Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) 4th February 2006 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
sj
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Now Thats an Idea :shock:

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Just got back from the game. Did I say game - more a nightmare. Just what has happened to Walsall Football Club? Just a while back and we were mid table in theChampionship. Now, relegation stares us in the face.
It all started in the pub with UCOW et al telling me Merse was late for the team bus. Then the news that "he is not good enough" Atieno was up front. But then some hope. The lads had a bonding session before the kick off. Great, I thought. We are going to win this one. What a fool I was. It was just awful, truly, truly awful. I didn't go to Swindon but was informed it was worse. Westwood got the bird first half and then went off. There was a continuous chorus of Merson out, together with a banner. It was summed up in the first half for me when after at least 30 minutes we managed to put 3, thats right 3 passes together. Are these professional footballers? Pull the other leg. The first attempt at goal came after 75 minutes - but that was only an attempt. I don't think we had one, not one chance in the entire 90 minutes. Just very, very depressing. Thank goodness I have now got this off my chest. Who is to blame. BONSOR. The buck stops at the top.

Phil_G

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:15 pm

I think you'll find Paul Franks doesn't believe Merse was late for the coach, "it's just something that was said on that website" to paraphrase

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Phil_G wrote:I think you'll find Paul Franks doesn't believe Merse was late for the coach, "it's just something that was said on that website" to paraphrase

I heard that, it was a lady called Anne who told Franksy that and his response to finding it was off the internet was that she must be one of the Merson Out brigade. After all, it couldn't possibly be true could it?

Phil_G

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Phil_G wrote:I think you'll find Paul Franks doesn't believe Merse was late for the coach, "it's just something that was said on that website" to paraphrase

I heard that, it was a lady called Anne who told Franksy that and his response to finding it was off the internet was that she must be one of the Merson Out brigade. After all, it couldn't possibly be true could it?

Franks says "the Merson Out Brigade" like it's a radical splinter cell of the IRA.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Utterly, utterly shameful. The only possible crumb of comfort in this godawful result is that is must hasten the end of Merson's tenure. I really have tried to hope for the best, and hope that he could turn it round, but it is clear that whoever he brings in, and whatever resources he has at his disposal, he cannot deliver. Nice guy he may be, but he is no more a competent football manager than I am a competent footballer. Some things we can do, some things we can't, and Merson is no football manager. Let there be no mistake, there is enough talent in our squad to be a decent team in this league, and Merson has had the resources to build a squad capable certainly of competence in this league, and potentially of threatening the play off places. They just need organising, motivating, keeping fit, and straightforward tactics and selection. There are enough people capable of doing that for us not to fear change. I wish Merson well in whatever he does, but he cannot any longer be the manager of our football club.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:46 pm

Giza wrote:
Lets get paul simpson in

It could be Homer Simpson , I doubt he could do any worse than Merson.

Please Bonser , make the decision for him. You said you regretted not sacking Colin Lee a few weeks before you actually did , DONT make the same mistake again. DO IT ASAP.

Phil_G

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:51 pm

bit lively on here tonight innit?

Wait till the boys who've actually been get back home.

hobbsy_bfc

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I am not going to gloat because I'm sure you will get enough of that from other Brentford fans. Can I just say that I do know how you feel, we were the same when we had Wally Downes in charge and every performance was painful to watch and the players had no inspiration or confidence.

I think the thing that you should be concerned about the most is that that was not anywhere near our best performance and we just happen to take our chances when they were presented to us.

You will have a tough time against Colchester and Southend coming up, (who have both beaten us recently, Southend 4-1).

Good luck for the rest of the season and if you do change your manager make sure you get a good replacement. :)

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:21 pm

Just got back home, ABSOLUTE AND UTTER SHAMBLES.

I ask anyone to defy me when i say that Paul merson is the biggest tw@ i have ever come accross.

All these people who say he is a 'nice bloke' - Rubbish.

Does a nice bloke offer out our supporters? no, tw@

I came out smiling tho, as i thought he would resign, if he doesnt get sack monday morning, I will going in. No passion, no tactics, absolute disgrace. bye bye merson. Deano was best player, tried his heart out. however i am sad to report that there are still some happy clappers, who told me and cheesebag to shut up, we quickly ended that with cheesebags tirade on them , that got the coppers even laughing!

well done to the mosoc crew, not long left.

