Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea (A)- 12/03/06- League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:25 am

Great point which we'd all have took before the game but it was sickening to not win after holding on for so long.

The workrate was excellent, the shape and organisation is coming together and is far better. We had pace and ability to run at people in James and Devlin and we were closing Swansea down and making it diffucult. Considering Smith said he doesn't like playing there and the Brizzle fans said he was awful there I thought he had another good game at left back.

Gerrard and especially Mills was excellent. I thought Pead had a poor game but he was up against a very good winger.

Midfield had a balance about it and I thought James was excellent and was unlucky not to get a headed goal when Gueret somehow saved it at the foot of the post. It's a pity Keates didn't play but Osborn had his best game for ages. Wright was in an out as usual but got involved in some decent moves.

Devlin did what he cam he to do and took his goal very well. I thought although Barrowman worked harder than he has done, his touch is awful and he is caught offside far too many times to warrant a starting place. Fitzgerald looked lively when he came and his touch is far better. Personally I'd choose Constable over both but I'd prefer Fitz over Barrowman. He's just not ready yet.

The equaliser was always likely to come though as we didn't take advantage of our chances, but at least we were creating plenty!

We held on until the change that tipped the balance. If Osborn was tiring which wasn't evident and I don't think Osborn felt the same judging by his reaction when he got taken off then why move Mills. He was excellent all game. They had just bought the huge prescence of Akinfenwa on and we put Westwood at centre half to cope with him!

Ultimately it made the difference and cost us a couple of points. I know we go an about not playing players out of position but I wouldn't have changed the back 4 that was working well. Westwood could have gone in midfield for 10 minutes if needed. Perhaps KB though we were losing it in midfield?

This is not so much of a criticism, I just couldn't understand why you'd change the back four when they were keeping Swansea out under so much pressure.

Over all we are looking a far better team under KB. Another welcome point or more would be great at Tranmere but its about winning some of these home games that's important, and we've got plenty of them left.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:33 am

Stu wrote:No doubt, and I'm sure all those who used to moan and whing about Fryatt are now realising what a talent he really was... Just emphasises even more how lucky Merson was to have him.

And how luck WE were to have him. We'd be practically relegated by now otherwise.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:47 pm

philthesaddler wrote:So why was he employed as such for nearly two seasons?

beats me phil only one man can answer that JB

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:53 pm

I texted WM while we were one nil up to say "I wonder if Franksy still thinks the fans that wanted Merson out are "idiotic" ?" I then followed it up with another text saying "I bet you don't read that one out".

Guess what ? Spot on again !

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Dave Roe wrote:I texted WM while we were one nil up to say "I wonder if Franksy still thinks the fans that wanted Merson out are "idiotic" ?" I then followed it up with another text saying "I bet you don't read that one out".

Guess what ? Spot on again !

While listening to the commentary of Blues v Albion on Saturday. Franksy said "don't forget coming up we've got live commentary of the Wolves v Cardiff game and our commentator? will have Wayne Clark, the ex Blues and Wolves man alongside him."

I texted in to say "Forgetting little Walsall again Franksy? Don't forget Wayne Clark played for Walsall too". He read it out but missed the first line. At least my text gave him a useful link to telling us about the commentary for Swansea. :roll:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Our strongest performance in the league this year...shame it has taken 3 months of 2006 to look anything like a team likely to win a game. To lose it so late was heartbreaking - but it was a performance to be proud of across the board.

Devlin had a cracking game and really showed his class. He led the line, he was always on the shoulders of the defence, and could easily have had another goal. If we can't get another striker in, then I feel that it will be Devlin who is our biggest threat in front of goal. He's the only one with the nouse for the battle that is ahead.

Oakes had, for me, his best game of the season. Save for a spill after a couple of minutes, he was behind everything, read the play well, and was totally unlucky for the equaliser. If it hadn't have taken a deflection it would have gone straight down his throat.

Mills was immense, as was Gerrard. Pead dealt with the threat of at least 3 or 4 different players through out the game fairly well, but he was the only player who struggled to cope with Trundle, who is the most over-rated player in our league. He's a bag of tricks, and he deserves shooting for missing some of the chances he missed yesterday. Premiership? Having an absolute laugh...

Osborn played well, but Leary was anonymous. Not neccessarily a criticism of Leary because that is his game - very quiet, does his job well. But for my liking we were over-run in midfield for 90 minutes, and I'm not one to subscribe to Osborn having one of his best games of the season yesterday. He did well going forward, but Robinson gave him an absolute nightmare. Again, though, forgivable because Robinson is a player more than capable of playing at a higher level.

I did notice Osborn have his paddy after being subbed. First the captain's armband went flying towards Westwood, and then his shin pads were kicked around the dugout. Credit to Broadhurst for handling it so discreetly, but I thought the substitution was justified. Osborn was clearly knackered after a hard-working performance, and he'd just been booked for a crude challenge. I'd rather have fresh legs with no yellow card than heavy legs with a yellow card.

If Swansea played through Robinson more often, instead of looking constantly for Lee Trundle, then they could have scored 3 or 4 yesterday. Unfortunately, for a side who on paper should be so dominating, they are becoming a one-man team.

I thought some of the lads who have come in for stick did well yesterday. Wright was very busy, didn't shirk a challenge, and got some decent crosses in. He was unlucky not to score for 40 yards after a fluffed clearance from Gueret went to Wright, but his shot was cleared off the line.
Barrowman worked very hard, but like MMF said, he is caught offside too often. However, I thought that there were definate glimpses of his pedigree yesterday, and he knocked down a couple of great headers for Devlin.

Overall, impressive in my first game under Broadhurst. Organisation with everyone knowing his respective job. If only we'd have appointed a decent manager earlier this season.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Great report Jorge. Thanks very much.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:42 pm

Jorge - I don't think it's fair at all to judge Trundle on that performance after 6 weeks our injured. He clearly isn't match fit yet.

I think it's fair to say he does supply the end product as proven by his excellent goal scoring record as well as his tricks and flicks.

Premiership, probably not but a good Championship player? Definately.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Jorge - I don't think it's fair at all to judge Trundle on that performance after 6 weeks our injured. He clearly isn't match fit yet.

I think it's fair to say he does supply the end product as proven by his excellent goal scoring record as well as his tricks and flicks.

Premiership, probably not but a good Championship player? Definately.

Agree that he could be a good Championship player, I've always thought that since he destroyed us for Wrexham in 2001, but I just can't help but feel it is more his personality than his all-round ability which has led to the Premiership hype.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:00 pm

I think that's helped his cause but his skills and goalscoring record won't have done him any harm either. 8)

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season