Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham (H) 18th February- League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Hamstead Red

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:49 pm

I'l try that again , Geordie your obsessed with that pub more than Merson is , and its not the feckin swan !

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm not sure it made any more sense the second time.

amazing red

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:59 pm

SWAN????that reminds mmmmmmmmm BEER!!!!!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm

TBH I thought the only player who looked like he cared or who might provide a breakthrough was Kevin James. He didn't stop running all game and gave 100%. That's all anyone can ask. As for the rest of them, it was as if the period between 3pm and 4.45pm had got in the way of an otherwise relaxing weekend. I don't know what Halsall's game plan was but it didn't work. The first half was dreary, the second far worse and the only consolation I can take is that we are still within one win of about eight other sides in the division. But where are the points going to come from?

It was for me - by some distance - the worst performance of the season. Confused, lacklustre, heartless and dispassionate. To use Hansen speak, Barrowman has never been a footballer. What's happened to Constable? At least he knew where the back of the net was. Any chance of the club offering some explanation of what this mysterious niggling injury is or when we could expect him back? The midfield was non-existant, Wrighty a fish up a tree at left back and Roper and Gerrard spent most of the game shouting at each other after getting in each other's way. As for Oakes...

Oldham were a nothing side. Beckett and Warne put themselves about but otherwise they offered nothing. Nothing special, nothing creative, nothing different to most teams in this league. But they got three points and are 7th. We're staring at relegation because we can't beat teams like these. Oh for some organisation! Or, failing that, maybe we can just go to a 4-4-2 with, say, two strikers up front, wingers out on the wings and a defence that's capable of keeping a clean sheet? Too much to ask?

Maybe I should apply for the job. I'd say in my interview "I want this job because I'd play: Oakes; Pead, Gerrard, Roper, Fox (or Smith if he's injured); Wright, Leary, Keates, Demontagnac; Constable, Nicholls. I'd tell the defence to defend, the midfielders to pass the ball, the wingers to cross it and the strikers to score." There's your tactics right there.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:11 pm

I THINK MILLS LOOKS PROMISING ACTUALLY...GO ON THEN...SHOOT ME DOWN... :)

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 pm

sid swifty wrote:I THINK MILLS LOOKS PROMISING ACTUALLY...GO ON THEN...SHOOT ME DOWN... :)

100% agree

Hednesfordred

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Could someone explain why Nicholls wasnt in the 16.????? He is the one player in the last 4 or 5 games who actually looks like he knows what he is supposed to be doing up front.
Barrowman a centre forward?? - dont make me laugh.
Leary today - awful
Smith today - awful
Wright & Pead - if their full backs then i ought to get my boots out
Oakes - well i cant think of anything to say!!!!

I feel about as low as possible. I never thought for a minute that we would get relegated this season, but i DO NOW. Thanx Paul & Jeff for making our side a fudge laughing stock.

Up the Saddlers

Walsallwonder

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:42 pm

Yes Halsall knows who the leak is. I know who the leak in the youth team is ........... When did Mick say that? Who finds out from the youth teamer?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 pm

They played highlights of the Walsall v Oldham 3-1 promotion party in the Stadium Suite before the game today. Christ we've fallen a long way from those dizzy heights haven't we? Today was just depressing. When the best chance you create is a volley from your centre half you know that something's wrong. Oakes' kicking was terrible and he may well have been at fault for the opener. Mark Wright is, as we all know, not a left back. Leary and Smith looked like they couldn't wait to get back to Luton and Swindon. James and Barrowman offered nothing up front and I'll tell you now, Craig Pead is the worst right back we have had in two decades.

Make no mistake, Bonser must shoulder a massive amount of responsibility for this. His appointment of Merson was not only a mistake it was also by far and away the easiest decision he could have made. Their entire relationship seems to have been based on Bonser being in awe of this bloke who used to play for Arsenal and England. He's the classic lower league owner - the star struck provincial boy-done-good whose reward is a few pints with Paul Merson (THE Paul Merson) after the game in the big room named after himself.

But the fire sale of our top scorer for peanuts SIMPLY SO THAT JEFF COULD GET HIS MONEY BACK will go down as the turning point in this sorry shambles of a season. An absolutely crucial decision made entirely in the interests of J Bonser and not Walsall FC. The price, the timing, the secrecy surrounding the deal - everything about Fryatt's move to Leicester stinks to high heaven.

