Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A)- 1/04/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:22 pm

I had my thoughts on Lee clouded by the negative, boring crap that was served up at the end of that season. I still stand by my viewpoint that there was absolutely no need for the scared-to-death, lets go out for a nil ni tactics shown in many home games that season. I am positive that more positive approaches at Bescot would have saved that season.

However, Geordie puts the run of events in a very interesting light. If things did happen as he says (and I've absolutely no reason to doubt it). then it is even more evidence of the total failure of Bonser as chairman of this football club. Bonser is very astute when it comes to his role as owner of the football club (investing for a healthy personal return) but when it comes to running the football club with a long term view, he is nothing but useless.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Good post Geordie... that is exactly how I recall the chain of events.
For some reason, I'd almost forgotten about that line of events....

Thanks for reminding me.

Dave Roe - I agree whole-heartedly with regards to the negative tactics.
We could've (and should've) stayed up that season!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Seems as though the sensible posters on here have very similar thoughts, just came across in very different ways due to the frustration of the whole situation,

I don't disagree with anything i have read above.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:08 pm

i wonder if colin lee will ever tell the truth about bonser, so that we all can discuss what really went on behind the scenes?

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:12 pm

jeffsmate wrote:i wonder if colin lee will ever tell the truth about bonser, so that we all can discuss what really went on behind the scenes?

It was probably part of the settlement that this kind of info was never published.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:48 pm

I think it's an important tale to remember, because its had a massive bearing on the direction our club has taken, and still is taking. Your right to say its hard at the time to rationalise because football is an emotive sugject, and Colin lee was always subject to personal attacks and dislike, just as Merson was always given the benefit of the doubt for being "likeable". However personality shouldn't really come into it, unless of course it interferes with the job or managing.

You can't defend the indefensible and some of the stuff Lee did was just that, however there were very powerful mitigating circumstances which the Ritchie situation typified. When we look back now its easy to see Lee just totally fed up and frustrated with JB and the job he was trying to do basically with both hands tied behind his back. When you look at what's gone on in the second half of this season there is a very consistent thread running through the club that eminates from the football side of things playing very much second fiddle to a certain person's precious financial empire.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:01 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Just to add one minor point, although I think its important in the context of Lee's last game, ie. the Gillingham debacle in so much that it shows what a shambles JB made of things. Paul Ritchie was not allowed to play in that game, at the time our most important game of the season.

I often wonder if Ritchie had played that day would the score have been less?

Good job he played at Norwich then and helped Merson keep the goals conceded to five. How many would have gone in if Bonser had stuck to his penny-pinching principles?

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season