Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) 25/3/06 league

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 pm

The match was a big disapointment in the end. I thought we should have won easy! But their goal before half time but them in a good frame of mind and were always going to come out trying to beat us

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 pm

Not good enough. Two nil up, at home, forty five mins on the clock, against a team going through the motions, and then have to settle for a point? It may have been an 'improvement' on Tuesdays farce but the trap doors well and truely open now, and allowing for our current home form...well, I'd rather not think about it. Congratulations by the way to that team we left behind us at Cardiff a few years ago, on their promotion to the Prem, and some think signing a forty year old striker is progress.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:07 am

Didn't go to the game but Salop has put his finger on my mood today. Great stuff for Reading. OK, they have got a rich backer, but nevertheless it is still a magnificent achievement. All Walsall supporters really wanted at the time of Cardif was to see the Saddlers as an established Championship side. As it is, although I hope not, I think we will be in Div 2 next year. The questions I keep asking myself are why oh why, if Bonsor found Lee impossible, didn't he wait until the end of the season to sack him. Then, when he did, if Merson was on an expensive contract why didn't he give Osbourne the job and keep Merson on as a player. (Wasn't it supposed to be a joint job at first). Or even insist Mick Halsall did it. To appoint someone who spent weeks on end in an Arizona clinic to a managerial position (where leadership, authority, discipline and experience are needed), and with no managerial experience or coaching badge just defies belief. Also, this season, I presume the powers that be (Bonsor) knew Jorge wanted out, so why let Fryatt go so soon and leave us with no goal scorer. I must say a lot of our troubles just seem self inflicted. Sorry I havn't got Geordie's optimisim, but there we are

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:04 am

Match report now with us - agreeing very much with Bristol!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ty-report/

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:1 point out of 6 we are surely relegation fodder now!

Football didnt take centre stage today as we was all thinking about the big man. Great to so many UTS'ers in the saddlers club signing the shirt in memory of Ollie. The chants of Joly Ollies barmy army and theres only one jolysaddler, fitting tribute to a top bloke.

Good to meet Geoff, Sid and Dave today. Oops Dave I forgot to buy you that pint, maybe next time.

We are in a relegation scrap, but I don't see how things are any different because of today, the two crucial games were always likely to be Blackpool away and the game in hand against Bournemouth. I think we need to win both to start pulling clear.

Mills, Claridge, Ozzy, and hopefuly Oakes coming back will make a huge difference and I still fancy our chances. Just a little concerned at conceeding 2 goals in each of the last two games though.

Things have changed Geordie we are now 22nd we've pick up just one point from 2 home games and threw away a 2 goal lead
I do agree however that to have Mills, Osborn and Oakes back in the side can only help our plight Claridge will do a job for us Blackpool and Bournemouth are now must win games if we are to avoid the drop

THat's what I mean. The Blackpool and Bournemouth games were always going to be pivotal. We are in the relegation zone on goal difference, and have our fate in our own hands, still.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:35 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Didn't go to the game but Salop has put his finger on my mood today. Great stuff for Reading. OK, they have got a rich backer, but nevertheless it is still a magnificent achievement. All Walsall supporters really wanted at the time of Cardif was to see the Saddlers as an established Championship side. As it is, although I hope not, I think we will be in Div 2 next year. The questions I keep asking myself are why oh why, if Bonsor found Lee impossible, didn't he wait until the end of the season to sack him. Then, when he did, if Merson was on an expensive contract why didn't he give Osbourne the job and keep Merson on as a player. (Wasn't it supposed to be a joint job at first). Or even insist Mick Halsall did it. To appoint someone who spent weeks on end in an Arizona clinic to a managerial position (where leadership, authority, discipline and experience are needed), and with no managerial experience or coaching badge just defies belief. Also, this season, I presume the powers that be (Bonsor) knew Jorge wanted out, so why let Fryatt go so soon and leave us with no goal scorer. I must say a lot of our troubles just seem self inflicted. Sorry I havn't got Geordie's optimisim, but there we are

I don't think we've got any choice other than to be optimistic. This relegation battle will likely be won or lost by the size of margin that we currently have, and we must play our part in helping the team over the next 8 games. Navel gazing analysis of the JB/Merson situation can take place in the summer. Fans of Rotherham who pipped us AND Reading to promotion that year are in the same boat, see also Gillingham. Swindon have recent history in the top flight and Blackpool used to be one of the greatest clubs in the land. Lets just get to Blackpool and sing our hearts out and get out of this mess. Finishing 5th bottom with what Merson left behind will be a huge and notable achievement for KB. He's winkled 6 points from his first 5 games which has kept us in it - make no mistake if Merson was in charge we would be down by now, now let's finish the job by taking another 10 or 11 points from the last 8 games. It is achievable and we have to believe it is and play our part in making the players believe it is.

There have been plenty of times like this for us as Walsall supporters, remember Bramall Lane? then the year after relying on Newport beating Swindon? We need to draw upon that tradition and show we've got the balls to face up to this and come through it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Tha game passed me by yesterday with all the other stuff going on.

I'm glad there were improvements to Tuesday though. We were looking good until they scored their first goal and it broke the team's already low confidence.

I'm glad that on the whole the fans got behind the team and there were lots of songs for Joly which was all that mattered to me yesterday.

We'll be a different proposition when Claridge, Mills and Osborn are back in, but we have to beat the teams around us such as Blackpool and Bournemouth.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:46 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Tha game passed me by yesterday with all the other stuff going on.

I'm glad there were improvements to Tuesday though. We were looking good until they scored their first goal and it broke the team's already low confidence.

I'm glad that on the whole the fans got behind the team and there were lots of songs for Joly which was all that mattered to me yesterday.