The stock answer for Bonser's apologists is to ask what the viable alternatives to him are. But the fact that we have no saviour waiting in the wings should not preclude us from protesting about the current incumbent. This is a man who was able to sell his business because of the financial stability that OUR club affords him thanks to the rent cheque that his pension fund pockets every season. Surely this should bring some sort of accountability. Instead we have a man who actively shuns any dialogue with the club's supporters and threatens to walk away every time the fans get justifiably angry with his running of the club. This is a man who attempts to take the moral high ground when seeking a new manager, thereby instantly ruling out many of the best candidates for the job.

I used to think that Bonser had the best interests of the club at heart, but recently you really have to wonder whether his siege mentality is starting to get the better of him. He's been at the helm during an unprecendented period of success for Walsall but it looks like all the goodwill he earned during this period is nearly spent.

It's time you started earning the enormous amount of money that you take out of our club every season Mr Bonser. And it's time you stopped taking our club and its fans for granted.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Match report on line. Didn't pick a MoM, as here simply wasn't one.

Tez66

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:55 pm

bangsection wrote:They played highlights of the Walsall v Oldham 3-1 promotion party in the Stadium Suite before the game today. Christ we've fallen a long way from those dizzy heights haven't we? Today was just depressing. When the best chance you create is a volley from your centre half you know that something's wrong. Oakes' kicking was terrible and he may well have been at fault for the opener. Mark Wright is, as we all know, not a left back. Leary and Smith looked like they couldn't wait to get back to Luton and Swindon. James and Barrowman offered nothing up front and I'll tell you now, Craig Pead is the worst right back we have had in two decades.

Make no mistake, Bonser must shoulder a massive amount of responsibility for this. His appointment of Merson was not only a mistake it was also by far and away the easiest decision he could have made. Their entire relationship seems to have been based on Bonser being in awe of this bloke who used to play for Arsenal and England. He's the classic lower league owner - the star struck provincial boy-done-good whose reward is a few pints with Paul Merson (THE Paul Merson) after the game in the big room named after himself.

But the fire sale of our top scorer for peanuts SIMPLY SO THAT JEFF COULD GET HIS MONEY BACK will go down as the turning point in this sorry shambles of a season. An absolutely crucial decision made entirely in the interests of J Bonser and not Walsall FC. The price, the timing, the secrecy surrounding the deal - everything about Fryatt's move to Leicester stinks to high heaven.

The stock answer for Bonser's apologists is to ask what the viable alternatives to him are. But the fact that we have no saviour waiting in the wings should not preclude us from protesting about the current incumbent. This is a man who was able to sell his business because of the financial stability that OUR club affords him thanks to the rent cheque that his pension fund pockets every season. Surely this should bring some sort of accountability. Instead we have a man who actively shuns any dialogue with the club's supporters and threatens to walk away every time the fans get justifiably angry with his running of the club. This is a man who attempts to take the moral high ground when seeking a new manager, thereby instantly ruling out many of the best candidates for the job.

I used to think that Bonser had the best interests of the club at heart, but recently you really have to wonder whether his siege mentality is starting to get the better of him. He's been at the helm during an unprecendented period of success for Walsall but it looks like all the goodwill he earned during this period is nearly spent.

It's time you started earning the enormous amount of money that you take out of our club every season Mr Bonser. And it's time you stopped taking our club and its fans for granted.

WELL SAID :!:

Walsallwonder

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:11 pm

I was just in the swan earlier and was talking to james mckeown(goalkeeper) and he sid mick is getting rid of all the loans. Please do mick

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:19 pm

Some fella on WM said that it is all like a pantomine...
Too bloody true.

The club is a joke, it has absolutely no potential in it for one simple reason - half the first team squad don't belong to the club!
Some of the biggest culprits today were those who are on loan.
James - Greedy.
Smith - Looked unfit.
Leary - totally anonymous
Fitzgerald - Wasn't given any service, but made no running deep to get on the ball.

Credit to Mills, I think he looks a really decent player.

But there was no shape in the team, there was no pace, and there was absolutely no vision in midfield. Initially, I thought that the 3-5-2 might work, one of the lads I was with said that central defence is our strength, and I agreed with him. However, we offered absolutely no outlet to the back 3 when they had the ball - meaning that the only option was hopeless 50 yard balls looking for Barrowman's head or James' pace. Exactly the tactics which have f**ked up for the past 2 years.
Keates should have grabbed that midfield together single handedly. A one eyed dog could see that the midfield was being totally by-passed - he should have been chasing for the ball to be passed to him. But I didn't see that. For a midfield which dominated Chesterfield and Barnsley through out-and-out pace and strength, they were invisible today. Just shows what a couple of months of Jon Whitney's fitness regime can do to even the fittest players.
In January, Leary and Smith were box to box and looked to boss every game they played in. Smith, for me, still looked liked the only central midfielder capable of creating anything today. It was the sorriest point of a pathetic performance.
I thought Pead did well considering he was asked to play a lot further forward than he ever has today, and Wright should be totally forgiven for a quiet performance, as he came up against one of the classiest players in our league in Paul Warne. Warne is what Devlin should be to us, steady, reliable and oozing in class which can split a defence. Warne may be no great shakes in the league above, but he was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch today.
Roper always struggles against Luke Beckett, and today was no different. For once, Roper looked ragged, unfit and out of his depth.
Gerrard had a steady game, I thought.

