gerrard and Ropes have gone from being our best players to total donkeys since Mr Joke Nobody (Broadhurst) took over. Go figure

In midfield we had Keates as left winger and Devlin as right winger. So in the whole match we managed to get about 4 crosses in (and one was by the Demon who at least tried). So we had no pace and no ability to beat their man on the wings till Demon came on. Leary is the worst midfielder i have seen at the club since Gary Porter. Mills gave an impersonation of Paul Smith

Up front Constable tried and you sud have heard the abuse that Mr Joke Nobody got when at 0-2 down, he was subbed for Osbourne and Leary went to right wing. Claridge won a few balls in the air in the first half but starved of service he got more shambolic as the game went on. Our striking options are now relyiing on a 40 year old, Chippenham Towns 2nd top scorer and a 33 year old reserve Championship right winger (i don't classify Barrowman or Fitzerald as footballers let alone strikers so they don't count)

From our players, the only ones who are Div 1 standard are Roper, Gerrard, Osbourne, Wrack and Mills (in defence). Those who are Div 2 standard are Oakes, Westwood, Wright, Demon, Standing, Kinsella, Madds Timm, Devlin, James, Constable and Keates. Those who are non league standard are Pead, Fox, Kris Taylor, Clardidge and Leary. Those who are pub team standard are Barrowman and Fitzerald

I said when Mr Joke Nobody was appointed manager that relegation was a formality. But there were plenty who supported the appointment and then got even more excited by a 3 game honeymoon period which included a win at Tranmere where Oakes pulled of as many decent saves as he did today. Well since then tactics wise we have got worse since the Super Clown (Merse) left. Substitutions have been shambolic. Players played out of position. No motivation, no drive no passion. Hit and hope football. After half time we seem to get even worse than the 1st half. Far far worse than anything we have seen under the Super Clown reign. 1 shot on target today. None against Blackpool, none against Oldham, none against Yeovil. Mr Joke Nobody has achieved the impossible. He is making Merson look like Mourinho

The important question facing the football club is not whether we will stay up, but whether we will manage to avoid finishing bottom. Its not who will score the goals, but will we actually score again this season. And the most important question facing the football club today is whether the circus ringmaster(Bonser) will have the courage to make the one decision this summer which will save us next season from fighting to avoid dropping into non league football. APPOINT CHRIS NICHOLL AS MANAGER THIS SUMMER

amazing red

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:futuresobright - You have the mental capacity of a small child.

Zippy - When exactly did this attacking football happen in 2006 or since Fryatt left? It's been a very long time since we've seen decent football and that includes under Merson.

and when did we get value for money and applaude the team off at the end of the game??(at home)

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season