Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A)- 1/04/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:11 pm

1 down...... Williams 49th minute

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:11 pm

For the first time since KB's arrival, we're losing an away game. 1-0, Whalley. Bum.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Biggles wrote:1 down...... Williams 49th minute

Oh Dear 2 down.........

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:40 pm

Guts: 2-0 reverse

I'm going for a big shyte :( :( :(

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Sounds from the WM commentary like an appalling pathetic performance, so far we've never tested their keeper at all and only 4 minutes left. Numerous defensive howlers could have given Blackpool far more than the two they've scored.

I find this disgusting, unbelievable and unforgivable, do they not realise how important this game was to our survival chances ?

Other results are hardly going for us now either, even deeper in the cr@p tonight by the looks of it, thanks to this feeble surrender !

:twisted:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Mick Kearns hardly seems hardly able to believe the lack of competiveness from us & complete absence of creativity.
Quote from WM 'It's been a horrible game to commentate on'- presumably much worse for the 1000 saddlers fans to watch whose only consolation must be that it hasn't rained.
Have always felt reasonably confident we'd escape relegation but not now!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:56 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Mick Kearns hardly seems hardly able to believe the lack of competiveness from us & complete absence of creativity.
Quote from WM 'It's been a horrible game to commentate on'- presumably much worse for the 1000 saddlers fans to watch whose only consolation must be that it hasn't rained.
Have always felt reasonably confident we'd escape relegation but not now!

Absolutely right. This was a totally unacceptable capitulation against one of our main relegation rivals. Unbelievable in the circumstances!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Match report on line. Assuming you can bear to read.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... full-time/

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Gillingham won
Bradford won
Bristol City beat Yeovil

I haven't dared to look at the table yet :x

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:18 pm

We're chasing Bournemouth, Yeovil, Hartlepool, Blackpool and Port Vale in no particular order, assuming we can get/stay above the others in the relegation zone. I feel the others (Gills, Bantams etc) are out of our reach now.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match report on line. Assuming you can bear to read.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... full-time/

read it neil its all very disapointing im starting to feel the worst
confidence so low is worrying

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:49 pm

Awful awful awful awful awful.

The bright spots were - the ground is easy to get to, we didn't get rained on and the large band of Walsall fans kept me entertained with some gallows humour (Its just like watching Brazil etc).

On the other hand the players gave us nothing. No drive, purpose, organisation, heart, determination, resilience, fight, passion. Nothing. I don't know if KB is struggling to turn round the mentality that pervaded under Merson but at the moment he's not making a particularly good fist of it. We created precisely one chance, fluffed by Keates when the match was way out of our reach. The defence was a shambles, the midfield non-existent and the forwards gave up. Blackpool weren't great - they looked like what they are, relegation candidates - but we gave them these three points on a plate. In fact, they should and could have had more goals. If I'm kind then I would make one exception to the general malaise and say Keatesy had a decent game. At least he put in a few tackles. (That's T-A-C-K-L-E-S Westwood, you must remember what they are.)

However when we go down - and we will, I am certain of that - the reason for our decline will be simple. We got rid of our two strikers in January and didn't replace them. That is, we didn't replace them until it was too late. All the strikers (and I use the term loosely) we have brought in are other people's cast offs. When everyone is looking to hold on to their players post-transfer window their clubs couldn't see the back of the likes of Barrowman and Fitzgerald fast enough. And I'm not surprised. Since Leitao and Fryatt left, we've played 14 league games, won just one and scored nine goals. In Matty's last 14 games for us, he scored just one less than that by himself. That tells the whole story.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:05 pm

Bonser has always said that he is not a 'short term' Chairman. Presumably this means that he takes the long view. Paradoxically I think that this is actually the case with our 'firesale' policy this season. Because in the long term Bonser has got the money back that he was owed thanks to the sale of Fryatt and Bennett. That must be the way he justifies it to himself.

Of course the short term consequence of this will be our relegation this season. Just how 'short term' this actually is remains to be seen. But the long term damage to the club of Bonser's inexcusably selfish actions (and I include his romance with Merson in this) could well be terminal.

saddlesore

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:19 pm

Just got back- it was dire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My best mate is a Pool supporter & I sat in their end....I was very tight lipped without any fear of ever jumping out of my seat & blowing my cover.It was interesting to hear the Seasiders say how poor they knew they were - but how good Walsall were making them look.
Westwood was poor beyond belief.Mills looked over weight & lethargic,but at least Keates battled away.The front two were isolated getting no service at all- no imagination & no creativity or drive.I thought Claridge looked all right & may have been able to have a go at goal if he had any service at all.For me though Constable MUST be given an opportunity next match.
The only highlight of the day when we had a scuffed dribble of a shot the Saddlers fan started dancing & jumping around like we had scored.That indeed was the sorry highlight.Early bird season ticket....I think not Mr Bonser !!!

