Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield v Walsall (A) - 21st January - League One

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Acuman

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Bernie In agree with everything you say, but with Standing when he has come on and played centre midfield he has performed, but he can not play wide. Pead struggled with Hurst in the second half, this in my opinion was partly due to poor covering by Standing who drifted inside rather than support Pead.
I thought Devlin did well and if he had continued I feel we would have won, in my view bringing on Constable to play upfront with Timms and move James out wide in place of Devlin would have worked better despite not havong the pace down the centre we would have still had it out wide

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:44 pm

I also assumed Merson would bring on Constable when Devlin was injured, and think we could have won if he had that.

Also when Devlin went off we still had two right wingers on the pitch, Wright and James. I haven't seen much of Dann, I suppose he cannot play left back, or else putting him at the back and Wright on the wing would have been another option.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:58 pm

My 320-mile round trip today was rewarded with another decent performance. Yet again we completely bossed the first half but could only go in with the scores level.

Timm was just out of this world, a sensational display, just brilliant. Good goal from him, brilliant through ball for our second, he was easily the best player on the pitch. Leary and Smith behind him had their hands full, with Chesterfield being excellent in midfield, but did OK, both getting into scoring positions, and the latter taking his goal well.

I was horrified to see Mark Wright playing at left back, but it was on the other flank where our problems lay, with all of Chesterfield's threat coming from that side, and Pead having a complete and utter shocker, an abysmal performance, constantly fouling (hardly a good idea given their aerial threat from set pieces), constantly giving the ball away, a horrible, horrible performance.

Westwood was booed before the game again but had another excellent game, and it was Gerrard who somehow contrived to allow Allison to stand unmarked in the six yard box for their first equaliser. Other than that, Antnee had another good game.

Ishmel was constantly targeted by them, obviously knowing about his temperament, and it got him into trouble again, and clearly worked because after he got booked he was very subdued. On the other flank Devlin started OK but didn't look match fit, showed a few glimpses of potential though. Looked like another hamstring pull for him going off. When Standing came on he was dreadful on the wing, but excellent when he moved inside (who'd have thought it?) We had a right winger playing up front, a right winger playing at left back, and a central midfielder playing on the right wing. Surely we should have brought Constable on and put James on the right? Admittedly, that would have meant 10 out of our 11 players were playing in their correct positions, so it probably didn't cross Merson's mind.

Credit to him though, it was a battling performance, a well-earned point, and if either Timm or James had scored when they had glorious opportunities in the second half to put us 3-1 up, we'd have won.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Played well today, should have put a few past them to be honest, good linking play from midfield again as Chesterfields idea was to lump it up to their big men up front.

We deserved all 3 points today, seems most of the negative points above were from people who weren't there!? :roll:

At last, I'm enjoying watching Walsall again, lets just hope we can make a few of these "Loanees" permanent additions.

PS I met the missus at Saltergate 12 years ago.... :? So it's a sentimental old scrapheap of a ground for me.....

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Very disappointing not to win, if Timm had put his one on one with the keeper away we'd have won it.

Allison was unmarked for their first but it seemed deliberate by Gerrard who left him on the edge of the 6 yard box to try and get him offside. When it wasn't given he couldn't get close to him after that.

I think all players had good games, even Mark Wright who didn't look out of place at left back! Only Standing looked out of place because he just hasn't got the tempo of our new look midfield which is making all the difference.

If we perform and run at Sjoke (not forgetting Swansea) with pace like that next week I really think we can get something with their confidence a bit low after recent results.

I hope we can take a couple of thousand fans to get behind the team because unlike other players earlier in the season, these new boys certainly respond to it.

I would also say (hope) that instead of fannying around waiting for other clubs to sign the players we put in the shop window that Merson goes to Bonser and makes offers NOW to get these loan players signed up before we lose them to other clubs like what usually happens. I'm really impressed with James especially, we should keep him up front. His work for the first goal was brilliant and we have someone to get on the end of Timm's through balls with his pace.

