Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil (H) 21/3/06 League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
toffo
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:27 pm

First goal was a good goal according to sky sports reporter but the second was described as a complete howler by Ian Roper who allowed the ball to bounce over him and was then slow to react.
Lots of work to do to claw back anything from this one.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from, to be honest. With our lack of firepower it is hard to see how we can effectively chase the game. This is now a BIG test for KB. Demontagnac to be substituted, anyone?

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:42 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from, to be honest. With our lack of firepower it is hard to see how we can effectively chase the game. This is now a BIG test for KB. Demontagnac to be substituted, anyone?

Probably... Demontagnac out, Timm in, Smith out to Left wing, Mads Tim in the offensive midfielders role.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:44 pm

There's time yet, this is the first time in 4 starts we have been behind in a game under KB, let's just show a modecom of faith. Timm on for Wright so see what happens/
Last edited by Geordiesaddler on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsall Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:45 pm

my mate has gone tonight for her first match this season, this is probably why they aren't doing so well........ also she has got a season ticket for next season now Merse has left........hope this is not the kiss of death!

the_game

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:46 pm

just as i thought things were changing with 5 points from 3 games with teams in top half, then we start losing to yeovil who were a position behind us..... TERRIBLE :cry:

COME ON YOU SADDLERS :P

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 pm

the_game wrote:just as i thought things were changing with 5 points from 3 games with teams in top half, then we start losing to yeovil who were a position behind us..... TERRIBLE :cry:

COME ON YOU SADDLERS :P

To be fair, Yeovil are not a bad side on their day. As Geordie says, lets see what happens.

the_game

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 pm

maybe there not a great team, but honestly come on compard to the SUPER SADDLERS :lol:

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Mick Kearnes is sounding very pessimistic at the moment

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:10 pm

The flu kept me away to-night
according to sky sports we are hardly creating any chances very dissapointed however i did say on ealier thread relegation battles have many twists and turns and iam sure more will follow Gillingham are winning Blackpool drawing good be a bad night for us
and to make matters worse i have to listen to our ex managers who is covering the Gillingham game for sky...........yer no

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 pm

Doh

3-1 Gillingham 2 for Byfield :x

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Good to see everyone not moaning and getting behind the lads, chanting "what a load of rubbish", something we never heard under Merson, took one defeat under KB.

Fantastic!

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 pm

Its all about expectation Geordie - an unfortunate condition Walsall fans have been suffering from since we came down from the "Championship".

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:28 pm

Play fair Geordie, I didn't like Merson, but if I'd been there tonight then I'd also be chanthing 'what a load of rubbish'.

2-0 down at home to a team that were below us before the night kicked off is bad enough, but comprehensively and deservedly beaten is another thing, a 2-0 scoreline which flatters us is another thing.

This was the game in hand, now the only team we can overtake with a game in hand is Gillingham. Everyone else is out of reach.

Our saving grace was 7 out of 10 home matches, if we're struggling to create and score at home (which we are), then thats not our saving grace.

Big questions must be asked though as to why we changed our formation in a home match to Yeovil to combat them. I really see no sense in that, espeically after recent success.

And as I talk, Ishmel is being sent off for a 2nd yellow card.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:30 pm

agreed Surrey & Geordie

the last we want now is fans booing KB's first home game as well

Sky have just repoted home deffence is a shambles which after recent results rather suprises still it could be worse we could be blues fans

UP THE SADDLERS

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:33 pm

Blackpool one down......................slight improvement to night

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:33 pm

Stu wrote:Play fair Geordie, I didn't like Merson, but if I'd been there tonight then I'd also be chanthing 'what a load of rubbish'.

2-0 down at home to a team that were below us before the night kicked off is bad enough, but comprehensively and deservedly beaten is another thing, a 2-0 scoreline which flatters us is another thing.

This was the game in hand, now the only team we can overtake with a game in hand is Gillingham. Everyone else is out of reach.

Our saving grace was 7 out of 10 home matches, if we're struggling to create and score at home (which we are), then thats not our saving grace.

Big questions must be asked though as to why we changed our formation in a home match to Yeovil to combat them. I really see no sense in that, espeically after recent success.

