Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) 25/3/06 league

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 am

The Red Prince wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:
Duke Wayne wrote:I hope and pray more than ever we win on saturday
for one reason only ..............................do it for Joly

Well said mate.
Saturday is a day dedicated to Joly.

At least he didn't see the Yeovil debacle, and his last match was a good one.

Too true mate. Ollie will be looking down on us tomorrow. So we better win, for the big man.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:36 am

I have to admit I'm really not looking forward to the game tomorrow after what's happened. Just hope we can get the points we need and give Joly a good send off

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 pm

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 pm

bounce back time!

2-0 to the super saddlers 8)

Walsallwonder

The Team Against Bradford City Fc

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Gilmartin.
Westwood, Gerrard, Roper, Fox.
Wright, Leary, Keates, James.
Devlin, Barrowman.

Subs: Tilt, Fitzgerald, Pead, Timm, Constable.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: The Team Against Bradford City Fc

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Walsallwonder wrote:Gilmartin.
Devlin, Barrowman.

I can't believe people want Oakes out of the team. Some people are still struggling to get over the loss of Jimmy Walker. When you consider what level we are playing at, Oakes is a perfectly adequate goalkeeper. Yes, he makes the odd little mistake, but from what I've seen of Gilmartin, he isn't any better. Changing the goalkeeper at this point in the season would just dent our survival hopes further.

bobby-dazzler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:02 pm

I agree Rob

Oakes kept us in the game in the last 4 away games with "match winning saves" so there is no way i would drop him for 1 bad match.

Simon of Sedgley

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:04 pm

Devlin, Barrowman.

It's great to have inside info :?

I think KB is risking it with Gilmartin (not enough experience for a BIG game)
Not sure about Westwood at full back, Pead is Steady
Be nice to include Westie though he has looked far better of late (Perhaps 3 at back)
Limited choice in Midfield, perhaps Standing in from the cold :?:
Does Fitzgerald deserve a chance to impress :?: , if he doesn't play Saturday he may as well return home as Claridge will be in from next week.

Barrowman will not sparkle at home (Boo Boy - No Confidence)
Is Constable injured, if not get him on the bench :)

Walsall Wonder where do you hear such info :?:

Friend of a player, work in the club, or friend of a friend etc

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Simon of Sedgley wrote:
Devlin, Barrowman.

I thought it was a suggestion, not inside info - maybe I'm wrong though.

ULTRA316

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:21 pm

I think we'll go down 3-0 in front of a sell-out 3'500 crowd.
Because we cant defend,Cant score,No tatics,And with no hope.
League 2 here we come.
It'll be just another game where we all get out hopes up,and by five o'clock the 3 points would be out the window.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:17 pm

:lol: Home win, are you nuts?

Walsall 1 - 2 Bradford

Simon of Sedgley

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:58 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Simon of Sedgley wrote:
Devlin, Barrowman.

I thought it was a suggestion, not inside info - maybe I'm wrong though.

On another thread seemed to be Fact not opinion from Walsall Wonder, will know about 2.45pm wether he's a blagger or a Gem

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:00 am

Well I'm coming down with my two lads, so I think we'll get beat 2-0 :(

Simon of Sedgley

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:04 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Well I'm coming down with my two lads, so I think we'll get beat 2-0 :(

Hope they turn it on, for you and your kids.

Will make my weekend too, fingers crossed, come on Devlin :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:05 am

As this is going to be my first home match of the season I am expecting an exciting game of end to end, breathtaking attacking football ending with Ian Roper heading the winner in the 93rd minute for a 5-4 victory.

There again perhaps we will lose 1-0

Simon of Sedgley

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:14 am

hullsaddler wrote:As this is going to be my first home match of the season I am expecting an exciting game of end to end, breathtaking attacking football ending with Ian Roper heading the winner in the 93rd minute for a 5-4 victory.

There again perhaps we will lose 1-0

5-4 You are dreamin pal, 1-0 win form Devlin will do nicely

Hope they appreciate the likes of yourself and Manchester travelling to see them.

I think we will see a much more committed display than tuesday :oops:

EVERYBODY, LUCKY PANTS DAY :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 am

Well it was going to be my first home game- unforseen circumstances have just intervened. Very disappointed! So that 5-4 win will have to be the Bristol City game instead!

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35 am

I got the Yeovil goals right in the last match when I predicted a 3-2 victory to Walsall...

I hope I get Bradfords goals right this match to because I have predicted a 2-0 victory for Walsall :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:04 pm

I don't see any harm done with today's results to be honest. I would have taken a point before the game with so many players out for one reason and another. Obviously disappointing to lose a 2 goal lead and for Gillingham to get another surprise win, but with the players coming back in contention from next week the next four games will make or break us I reckon.

I think another 10 or 11 points will keep us up, but we need 7 or 8 of them from the next 4 matches.

amazing red

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I don't see any harm done with today's results to be honest. I would have taken a point before the game with so many players out for one reason and another. Obviously disappointing to lose a 2 goal lead and for Gillingham to get another surprise win, but with the players coming back in contention from next week the next four games will make or break us I reckon.