BYE BYE PAUL

diffusion

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:29 pm

seriously how can there be happy clappers after a performance like this?

I wasn't at the game but the 5-0 scoreline says it all really.

I certainly hope merson gets the sack monday morning as he ain't got the balls to resign. He has had it coming and this result really should be the nail in the coffin.

How much longer can this go on???

Get rid of him before its too late!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:44 pm

To those that went today.....

I take my hat off to you all (Happy clappers or not). To still be going to away matches is either truly loyal to Walsall FC or totally mad (delete as appropriate). No one can tell those calling for the managers head unloyal - they are still spending their hard earned cash to gop watch this tripe. Plus, if Merse still thinks its "the 20 or so..." calling for his head, then he is more deluded than I thought.

Give him a jeer for me on Sat (assuming he is still there) as I wont be there!

Sedgleysaddler

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi guys new to the board just got back from the match. What a shocking performance, no passion, no desire, no commitment just a terrible performance.
Only Keatsy came out with any credit in my opinion.
I don’t know where we go from here, we need some fresh ideas and fast or we will be relegated!!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:55 pm

It's very hard to describe a "performance" like that, but try I must. It's pretty academic, but it looked like Oakes was fouled in the lead up to their first goal, which meant he was then struggling for the rest of the first half and had to be replaced by a hapless kid for the second half, who was responsible for at least one and maybe two of the second half goals.

But still, we were comprehensively outplayed by a decent Brentford side, and very much looked like a team destined for relegation. Team set up was bizarre as usual (you might imagine that Atieno was up front, but oh no, don't be daft, he was on the right wing for the first half before swapping with James in the second) and obviously we weren't helped by Westwood (who was obviously unfit from the word go) having to go off and us having nobody to replace him with. Both of our full backs were run ragged but the real damage was done in the middle, both of midfield and defence, where we were simply second best everywhere. Fans' favourite Gerrard had a bit of a nightmare (though when he and Oakes miscommunicated and almost let them in for another, it was predictably Westwood who the fans started having a go at, despite him being miles away) but then so did everyone else. Sadly, the loan players have quickly fallen by the wayside, since they were all rubbish today, and the new signings looked out of their depth. Keates was exactly as I remembered him, ie strong in the tackle, usually giving a foul away, and unable to pass the ball within 60 yards of any of our players. Barrowman looked like a young lad making his debut and did some decent things, but you can't tell me he looked any better than Atieno ("he's not good enough," says Merson) or Constable or for that matter Birch.

We wouldn't have scored if we'd played till Thursday and Brentford had nine men sent off.

Merson sat in the dugout in a way that resembled Kenny Hibbitt in his last days, with head in hands throughout the match, and the only advice to the players from the sidelines was coming from the physio.

Dreadful, a shambles, and surely enough that Merson's managerial career will end, just as it began, with a 5-0 defeat.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:19 pm

Jorge14 wrote:And yet at 3-0 people were singing Merson's name...

Bizarre...

Not quite sure where you got that information, but that certainly did not happen.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:35 pm

cheesebag wrote:

Bizarre...

Not quite sure where you got that information, but that certainly did not happen.

It was in the background on the match commentary...we couldn't decide whether it was Brentford fans being ironic, or Walsall fans being delluded!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Merson:

"If we had lost 25-0 I wouldn't have resigned" - maybe he should F*ck off and manage Bon Accord.

Merson: "Yow did NewCarstle get on I bet...(interviewer the won 2-0)...there you see ? I bet If Souness had been in charge they would still have won 2-0 just goes to show changing the manager doesn't always??????" Eh?

Merson: "The 10 or 15 that want me out"
Derides hardwoking paying supporters.

This man is not a nice man. Ray Graydon was a nice man and he got the sack after getting us promoted twice and giving us some of the best, and probably the greatest day in the life of any Walsall fans through history. It was this chairman who sacked him. How can Merson keep his job when Sir Ray got sacked?

Yes let's get behind the team next Saturday as Merse suggests, lets sing all afternoon from 2.30 "we love you Walsall, followed by there's only one Ray Graydon". Just to make ourselves feel better as though he was still here.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
cheesebag wrote:

Bizarre...

