Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stoke City (A) 28/01/06- F.A Cup 4th Round

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:26 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:
Saddler Jim wrote:
AC_Loyalist wrote:Stoke City 3 - 2 Walsall

And you wander Andrew why you never get invited to any party's. :cry: :cry:

...Because I organise them! :twisted:

What do you charge for admission mate,one cactus per person. That's if anyone turns up that is. :lol: :lol:

Ace

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 pm

Saddler Jim wrote:What do you charge for admission mate,one cactus per person. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, cacti will be available to over 18's but each person must bring a cactus 8)

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Yer real 8) 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 am

Back on topic. High flying Walsall expectations brought back down to Earth with yet another away defeat, leaving us free to concentrate on the league.

3-1 to the ugly inbred northerners, says I.

Ace

Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:50 am

Exile wrote:Back on topic. High flying Walsall expectations brought back down to Earth with yet another away defeat, leaving us free to concentrate on the league.

Couldn't have put it better myself 8)

Hey, I'd rather be proven wrong than disappointed!

asimpson
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 am

i think this will be a high scoring game, say no more

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:
sean511 wrote:2-1 to walsall

I'd say that too. I won't bet on it though, otherwise there'd be no chance !

2 - 0 - January 8th 1966 revisited. I know, cos I was there.

Neil, if you were at a Walsall game on 8th January 1966 you were at Fellows Park for a home game vs Scunthorpe mate - and no Balti pies either. :?

Stoke away was 22nd January, I know, I was there too. So today I guess it's 40-years-plus-a-week ago.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:53 am

Neil----I enjoyed reading your match preview, very interesting stuff.

I think you know that I started watching Walsall because I lived in Old Wallows Lane as a child and one of the first sounds I can remember was the roar of the crowed after Walsall had scored in the early 1960s.
They seemed to score more often in those days.

bez

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:29 pm

As you can see my first post but have been tuning in and reading the message board for a few months, thought it was about time i took part so i'll go for a walsall win 2-1.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:01 pm

Welcome Bez!

I'm with you... a 2-1 win!

COME ON U SADDLERS!!!!

(wish I was there! :cry: )

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:06 pm

KJC wrote:Welcome Bez!

I'm with you... a 2-1 win!

COME ON U SADDLERS!!!!

(wish I was there! :cry: )

Ditto! :cry:

bez

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Cheers KJC.. me too couldn't go today due to unavoidable circumstaces, gutted! got to settle for listening on saddlers world but no commentry so listening to some dumb sjoke bloke, up the saddlers.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:51 pm

1-0 Stoke

Sidebe (44 minutes).

:(

Now half time.

Come on Walsall!!!!

luke

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:03 pm

I really wanted to go to this game. I ogt to the tiketoffice friday at 10am and they said there was no more coaches available haven't got a car so i was fudge for a lift Gutted ! :(

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:05 pm

Half time report from the Fat Controller on the front page. Says we look fairly punchless and desperately need a plan b

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:09 pm

2 - 0 - ugly barsteward scored.

bez

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:11 pm

james 2-1 come on....

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Nicholls just hit the post!!! :evil:

Standing now on for Wright

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:57 pm

Okay out of both cups in one week. 3 Points of relegation spot. Get rid of the clown now.......

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Biggles wrote:3 Points of relegation spot.

Two points now.

scotty

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:09 pm

what was the score from todays match need to text my husband who's away!!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:10 pm

longdogs wrote:
Biggles wrote:3 Points of relegation spot.

Two points now.

2 indeed - and 14 behind Brentford in the last play off spot, having played the same number of games.

Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:31 pm

Just got back from the match (live in stoke), real shame we're out... the fans were amazing!! must have been at least 3,000 of us and generally a superb atmosphere... stoke fans were pretty non existant.

Timm and James didn't really appear that up for it in my opinon and we desparatly need to sign a striker before tuesdays deadline!

mcdermott seemed a little out of his depth and nicholls made a super impact when he came on... not sure what merson was doin starting mcdermott and not nicholls.

westwood once again made a couple of mistakes but was generally ok, gerrard made a superb tackle in the second half to deny chadwick? a clear shot on goal.

so we're out of the cup and no we just need to concentrate on staying out of a relegation battle!!

Rob Samuel

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:46 pm

I haven't been to many games this season as i'm at uni most of the time so came home for this one; anyway here's my thoughts -

All in all i thought we were fairly poor, we gave the ball away incessantly and most of the time i feel that it was because of a lack of drive/concentration from the players - not enough drive to make a strong enough pass, get a foot to the ball or meet a header.

Now as i said i haven't been to many games but on what i have seen and on todays performance I think Pead is absolute trash. The amount of times he gives the ball away with aimless punts when there are simple passes to be made is totally infuriating; his decision making is also poor, often when someone is running with the ball towards the defence and is being covered by another player he'll still be concentrating on them rather than picking up his man, leading to a desperate dash back once the pass is made.

I know people like Fox on here but i also think he's fairly poor, gave the ball away a lot today and is also very one paced.

Our style really didn't suit James and as he was coming up against a strong and quick back two he becamse despondent early on, although he didn't have much support either.

