Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (H) 8/4/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:11 am

On the basis of 20/20 hindsight, everything is easy.

The fundamental problems go back to Xmas 2003, hindsight says that we were then on the edge of Div 1 play-offs, with few problems indicated.

From then, we had all sorts of things go wrong, Samways, Wacka, Merson being the major ones, but by no means the only ones.

Merson is a major player in our demise, but by no means the only one.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:29 am

geoffwhiting wrote:The fundamental problems go back to Xmas 2003, hindsight says that we were then on the edge of Div 1 play-offs, with few problems indicated.

I largely agree with you, Geoff, but I think it goes back, slightly further. That promising position that we were in at Xmas 2003 was a false one. Colin Lee was aware that our full-backs (Bazeley & Aranalde) were poor and therefore got Baird and Vincent in on loan. He recognised that, with Merson and Samways in the team, we needed a young, fit, "box-to-box" midfield player and so he borrowed O'Neil. There was never any chance of us signing any of these three permanently but they were the key factor in the successful first half of the season. It was the failure to replace these at the foreseeable end of their respective loan periods that started us down the slippery slope.

We have seen again, this season, the downside of the loan system. We have over-used it and we are now paying the price.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 am

The problem being Players like O'neil don't grow on tree's, for a team like us, as Merson would have put it, he was different Clarse.

The wacka sending off was massive, anyone who went to stoke will know what i mean, i walked in the ground just as he flapped one into his own net, also the crewe game when he went mad and came out for a ball he was never going to get.

It can go on for ever. Having said that, with or without Lee the next season was going to be a tough one.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:The fundamental problems go back to Xmas 2003, hindsight says that we were then on the edge of Div 1 play-offs, with few problems indicated.

I largely agree with you, Geoff, but I think it goes back, slightly further. That promising position that we were in at Xmas 2003 was a false one. Colin Lee was aware that our full-backs (Bazeley & Aranalde) were poor and therefore got Baird and Vincent in on loan. He recognised that, with Merson and Samways in the team, we needed a young, fit, "box-to-box" midfield player and so he borrowed O'Neil. There was never any chance of us signing any of these three permanently but they were the key factor in the successful first half of the season. It was the failure to replace these at the foreseeable end of their respective loan periods that started us down the slippery slope.

We have seen again, this season, the downside of the loan system. We have over-used it and we are now paying the price.

The points you've made about O'Neill, Baird & Vincent, are absolutely correct Leamore, indisputable in fact. But, and excuse me if I've got the timing wrong in my head on this, was it not the replacement of these excellent loan players (especially O'Neill) - whom we hadn't a cat in hell's chance of signing permanently - that was the very reason why Lee looked to Bonser for financial support, and Bonser bottled it ?

That's why I said Xmas 2003, because that is when I understood this came to a head - but maybe it was a little earlier - after all I guess none of us are privy to the exact timing of the talks between CL & JB.

So you see I AM taking into account the three players you've referred to, even though I did not need to name them directly.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Yes, it was the Christmas period of that season.

sj
Site Addict

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:42 pm

Leamore-- I think you have it, spot on.

sore saddler

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:24 pm

I agree - Leamore you are absolutely right.

Loan players are usually on loan for a reason !!
We have picked up some "average" (I am being very generous today) loan players and got nothing in return.

After this latest shambles my mind returned to a game quite a few weeks ago against the Swans in the "who cares" cup.
We played a load of kids with a couple of experienced players (who actually care about the club) and they played their hearts out because they believed in the club and were honoured to play. Most of that side would have played for nothing !!!
But because we have all these so called "better" players we dropped most of that side for the next game and surprise, surprise completely destroyed all of their confidence.

Personally I would rather see that team back out there against Bournemouth. They might get beat but at least they wouldn't lay down and die like the "superstars" did against BC

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:

top post spot on

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 am

I see that "EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS" are now available on the official site!!!!!!!!!

Glad I paid my £33 or whatever it was for a years subscription to Saddlers World !

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:49 am

hullsaddler wrote:I see that "EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS" are now available on the official site!!!!!!!!!

Glad I paid my £33 or whatever it was for a years subscription to Saddlers World !
wonder if anyone will watch them...?...is there anyone that lonely and friendless that they need to resort to putting themselves through that...AGAIN...?...takes all sorts i spose... :D

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season