It was in the background on the match commentary...we couldn't decide whether it was Brentford fans being ironic, or Walsall fans being delluded!

Cetainly NOT Walsall....

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:01 pm

neil, Really sorry. i sent four text messages, one when Percie was by me to update you on the game. However Ive just got online to see you didnt receive one message! I phoned up the number I saved in my phone for you and some teenage girl answered!!! :shock: Ill get it right for the 14th. Ill need you to ring me again sorry.

Onto the game...

5-0,5-0 5 fudge 0. Oakes playing with one arm....thats the end of that.

Thanks to fellow UTS'ers that contributed to holding up the banner and singing some very comical songs! "Merson for Skysports" and "Fish and Chips at Grimsby town" the pick of the bunch.
Merson offered me,Percie and Daz out half way through first half, very funny. Whitney had to stop him, very professional Merson :shock:

I get home to find hes still in job, if Bonser doesnt sack him on Monday morning. There will be bedlam at Bescot next Saturday and on Jeff's head be it!

Theres Joly,RedPrince and Daz with my banner!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 am

Mr Bonser please, HE MUST GO THIS WEEK.

On WM he said "No need for banners, just get behind the team next Saturday. If we lose to Scunthorpe I'll walk".

Well we can't afford to wait until next week, we are ONE POINT above the bottom four, this is already the crisis that some of us have been warning about, not for weeks, but for MONTHS! All this while some head-buriers have been saying "Get behind Merson, we just need to string a decent run together and we'll be OK." Well guys, fat-f*****g chance!

So what now? From his own mouth, if we lose next week, he'll walk.

But what if we draw with Scunthorpe, does he think that'll do, that he can stay on?

What if we win, does he think that's great, he is vindicated and we can move on with confidence until the next crisis hits us two weeks later, as history proves will happen. It can't just go on and on and on like this - he MUST go, immediately, and I hope JB can finally see it.

Franksy today dissed us message boarders; "the anti-Merson brigade" is how he described us. He hasn't got a f*****g clue!

Surely you must read this board Franksy, if you are into the local football scene it is THE only place to go for reasoned Saddlers comment.

So get your head around this Franksy, we are NOT the anti-Merson brigade, we are the PRO-WALSALL FC brigade, most of us don't hate Merson, we love Walsall FC and want what is best for the club, and even your own comments prove that you know, like us, that PM is not up to it.

Merson out, save our club. That is the true sentiment of myself and many others amongst the posters on this board. I have nothing against him personally, but he can't hack it, plain and simple!

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:33 am

What a load of claptrap he talks!! I heard him going on about standing behind the team next week at home! How dare he! We pay good money each season to sing and support our team! Hard working people spend their hard earned wages travelling away to support our team! HE DAMN WELL GETS PAID FOR GOING!!!!!! What difference does it make to him? he still gets his cheque at the end of the week to waste on whatever he's drinking!!!! God he makes me mad!

Telling everyone if we lost he'd go! Well why stay? Even if we win its only papering over his inabilities to manage the team for another week! Just go and go now why wait another "6 sleepless nigths" You cannot do the job Merson. So go now before it really is too late :evil:

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:41 am

I've now officially joined the Merson out club..

MOSOC

:D :D

Foxy

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:00 am

The people singing Merson's name were Brentford fans taking the mick.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:04 am

PerStener wrote:I've now officially joined the Merson out club..

MOSOC

:D :D

Whats that in Sweedish????

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:24 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Mr Bonser please, HE MUST GO THIS WEEK.

On WM he said "No need for banners, just get behind the team next Saturday. If we lose to Scunthorpe I'll walk".

Well we can't afford to wait until next week, we are ONE POINT above the bottom four

I agree with what you said Geoff. Anyway if he doesnt go tomorrow morning and like you say we cant wait until next week I am more than willing to pop down to Bescot for YET another protest. At least then Bonser would fully understand that we want to do something about it. If Jeff isnt careful I can see the attendance falling below 4,000 next Saturday.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Mr Bonser please, HE MUST GO THIS WEEK.