Central defence was good on the whole and coped ok with Sidibe.

Leary and Smith were ok but both lack pace which is evident when missing out on a lot of 50-50s.

Nicholls gave us so much more impetus when he came on (Mcdermott offered absolutely nothing by the way) if everyone would have worked as hard as him it would have been a different story.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:52 pm

scotty wrote:what was the score from todays match need to text my husband who's away!!
WELL YOU PROBABLY KNOW BY NOW MRS SCOTTY 2-1 TO STOKE CITY :x

Valence Finstorr

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Just got back from the game. Im well pround of our fans. We made all the noise. Great show from our fans.

The match...

Firstly, i wasnt quite sure what merson was thinking dropping nicholls, and putting mcdermot on the left wing. Poor mcdermot looked out of his depth and out of position. Bad decision merson.

Secondly, I thought Mark Wright, was, as usual, completely inaffective throughout the first half- he barely touched the ball, and added no physical presence whatsoever. However, he did what he usually does, two touches, and a great cross. But he really must start adding to the team for the rest of the game. So what he put a decent cross in. The ball he got from Timm was excellent, and he had so much space even I could have put a decent ball in.

To be honest I would have started with Nicholls, who looks a much more accomplished player than Mcdermot [not being derogatory to McD, but he's younger]. With James on the right, and nicholls upfront, I think we'd have been a better side.

Merson on the radio afterwards said something that I absolutely had to disagree with. When he said "we try and get the ball down and play". B0ll0cks. 90% of the time we just miss out the midfield by booting it up the field, and the other 10%, we cant string 2 passes together because our midfield are so unfit, and are second to everything.

Further to that point, on another thread, I said that I thought we'd start to see Leary and Smith deteriorate as they become unfit due to our training methods, or lack of. And I think this was evident today. We were over run in midfield by a poor championship side. Wright wasn't at the races, McD on the left was lost, but Smith and Leary in the middle simply weren't sharp enough. I think you can already see a difference in their sharpness and fitness from when they first signed for us.

I thought Nicholls when he came on was superb. He brought two good saves out of De Goey, and hit the post - terribly unlucky not to score. I'd have him starting upfront in place of james, but with james on the right wing in place of wright, who needs to learn what a footballer is.

It's disappointing to go out, but I wasn't expecting anything from the game. Merson's figure for this season is 41, and still people on the radio say he hasn't had any support from the board, and still hasn't got us to a situation with an experienced striker in the squad.

I'd be interested to know what went on with the stewards at the end. I saw a couple of our fans being led away by the police, then after a lot of remonstrating from our fans down there, a couple of cops came back and led a steward away.

Terrible support from Stoke. They had hardly any fans, and no atmosphere was created by them whatsoever - they should be ashamed for a club of their size.

Swindon and Brentford away are two very difficult away games, we need at least 4 points from them.

EDIT:

forget to mention westwood.

IMHO a poor showing from the 'captain' today, with Gerrard tidying his mistakes. He seems to get caught out of position a lot of the time,and tries to play around 10 yards in front of gerrard. Ian Roper, Ian Ian Roper
Last edited by Valence Finstorr on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Glitterati

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Not sure what happened with the stewards at the end but I saw at least 2 stewards throwing cheap punches at Walsall fans. One of the stewards was led away by a cop the other had to be pulled off by a fellow steward. Very poor show from the stewards.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:08 pm

Yes I want to know what happned !!!

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:17 pm

What is it with these stewards at Stoke,this week causing trouble with our fans,and last week fighting wth there own fans,do you have to be a nutter to apply for job there or what.

Valence Finstorr

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Rob Samuel wrote:I haven't been to many games this season as i'm at uni most of the time so came home for this one; anyway here's my thoughts -

All in all i thought we were fairly poor, we gave the ball away incessantly and most of the time i feel that it was because of a lack of drive/concentration from the players - not enough drive to make a strong enough pass, get a foot to the ball or meet a header.

Now as i said i haven't been to many games but on what i have seen and on todays performance I think Pead is absolute trash. The amount of times he gives the ball away with aimless punts when there are simple passes to be made is totally infuriating; his decision making is also poor, often when someone is running with the ball towards the defence and is being covered by another player he'll still be concentrating on them rather than picking up his man, leading to a desperate dash back once the pass is made.

I know people like Fox on here but i also think he's fairly poor, gave the ball away a lot today and is also very one paced.

Our style really didn't suit James and as he was coming up against a strong and quick back two he becamse despondent early on, although he didn't have much support either.

Central defence was good on the whole and coped ok with Sidibe.

Leary and Smith were ok but both lack pace which is evident when missing out on a lot of 50-50s.

Nicholls gave us so much more impetus when he came on (Mcdermott offered absolutely nothing by the way) if everyone would have worked as hard as him it would have been a different story.

To be honest, i'd disagree with a couple of your points there. Firstly I thought our central defenders didn't cope very well with sidibe. He outpaced gerrard, and outjumped westwood, and had 2/3 free headers in the second half.

As for pead and fox. Not 100% convinced by pead, but I think he is decent. Fox is superb IMHO. Probably one of our best players.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season