Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield v Walsall (A) - 21st January - League One

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:06 pm

I don't buy that, why not get rid of Merson now then?

Personally, I've got such little confidence in what we're seeing now because all it takes is to lose out on James/Timm, like we did with Joachim/Surman and we're right back to square 1.

That's presuming these loan players also maintain the same level of performance after they sign. After all, they're playing for a contract now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm not saying I agree with it, I just see it as a possibility Stu. There maybe compensation involved in getting rid now or he maybe waiting to see what division we're in and that's why we're not making more permenent signings. :shock:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:53 pm

There's nothing at all to stop Bonser showing Merson the door. It's a matter of record that he (Merson) is operating without a contract, or at least there aren't any stipulations involving payouts which would cost the club a sizable severence fee. I suppose the argument could be made that while we're in both cup competitions theres still cash to be made, but even allowing for that, a better argument could be made for a new manager to be installed so as to give the side the boost a new man tends to bring under such circumstances. All in all, it's clear Merson will be not be sacked, but when he does go it'll be done on his (Mersons) terms, personal or family reasons I'd guess. Then we should bring in Paul Simpson.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I agree about Simpson. I hated him as a player for us but he's going great at Carlisle. Problem is a lot of bigger clubs are suggesting him for their clubs and arguably Carlisle are a bigger club on the up compared to us anyway.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Sad but it looks to be very true.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Strange you should mention Carlisle, as I know a Carlisle fan and he can't stand Simpson. Doesn't like the style of football he brings with him and would be happy if he left, despite what he has done for them.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm

It's that 'outside looking in' thing I suppose Stu, but for me look at where we were when Merse played his second game for us against them in the League Cup, and look at things now. They've moved on a bit as a club since they were loaning the likes of Fryatt off of us a couple of seasons ago, and I'd like to think that it could be put down to reasonable level of on the field management. In fairness I suppose their supporters are far better qualified to speak on the man more so than I am, but he's got them used to winning again and they're looking a fair bet to go up.
Last edited by Salop Saddler on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Horses for courses in my opinion is what I'd say to your mate Stu. You play the kind of football that will make you successful in the particular division you're in.

That's why Merson will always struggle while managing us in this division because total football isn't always going to get you results even if it is better to watch. He keeps saying he doesn't want us to clog it up to a big man in every interview possible which is fair enough, none of us want to see that either but there is some middle ground which is being gritty which we've suddenly found in Leary and Smith and also hard work which all the new loan players have brought.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks to the lot by me that broke into a chorus of
"Your just as bent as your spire". To be interupted by my mate Nathan "Your just as bent as their spire". I didnt know where to put myself. :oops: :?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:11 pm

MMF, its strange you mention 'horses for courses', I've always been of the view that Merson would have made a better job of it in the Championship where he could play football and wouldn't face kick & rush merchants.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Stu wrote:MMF, its strange you mention 'horses for courses', I've always been of the view that Merson would have made a better job of it in the Championship where he could play football and wouldn't face kick & rush merchants.

I agree Stu but if he's going to manage there he has to do his apprenticeship here first and be successful and do whatever it takes to be successful, even if it means playing in a way that goes against your principals on the game.

Sorry wfc_2uk, I couldn't resist. :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:02 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:MMF, its strange you mention 'horses for courses', I've always been of the view that Merson would have made a better job of it in the Championship where he could play football and wouldn't face kick & rush merchants.

I agree Stu but if he's going to manage there he has to do his apprenticeship here first and be successful and do whatever it takes to be successful, even if it means playing in a way that goes against your principals on the game.

Sorry wfc_2uk, I couldn't resist. :lol:

Did you stand by me then MMF? I was by Percie and coxy.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Yeah, just to the left of Percie singing "bent as your spire, your f*&"@":£ bent as your spire..." :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:47 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Yeah, just to the left of Percie singing "bent as your spire, your f*&"@":£ bent as your spire..." :lol:

So you hang around with "Freddy Flintoff"? :lol: Was it you that shouted "when Walsall get to the champions league will be the day I suck a c**k like a lollipop?! :shock:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Enjoyed the game yesterday, Played very well we should of wrapped it up 2nd half with james missing from close just hitting the keepers leg! Also timms missing. Great atmopshere from us lot again even with no roof we all made the noise! Even in the old stand they was singing barmy army!!! :shock: Also enjoyed the sun better than having it pissin down :lol: Yeah kev spot on we made the atmopshere again, im sure stoke will be great to!
UTS :!:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 am

wfc_2uk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Yeah, just to the left of Percie singing "bent as your spire, your f*&"@":£ bent as your spire..." :lol:

So you hang around with "Freddy Flintoff"? :lol: Was it you that shouted "when Walsall get to the champions league will be the day I suck a c**k like a lollipop?! :shock:

Nah wasn't me mate. I would never use a sentance with the words Walsall and Champions League together. :)

Somebody in the pub said he looked like Freddie Flintoff, he wasn't with us though.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season