The goalkeeper is the strangest part of the performance, though. He can make a great save on minute, and make the rashest, stupidest decision you will ever see the next. He's an honest lad who, to be fair, never tries to hide, and the defence do have confidence in him (which, barring Murphy, they haven't for any of the keepers since Walker left). There are just big question marks over him - but it is a lose-lose situation. Drop him and his confidence plummets, keep him in and you risk the rashness which typifies him.

Mick Halsall for manager? No thanks. He's a coach, and a good one at that - but today showed why the likes of Barnet and Peterborough have said "no thanks" too.

And if Merson returns as a player - well, Bonser may as well still white pain on his face, red paint on his nose and wear a big Don Goodman wig.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Hamstead Red wrote:I'l try that again , Geordie your obsessed with that pub more than Merson is , and its not the feckin swan !

Listen pal you want to enlighten me about pubs? Well go right ahead then . It's "The Old Swan", locally known as "The Swan" by basically all and sundry. Second pub in Stonnall after the Royal Oak which is better. The Old Swan is a typical second rate Bass house that attempts (and fails) to attain the "Staffs Villiage country pub image", it suits Merson down to the ground because its fake, he wouldn't last five minutes in a proper country pub.

Hamstead Red

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Feck me ! spot on Geordie , apart from refering to me as your pal , still think you have a bit of an obsession with it though for some reason :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:16 pm

Ive been in hiding the last few day, anyways todays performance was abject and clueless. This mess left by Merse is going to take a very long time to clear up. Stop shouting BONSER OUT you morons, without him we wouldnt have a club. When he seels up and Walsall go into receivership who you going to supprt then? WALSALL YOUTH OUT thats what I say.

Anyways im back off into hiding. Speak to you soon guys.

Lets hope we can win next Saturday. UTS

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:23 pm

The worst of this whole sorry debacle is that Oldham were nothing special. Which makes us abject in a really poor division. A few seasons ago teams of the standard of Oldham today would have been relegation fodder themselves - now poor rubbish like this is in the play off frame. The standard of football in this league is the lowest I've known it in all my time watching since the early 80s - worse it seems than the standard in the old Division 4 in the dark days of Kenny Hibbitt and two brass farthings to rub together for a playing budget. Its galling that when playing standards have fallen so far - I've seen no one in the last couple of seasons who has looked anything like a classy footballing side - we have fallen even further. I've consigned myself to the away trip to Accrington next season - one that will be particularly poignant in my household since it is the home town club of Mrs Fensaddler. So, here we go, back to square one, where we were in 1990, without even the banter with Grimsby's inimitable Electronic Fishcake to lighten the darkness - since they of course will have replaced us in this excuse for a football division.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:50 pm

Well if lose to a team like Oldham today we are really in trouble,we never looked liked scoring all match,and one goal to them was always going to be enough,and for a good deal of the match they never looked liked scoring as well,the whole match was crap,and what was it worth to watch,the kids who got free tickets must have thought they had been overcharged as well. :oops: :oops: :oops:

redalways

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:50 am

Halsall might have got the credit for the Colchester performance, but he got it so wrong today!

532 at home does not work. Pead and Wright offered nothing to our attacking play. Leaving three in midfield with no one to pass to out wide. Have faith, or at least lose trying

Why didn't we play two strikers up front? James wouldn't get a job as a ball boy anywhere else!
At least Alex Nicholls and Constable look as though they might score.

As for bringing Merson back as a player, that has to be the sickest joke. He got us into this mess with Bonsers full support and has barely had a decent game since WBA on day one.

Chanting Bonser Out is a waste of time, but that waste of space is bleeding the club dry and many of the present fans will not be there next year. Successful businessmen keep their customers happy. Total failure

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:17 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Hamstead Red wrote:I'l try that again , Geordie your obsessed with that pub more than Merson is , and its not the feckin swan !