I think another 10 or 11 points will keep us up, but we need 7 or 8 of them from the next 4 matches.

Totally agree i would of took a point before the game,couldnt make it so cant say wether we should have won or not,waiting to hear off people about the performance.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:12 pm

One hell of a big game at Blackpool next week, defeat there and i will really start to worry.

amazing red

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:16 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:One hell of a big game at Blackpool next week, defeat there and i will really start to worry.

Think it will a tough game but fancy three points!!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:33 pm

1 point out of 6 we are surely relegation fodder now!

Football didnt take centre stage today as we was all thinking about the big man. Great to so many UTS'ers in the saddlers club signing the shirt in memory of Ollie. The chants of Joly Ollies barmy army and theres only one jolysaddler, fitting tribute to a top bloke.

Good to meet Geoff, Sid and Dave today. Oops Dave I forgot to buy you that pint, maybe next time.

amazing red

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:36 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:1 point out of 6 we are surely relegation fodder now!

Football didnt take centre stage today as we was all thinking about the big man. Great to so many UTS'ers in the saddlers club signing the shirt in memory of Ollie. The chants of Joly Ollies barmy army and theres only one jolysaddler, fitting tribute to a top bloke.

Good to meet Geoff, Sid and Dave today. Oops Dave I forgot to buy you that pint, maybe next time.

Hope people sing olivers name at every game,true saddler!!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:43 pm

We are in a relegation scrap, but I don't see how things are any different because of today, the two crucial games were always likely to be Blackpool away and the game in hand against Bournemouth. I think we need to win both to start pulling clear.

Mills, Claridge, Ozzy, and hopefuly Oakes coming back will make a huge difference and I still fancy our chances. Just a little concerned at conceeding 2 goals in each of the last two games though.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:07 pm

I have to be honest, there was a lump in my throat when we burst into 'There's only one Joly saddler' Most of the singing was towards the other end of the F2G Upper but myself and Dave Roe led the singing our end.

Good to meet a few more UTS members today, the shirt for Joly was a nice touch, I put my name to it. It was also equally moving to see the shirt being held high as we went 2-0 up.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:11 pm

Much better today(could it be any worse)

I found it very difficult to remain focused on the game my mind kept
drifting to the family of Joly and what they must be going through
i'm not ashamed to admit to tears in my eyes when we sang his name
all in all this week we have lost 5pts but this forum, Walsall Football Club
and most of all the Oliver Hewitt family have lost a dam sight more
kinda puts things into prospective how of little importance football really is

GOD BLESS YOU OLIVER

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:29 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:all in all this week we have lost 5pts but this forum, Walsall Football Club
and most of all the Oliver Hewitt family have lost a dam sight more
kinda puts things into prospective how of little importance football really is

Well said.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:56 pm

Miles better today. (Well, it couldn't have got any worse.) Entertaining game. Shame we didn't win - but at least we didn't lose.

He's only a young lad and all, but what a sorry state of affairs when our second choice goalkeeper is as amateur-hour as Gilmartin (and Bradford's was just as amateur-hour!) A complete embarrassment. I'm sure he'll be a decent keeper one day, but he is a million miles from it yet. He should be in the youth team learning his trade and we should have a decent standard backup for the reserves, like we did for all those years until not that long ago. It's not Rene's fault, but I do hope Oakes is back. I'm far from his biggest fan but we'd certainly have won the game if he'd played today.

Timm and Devlin had a great understanding up front. I was hugely sceptical about Timm playing but he was clear man of the match. Keates make a big difference behind them - Leary looks out of his depth one minute (or 90 minutes, on Tuesday) and excellent the next, and did a lot of good things and a lot of bad things today. Look forward to Osborn and Mills returning. At the back, Fox struggled (again), particularly when they brought Muirhead on, and Roper made a few more howlers, but I think the whole defence was edgy because of having Gilmartin behind them. Westwood was excellent, pick of the bunch by far. He should be our first choice right-back.

Mark Wright had a poor game but it was horrible to hear the boos. Last Tuesday the whole performance was so dire that the fans' frustration was understandable (to me) but to boo Wright the way he was today was out of order. Hardly going to give him confidence to improve his game, is it?

Overall, a reasonably positive result given Bradford's away record, and next week - hopefully with Oakes, Mills, Osborn, Smith and Claridge back - a great chance for three points on Morecambe Bay.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:18 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:

We are in a relegation scrap, but I don't see how things are any different because of today, the two crucial games were always likely to be Blackpool away and the game in hand against Bournemouth. I think we need to win both to start pulling clear.

Mills, Claridge, Ozzy, and hopefuly Oakes coming back will make a huge difference and I still fancy our chances. Just a little concerned at conceeding 2 goals in each of the last two games though.

Things have changed Geordie we are now 22nd we've pick up just one point from 2 home games and threw away a 2 goal lead
I do agree however that to have Mills, Osborn and Oakes back in the side can only help our plight Claridge will do a job for us Blackpool and Bournemouth are now must win games if we are to avoid the drop

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season