We were unfornuate again today but despite all these much improved performances we're not picking up the 3 points because we're missing Fryatt.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:16 pm

A thoroughly enjoyable game that we deserved to win. Whatever the situation with James is we should spend any cup money on signing him permanently. It's so much more exciting to see us sweeping forward wih pace and showing a threat. James's run into the box to set up the first goal was superb. SIGN HIM!
What a shame that Mads Timm couldnt score to make it 3-1 that would have capped a display of skill that is a cut above what you expect to see at this level. He works so hard chasing down defenders to try & regain possession as well. Unfortunately unless he has another motoring mishap this will not happen- shame but lets hope he can continue to show this level of skill.
Thought Westwood played really well- an excellent goalline clearance. Thought Wright deputised well at left back. Pity Devlin went off as he was a handful- lot tubbier than I imagined he would be for a speedy winger.
If we can attack with confidence like this then I dont see why we shouldnt beat Stoke. Hope Merson doesnt now tinker with things.

ps Nice to meet a very generous Geordie Saddler on train home!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:27 am

Report on line. I'm, afraid, having seen the goals on ITV this morning, both were rank bad defending.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:46 am

Couldn't see their second clearly enough, but I thought Murphy should have done better? He seemed to just stand and watch it go past him.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:50 am

Bristol Fan wrote:On the other flank Devlin started OK but didn't look match fit.

I'd be bloody worried if he didn't look match fit. He has played 23 times for Watford this season, been a virtual regular.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:12 am

Bristol Fan wrote:Couldn't see their second clearly enough, but I thought Murphy should have done better? He seemed to just stand and watch it go past him.

I thought that the second one was powerfully hit shot, which I don't think that Murphy could have saved, though he did not move much towards it.

What about the first goal? The header was from 12 yards out and, while being well placed, it was not moving very fast. Murphy appeared to move a little slowly towards it.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:27 am

Due to circumstances beyond my control only saw second half, but really enjoyed it, well worth 7 quid.

One minute could have been 3-1 next it was 2-2, but as I've said before all you can ask is for effort and entertainment and we got that. Wright at left back was a direct result of Merson not retaining cover so I'm afraid he has to cerry the can for that one.

Just pleased still to be 6 points clear of the drop. Hope its still 6 points by the middle of Feb. Agree we should now be making moves to sign Smith and James if they are surplus at their clubs - and Leary if he's available.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:38 pm

Totally agree. Yesterdays performance gave cause for greater optimism for the future, and on the back of the previous three games (though I admit I didn’t see Barnsley away) I feel it a tad spiteful to bang on about “only five points from the last eighteen” and such like. Yesterday wasn’t a disappointment, it was a positive, it was entertaining, and I enjoyed it. Merson’s deservedly been flailed in the past for some of the players he’s brought into the club. With this current batch he deserves to be roundly applauded. And you’re right Geordie, of those available for signing, they should be snapped up asap. I hope against hope that Bonser feels the same.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:53 pm

At the end of last year we won 8 games at home while playing badly. The reason we won some of those games was that we had Fryatt (remember Bournemouth, Rotherham, Yeovil, Hartlepool) .

In our last four matches we have played well but only won once. The reason we have not won more of those matches was that we no longer have Fryatt.

Fryatt could easily be worth 20 points a season to us. We may have already lost 5 points because he has not been available for us any more.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 pm

And Fryatt had JJ.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:11 pm

I get the impression that we seem to have fallen into the 'back in the good old days when we had Fryatt' syndrome already. Don't get me wrong, the kid was top drawer at this level, and I loved him (in a manner of speaking!) but it seems to me that based on what some people think, we never lost a game when he was in the side. The fact is we did. And if people can't see the overall improvement in the side over the past four matches, then I give up.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Salop, I think you need to read a lot closer what people write.

No one is denying the obvious improvement in performances which has been very welcome. But if you hadn't noticed the wins aren't coming, which is worrying. We were playing badly before and winning purely because of Fryatt's goals. Go and have a look at the stats for this season if you don't beleive us.

We've missed chances in the last few games that Fryatt would have scored and we'd have won. If Fryatt had played in front of this new look midfield we'd be far higher up this league.