I would love to know what the Pool player said to Pablo Mills - Because one minute Mills was writhing around on the floor & when the Pool player said something he jumped straight up & I thought he was going to put him on his back !

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Just got back after the trip to Blackpool and after looking forward to it since I bought the ticket, I am now regretting doing so. First of all, the match was awful and we gifted the home team 3 points to steer themselves away from the relegation zone and ourselves. The burgers at the match were expensive and tasted cack, the coach got to the stadium at 2 O'clock so there was no time to walk around Blackpool and I travelled, along with many fellow saddlers to witness even more cack.

All in all, a bad away day for the Saddlers and another 3 points lost and it's looking as though buying my season ticket last week was yet another regret whilst watching the Saddlers.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Together with Yeovil that was true CRAP.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:22 pm

Strong wind didnt help, we couldn't get the ball out of our own half, and couldn't keep it when we had it, so we were effectively giving the ball away in our own half.

Not very happy with the reaction of the players, Mills, Barrowman, Fitzgerald among others weren't happy that there efforts weren't rewarded with appreciation.

Didn't really expect to win today, so I'm not really bothered. Can we stay up? Yes, but we have to win our next two games without any shadow of a doubt. Even then we'll have to have a good last 5 games.

We're lacking what we had last season in the form of Joachim, we have no one to score goals.

Going down wont be the end of the world - in fact it might well be good for the club, if it shakes them up and brings the people who run it to their senses. The club is run as a joke, and it's getting what it deserves. The people running the club really need to have a good hard look at themselves - Broadhurst & Co have been given a hard task with a team of misfits and loanees, I don't blame them, but we need some balance and stability to the club. For gods sake we haven't got a striker who could score in a brothel. Devlin's a winger whose movement is excellent, Barrowman is poor, Fitzgerald is as bad as Barrowman, Constable isn't getting a look in and has only played a handful of league games, Claridge is a journey man ... What kind of strike force is that to fire us out of trouble?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Sorry Phil, I for one don't buy this "relegation might be a good thing" malarky. As for those running the club having a good look at themselves, I bet they soften the blow by looking at their bank balances first. You're right about the forwards though. Perhaps Bonser shouldn't have sactioned their leaving and ordered their sale when he did, and clearly, we wouldn't be in the mess we find ourselves in now.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Just back from an excellent 4 day break in Lancashire, spoilt only by the complete and utter shambles between 3 and 4-45 today. I don't know what Kevan Broadhurst is telling the players in his pre match tactical talks, but I can only assume it goes something like the following: "When you get the ball (correction, if you get the ball) kick it high into the sky and towards their goal, then see what happens". That is indeed what happened and every time it came straight back to our half. I can honestly say that Walsall did not have ONE single good passing move and not ONE decent shot in the entire game. What was also inexcusble was the utter lack of effort of the players - every 50-50 ball was lost. As for the fans, they were there in number. If justice prevailed (which it doesn't) the players should donate ALL their pay to those poor suckers (me included) who paid to watch.

walsall_fc_matt

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:49 pm

Just got back and i cannot believe the performance or should i say lack of ! , put in by our players today .

My highlights were :

No applause and no noise made when Fitz replaced Ozzy (you could hear a pin drop)

The reaction of the Walsall fans at the final whistle when the players went to come over to us and saw that we were none to pleased and they decided to retreat off to the dressing rooms. The chants of what a load of rubbish could be heard and then i saw Westwood emerge from the pack of departing players and edge towards the Walsall fans clapping his hands, the reaction he got was not very good. He did not looked too pleased leaving the pitch .

Sitting in the same area as a group of old streetenders and listening to the old Streetend songs.

The cheering and jumping up and down when we had a shot .

After the match we made our way towards the prom to have a final shandy and i was shocked at what i saw ! . Squatting outside Mr T's amusement arcade (near the tower / on the front ), was a very large women (had too many shandys)dressed in a kinky police womans uniform and having a wee in view of everyone walking past. I thought about being a gentleman and asking her if she wanted me to wipe it for her but thought twice when i saw the size of her female mates ! .........Oh the joys of CHAV BLACKPOOL ! .

It is such a shame that i cannot think of one plus point to add about the teams performance .......

futuresobright

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:00 pm

So was getting PM out and KeVAN in such a great idea? I think we'll stay up.. but only thanks to all the points we'd gained before the panic.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:15 pm

futuresobright wrote:So was getting PM out and KeVAN in such a great idea? I think we'll stay up.. but only thanks to all the points we'd gained before the panic.

You can't defend Merson, he simply wasn't doing it. But I have to say there's a question mark hanging over Broadhurst in terms of some of his tactics. Time will tell though I suppose, but we don't have a great deal of that left to play with. Good luck to him, but it's a big ask.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 pm

futuresobright wrote:So was getting PM out and KeVAN in such a great idea? I think we'll stay up.. but only thanks to all the points we'd gained before the panic.

Don't be so bloody soft.