Listen pal you want to enlighten me about pubs? Well go right ahead then . It's "The Old Swan", locally known as "The Swan" by basically all and sundry. Second pub in Stonnall after the Royal Oak which is better. The Old Swan is a typical second rate Bass house that attempts (and fails) to attain the "Staffs Villiage country pub image", it suits Merson down to the ground because its fake, he wouldn't last five minutes in a proper country pub.

That really must be the saddest post of the season.
Did that make you feel good showing off your vast knowledge of pubs ?. Get a life.

Ace

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:"I knew your optimism was impulsive" That must be a Marc Almond lyric?

I just re-read that and realised how funny it was :lol: :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:17 am

Graydon48 wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

That really must be the saddest post of the season.
Did that make you feel good showing off your vast knowledge of pubs ?. Get a life.

Obviously having a go at me makes a lot of poeple feel better about the Merson situation. Feel free, its good therapy for you all.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:23 am

redalways wrote:Halsall might have got the credit for the Colchester performance, but he got it so wrong today!

532 at home does not work. Pead and Wright offered nothing to our attacking play. Leaving three in midfield with no one to pass to out wide. Have faith, or at least lose trying

Why didn't we play two strikers up front? James wouldn't get a job as a ball boy anywhere else!
At least Alex Nicholls and Constable look as though they might score.

As for bringing Merson back as a player, that has to be the sickest joke. He got us into this mess with Bonsers full support and has barely had a decent game since WBA on day one.

Constable is injured and Nicholls is just a kid, we don't currently have a left full-back, but do have a plethora of central-midfielders.

I agree with what you're saying but Halsall is firefighting with this ridiculously unbalanced squad. Basically we are reliant upon Fox and Conatable gatting fit to give us a chance. But who are Fox and Constable?

A 19 year old in his first year as a first teamer, and Chippenham Town's second -top scorer. This is the Hibbit era part two in the making unless tha new boss is a miracle worker. It's simply gone on too long IMO.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:38 am

Well, we really are in the shyte now. Good and proper.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:21 am

Taking any positives out of this game is impossable we were simply dreadful Oakes kicks were poor the midfield well what midfield and up front with James and Barrowman we are relegation bound for sure the answers to our problems i wished i knew we are only 4 points from 13th place its that tight the fans the players the club needs a massive lift its time now for a new boss and hopefully he can do just that
as for some so called fans turning on Bonser what good that will do is beyond me

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:58 am

Great summing up, Jorge. I will also add, however, that we still don't look as fit as the opposition either. When they attacked, they always had support for the wing back and had option to make the cross (which they delivered better than we did all afternoon) and, on the ocasions Pead and Wright got forward, their wing backs had the support to make sure we couldn't get any space.

Oh, and our set piece delivery was shocking too.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:27 am

Just found myself studying Division 4 table to see which games I can get to next year & thinking hope Grimsby & Lincoln dont get promoted. We are in freefall & I dont know whether whoever is appointed will be able to turn things round. To think I felt quite optimistic seeing the attacking performance we put in at Saltergate. Seems a long time ago now.It was bad enough listening to commentary yesterday, it must have been dire being there as reading everyone's comments makes clear.
I echo the point made about selling Fryatt which could turn out to be one of the most shortsighted decisions in recent times.

sore saddler

Repeating myself

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:20 am

I have said this before and I will continue to say it.
UNTIL WE GET A MANAGER WHO HAS A CLEAR GAME PLAN WE WILL CONTINUE TO STRUGGLE !!!

It is not rocket science. We only have the players PM left us with so the manager has to find a system which suits the players ............ NOT try to make the players fit a different system.

Playing people out of position has never worked at ANY club at ANY time !!!

Let me cite some examples. I agree with King Crimson, we had no creativity in midfield yesterday and like him I think Standing is the player who can bring it. I KNOW he can't tackle - who cares. No one should be asking him to tackle if we are going to play a 5 man midfield. When he played in the hole between the forwards and the midfield earlier in the season he played very well and caused all sort of problems for the opposition. Playing him wide or upfront (or in goal - which I think was PM's next plan) is a complete waste of time. If Wrighty is a left fullback then PM is the best manager in England. Playing several right wingers in the same team will never work !!! I could go on but you all know the problems.

Get a manager to organise the players we have and we might have a slim chance of getting out of this mess.
But it needs to happen FAST !!!

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:30 am

100% AGREE

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 am

hullsaddler wrote:I echo the point made about selling Fryatt which could turn out to be one of the most shortsighted decisions in recent times.

Abso-bloody-lutely!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season