The performances are encouraging but this is a results game and that's ultimately what matters. But if we continue playing like this then the results should follow. It looks like that we're going to score goals even without a goalscorer but we're still conceding silly goals which means we won't win. Look at the table, look at the games coming up.

Improved performances but draws or losses aren't going to be enough.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Indeed. We have, for nearly two seasons now, been in a position where we can score goals, but let them in because we're open, or defend well and then can't score.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:31 pm

Okay MMF, then why the silly little avatar campaign? Why all the planned protests? Why the WM phone-in furore? If people were so happy with playing badly and winning what was all the fuss about? One defeat at Ashton Gate? One or two people on this site run around like headless chickens scratching about like silly little maniacs looking for something to gripe about. So no matter what happens now, or in the future this group of malcontents will go on and on and on moaning, and complaining, come what may. So, where do you want it to go? A continuation of the last four games, for the best part outplaying opponents higher placed than ourselves, or a return to the previous twenty odd games which had a percieved majority of this site up in arms?
Last edited by Salop Saddler on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 pm

To win away from home we usually need to score 3 times because we routinely conceed at least 2. That is what prevents us from winning away from home more often that not, and yesterday was a prime example. Deserved the win but at 2-1 couldn't close the game out with either a third goal or by defending (retaining posession), because far too often the defending was in and around our box because time and time again we conceed posession and set-plays that enable the ball to be delivered into those areas. Do that often enough and eventually we will crack. Teams just don't generally put us under that kind of pressure at Bescot and that gives us a much easier ride at home IMO. The art to winning away in this league is art of the 1-0 win ala Graydon 98/99 - classic stuff. Instead of bringing in videos of himself playing for England Merson would be better served bringing in videos of that season's away games, and how a team playing 4-4-2 ratcheted up 13 away wins, 11 by the odd goal.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:51 pm

You're dead right. The same would be said for Nichol, who'd love nothing more than knicking one then shutting up shop. But he built a team to do that, and therein lies one of Merson's failings, I really believe that he has no grasp of the art of defending. He works to the Keegan rule of outscoring the opposition. It's nice when it works, but it doesn't work to often.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:You're dead right. The same would be said for Nichol, who'd love nothing more than knicking one then shutting up shop. But he built a team to do that, and therein lies one of Merson's failings, I really believe that he has no grasp of the art of defending. He works to the Keegan rule of outscoring the opposition. It's nice when it works, but it doesn't work to often.

Exactly. So how can you defend him so stoutly. Managers oversee the whole team, not just midfield and attack. They have to understand defending or at least get in a coach that does if they want to succeed.

You point above about the avatar campaign doesn't make sense. How much of that have you seen since these last four performances which is what you were originally referring to. At least be consistent with your arguments. On previous performances all of that was deserved and if you went to Bradford and Bristol City and all the other dismal previous away performances you know. It wasn't just "one defeat at Bristol City" at all.

Since the turn around there has been plenty more optimism in the performances but there are still major concerns in the balance of the squad, our defending, the fact that these improvements have been bought about by players that we are unlikely to keep long term (at least some). Are you also forgetting that this has happened before under Merson but he's still unable to make it happen over long periods.

If you can't see this then I suggest your own advice and "give up". There's no point in hoping everything is going to be ok. Performances have been excellent but we haven't won, to suggest we should ignore that is silly.

In the mean time we can all sit back and watch the new committment and entertainment from the players and wherever that takes us.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Well due to alot of drinking yesterday I decided to wait to give my match report.

I said 4 games ago that if Walsall didnt improve I would not go to the last few games of the season and wouldnt renew my season ticket, but yesterday it was a pleasure to watch (apart from the bad defended goals). I thought James,Leary and Smith all had good games again but what a game Timm had! He was outstanding. His vision and first touch was a joy to watch. Im going to defend Craig Pead :shock:, he didnt look that bad when devlin was helping him out for the first 10 minutes or so but as soon as Devlin went off Standing did not drop back and help Pead once! I think a little praise needs to go to Westie, the fans yet again seemed to get on his back again yesterday but he stuck two fingers up to them with an impressive display

Well done to the 20 or so Walsall fans I was standing with yesterday if it wasnt for us it would have been another quiet backing. Although Cheesbag did try his best to get the fans in the stand to put their feet through the wooden benches!! :P

Still no win but continue like this and we WILL be looking up rather than down.
Last edited by YGA Saddler on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm

I still can't believe people were getting on Westie's back and Pead and Wright. Pead did well yesterday and stuck to his task despite being under lots of pressure in the second half.