Merson would have garnered nada from Southend, Swansea, Tranmere and Blackpool, and I doubt he'd have taken a win from Yeovil or Bradford.

Look at results since losing Fryatt and Leitao, tells you everything you need to know. We were doomed from then onwards and have been ever since.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:07 am

Salop Saddler wrote:Sorry Phil, I for one don't buy this "relegation might be a good thing" malarky.

I know it sounds obsurd, but thats the way I feel.

How much worse can it be watching us in the next division down? It's still against piss poor opposition and at crap grounds isnt it?

My main concern is that if we survive [again] and [again by the skin of our teeth] itll be a vindication of Bonser's stewardship of the club - Just like Paul Merson getting the team to pull a win out of the hat every 8th game, just as the fans were getting on his back and realising the idiot he was. Maybe relegation will really make Bonser think. He's the one steering the ship, and at the moment, we're heading for rocks. [sorry for the analogy, speed 2 is on]...

Our main problem is the lack of outlet upfront, we've no one that looks likely to score whereas Blackpool today, even though not much better off than us in the league, had Keigan Parker, who made a mockery of Fox and Ropes.

I think if we go down, there's one over-riding reason why, and thats the sale of Fryatt and the release of Leitao - and the subsequent failure to replace them [or is that 3 reasons?]

Add to that a huge lack of confidence now after 3 poor results on the trot, and things look bleak.

Besides, it's no use moaning about Bonser, he owns the club and land seperately per se and therefore has the club by the short and curlies. If we survive again we'll simply have another season of underachievement because of Bonser's contentness to cream money. Whereas, if we go down, the shock to the club will be so great that major changes would have to take place, people would have to get their acts together, and I think that would be a good thing.

Personally I would rather see us pushing for promotion from League 2, than battling against relegation from League 1. Of course there is no garuntee we'll push for promotion if we go down, but I should hope we'd be there or there abouts.

Sometimes when you're in a daze, you need a good slap to bring you to your senses, relegation might be that slap in the face for Bonser. Any criticism of him is brushed aside and ignored, he's untouchable, but even he would have to wonder about his stewardship should we end up in the basement division 2 and a half years after being in the top half of Division 1.

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:32 am

thank god i stayed in walsall and carried on with my house moving, listened to commentary of digital radio mr dawkwins could have zipped off and seen a show in terms of how bored he sounded commentating on the game, spinless
WESTWOOD IS A JOKE PLAIN AND SIMPLE

get him out of the club really feel sorry for the fans, anyway my season ticket has gone in the bin where the players should follow :twisted:

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:13 am

The only thing that will make me feel slightly better is 90mins of pure anger in the direction of Bonser.I get the feeling he may not be around for the next home game!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:59 am

Disgracefully poor performance. Antnee Gerrard receives hero worship (for some reason), yesterday I actually thought he was taking the p!ss out of us with his performance. It's like how "high can I hoof the ball in this wind". As for the complete no marks like FuturesoshYte and another dickhead at yesterday's game who shouted "bring back Merson". yes let's bring back the idiot who has landed us in this mess. thanks Merse different clarse

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:07 am

philthesaddler wrote:How much worse can it be watching us in the next division down? It's still against piss poor opposition and at crap grounds isnt it?

Personally I would rather see us pushing for promotion from League 2, than battling against relegation from League 1. Of course there is no garuntee we'll push for promotion if we go down, but I should hope we'd be there or there abouts.

Sometimes when you're in a daze, you need a good slap to bring you to your senses, relegation might be that slap in the face for Bonser. Any criticism of him is brushed aside and ignored, he's untouchable, but even he would have to wonder about his stewardship should we end up in the basement division 2 and a half years after being in the top half of Division 1.

Sorry, I just couldn't disagree with anything more than I do with this. Many people said the same thing when we came down to League One - we'll be beating everyone in sight, it'll be great to see us sitting on top of the league, we'll be promoted by Easter, thank God we won't have to see another relegation fight next season. Well, two seasons on, two more relegation fights have taken place, the present one may well not be successful.

Why would it be different if we went down again?

We'll be playing in front of (even) smaller crowds against (even) worse teams, our (very few) decent players will leave and we'll be left with watching whoever's left, plus whatever other castoffs we can pick up, hopefully managing to avoid relegation for a few years before finally something clicking and us getting back up again. 1990 all over again. There's progress.

The very thought of watching League Two football next season makes me sick. Thanks Merson, you complete and utter joke, and thanks Bonser, if we go down we will be in the same position as the day you took over a decade and a half earlier.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:09 am

If we go down again we're more likely to emulate Stockport than Grimsby.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:22 am

For some bizzare reason I still think we'll stay up. Yesterday was absolutely shocking, but I've seen a dozen performances like that this season, so was it really such a shock? Paul Merson has turned this football club into a joke, it took Tamworth 1 game to realise what it took Jb and many of our fans 2 years to work out, that is the problem and to ask it to be sorted overnight is asking for a miracle, but we're not down yet.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season