Well we can't afford to wait until next week, we are ONE POINT above the bottom four

I agree with what you said Geoff. Anyway if he doesnt go tomorrow morning and like you say we cant wait until next week I am more than willing to pop down to Bescot for YET another protest. At least then Bonser would fully understand that we want to do something about it. If Jeff isnt careful I can see the attendance falling below 4,000 next Saturday.

To be honest Kev, I'm not sure which is for the best :

1. a stay-away protest which will speak for itself, but only if sufficient numbers take part to make a meaningful impact,

or

2. a vocal protest at the match

The problem is in coordinating either option. I think option 1 might get a reasonable level of support in the coming days, but on match day will the lure of the game get too much for a lot of us? I ask this because I, personally, always find myself weakening when Saturday morning dawns. Even though I've more-or-less vowed not to go back after each debacle that we've suffered, I still find myself drawn because ... well who knows ... because it's the Saddlers and it's Saturday, I guess that's the only logical explanation.

Option 2 is a big problem because we are all so widely distributed around Bescot. Perhaps now though, after these five games, one acceptable performance at Chesterfield, one good showing at Swansea, and three very poor displays elsewhere, just 1 point and dumped out of 2 cups, maybe a bit more of the tide has turned and just maybe there will be more of the fans willing to join in if a protest is started in the ground.

I really am finding this a hard one to call.

But one thing I don't find hard is my ever-strengthening view that any continuation whatsoever of Merson's so-called "management" puts us in more and more danger of relegation. Even a win vs Scunny will only paper over the cracks once again, until we return to square-one soon after. We still have to visit Colchester and Southend in February, so even winning our games at Bescot this month can surely only give us 6 points out of the 15 available (including yesterday).

To anyone who questions this view, I would just ask "did you hear Merson's interview after yesterday's game?". It is now absolutely clear, from Merson's own mouth, that he does NOT have any belief that he can lead our team to an away win. Well if he has no belief, how can he transmit any belief to his players?

He stated on WM that, as soon as the away FA Cup tie at Stoke was drawn out of the hat, he "..... said to the lads that gives us 5 away games on the trot, and that could get me the sack .....".

So from that moment, his belief was that we would get little or nothing from those 5 games - what sort of message is that to his players, what kind of motivation, what kind of confidence can that instil ? I found those words quite incredible to be honest, and if nothing else proves what type of character we have in charge of our team, this surely does.

Please Mr Bonser, don't prolong his, or our, agony any longer, today is the day to call him in and send him on his way. Personally I wish him no ill and I gain no pleasure in seeing him fail, but I ask you to finally realise that he hasn't got the qualities to manage a football team.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:26 pm

More than ever yesterday Geoff the Merson Out protests got a little more aggressive and more vocal. there must have been 30 or 40 singing for his head (after the drunken lot by the scoreboard had a go). I just hope that Saturday we all join in if hes still here. I know the main singing bunch sit in the lower block 4 of the F2G and I am in there anyway so i might find a seat closer to them with the banner. Whether or not we like it IF hes still here, you either stay away or call for his head. NO IN BETWEEN.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:18 pm

I'll be calling for his head from Florida....Daz has promised to keep me in touch. :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Firstly the game, which isn't really relevant as shown by the comments above which hardly mention the match, so I won't go into detail.

Keates and Atieno were my pick. But enough of the game.

I don't blame the players, they clearly don't want to play for Merson and are helping speed up his departure. Not very professional but I think like us they know it's best for the club and their CV's if he goes immediately.

Secondly, just to confirm it was Brentford fans singing Merson In. Jokers. There were more Merson Out chants than ever, longer and louder. Still not enough though. I can't believe many of the people there want him to stay so why not join in. It's for the best interests of the club, do your bit.

SAVE WALSALL, DON'T LET MERSON WIN

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:58 pm

Another Brentford fan comment:

DustonBees Posted on 5/2 15:55 Email this Message | Reply
re: Brentford shambles
As a football fan who travels I can honestly say that I have never felt so gutted for away fans in my life. I have never seen a worse performance than you gave yesterday.
Fans should be refunded ala Tranmere when we knocked 4 past them, however we were good that day and yesterday we were average, sloppy and won 5-0.
Those that were there know I am being genuine and feel for you after that shambles.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season