PS - Can anyone explain to me how Timm manages to drag his foot over the ball so often while running at full pelt? Impossible!

sean511
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:55 pm

well done walsall lets go and beat swansea now.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:14 pm

MMF, as you said, you need to read a lot closer what people write. Other than saying credit where credits due with regard to the present intake of loanees, where have I defended Merson 'so stoutly'? Show me.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:To win away from home we usually need to score 3 times because we routinely conceed at least 2. That is what prevents us from winning away from home more often that not, and yesterday was a prime example. Deserved the win but at 2-1 couldn't close the game out with either a third goal or by defending (retaining posession), because far too often the defending was in and around our box because time and time again we conceed posession and set-plays that enable the ball to be delivered into those areas. Do that often enough and eventually we will crack. Teams just don't generally put us under that kind of pressure at Bescot and that gives us a much easier ride at home IMO. The art to winning away in this league is art of the 1-0 win ala Graydon 98/99 - classic stuff. Instead of bringing in videos of himself playing for England Merson would be better served bringing in videos of that season's away games, and how a team playing 4-4-2 ratcheted up 13 away wins, 11 by the odd goal.

spot on.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:MMF, as you said, you need to read a lot closer what people write. Other than saying credit where credits due with regard to the present intake of loanees, where have I defended Merson 'so stoutly'? Show me.

Surely by attacking our previous negativity and Merson Out feelings you are defending Merson? From your posts from memory you have always argued with us when we are negative about him...hence the line "one defeat against Bristol City" when all people who want Merson Out know it is much more than that.

I may be confusing you with Shropshire Saddler. In which case I apologise but from your above comments it seems you are having a go at us because we want Merson Out in which case you are defending him.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:40 pm

On Merson, I have stated, openly, that he would not have been my choice as manager, and I stand by that. No experience, no understanding of the lower leagues and more importantly no understanding of Walsall FC. On the protests, no I don't support them mainly because we have an owner who doesn't listen, no matter how loud they are, and as for those who wish to have Merson out, good luck to you. Take it up with the owner, because ultimately it's for him to decide.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:46 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:On Merson, I have stated, openly, that he would not have been my choice as manager, and I stand by that. No experience, no understanding of the lower leagues and more importantly no understanding of Walsall FC. On the protests, no I don't support them mainly because we have an owner who doesn't listen, no matter how loud they are, and as for those who wish to have Merson out, good luck to you. Take it up with the owner, because ultimately it's for him to decide.

Which is what we were saying at the time Salop. The only way Bonser would have listened is if protests were made. Otherwise how does he know the discontent of the fans?

As you say he's not going anywhere now so there is no point for any more protests unless we get dragged into a relegation fight. All we can do is get behind the team but make our concerns known on here which is the whole idea of a forum.

I wonder/hope (again) if the writing is on the wall for Merson in the Summer? All these temporary loan players, even Devlin only signed until the end of the season. I wonder if Bonser is giving Merson his last chance and waiting until the end of the season to get rid because surely he'd have let him bring in more permanent signings for all the ones we've lost?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:On Merson, I have stated, openly, that he would not have been my choice as manager, and I stand by that. No experience, no understanding of the lower leagues and more importantly no understanding of Walsall FC. On the protests, no I don't support them mainly because we have an owner who doesn't listen, no matter how loud they are, and as for those who wish to have Merson out, good luck to you. Take it up with the owner, because ultimately it's for him to decide.

I wonder/hope (again) if the writing is on the wall for Merson in the Summer? All these temporary loan players, even Devlin only signed until the end of the season. I wonder if Bonser is giving Merson his last chance and waiting until the end of the season to get rid because surely he'd have let him bring in more permanent signings for all the ones we've lost?

Exactly what I said to the people around me at the match yesterday MMF.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season