Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe (H) 11 February 2006 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Scunthorpe (H) 11 February 2006 - League

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:45 am

Predictions, come one come all! Remember, this is the team we beat 3-1 away last September, our last league away win, I believe, albeit against ten men who had the majority of the possession and who equalised before we made the extra man count.

I predict another abject surrender, as the lack of planning, training and managing finally comes to the fore.

1-3 to Scunny in a reverse of our earlier game.

bez

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 am

I think we will win! if the idiot is still in charge (can't see how he can be after yesterday but) and bonser is keeping his word about giving him "two" more games we'll turn in a half decent performance not through the managers motivation but through the players being embarrassed of the brentford game, and wanting to save face from personel points of view,we'll sneek a one goal win which in bonsers eyes would be enough to delay the sacking of the man in charge (aint calling him manager anymore its an insult to managers), hope i'm wrong and the idiot will do the only possible decent thing and F*** OFF before the scunny game!
1-0 walsall.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:40 am

I have finally given up hope in a turn around with this manager in charge.
the last couple of results have given me no other way and say "merson out".
I've now officially joined the merson out club.

I can't se a victory on saturday with Merson in charge..
Change manager the first thing tomorrow (monday) and we will win on saturday.

Will
UTS Regular

Paradox / Dilemma

Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 am

Yeah it's the classic paradox / dilemma innit?

If we get a win Merse may keep his job for another week or two and it might cost us more points in the long run and bring us closer to relegation.

If we lose he'll go and although we lose 3 points and get closer to relegation we'll at least get rid of the idiot and have a (slim) chance of survival.

The ideal scenario is a thoroughly undeserved and unconvincing win where Scunthorpe dominate for 89 mins but fail to score, we get a dodgy penalty decision and get the winner in the last minute - that might lead to a win win situation. Merse will still get the sack but we get the points.

If we can't get the points AND get rid of Merse I'd happily take the defeat to be honest, disgusting as that sounds as at least we will have a chance of having some decent training sessions, organisation and motivation before the end of the season and survive in what, in reality, is a mediocre division.

Course all of this could be avoided if Bonser actually showed a bit of backbone and resolve and sacks him first thing Mon morning as anyone with an ounce of sense would do.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:18 am

There is the option of boycotting the game - the newspapers would love it.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:32 am

So what happens if we win? We then go to Colchester and get stuffed. Then it's a tougher home game against Oldham, followed by another stuffing at Southend. It's just delaying the inevitable, the inevitable being that with this tit in charge we are destined for a relegation place. The only thing that has kept him in a job for 12 months is Matty Fryatt. Now Matty is almost single-handedly keeping Leicester out of relegation just as he did us before Christmas. There is very little chance we will get the requisite 20 points to be certain we survive with Merson in charge of a Fryattless team. He could just about manage that points ratio with Matty in the team.

Look at the table there are now two relegation places very much in the balance. Swindon are suddenly putting a run together and have every chance of staying up, Bristol City will surely survive, so who's the favourites for the drop at the moment? I just can't see beyond us going down with Merson in charge, not after these last two results and performances, he just hasn't got what it takes to lift the team from here.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 am

not for the first i cant understand merson what difference is one more game going to make he must know his time is up as Geordie says we beat Scunthorpe then get bloody hammered at colchester and southend and maybe scrape a draw at home to oldham where dose that leave us
our only hope now is that first thing monday morning JB does his job and puts all out of our misery

diffusion

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:02 am

I can't see a win coming here. We have hardly got a back line due to injuries and scunny definately have the strikers to be able to make the best of that. Although knowing our luck and the fact that merson might actually still be in charge we will probably nick the win and save his skin for a little bit longer. Lets just all hope that merson is not here for the match!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:09 am

1. Merson will be sacked tomorrow.
2. Halsall put in charge for Saturday.
3. A more organised Walsall team win 2-0.
4. We begin to start life after Paul Merson.

I wont hold my breath.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:13 am

wfc_2uk wrote:1. Merson will be sacked tomorrow.
2. Halsall put in charge for Saturday.3. A more organised Walsall team win 2-0.

I wont hold my breath.

Do you think that is why they postponed tomorrows reserve game?

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:20 am

ws3 wrote:

I wont hold my breath.

hhm... isn't Kinsella in charge for the Reserveteam?