Ish being sent off. I'm surprised it took him that long. Only consolation is it was too late to effect the result.

toffo
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:34 pm

Souds like piss poor defending which is strange as we have been excellent for the last 3 games, Skysports are saying we could be 4 or 5 down not just 2.
I'll put it down to just one of them games.
Did'nt expect to get anything from Tranmere so its a slight consolation about tonights result.
A big set back though losing at home to one of our rivals

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:37 pm

Stu wrote:Play fair Geordie, I didn't like Merson, but if I'd been there tonight then I'd also be chanthing 'what a load of rubbish'.

Some appreciation that we at least have a chance of staying up wouldn't go amis though Stu. Also disagree about teams we can catch, Blackpool and Yeovil are still in range, and if we beat Bounemouth we are level with them, so still very much in our own hands. This reminds me of the anti-climax versus Sheff Wed under Lee. It's not the end of the world by any means.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:38 pm

one of the games hope your right Toffo

at least we have to chance to hit back on saturday thats a must win game
lets not panic yet as Geordie said its still in our own hands

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Some appreciation that we at least have a chance of staying up wouldn't go amis though Stu. Also disagree about teams we can catch, Blackpool and Yeovil are still in range, and if we beat Bounemouth we are level with them, so still very much in our own hands.

True, but you'd have said that about tonight. A team that we could catch, a team in our range and a team if we beat we pull clear of.

This was my concern, in that with our lack of creativity, as KB has said, we're actually more suited to playing away from home. We we can keep it really tight and sit on the counter, we can't do that at home and unfortunately, we haven't the players up front to help us create.

Saturday will be a big test, a defeat then, and suddenly those winnable home matches don't appear anywhere near as winnable.

It'd be folly to ignore the mental impact that tonight could have.

toffo
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:47 pm

We will see what KB is made of this week and see if he can lift the players and pick a team capable of winning this saturday.

No doubt this result will knock the confidence of certain players, KB needs to get it out of their system on the training pitch and not make too big a deal of it.

Not sure what he can do about Ishy though, always liable to pick up a silly early yellow card which leaves him unable to play his natural game.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:48 pm

It's just another case of if we give away two daft goals we havn't got what it takes to chase down a 2 goal deficit, it's game over. Are the Bescot fans patient enough to see us slug out a 0-0 and then try and nick it in the last 20 minutes? Away from home the fans are, but at Bescot I seriously doubt it, and I think that is our best approach to accumulating points.

bournemouthsaddler

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:48 pm

Thats the easy one out of the way. Cant see us scoring at home this season. We dont just need a minor miracle now. we are going down.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:50 pm

Stu from what i can gather from sky we created nothing to night
and our defence was a shambles i was a bit suprised that Timm did'nt start especially at home he can create chances I think what KB is trying to do is keep things tight at the back and midfield and hit on the break thats fine away form home but a different kettle of fish at home
Last edited by Duke on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toffo
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 pm

Bloody ell bournemouth give us a chance!!!!!! theres loads of points to play for yet, too early to start talking about certain relegation.

Put much more pressure on ourselves after tonights result though.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 pm

I hope Keates is back on Saturday, because with Mills, Ozzy, Ishy, and possibly Smith out things could be thin in midfield and on the left.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:57 pm

toffo wrote:Bloody ell bournemouth give us a chance!!!!!! theres loads of points to play for yet, too early to start talking about certain relegation.

Put much more pressure on ourselves after tonights result though.

Agreed again Toffo
but we need to get our home form right
just saw the goals on sky shocking deffending Ishy lost it "again"
had a swing at the ref Westy pull him away........oh dear

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:It's just another case of if we give away two daft goals we havn't got what it takes to chase down a 2 goal deficit, it's game over. Are the Bescot fans patient enough to see us slug out a 0-0 and then try and nick it in the last 20 minutes? Away from home the fans are, but at Bescot I seriously doubt it, and I think that is our best approach to accumulating points.

Agree entirely, and there in lies the problem. If we can't do that at home, then those 6 remaining home matches aren't actually much of an advantage.

DaveDean, apparently Timm did absolutely nothing when he came on and was marked out of the game superbly by Paul Terry according to Kearns.

Personally, I think I'd allow Fitzgerald and Timms (possibly even Leary) to all go back to their clubs if we can replace them with another two players.

bournemouthsaddler

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Understrengh, underfire Yeovil, conceeded 33 goals away, and we did not have a single shot. Our defence was non existant and the Demon, what can I say. Who will score the next goal? Who will play in midfield. EVEN BOURNEMOUTH BEAT YEOVIL and they hadn't won this year!!!!!!!! not doubt we are in very serious trouble.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season