We'll be a different proposition when Claridge, Mills and Osborn are back in, but we have to beat the teams around us such as Blackpool and Bournemouth.

if theres ever a must win and not lose game then that is the blackpool game. a draw then it will be! :D

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Tha game passed me by yesterday with all the other stuff going on.

Spot on Mark.

ucow

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm

well said mark sums it up brilliantly for me!

the result was imaterial as this was for joly! nice to meet a few new saddelrs even though it was in such sad curcumstances nice to hear the chants for joly.

although i hope i never have to go through yesterday again.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:09 pm

Massively better performance than Tuesday and a game we should have won by some distance. Our second goal was a gift from their defence, letting Westwood in for a free header. Shame we had to chip-in with an almost identical gift to Bradford just before half-time, defence totally awol.

Then second-half, why Gilmartin chose to punch that ball I shall never know - how tall is he, 6 feet five inches? An easy catch from a hopeful ball into the box, there for the taking, no danger, yet he presented them with an equaliser and the lead we had deserved and built was gone.

The waste that went on on the right wing through Mark Wright was scandalous, but what was the point of booing the lad? If anyone thinks that will improve his performance, think again! He just became visibly worse and I can't understand why he wasn't taken off for his own good.

Devlin and Timm excellent, Leary a decent performer and Keates made a big difference to our midfield, Roper and Gerrard pretty solid and Westwood looked quality again, defensively better than Pead but lacking Pead's attacking inclinations down that right side.

I'm sure though that Ozzie and Pablo should/will return at Blackpool, and Claridge will add that crucial experience and ability to hold the ball up and bring players into the game up front.

Overall very disappointing to drop two points from a winning 2-0 position, especially as we had gained 5 previously-unexpected points away from home, and have now thrown exactly the same number of points away in these two home games.

Still feel optimistic that we can win the games we need to stay up now that we have got Claridge in, and Pablo/Ozzie are coming back. Let's just keep fingers crossed they can all stay fit now for these crucial run-in matches.

Having said all of this, there was far more important stuff going on than football yesterday. It was nice to meet a few more "faces", especially to meet Kev face-to-face and thank him personally for setting-up the Jolysaddler condolences site so quickly, I just wish that meeting them had been in happier circumstances.

Well done to Sean (?) for holding himself together for those words and tribute, and to toast Joly in the Saddlers Club - great to hear the applause all around the room for the big guy. Well done also to whoever thought of the shirt-signing idea for Joly - I was very moved and very proud to be signing it alongside so many of you other guys.

Excellent recognition and respect for Jolysaddler in the singing during the match, and I have to say I found the whole experience yesterday very moving and quite tear-jerking.

Shame we couldn't get the win for Joly, but now we have to get fully behind the lads to inspire them to the points we need to stay up - FOR JOLY ! Let's make sure we keep singing his name to the end of the season
and to League One safety.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:17 pm

Excellent post Geoff, couldn't agree more.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:00 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Shame we couldn't get the win for Joly, but now we have to get fully behind the lads to inspire them to the points we need to stay up - FOR JOLY ! Let's make sure we keep singing his name to the end of the season and to League One safety.

Great post Geoff.

This is something I really want to make sure happens. Obviously a lot of people have posted on this board and through Oli's massive network of friends many know about what has happened. But I'm sure there would have been many yesterday who didn't understand the chants for Joly. I want everyone to know what it's about so if you have any friends who go to games who don't come on here then please tell them so they can join in.

Blackpool was a great atmosphere last year and new chants always take off at away games so lets make sure "Joly Oli's Barmy Army" does too.

I guarantee all the players will have known about Joly by next week and they'll know why we'll be singing his name and I want them to respond and put everything in for him.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:55 pm

You're a man on a mission then MMF, good on yer and hopefully everyone will be right behind you, singing for Joly, the lads and safety !

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 am

Who were the lads in the upper Floors to go on saturday singing 'Jolly Olys barmy army' ?. That was a very fitting chant. Think that will get kept for a long time.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:56 am

derbysaddler wrote:Who were the lads in the upper Floors to go on saturday singing 'Jolly Olys barmy army' ?. That was a very fitting chant. Think that will get kept for a long time.

Phil, Rich and Daz his best mates then me and the others around us who knew him. There were lots of his other mates singing it in the bottom tier also.

I expect it to be sung very loudly at Blackpool.

ucow

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 am

it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when hearing it and chanting along to it.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:03 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Who were the lads in the upper Floors to go on saturday singing 'Jolly Olys barmy army' ?. That was a very fitting chant. Think that will get kept for a long time.

Phil, Rich and Daz his best mates then me and the others around us who knew him. There were lots of his other mates singing it in the bottom tier also.

Aye, I hope it will. I joined in when I heard it coming out. Least I may recognise some faces now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:11 am

derbysaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Aye, I hope it will. I joined in when I heard it coming out. Least I may recognise some faces now.

Yes mate, if you recognise me come and introduce yourself. Always good to meet new faces off the board.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:20 am

Sound MMF. Will do.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:21 pm

As Dave Gittins said, we were both way over in block 2 but we were more than happy to stand and join in te chants for Joly. The whole afternoon (from Saddlers Club to after the final whistle) was carried out with much dignity and respect. Some of you lads need medals for keeping yourselves so together.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Dave Roe wrote:As Dave Gittins said, we were both way over in block 2 but we were more than happy to stand and join in te chants for Joly. The whole afternoon (from Saddlers Club to after the final whistle) was carried out with much dignity and respect. Some of you lads need medals for keeping yourselves so together.

Spot on, Dave.

I was joining in from the tea 'n' biscuits stand. Was a special moment as the song grew in volume and we realised what was being sung.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season