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:23 am

PerStener wrote:
ws3 wrote:

I wont hold my breath.

That is a very, very good point.

Perhaps then Kinsella will be in charge next week.

diffusion

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:23 am

Its definately a possiblity but probably unlikely. I notice that theres only 1 report on the website regarding yesterdays shambles. Maybe they have got more sense to put what rubbish merson talks on the site these days!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:36 am

ws3 wrote:
PerStener wrote:
ws3 wrote:

I wont hold my breath.

That is a very, very good point.

Perhaps then Kinsella will be in charge next week.

I agree its a possibility, but with Westwood,Roper and Oakes doubtful for Saturday and with Gerrard suspended I think its just to put cotton wool around the back up players.

diffusion

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:39 am

Again another valid point. But surely they can't call off a reserve team game as long as they have enough players. Hopefully something will be put in black and white tomorrow but i doubt that will be the case.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:45 am

diffusion wrote:Again another valid point. But surely they can't call off a reserve team game as long as they have enough players. Hopefully something will be put in black and white tomorrow but i doubt that will be the case.

They have used the youth team in the reserveteam before when we have had injuries so why not this time?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 pm

I'm praying Merson will be sacked before Saturday because it's a must win game. We won't if he's still here though because:

1. We have no defenders because of yet another hamstring injury because of non existant training and because he let players go that could have been used as cover.

2. The players clearly don't want to play for him anymore. They've had enough as much as we have. It showed yesterday, especially the moment at the end when a few came over to the fans as if to say "well done, we're all in this together, lets get him out".

If he's still here I'm prepared to take a loss if it guarantees his sacking. We have more chance of staying up if he goes on Saturday even if we do lose because it will mean we can hopefully have an instant improvement instead of us winning them bobbling along until the next time he needs to win to save his job.

SAVE WALSALL, DON'T LET MERSON WIN.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:08 pm

I ABSOLUTELY HATE PAUL MERSON

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:16 pm

saddlerken wrote:I ABSOLUTELY HATE PAUL MERSON

And I'm planning on letting him know just how much during the week if he's not sacked tomorrow. Who's in? Saturday is too late.

SADDLERS FOR JUSTICE STYLE CAMPAIGN OUTSIDE THE MAIN DOORS DURING THE WEEK. WE'LL ARRANGE A DAY AND SORT IT. BRING YOUR FLASKS, IT COULD BE A LONG ONE.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

And I'm planning on letting him know just how much during the week if he's not sacked tomorrow. Who's in? Saturday is too late.

SADDLERS FOR JUSTICE STYLE CAMPAIGN OUTSIDE THE MAIN DOORS DURING THE WEEK. WE'LL ARRANGE A DAY AND SORT IT. BRING YOUR FLASKS, IT COULD BE A LONG ONE.

start a thread on it on all about walsall

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

I would love to but I'm too far away to come

Paul Merson thinks he's bigger than the club...FACT

Ace

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Walsall 2 - 1 Scunthorpe

They will score first on '5, then we'll score successive goals on '88 and '89.

Merse to stay another month, yahoo. :)

sean511
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:44 pm

WALSALL 2-0 SCUMTHORPE

Merson will still be here :cry:

Shad

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:09 pm

3-0 Walsall and the man will stay :roll: :(

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:40 am

3-1 to us.

Merse,2 goals and 1 assist.Subbed 80th minute,to a standing ovation.

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:51 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Now we have a few individuals trying to start a competitive 'my banner's bigger than yours'.

You don't need to MMF, leave it out.

:roll:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 am

I'd larf like firk if the forecast took a turn for the worse and Saturday was called off, meaning the next game was Colchester away.

AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!! An away game ...run for the hills!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I'd larf like firk if the forecast took a turn for the worse and Saturday was called off, meaning the next game was Colchester away.

AAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!! An away game ...run for the hills!

......run for your liiiiiiiiiife!

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:32 am

as Merson is sacked it'll give the players an enormous confidencial boost, they wanna show that they are good players and wanna have a revenge after last weekend's 5-0 defeat.

3-0 for the Super Saddlers.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:41 am

2. Halsall put in charge for Saturday.
3. A more organised Walsall team win 2-0.

I wont hold my breath.

2 right! I strike again! :lol:

Next
Return to 2005-06 Season